Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Plus, everybody knows zombies represent mindless conformity and consumerism. Beware media studies pareidolia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The world is an endless parade of meaningless lights and noises, and I must have an authority figure give me permission to understand them.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Goon Danton posted:

The world is an endless parade of meaningless lights and noises, and I must have an authority figure give me permission to understand them.

:same:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

I know some people think zombie apocalypse fiction is inherently right wing because the government collapses and only the one guy who stocked up on machineguns survives thus "proving them all wrong" but wasn't Romero's stuff all anti-capitalism?

As other people said, he didn't really intend it to be and when he deliberately tried to put that message in, it flopped. Really zombies as survivalist narratives are just one kind of zombie fiction; it's a broader genre than that, and there are plenty of works that use zombies to critique consumption, authoritarianism, or failure to act collectively.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Plus, everybody knows zombies represent mindless conformity and consumerism. Beware media studies pareidolia.

To bring this popular media pontificating full circle to dudes who think MLP is fascist. It is amazing what DE types will read into media.

To them it is obvious truth to everyone else they wonder what substance they are abusing or what planet they're on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Munin posted:

To bring this popular media pontificating full circle to dudes who think MLP is fascist. It is amazing what DE types will read into media.

To them it is obvious truth to everyone else they wonder what substance they are abusing or what planet they're on.

I think that's just how conspiracy theorists are. I remember I was once looking at random news channels on YT and it was around the time of one of the terrorist attacks in France. A guy was being interviewed and said, bold as you please, it was all a false flag from NATO. They've been doing it for decades he calmly explained and everyone knows it. It's like saying we need oxygen to breathe.

I wondered about this but apparently it's just how their mind works. They don't see how crazy they are.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Currently being subjected to universal mockery on the front page of reddit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

The original Night of the Living Dead wasn't really metaphorical for anything; Romero just wanted to make a horror movie inspired by I Am Legend without totally ripping it off by using vampires. A lot of people took the scene with Ben being killed by zombie hunters at the end as a commentary on racism, but Ben was originally cast as a white truck driver and ended up with a black actor based on the strength of his audition.

People have said Dawn of the Dead was an anti-capitalism thing, but I can't find any source of Romero directly saying that. The closest thing I can find to an inspiration for the film is Romero visiting the mall and having the manager joke that you could survive an emergency locked in there, which is the best thing to say to a zombie movie director. All of the sources claiming that Dawn of the Dead was anti-capitalist and that the zombies were a metaphor that I can find are news articles and essays saying it obviously is.

Death of the author, friendo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Death of the author, friendo

Death of the Author is for hacks who aren't creating anything but want to feel like they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If the book is written by the bookshop owner and then is rethought posthumously, is that Death of the Author or Death of a Salesman?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Death of the Author is for hacks who aren't creating anything but want to feel like they are.

Eh, I think it’s entirely possible for an author to include a strong, consistent message that they never intended. Think of, say, the Save the Pearls series, a supposedly anti-racist story that turned out super racist. Or the innumerable characters who accidentally ended up as gay icons.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

chitoryu12 posted:

Death of the Author is literally just "you don't need permission to notice things."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

Death of the author is an inescapable product of interpreting any media. It could be technically applied to an ad for flooring.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, maybe in CineD but it's a perfectly valid tool for analysis otherwise.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

cash crab posted:

Death of the author is an inescapable product of interpreting any media. It could be technically applied to an ad for flooring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

cash crab posted:

Look at the outcry whenever an ad for home products has a family made up of anything other than a heterosexual white couple and 0 to 4 white children in it. More like Illuminatimart one world government turning the frogs gaaaaay

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Night and Dawn were absolutely deliberate in what they were about. While Ben being black was simply about who they ended up casting, they were conscious while making the film of what having a black man in the lead meant.

Dawn has stuff in the script about the mall as a monument to consumerism, and scenes in earlier longer versions of the film have Fran saying things like "You're so distracted by the flashing lights you don't realize it's a prison too." Heck a movie Romero made before that, The Crazies, is even more explicit in having an outbreak of murdering psychos be made worse by people's distrust and inability to cooperate.

Also Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead are both really strong so the theory doesn't hold.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Boy spends way too many words when he could just say, "gently caress these jealous haters." Aren't these guys into efficiency?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Puppy Time posted:

Boy spends way too many words when he could just say, "gently caress these jealous haters." Aren't these guys into efficiency?

Yud in particular hates it if it means he has to edit anything he writes.

I do love that he's willing to call hating himself a genetic trait.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Checks out.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm not reading all of that but I did count sentences, compacting quotes-

seven very big boy sentences

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

That guy seems kind of weird.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Hypothetical: assume Big Yud is correct, and his continued existence will spawn an entire subrace of tortured abominations who know nothing but pain. Quantify the amount of pain that each of these wretched souls feels, and multiply it by the number of individuals in that race who currently exist or will ever come into being. Assume that product is greater than the quantified amount of pleasure that Yud will feel in the rest of his life. In such a scenario, wouldn't the rational response be for Yud to kill himself, thus reducing the total amount of human suffering in the world?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
He is mad about online

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
more like Pudblowsky

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Tobermory posted:

Hypothetical: assume Big Yud is correct, and his continued existence will spawn an entire subrace of tortured abominations who know nothing but pain. Quantify the amount of pain that each of these wretched souls feels, and multiply it by the number of individuals in that race who currently exist or will ever come into being. Assume that product is greater than the quantified amount of pleasure that Yud will feel in the rest of his life. In such a scenario, wouldn't the rational response be for Yud to kill himself, thus reducing the total amount of human suffering in the world?

Oh snap

gayest of posters
Aug 5, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Someone asks why Scott's audience has so many loud far-right voices. Scott's response it to look at at 10 random comments on the SSC subreddit... and guess what, turns out there are no far-right commentators!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

gayest of posters posted:

Someone asks why Scott's audience has so many loud far-right voices. Scott's response it to look at at 10 random comments on the SSC subreddit... and guess what, turns out there are no far-right commentators!

Jesus Christ.

quote:

I looked at the first ten top-level comments I saw on the subreddit Culture War thread right now. I classified four as neutral, three as left-to-liberal, three as center-right not out of place in the National Review [...]

When the National Review is "center-right" to you, you have lost your goddamn mind.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Everything to the left of Breitbart is "center right", try to keep up with the new normal.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

When the National Review is "center-right" to you, you have lost your goddamn mind.

Don Gato posted:

Everything to the left of Breitbart is "center right", try to keep up with the new normal.

I wish at least one of you was wrong.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

gayest of posters posted:

I don't have or want a Tumblr, is this his actual argument.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Okay let's look at his list

1. "In light of Sarah Jeong stuff, let's talk about community moderation." I agree neutral.

2. "I hate John Oliver for being mean to conservatives & the left is just as bad." Scott says neutral, I'd say center-right.

3. "Let's make some hay over the NYU #meToo hypocrisy bait, also I hate Title IX." Scott says center-right; this is just straight conservative.

4. Question about affirmative action arguments, looking for an anti-AA response. Scott says left-liberal. Poster later says they are "firmly anti-AA", this is a right wing person looking for ammunition.

5. Looking for information and arguing against Alex Jones's removal. I guess defense of Alex Jones is "center right" acc to Scott.

6. "Ninja not streaming with women is fine bc gamers be crazy." Scott says neutral, I say leaning right because of total non-interrogation of other side. In later comments poster seems to think Pence rule is not as bad, eh.

7. Sarah Jeong = Laura Ingraham gotcha comment. Scott says this is liberal-left because he is an idiot.

8. "Most cultural appropriation claims are stupid, this one might not be, thoughts?" Scott says liberal-left, I think neutral at best.

9. Someone's oppressing a religious Air Force General. ARGH someone steel man why this isn't lame. Scott says center-right, it's just conservative.

10. Feeling uneasy about portrayal of a Jewish character. Scott says this is neutral; I think this is the only left-liberal comment of the bunch.

Conclusion: SSC guy is a poor judge of politics.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

Okay let's look at his list

1. "In light of Sarah Jeong stuff, let's talk about community moderation." I agree neutral.

2. "I hate John Oliver for being mean to conservatives & the left is just as bad." Scott says neutral, I'd say center-right.

3. "Let's make some hay over the NYU #meToo hypocrisy bait, also I hate Title IX." Scott says center-right; this is just straight conservative.

4. Question about affirmative action arguments, looking for an anti-AA response. Scott says left-liberal. Poster later says they are "firmly anti-AA", this is a right wing person looking for ammunition.

5. Looking for information and arguing against Alex Jones's removal. I guess defense of Alex Jones is "center right" acc to Scott.

6. "Ninja not streaming with women is fine bc gamers be crazy." Scott says neutral, I say leaning right because of total non-interrogation of other side. In later comments poster seems to think Pence rule is not as bad, eh.

7. Sarah Jeong = Laura Ingraham gotcha comment. Scott says this is liberal-left because he is an idiot.

8. "Most cultural appropriation claims are stupid, this one might not be, thoughts?" Scott says liberal-left, I think neutral at best.

9. Someone's oppressing a religious Air Force General. ARGH someone steel man why this isn't lame. Scott says center-right, it's just conservative.

10. Feeling uneasy about portrayal of a Jewish character. Scott says this is neutral; I think this is the only left-liberal comment of the bunch.

Conclusion: SSC guy is a poor judge of politics.

I think Scott lives in some strange alternate dimension where the Overton window is shifted an equal amount but in the opposite direction

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Kit Walker posted:

I mean, Darling in the Franxx is about

*a quick image search later*

lmao

Darth Walrus posted:

There’s a small but growing market of woke anime. The new season of Gegege no Kitarō explains

Huh, first time a search for a "no, actually it's good" anime doesn't turn up anything gross

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Aug 15, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

hackbunny posted:

lmao

Good ol Anime.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Kit Walker posted:

And yeah the government-aligned pilots are queer coded but only align themselves with the government because of extensive brainwashing. Ultimately they side with the protagonists, and if anything the show implies that queer people somehow make the best pilots

Where do the rear end handles fit in this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

lmao

I guess you missed my post right after that one :smug:

hackbunny posted:

Huh, first time a search for a "no, actually it's good" anime doesn't turn up anything gross

Look up Planetes some time, the only fetish it has is for meticuliusly accurate real world spaceflight physics and depressingly spot on depictions of capitalism in 50 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

Where do the rear end handles fit in this

You see they're robot ladies who want to gently caress you so they can turn into a real girl like pinnochhio.

I'm not kidding.