Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

lampey posted:

Does anyone have an environment where the DC is remote via a site to site vpn? How much latency is tolerable?
Remote from what? Latency for what operation? I have remote users whose desktops authenticate and pull group policy from remote DCs, get files from remote file servers, etc etc. I've never had a problem, nor would I expect to. Latency across sites is about 12ms round trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You hate driving the company van enough that you're willing to buy a station wagon and have to drive that all the time? You're either making a sacrifice in fuel mileage or aesthetics for the benefit of your employer. Just make sure that's worth it to you.

Having said that, I drive a pickup truck (Chevy Colorado, so not a crazy big one), but it has nothing to do with my job. It's nice to be able to throw something dirty in the back of it, drive through snow, and tow stuff once in a while. It helps that I walk to work, so I'm not fuel economy sensitive. I bought a used diesel Jetta as a commuter car when I had a long commute.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

There was even one person, he told us, who had quit his practice as a neurosurgeon to work for Microsoft. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.
If there's anyone who could help you wrap your head around something, it's a neurosurgeon :haw:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I probably spend $100-120 CAD/week here, including work lunches which is a cheap cafeteria, but I try and buy fresh ingredients rather than packaged poo poo.

It's funny when Americans get shocked at how expensive food can be elsewhere :)

And it's dumb when non-Americans generalize about Americans based on anecdotes. I'm American and I spend more than you on food. Enjoy that extra anecdote.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

As an SQL novice, what are the chances that I'd accidentally write a query using READ-ONLY access and bring down the database?

IANADBA, but a lovely select like you're sure to write, on a database that isn't configured "correctly" can block writes for the duration of your select. So it's understandable to keep you out of it.

However, if it's not sensitive data, and it's small enough, perhaps they'll set you up with a recent backup and SQL express (assuming mssql) to dick around with.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have 100% company owned and provisioned Blackberry 10 devices controlled through BES which I run. I work in an unusually secure environment though, BYOD will never happen.

I am so sorry.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

75 or so machines on our LAN, 5 at another location (connected full time by VPN), and handful of laptops who are who knows where.

Why not use msra.exe? The built-in tool with the worst file name. Won't help with the laptops though, unless they're connected via VPN.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

mewse posted:

If the power is continuous but the data side goes down then surely the problem is not with the power injectors?

The power injector needs to pass data through and could fail to do so, but I think he's doing that mainly to reset the phone, not the power injector.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone here use FSO comms in production? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

A job I used to work at used it, and I'm considering it right now. Part of our company is moving across the street to another office building with line of sight. Our building only has Verizon and they have Comcast, so I'm thinking of proposing we both double our bandwidth then make an FSO link to each other, so we both have a backup if either ISP has an outage.

Edit: I'm seeing some have hybrid laser and RF for the rare occasions when heavy fog/snow would attenuate the laser.

Why wouldn't you just use a regular wireless bridge? Ubiquiti makes great stuff for this application, and you can get a pair of NanoStations for like $100.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Well, FSO isn't subject to wireless interference and I'm in the middle of Boston in an office building, our Ruckus network is already suffering from heavy interference.

BTW, Ubiquiti are a bunch of loving clowns, their most vaunted feature Zero Handoff is basically still in alpha, I bought all their poo poo 2 years ago and everything about them was just painful as hell and one of my biggest IT regrets.

Sucks to be you. Zero handoff works fine for me, but I wasn't talking about their APs anyway. Their bridges are fine, especially for your application. Or go with your laserbeams, whatever.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Ever get busy, not check the threads for a while, then get overwhelmed by being several thousand pages behind? Yeah that's me. I'm catching myself back up, and while doing that realized it's November. Did we want to do another goon thumbdrive thing this year?

The ones from last year don't work on macs. If you do it again, you should find better ones?

Having said that, mine still opens beer as well as the day I got it!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Golbez posted:

OK, so the job two hours away is making an offer. The other two jobs that I'd much rather have are not ready yet, are both in the early stages. I'm not 100% sure I'll get either. What are the ethics of saying yes to job A, but in the next two weeks before I join them I get a better deal and say sorry for wasting for time, and go with the others?

Don't take a job two hours away unless you plan to move. It sounds like you don't plan to move.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

True, I assumed he was driving. I did an hour each way for over a year, but it was 55 miles each way on a highway that was at capacity so everyone had to be riding each other's bumper at 80mph and traffic would jam up at the slightest tap of someone's brakes and it was basically two hours (at minimum) of white-knuckle stress every day. I moved and now walk to work, and it's the most zen commute and gives me that 15 minutes of wind-down time without having to deal with other drivers. I would have much preferred two hours by train to the hour drive though.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Misogynist posted:

It depends on how your data is coming in. If you're mostly dealing with bog-standard UDP syslog and trying to make it act like Splunk with rules and matchers, good luck. Generally, you'll have much better luck running the agents where you need them and making sure the data coming into Logstash is structured JSON to begin with.

On the other hand, if your applications have the ability to log structured JSON in the first place, you'll do much better. For this reason, Logstash seems to work a lot better with in-house apps than off-the-shelf stuff. For random unstructured logs from every device in your infrastructure, I'd shell out the money for Splunk if it was important.

I just set up Logstash and this is what I don't get. They created a product that can do the job of Splunk with some tweaking, but seem utterly baffled when people choose to use it that way (not literally, but the documentation is geared towards Lumberjack only and basically ignores syslog). I mean I get it, its better for custom stuff where you can create JSON before sending to Logstash, but syslog is a thing that exists already. The filters I've found online for Cisco ASA syslogs don't work (grok failures), but that could be Cisco's fault for not being consistent I guess.

I really don't know what my point is other than it's so close to being a Splunk replacement, but is determined to do its own slightly different thing.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

flosofl posted:

But expect them to seize everything that could be peripherally related, so start spinning up the DR plan immediately, even if you do end up standing down. You'll look like a god drat hero when the transition is a matter of hours at most if they do get overzealous in the investigation.

Can you expand on this? Are they grabbing SANs? What about servers and switches and firewalls that don't store anything anyway? Do they even know what it is they're taking?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

adorai posted:

They aren't going to seize your SAN. What they might do is ask you to prevent writes to it until they can complete their investigation, which could require you to fail over to your DR site, depending on the specifics of your organization. I would snapshot and clone it and more or less build a new environment for it just like i would for test.

Ok, this is what I was looking for. I'm not worried that it's going to happen, but I'm in the process of rewriting all sorts of policies and wasn't sure why the failover was recommended. Sounds like a set of snapshots and a clone like you said is best, but I might throw a failover in the procedure just in case.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Danith posted:

Is there any recommended Open University-like thing for USA? Seems like theres very few options available if you aren't in Europe.

Coursera? The Cryptography course is great. They have programming courses, as well.

edit: I might not actually know what Open University is.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

evol262 posted:

I think it may actually be an attempt at a puppet megathread. I'll find it...

It's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654103

Considering the OP of that Puppet thread is a big warning not to use Puppet, I think it makes more sense to make a general config management thread. I'd really like one since I'm trying to find a good fit for my environment between Chef and DSC. I can make the thread if no one else wants to, but the OP will be mostly pulled from marketing info since I'm not very familiar yet with all the offerings.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bhodi posted:

:drat:

Someone do this, I'm not making two megathreads in a day. I've deployed chef, puppet, and ansible at this point, so I can talk a little about it.

If nobody else wants to, I'll do this tomorrow.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I posted this in the iPhone thread, but this is probably the better place for it:

Does anybody use an MDM in a corporate environment that they like? I only need about 30 device licenses, and Airwatch seemed like a good deal until I found out that the installation cost is 3 times the cost of the licenses. I just need a way to install certificates on devices for VPN and 802.1x, and enforce a passcode (and maybe a few other simple things). Since the iOS profile settings are standard, I assume any MDM can do these things. I'm hoping for something to host on prem that costs less than say 75$/device (ongoing support cost is fine).

It's not that I'm cheap, it's that Airwatch was in the no-brainer category, and assured me that yes, $50/device is the cost, you won't get any surprises, and then surprise you actually have to pay $250/device because we're dishonest. Now I have to shop around, and MDM is super boring and I don't give a poo poo about it and the Airwatch guy doesn't seem to get that that's why I'm annoyed.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Eonwe posted:

if you were the manager hiring someone doing entry level database development stuff (like basic SQL stuff etc starting out)

what kind of questions do you think you'd ask someone you were interviewing

We just went through hiring for two positions, both needing SQL knowledge. The first thing I did was draw two sets of objects on the board with a many to many relationship and asked them to describe how they would store them in a database. If there weren't three tables involved, they failed the SQL section. It was amazing how many people couldn't get that, and even more amazing how complicated the wrong solutions were.

After that we did some hands-on with them sitting in front of a computer with a sample database, writing queries. I found that way more helpful than having them describe queries. You can watch how they whittle away at the queries to find the right data (and whether they spend too much time fumbling) vs. regurgitating a query onto the board and having to tell them whether it's correct or not. This is in addition to standard questions like meanieface mentioned.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Full contribution to 401k crew what what.

I'm gong to use the word "hurt" here even though it's not the right word. You know it's not the right word but I can't think of a better one, but you understand the spirit of what I'm trying to say.

Does anyone else feel like marriage and family hurts your career more in IT than in other professions? Three, four times a week I see people staying at the office late, working on this and that. And each time I'm like, welp I guess I won't be getting that experience.

Stupid freakin family always hurting my career and poo poo. But yeah no, you know what I mean. IT more than any job short of like "character on The West Wing" seems like a job which is given to after hours projects. Staying late with a last minute idea to re architect your environment, write some Powershell, P2V some servers, etc.

Sometimes I'll be at the office late working on something, talking through stuff with others, or whatever else because I enjoy it. But, more often, I leave between 5 and 6 to go to one of several rehearsals during the week or other commitments. That's what you're losing out on by having kids - the option to do things outside of work. A single person can work 60 hours, or they can work a reasonable amount and also do things after work. It's totally their choice, and it's that choice you gave up by having a family.

You should feel no obligation to work late, and you should not feel bad about not being able to due to a family. It's possible that you would instead choose to do non-work related stuff with the extra time if you didn't have a family. But you do.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

I was just handed a wiki page on Sharepoint and a powerpoint from some company about SharePoint, told to learn it and that we would be deploying it/utilizing it sometime in the future and I would be the point person on it, and if I needed any books they would be purchased for me.

Any recommendations?

Run away.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You still can't virtualize OS X per the licensing, correct? Are these hosting companies just warehousing stacks of mac minis and calling it the cloud?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

(Unless they changed it) you can virtualize it in ESXi, as long as it's running on Apple hardware.
Xserves were actually very pretty. It's a shame Apple stopped making them.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

Ugh. Yeah they were pretty, but anything where you can eject a disk by accidentally pushing on a large portion of the front of the server is just not designed by someone with any experience of how business IT functions.

Case in point, my onsite tech a few days ago, when instructed to remove an old ESXi host, informed me a few minutes later that he'd pulled power on the wrong host. The one that was temporarily hosting all the VMs at that client.

:ughh:

Basically, make it easy for people to gently caress up and they will. Form should never trump function in servers of all goddamn things. (And because I don't particularly like Xserves, naturally I still have to support two of them running 10.5 and 10.6 hosting a lovely Sharepoint clone my client paid a fast-talking Mac zealot developer $1m to create. Actually one Xserve, the other one won't boot now. Why were they different editions of OSX? No clue! Especially since the point was that one would be a hot standby. Luckily that's the one that died. I can't wait for the other one to croak).

Absolutely form over function. That reminds me that at the job where we had Xserves, they would sag under their own weight after a while in the rack. :laffo:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Unfortunately Slack doesn't cover any sort of data retention requirements (though they plan to in the future). We were able to get what we need on that front from Hipchat Server (in painful ways) if you have regulatory needs. These products are written by developers who seem to have never worked in a regulated industry and are astonished that anyone would need to log 1-to-1 messages.

Hipchat integrates well with other Atlassian products, has an on-prem version (though it's more expensive than it ought to be), and most importantly also has inline gif support.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sefal posted:

Embarrassed myself today a bit. A senior tech asked me to install a new server that will act as a sftp server using filezilla. I build the server. Find out sftp is supported by filezilla. I find another applications. Coreftp i think. Install that, configure it. At that point. I tried connecting to it from the outside. Hmm didnt work. Inside worked. So im wondering why our public ip isnt working. The senior tech comes over and starts looking at it with me. He says no that wont work. Look at what u are entering. I respond with. Yeah the fqdn. He then says. What does an fqdn need? Nothing hits me. He gives me another hint. Remember that company that had issues with connecting their internet. Where did the hackers attack them at. Then it hits me. DNS. I configure the alias record. The senior tech then showed me how to add an ip adress to our sftp server at our provider. He then configures the firewall to let the server through. I go test it again. Its not working. 30 minutes later. After looking at the forwarded traffic. Turns out i didnt add the application through the server firewall.

You should be more embarrassed by your written communication style.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. Turns out I won't be able to try that for a while, though. I'm not sure how he expected us to configure his home printer while he is on a business trip.

E: I think he just doesn't want to be limited to sitting close to the printer. We have a stockpile of 15' cables, though. If he doesn't have a proper hostname, I'm telling him he has to use the USB cable. I'm not setting his POS photosmart again in a few months when WSD stops working.

Maybe just buy him a reliable printer. The cost will be less than the time you are/will put into supporting his pile of poo poo home inkjet. Or even better - if he doesn't have a specific business need to print at home, tell him gently caress off.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't see a thread anywhere in SH/SC, CoC, or BFC about hiring developers or people in general. I've had luck with past hires, but I'm having a hard time finding someone to fill a current opening and was seeing if there was a place to discuss the process in general, and if not, if there's interest in a thread? It could even be a more general management thread if that would make more sense.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

IPv6 eliminates the need for NAT, but not firewalls. Just make sure your cybertoilet is behind a quality home firewall. Hopefully one will exist by then.

I'm more worried about not being able to flush until I install updates :ohdear:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sheep posted:

Could be worse, the top brass at my company decided my salary by asking what some buddy of the CEO thought I should make based solely upon my (grossly inaccurate) job title, so there wasn't even anyone looking at things like market averages or anything, just what some random person who doesn't even work for us and has no idea what I do thought I should make.

I consider myself lucky though as that's really my only qualm with this job.

Your only qualm with your career is that you're not paid fairly?

RFC2324 posted:

Why not linux tho, I can just write up my own lovely protocols.

Well, flushing wouldn't make any sound.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You help him immediately either way because you're on a team, not competing against each other.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, imagine the drives can only store 1 bit each. 4 drives with 3 bits of data and one parity bit, which is 0 if the sum of the 3 data bits is even, 1 if it's odd (one way to do it). Lose any one drive and you can figure out what the missing bit is, no matter which drive it was. Same thing works for 400 drives with 399 data bits.

This is why reading from a degraded RAID 5 is slow, because the controller is doing the parity operation on the fly to fill in those missing bits. And writing to RAID 5 is slow because it's calculating parity as it writes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I get into this argument a lot, actually. I do not clean my inbox and I do not mark things as read if I haven't read them. Search exists and I use flags to drive my workflow, not read/unread. I save a lot of time not cleaning my inbox and whenever I need an email I have it, unlike my more "organized" coworkers.

I read (or mark as read) all email and archive it if I don't need to reply or address it. Things in my inbox are things I still need to address. This was a change in behavior from just keeping everything in the inbox and relying on search, because I would forget to do things. It works for me but I have no strong opinion on whether it's appropriate for others. Just do what you need to do to not forget stuff.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Then the question becomes 'how do I get on the network with my iPad', and then you say "what do you need to do with it", then you explain how you can get Outlook without the VPN, get on the ERP system without the VPN, the only thing you can't do is get your 'files' which doesn't matter because you don't have Word/Excel and if you buy them for the iPad you're not going to like them so get the gently caress out of my face random manager dude.

Or they can use one of several remote desktop apps on the app store that support a Remote Desktop Gateway, including the one from Microsoft.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It might have been the VAR that we bought it through, but everything is a licensed feature, loads of stuff that would be "read the KB" with other vendors needs you to pay them to do it, there's a huge setup fee up-front. It just felt like the Oracle/SAP of MDM. And it seemed to lag behind the other stuff we were evaluating at getting on board when the mobile OSes changed - e.g. VPP/DEP in the iOS app store vs stuff like Casper and MaaS360.

Airwatch's pricing is loving stupid. The $50/device annually sounded fine, so I contacted sales, sat through their webinar, and when the quote came in for $10,000 for 50 devices, I was like what in the gently caress. The sales guy was like "oh yeah there's a $5,000 setup fee and $2,500 of something else" (I don't remember anymore and I honestly don't care). When I balked he requoted at like $45/device/year which brought it down $250. Guy, I don't think you get the issue.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

After further review, I'm amending my statement to say "All this talk of ridiculous commutes reaffirms my decision to live in a medium-sized Virginia city that is not in DC hell"

Visiting our office in your city reaffirmed my decision to work at the office in my city :)

edit: especially since I walk to work.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Hahaha, I didn't know you all had a real office here. Next time let me know and I'll take you to lunch/HH.

We did (it was even our billing address until recently), but it's down to 1 person plus another small office out near Charlottesville, so I haven't visited in a while. If I do I'll hit you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

That's measuring the ratio of rush hour to non-rush hour, which just means Vancouver has light traffic sometimes. Some cities never have light traffic, certainly not on a daily basis.