Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I worked retail (cart hustling then cashier for a few years followed by pharm tech for a decade) for sixteen years before I caught my IT break.

I’m currently on two weeks leave because I have to use it or lose it over 40 hours. I hadn’t used my leave because I can basically work whenever the gently caress I want so long as I get done what needs done or fix what needs fixed.

I’m in applications babysitting now. I’ve rolled out automated onboarding and am about to roll out automated offboarding so people think I work way more than I do. It’s kinda wild. The larger IT team (like 40 people) historically has been relatively non-technical by Real IT standards (and even I’m just dabbling in scripting) so I look like I’m way more competent than I am (I mean I’m alright, but not as good as they think I am).

I find that I actually feel bad because I used to literally grind away standing for 8+ hours a day for a fraction of what I make now. It’s like… what I did then was way more punishing. Now everyday is whatever I want it to be (with periods of dealing with people or break fix stuff).

It’s really not fair how badly retail people have it. I find myself thinking how many people like me are still stuck there and just… mentally rotting away like I was. Sucks rear end. There has to be a better way to show people what they’re capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Our SharePoint dev left the company and they’ve saddled me with it around six months ago — I’ve been cleaning up where I can, but it’s a nightmare of 800ish classic and modern sites. Relatively little custom js thankfully. Mostly Power Automate automation (for simple things usually, notifications, stuff like that).

Given how painfully broad SharePoint is, is there a place I can see best practices from someone who knows their poo poo or has lived through my hell already? I’ve been fixing things where I can, but given that our org has so wisely decided not to backfill the position, I’d like to be sure that my fixes aren’t future land mines.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Beyond ESI and learn.microsoft.com, i've found about365 to be a decent source of info for share point and power automate(the owner of the site will happily reply to inquiries as long as you are not pulling his leg in doing work for free).

That’s useful information for sure, bookmarked.

My primary issue is that while I can parse the documentation on how to do a thing in SharePoint, I don’t have anyone with the long view experience with it to say “Hey, what you’re doing is a fantastic idea/is poo poo and won’t work because [reasons].”

The plus side of it is that the environment has historically been chaos so I can do whatever I want more or less. So I guess I’m looking more at where I can find broad strokes on best practices.

As an example, I’ve instituted job title based dynamic Azure groups to simplify access and ensure that all users have access to the base SharePoint hub (this used to be manual, why, loving why). So I know that the dynamic job title groups work, but how can I be sure that there’s not a glaring flaw that I’m missing? I don’t have someone with that experience to keep me from loving things up even more or to let me know what I don’t know.

I know this is super broad, but I feel like a major platform that the business relies on being dumped on you as an afterthought gives incredibly strong “working in IT” thread vibes

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

gently caress printers for real

The newer HP ones are actually p decent though both from a management and user UI standpoint

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

That actually makes me feel better about my shop, Jesus Christ

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

KS posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. I had a whole line of T470s that commonly lost wifi with the shipping driver until a full power down, and more recently the lightning chip in HP Zbooks would require it. We'd get a ticket for a dead lightning dock and reliably know we could full shutdown to fix it.

Full shutdown being "hold shift, choose shutdown, hold till PC turns off." Not disabling hybrid shutdown. Restarting also as far as I know doesn't do it.

Those Lenovo gen 2 USB-C docks eat poo poo. Straight garbage when they came out. The 495 series was dogshit too and gently caress soldered RAM. 2019-2020 was a poo poo year hardware wise for Lenovo. Probably still is, but my rear end doesn’t deal with it anymore.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I’ve been doing this for a while, I tell people the same thing every time. I want to get you paid as much as humanly possible. Give me a number where you’d be happy with half of it and I will relay that to the person holding the purse strings when it comes to a raise. If it’s already budgeted in a way that makes you happy congratulations we were going to do the right thing anyways. Not naming a number for a raise does you zero good, it’s easier for me to figure this out now then disappoint you come raise time and arguing about it with a VP at that point. I also haven’t worked anywhere with policies for raises, we get a bucket of money we divide between people however we see fit so if we need more to keep people happy we need to know.

See, you’re working in the interest of your employees. That can never be assumed on the employee’s end, especially if your shop has a corporate culture to it. It sucks.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

poo poo that cracked me up today: “We can’t move our workload to the cloud. The POC we ran showed our workloads run slower in the cloud so it’s literally unusable. Also we have classified documents and we can’t allow any cloud provider to read them”.

Have people *always* been this incompetent or is it just a recent rise in the tide of people incapable of basic thought?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Calling something out as a problematic term and then using it anyway is my favorite kind of "I'm not racist, but"

I mean for most terms I think I’d agree, but isn’t greybeard kind of a respectful term (esp in the context OP used it)?

To me it’s basically saying that the person you’re referring to is a wizard

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

App13 posted:

You’ll have to adopt his beard of course

Now I’m just picturing the Santa Clause but with a middle aged IT person who instantly regrows a beard if it’s shaven

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

where's the teams integration

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm going to ask astral to make all posts in SH/SC go through that filter.

Oh my gently caress make a whole forum that but don’t tell them

Wait can we do this to dnd

Asking for a friend

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

i fully endorse this move if cspam gets a rudeness rewriter

Keep going, I’m almost there

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

While we’re talking ergo, if you work from home or sit 8+ hours a day, don’t cheap out on your office chair. I was getting all kinds of little pains. Got talked into an Embody (a p big investment of my uncommitted cash) and oh my gently caress I will never go back.

Now I’m the biggest Embody stan on the planet Buy once cry once and have a spine and legs that love you.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I cannot echo this enough. And we even have a chair thread right here in SH/SC!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Also, an electric standup desk (+standing mat) and an easily adjustable monitor mount. IMO, it's really important to be able to adjust how you're working. Human beings weren't meant to be in the same spot all day every day and no matter how "correct" your ergonomics is, you need to be able to move throughout the day.

That chair thread is gold. The most expensive office chair is nothing compared to back pain or leg pain. Love yourself and get a top tier office chair, it actually matters and will save you money in the long run.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sepist posted:

I have have been iffy about dropping a lot of money on a chair. I had a Herman Miller aeron for many years and only when I became a permanent wfh person in 2019 did I discover that the chair was actually painful to my thighs to sit in for long durations. Considering that's a top tier chair I have been reluctant to spend a bunch of money on another chair that's not gonna cut it. I'm using a staples mesh chair right now that's not comfy in different ways. Maybe my body just hates mesh

The Aeron is good, but the Embody is better (and more top tier-er)— no mesh there either and a 12 year warranty.

Inner Light posted:

I'm not a medical professional but I would recommend a physical therapist more than a massage therapist or chiropractor. Depending on your jurisdiction, PTs may have more rigorous licensing requirements than massage people or chiro people. Not going to wade too deep into chiropractic here in this thread but suffice to say, there are many open questions w/r/t peer reviewed evidence that chiropractic treatment is effective vs. placebo. Unfortunately, jurisdictions in the US tend to allow chiropractors to make very wide claims about what their treatments will address, with little or no evidence to support it.

(IMHO! I make this rant whenever I can squeeze it in, and I haven't heard a good counterargument yet besides "let people do what they want". Yeah, sure, but I start to have a problem when businesses market medical treatments or cures that have no evidence of efficacy)

Thanks for saving me the effort of phone posting this

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

The Mirra 2 is a better chair than an Aeron and half the price of an Embody

There could be better chairs for sure at half the Embody’s price, I just found what worked for me.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah the master series is solid. The first version has been my work daily driver at work for years. I use the Logitech G502 at home, for work and for games.

I use an Arctis Nova Pro headset. Hot swappable batteries, solid noise cancelling, retractable built in side mic, doesn’t look terribly gamer trashy and has great sound. Pairs via WiFi if you’re worried about latency or via Bluetooth (with separate power buttons for each so no pairing inconvenience; the headset controls are great but notably lack a next track and previous track for music). Super loving comfortable, but you might have to take them off for a minute if you get hot.

Noise cancelling is life changing if you’re an ADHD dumbshit like me and that headset is super intuitive with no bullshit third party apps required. Highly recommend.

Inner Light posted:

Once you get it running, make sure you scroll real fast once in each direction. There's a servo / magnet in there that disengages like a clutch and it's fun to play around with all day.

And this loving owns on the Master series. The best fidget spinner.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

My team (business applications) is the only team showing online in our entire IT department

lol, lmao

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Oh for sure, I’ve been monitoring our queue and making my family a big rear end breakfast (which is still more work than everyone else going by our queue)

Yknow the important poo poo

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm on Day 12 of covid today so that's supposed to mean I'm all good, but apparently these lingering symptoms can last for literally months which I am not please about

Hope you feel better soon IE

I had OG Covid in 2020 and my sense of smell & taste has never come back fully

On the plus side I have a bonus to fart resistance so I mean I kinda won in the end really

dont florida shame lest ye bring the wrath of Florida man upon ye

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 24, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

It was a sunny 22 degrees in Florida for Christmas and we were all losing our poo poo.

Yeah, my old boss sent me a picture of his mom’s place in north Florida with ice coming from their outside tap

Floridians lose their minds over this because snow and ice are very much not things here

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

C suite user: “Give person X the same SharePoint access as person Y. Thank you.”

*their department site (that I’m assuming c suite wants the access for) was set up years before SharePoint was dumped in my lap*

*site has literally 126 lists, subsites, libraries with unique permissions*

*site had no groups set up and default groups are not present in majority of subsites*

fuuuuuuuuck this should be so simple the person who built this had their whole head in their rear end

This isnt even my job, they didn’t backfill the SharePoint person, ahhhhhhhhh

:negative:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

sharepoint is the absolute worst

Now imagine that your business relies on it for a couple vital business processes then doesn’t backfill the position for going on 8 months and then dumps it in your lap because they saw the word Power Automate on a SharePoint site and they know you’ve worked with Power Automate

gently caress

E: with no raise lmao

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

i am a moron — is there any “SharePoint best practices” type poo poo you’re aware of that would be a good resource to reference? Because I don’t want to think I’m making positive changes only to find that I hosed it through the core of the planet

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

The best practice is whatever you do, your replacement will think it's poo poo and redo everything.

goddamn i loving hate sharepoint

just lol, lmao

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah just tell that carebear that it’s so the business gets what it needs for future growth blah blah blah

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Don't use it. This is not a joke. Are you on O365 or on-prem?

O365. There are over 750 sites for a company with 4000 people. Only about 50 get used regularly. Multiple sites are business critical and held together with spit and bubble gum from the on prem days.

If it wasn’t just something dumped on me, I’d really push to unfuck it, but this is one thing in a list of other dumb poo poo and I’m already doing other teams jobs and trying to fix their poo poo (like automating onboarding and finding out that our infrastructure team had no idea that a group assigned to all users gave all users modify access to all other user’s network drives, I mean what in the actual gently caress)

And now adderall is on a national backorder and I’m just turbofucked lmao

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

i am a moron posted:

A roughly 5:1 theoretical user to site ratio means you’re already hosed. I was gonna say you need to ignore ALL Microsoft advice about structuring the sites and how to use them and those loving terrible hierarchies they used to recommend because it’s a path to site bloat. Divide sites by RBAC and RBAC only, let people dump their poo poo in there and tell them to piss up a rope or learn SP themselves for the rest. Nowadays you just use teams as a front end and ignore the SP component entirely because it’s a loving mess comparatively and an easier sell to end users because it’s less confusing

If people are using workflows that’s another cat that’s out of the bag. They’re dumb and brittle and power automate has usurped their spot in the ecosystem entirely. The answer is never to replace them for people though, you gotta throw it over the wall at the business and tell them to use their time to learn power automate cause yours is too precious.

Whoever said that you should use an MSP is on the right track, tbh I would be hitting up offshoring for this. You can get a SP admin for $15/hr and the offshore companies can be very flexible with how they structure contracts stuff like T/M with 24/7 coverage isn’t unheard of. There is 0 value in adminning a SaaS product whose own company is relegating it to a really clunky rear end backend for their other apps

Yeah, RBAC was my gut instinct. I’ve made dynamic job title groups for every title in the environment now and have gotten some of the high traffic sites over to them. I’ve made a push to get site owners to manage their poo poo too because just lol at having to share a site because the people are too stupid to click share and enter a name

On the plus side, I really enjoy working with Power Automate; the desktop version has been a gentle way to learn all sorts of coding adjacent poo poo. SharePoint has kinda been choking out my PA time though.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

mllaneza posted:

You can do RBAC right, or you can spend your career copying an existing user's access to a new hire. My group goes extra spicy on RBAC because we support GxP systems in QC and Manufacturing, where instrument operators cannot, cannot, be allowed to access anything even adjacent to the data they're collecting.

And we still had a Deviation declared because a file share being retired and migrated broke a data transfer script in QC. That was hugely annoying but very much Not Our Fault.

I'd still like to know why standing up a new physical NAS doesn't involve cloning the old system and re-using the hostname. That must be hard or something.

I guarantee our infrastructure guys don’t even know what RBAC means

I’ve made all the changes (and documented them because that poo poo matters) in the process of automating things so they don’t have to do it anymore. Also so managing SharePoint is less poo poo.

Basically I just wanna work with people who want to make poo poo work and do poo poo in a way that makes things better for everyone and oh my gently caress am I just over the poo poo

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I am Florida man and my family is obsessed with Disney and we have annual passes

Please send help

E: I’ve heard that Disney is either the best or worst IT gig from people who may or may not be right

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

The only allowable reason to go to a Disney property while over the age of 13 is to accompany someone 12 or younger

Seeing genuine joy on your small relatives faces is sincerely p rad

KillHour posted:

Said like someone who has never gotten drunk at Epcot or eaten their own weight in noodles and Lapu-Lapu's at the Polynesian or had really wild rear end sex in a bed that looks like a pirate ship.

Unfortunately, door number one above precludes option two. And pirate loving will land you at door number one, so I’ve heard

:smith:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

What’s the key to juggling jobs like that? Just not giving a gently caress? Throwing zero shade here, I respect the hustle; companies sure don’t mind throwing two times the work at you so nothing wrong with having two jobs

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Also it helps if you’re actually good at your job. If you’re half competent then you’ll be massively outperforming the average quality of work done by people around you, there will never be any reason to suspect you’re juggling two jobs and it simply won’t get investigated further.

I’ve got most of my current job automated so yeah, what y’all have said makes sense.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve created a scheduled power automate flow that runs every ten seconds and sends an api call to every thread that’s ever been created to check for new reports

no i don’t know why the forums crashed when I rolled out this change, it was approved by IE

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

what is this "api" you speak of??

Wait, for real, what

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’m personally always grateful when someone tells me they’re an MBA in their sig so I know I can safely ignore whatever they have to say

I don’t mind reasonable other poo poo like MS or maybe your most prestigious cert if you’re trying to pull weight or something

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

7 months in and can confirm the A+ taught me absolutely nothing of value and was a complete waste of time

At this point I'm only doing certs my org will pay for

Yeah I’m considering SharePoint certs just so I can tell my org to pay me for what they already have me doing or I walk

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Jet fuel can’t melt AD trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Fool posted:

FreshService

FreshService is my baby where I’m at — it’s allowed me to automate the poo poo parts of my job by having people submit ticket templates that require the information needed to get them what they want.

Super useful for service desk guys too. Canned responses, automations that trigger based on executing a scenario.

The change management is p solid too

It has some glaring flaws here and there but goddamn if it isn’t pretty great overall

They have some of the best API documentation I’ve ever seen. Absolutely love their API.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2023