Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That's an oversimplification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Immortan posted:

Milo Yiannopoulos is my favorite 'alt-right' thinker.

that's nice dear

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Y'all shoulda just responded to Immortan the same way I did.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean it's the same people who made "rare pepes" a meme, who then proceed to actually post pepes for every thread.

Source your quotes.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope Rev gets a tick bite on his willy.

Not because I'm mad, but because shitbags having embarrassing stuff happen to them is funny.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hermetic posted:

There is no way that neckbeard isn't literally autistic.

I'll leave it to everyone's imagination whether I mean Imortan or the kid who has probably masturbated on his picture of Milo, and at least one of his video games.

Shut the gently caress up.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hermetic posted:

Nah, I just wished him well, put him on ignore and moved on. I'm not gonna get into pointless fights over how much one should flagellate themselves for a mistake.

I was going to apologize for being needlessly confrontational, and say that I'm just tired of "lol he autistic" being used as a way of saying "lol he bad", but I don't feel as bad anymore.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hermetic posted:

Nah, you were still pretty needlessly confrontational. Apology accepted. :shobon:

To be fair, people WERE getting p mad. I just assumed you were commenting. I guess that upset you, though. I'd apologize, but that just makes people madder, I think.

Shut the gently caress up.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
:catstare:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hermetic posted:

Yeah, a higher-than-fifth-grade understanding of what "free speech" really is seems to be a positive thing. "FREE SPEECH MEANS YOU HAVE TO LISTEN AND NOD WHILE I TELL YOU HOW BLACKS SHOULD BE SLAVES" (ie Reddit, *chan) just leads to becoming loaded with the worst of humanity. People used to find it insane that we did stuff like ban chanspeak, and tamp down on memes. But I think, overall, it's led to a better forum and userbase.

I think some of it ties into the "self-aware nerd" vibe we give off. Like, we'll sit around shitposting about superhero TV shows, but we know enough to pull up before we get to "Post your waifu body pillow" threads or some lovecraftian horror like that.

...Well, I assume we do, I don't really visit ADTRW.

Jesus christ, every single thing you post is more cringe-inducing than the last.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This has been a very strange day.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

I always thought is was some anime thing.

I wasn't wrong.

please don't Hermetic-post

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tesseraction posted:

As Small Frozen Thing and I will attest, most of the edgy shitposters on early 4chan tended to grow up (regardless of whether teens or early-20s) and move onto less right-wing world views. Not all, of course, but there's a good showing of ex-4channers on the left wing.

Yeah, this. Most of my super-leftist sexual/racial minority friends on tumblr are fellow 4chan expats.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Ahahaha, jesus christ

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hate Fibration posted:

When I was in high school it was a weird point of pride for me that I never browsed 4chan or used memes despite all my friends doing so.

In retrospect, this is possibly the one thing high school me did right. Good job younger Hate Fibration.

And then you went and burned away all that cred with this post. drat shame.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It was just a joke, really. No deeper thought to it.

Hate Fibration posted:

I don't own a TV! That's what laptops and internet connections are for! :pseudo:

I think you are massively overestimating how universal 4chan was for people. Me and my friends in high school were massive dorks. I feel like the fact that they used memes in everyday conversation and I still hung out with them was evidence of this. But no one outside my little group of nerd friends would catch the references. The internet equivalent of "I down even own a TV" is easily "I don't have a Facebook" and I am not sure why you are so defensive about 4chan, especially when talking about the time period we are, the site was definitely a "Not for everyone" kind of place. I always felt it was downright unpleasant and very much lacking in accountability, and years later everyone I know who was involved with it finds it embarrassing and awkward. It was really more like the adolescent geek equivalent of "super embarrassing goth phase" and pretending that it's some sort of generational touchstone strikes me as pretty disingenuous.

On the other hand, now THIS post... :v:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I was a really awful bully in school

It's caused me a great deal of distress and I've had to get therapy for it

I can't watch poo poo with Matt Forney in it because the urge to bully him becomes so severe that it is traumatic

I am literally, unironically, triggered by Matt Forney

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

As a fluent speaker of Tumblr, this is just insulting. It's like he used google translate English -> Tumblr. Put more effort into your posting Rev.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You guys do realize you're just encouraging him right

He is not interested in rational debate

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hate Fibration posted:

Can we please step up our water treatment game?

:ohdear:

Actually, what is causing that?

A combination of hormones in food and differences in nutrition. The former is a legit issue, though the exact degree of impact it actually has is debated. The latter is biology. Just like a lack of nutrients can delay or even prevent puberty from properly occurring, the inverse appears to also be true.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

My mom told me about a girl in her class who didn't get her period until she was 18. I don't think that's possible in America these days, unless you're a competitive athlete or have an eating disorder or a health condition that affects it.

Never had one, never will

I definitely fall into the "health condition" group though

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
A notable exception is when people in PR and other positions where they can directly represent their company (such as ones running twitter/their web presence etc.) say that kind of poo poo. In those circumstances, the company can indeed argue that the poo poo they said was damaging to the company, and fire them over that.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh my god shut up PP

He isn't a true believer, he is doing this to poo poo up the thread, and you are helping him

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

TinTower posted:

The Doctor was basically one of the few fictional characters that the fandom wants to be asexual.

This is generally backlash from how awkward and horrible anything related to romance is in Doctor Who, in my experience

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tesseraction posted:

You could just call him an idiot.

This is probably the safest option. "A total shithead" also works.

Also holy loving lol at Hermetic still being incredibly salty about that.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Nah, you gave a really pathetic half-assed "I'm sorry if you were offended" and then started flinging your poo poo at everyone who looked at you funny, hooting and shrieking the whole time.

Darth Walrus posted:

Because you keep coming back with these smug little smileys and 'y u so mad' comments when someone points out that mocking people with a disproportionally high suicide risk due to the difficulties they experience with fitting into society is a pretty awful thing to do. Look, you know what you're doing, and deliberately trying to wind people up because they have to nerve to care about disadvantaged minorities is both deeply uncool and exactly what this thread was built to rip the poo poo out of.

loving end it, dude.

He's not trolling. He's legitimately that stupid and thin-skinned.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jun 8, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I foresee a day when Hermetic has every person in the thread on his ignore list because they didn't tell him he was a good boy and excellent poster

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It is also, in my opinion, an absolutely excellent example of a neurotypical cis straight white male "ally" losing his poo poo and lashing out at any minority who dares disagree with him.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Heresiarch posted:

This is a spot-on observation but I'd like to bring something up and hopefully do it in a way which will lead to something useful and not more noise, and as a related follow up to the Uncle Tom/quisling/useful idiot discussion.

I have a pretty strongly divergent neurology myself, although not on the autistic spectrum, so I understand that I may be coming at this from a bad direction. If I step in it, assume I misstepped in an attempt to start an honest and productive dialogue and wasn't trying to stir any poo poo.

That said: I really, really dislike the way that the word "neurotypical" is used by some (much?) of the autistic spectrum community, including people I consider friends and allies. I fully understand the intent of the term, in the same way that "cis" is merely a way to say "not trans", but in my experience it's being used very commonly (but not exclusively) as a pejorative and not merely a descriptor. It reminds me uncomfortably of the way that SF and related fandoms often refer to non-fans as "mundanes" or "normies" or something as a way to feel superior to those people who had typically mistreated them.

You probably didn't intend to use it this way in your post, but in the larger context it can easily be misinterpreted that way by somebody who's seen how the term is often used. My personal, immediate reaction to your use of the term was strongly negative and I had to step back and parse out exactly why.

I feel like the term has been unintentionally damaged, that it is now loaded with unintended negative connotations and may need to be discarded in favor of something else, preferably something that doesn't contain an inherent value judgement like the word "typical" embedded in it.

But since I am not actually part of the spectrum community, and have only been able to observe this use of language from the outside, I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on this.

Oh no, I absolutely agree with this. I actually lingered on what term to use for a while, but since he said he had issues with depression before "non-disabled" wasn't accurate.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I apologize for mislabeling you, my LGBT PoC friend.

Now please stop melting down.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Fututor Magnus posted:

Goons, man. This thread will never become the sneer culture front HQ if one moron who can't shut up still gets replied to because the goon's honor demands the last word in. I think the original point was made, that Hermetic is a bigot and an obvious troll.

I don't like mislabeling people, so I had to apologize. Also I'm pretty sure he's completely sincere.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I love you LoB

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

djw175 posted:

Oh yeah I totally understand the purpose of having a word like that which is why I support "allistic". I just feel like "neurotypical" is a bad word to describe it.

I have depression, anxiety, and ADHD as well. They're often much more crippling than the autism, because they fluctuate at seemingly random, whereas the autism is pretty consistent in how it affects me.

But I digress.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This is legit one of the most pathetic meltdowns I've seen outside of E/N.

I'll admit though, your stamina is impressive, even if every single other aspect of you is contemptible.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Jun 8, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that being an out-and-proud 'brony' (as opposed to a guy who just happens to have a soft spot for My Little Pony) is deliberate, aggressive appropriation. It's all about turning a product aimed at little girls into a product whose primary audience is adult men. Bunch of Internet nerds sitting down and going 'these are my toys now, you can't play with them'. That resonates a great deal with the alt-right.

This is extremely important. One of the most prominent "brony" traits is asserting how ACTUALLY, they are cool and masculine for liking this girl's toy show, and not some weak feeb. The "Brony" subculture has a very strong base in toxic masculinity, which is why you get overlap with gamergate and the alt-right, who also revel in it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hermetic posted:

poo poo, dude, I've got a graduate degree and this is making me chub up a little. If I weren't moving away from critical analysis as a field of research, I'd be sending a proposal off to the Pop Culture Association tonight.

Please don't talk about boners in this thread, that's what started this mess in the first place

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

I suffer no delusion it'll ever get back on track, don't you worry.

Maybe we can talk about Fallout some more

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Keep in mind, it is entirely possible for allistics to display spectrum-like behaviors and traits due to upbringing.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

This is true, but then, how many of them are really allistic vs. "quirky person with autistic family members who isn't quiiiiite diagnosable"? I mean, there's only one autism diagnosis in my family, but there's a buttload of "quirky" people.

Here's the issue I have with classifying these folks as autistic: The "rationalism" that many of these people indulge in is effectively the fetishization of an autistic method of thought. And I don't mean in the kink sense, but in the "they believe thinking this way will make them superior." Much like you will find "chaos magic" types who fetishize other mental/neurological issues, such as dissociative disorders. As a result, it can be extremely difficult to sort out who was legit that way from birth and who decided that intentionally thinking in weird and unusual ways will be a magic spell to make them smarter and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Like, you know how in some stories having dissociative disorders gives you magic powers? When Yudkowski talks about "rewiring his brain", what he is effectively saying is that he will give himself ~Magic Autism~
All the ability to think about and perceive things in an unusual and unorthodox way, none of the crippling social impairment or crossed wiring.