Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

Holy crap this post just knocked loose a repressed memory of the time I was fixing the computer of the CEO of my last company and the browser had like "How to know if you've become dead inside" and "What does it mean if I can't feel emotions anymore" right at the top of the bookmarks :stonk:

Sounds more like he was severely depressed than a member of the alt-right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

InediblePenguin posted:

listen I'm not trying to discount the personal experiences of racism suffered by German immigrants during World War One but I don't see what their experiences can add to the topic of whether Japanese internment was justified because governmental internment of an entire nationality is a right and natural response to being at war with a country

uber_stoat is, you may have noticed, extremely thick.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Puppy Time posted:

The fact that so many people are harping so heavily on the bigotry thing while completely ignoring the aspect of "these are desperately poor people who want jobs, and only one candidate is directly promising them that" is an example of the problem.

There IS a race problem, yes. There absolutely is. But most of the class-based solutions in politics tend to focus more on urban populations than rural ones, and, because the rural poor are mostly white, they don't see much advocacy on their part in general. It's a huge problem that's overlooked by most politicians, and it's come back to bite us in the rear end.

Pro Publica has a good article profiling them.

This is in no way saying that there aren't problems for rural minorities. It's just that just because rural white people are white does NOT mean that they're not suffering crushing poverty, and the fact that so many liberals are willing to just brush them to the side and ignore their problems is hosed up.

They're not forgotten you idiot, Obamacare provided coverage for tens of thousands of them, which they are now going to lose under Trump, and they consistently vote against their own interests over and over and over in local elections, even when given the option not to. For many of them it is a matter of spite, not desperation.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

hackbunny posted:

"Obamacare doubled our premiums"

In every one of those cases, the coverage they had before didn't actually cover anything. It was bullshit exploitative "coverage" that basically amounted to you paying the Insurance company for nothing.

Obamacare was a lovely compromise, but they're going to roll back even the small amount of good it did and not replace it with anything.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Keep in mind that Jonathan Pie works for RT, aka the guys who helped Donald get elected.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Sax Solo posted:

Yeah, but:

Obama: I just w-
Lefties: Drrroooooones! Murderer!

Hillary: Stronger to-
Lefties: Wall Streeeeet! Hack shill robot! DWS!

WWC: I'd like some jobs and don't give a poo poo about the harm down to brown people in the process, not even thinking about them at all.
Lefties: Fellows, we must be nuanced.

Not emptyquoting

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Eventually minorities get sick of coddling bigots

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You're not wrong, WalterL, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It's actually pretty cut and dry. People didn't vote for Trump unless they were bigots, or simply didn't possess empathy for those their vote would hurt. A lot of people are bigoted, and a whole lot of people don't have empathy for people different from them.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Nov 14, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Like, statistically, the overwhelming majority of the people who voted for trump also indicated they felt "economically confident" or did not feel any particular anxiety about losing their jobs. This "economic anxiety" bullshit is both deeply insulting to the poor whites who didn't vote for Trump, and seeks to provide an excuse for the terrible people who did vote for him. It's a disgusting narrative and it needs to die.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Baron Corbyn posted:

And to demonstrate this you're not even going to show enough empathy for people who lost their respectable factory jobs where they felt valued and ended up on the unemployment line or a minimum wage job at Walmart to even consider that they might want to vote for a candidate who promised their jobs back for any other reason than him being a racist loudmouth?

I Killed GBS posted:

Like, statistically, the overwhelming majority of the people who voted for trump also indicated they felt "economically confident" or did not feel any particular anxiety about losing their jobs. This "economic anxiety" bullshit is both deeply insulting to the poor whites who didn't vote for Trump, and seeks to provide an excuse for the terrible people who did vote for him. It's a disgusting narrative and it needs to die.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You don't loving know what "median" means do you?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
No, she lost because of blatant voter suppression and a campaign that was more focused on victory lap strategies than running ads in deeply embattled states.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
They didn't all vote for him

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I bet you claimed Brexit wasn't because of racists either, huh?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It's legit insulting to impoverished whites to claim they all voted for the Cheeto Fascist.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

This would be relevant if anyone were claiming it.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not suggesting that as a strategy. I'm suggesting social liberals actually improve the lives of people in the rust belt in ways that they notice and not continue to let the working class there feel ignored and marginalised to the point where they'all vote for the bigoted demagogue.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Well of course. I just think this narrative of erasure of the people who didn't succumb to the call of fascism is awful.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Something that also changed between 2012 and now was the gutting of the Voting Rights Act. A good chunk of this victory is due to voter suppression. Over 300,000 people were prevented from voting in NC, enough to easily turn the state blue. And Wisconsin also has voter ID laws, which is another state which cost Hillary the election. You also have the narrative of "BOTH CANDIDATES ARE EQUALLY BAD" which people have been floating for 9+ months, which helped increase the number of ballots with no vote for president.

There was no single factor here, and it's irritating to see people claim the message we should take away from this is that we should try to be more accommodating of bigotry.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

Literally no one is saying that.

Recognizing that people who voted for Trump are mostly not single-issue white supremacist voters is not "accommodating bigotry."

Oof, you haven't been to D&D recently then. So many backbiting cis straight white leftists in there eager to whine about "SJW"s and throw us under the bus.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Baron Corbyn posted:

No you're right. I obviously don't think every working class person voted for Trump. I posted a loving graph saying they broke 53/41 for Hillary ffs. I Killed GBS just wants to assume that every single voter who switched their vote from Democrat to Republican was just waiting for the second coming of Hitler to come along for some reason. It's the kind of attitude that'll see Trump re-elected in 2020.

Okay, pal. Assume you're right and I'm wrong. Everyone who voted for Trump did it because they think fascism is fantastic and they actively want to throw every minority under the bus. What's the strategy for 2020? Because assuming he doesn't do something stupid enough to get impeached, Trump's running again in 2020 and whatever half-hearted conciliatory talk he's putting out now is going right out the window once election season rolls around. Tack to the right and be not quite as bad as the alternative? Keep waiting for that demographic shift that's going to make the Republicans irrelevant that Democrats have been saying is just around the corner for going on 20 years? We're in the position of hoping that no upturn in the local economy happens to improve these people's lives that Trump can take credit for to keep those states in the red column and that's sad.

And yes, racism played a part in the Brexit vote. A big part. Just like Trump's victory. There's probably a good 40% of voters you can completely write off in both countries as being completely apart from us in their world view to the point we'll never convince them but if you're going to be as overzealous as this in your rush to condemn them, you're just going to turn away the people who can be convinced. Again.

Turnout wasn't all that poor (for a US election). The last two just had inflated turnout because Obama was very good at getting out the vote.

Everyone who voted for Trump either believes that ACTUALLY, IT IS THE WHITE MAN WHO IS OPPRESSED, is openly racist, or simply doesn't give a poo poo about minorities. Every single person I know, IRL and online, who voted for Trump, has expressed these sentiments. As a minority, I'm not feeling particularly driven to reconcile with Trump voters at the moment, and no amount of kvetching about how I have to be nice to them for political expedience is going to change that right now. Also I love how you, once again, ignore voter suppression.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

neongrey posted:

There's a lot to why it wasn't. Like, racism led to this. But not racism alone.

You're right. There was also homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, misogyny...

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

There are basically those who understand what old MA was saying here, and those who don't. The latter are exhibiting a highly peculiar combination of smugness and despair.

Extreme honky levels detected

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh cool, more berniebros.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

I don't have a philosophical problem with the grimdark per se, I just cannot sit through that much splattering poop, blood, snot, dead things, rotting things, body parts, etc, etc. without wanting to vomit after a couple of minutes. Especially with the squelchy sound effects. My kid plays it and loves it, but I try to be out of the room.

It's honestly too cartoony to get that kind of reaction from me. It mostly reminds me of the dumb doodles of gross stuff kids put on the margins of their notebooks.

Improbable Lobster posted:

BoI is the most Newgrounds thing ever.

BoI is actually fun to play, so I beg to differ

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

Maybe this tends to be a boy thing, I don't remember anyone I knew doodling stuff other than hearts, flowers, stars, pretty dresses, princesses, puffy letter messages, "I love [boyname]", "I love Jesus," etc. Except me, but I doodled geometric patterns.

I'm a woman. :\

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Relevant Tangent posted:

Whatever-the-Hells Cruz.

Tapioca Elemental

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

uber_stoat posted:

so there's been this world wide American lead multi-decade pan-national thing that has broken down borders and transferred massive amounts of material wealth into the hands of a small group, most of them white. or Chinese, since that's the only other place that really benefited from it in a major way.

and now all the whitey's who used to be well off are angry, and yeah, lots of them are super racist, but even still they have been hosed over completely, and not for any kind of egalitarian distributive reason, but so that a handful of psychopaths can get rich. so now what. it's nazis or... *insert alternative here*.

trump is one of those handful of psychopaths

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hey guys, please stop rushing to insult poptart_fairy every time he posts. It's way more distracting than the posts he's actually making.

We could just ban him, that would make things easier for everyone

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There is no Alt-Left. The closest thing you get is the Contrarian Left, like Ted Rall and some of the more obnoxious LFers, and they are limited in scope to annoying people on the internet. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of scale, effect, and influence.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Skittle Prickle posted:

I mean, there are plenty of radical communist and anarchist comunities that are alternatives to the mainstream left, but they don't need to hide their politics under layers of irony (beyond the normal memes and whatnot). Whereas the alt-right tend to be fascist-adjacent, but don't admit it publicly.

Those are the far-left, not the "alt-left", which doesn't exist

Also not shocked DeusExMachinima believes in the alt-left, lol

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Nobody self-identifies as "alt-left." People do self-identify as "alt-right." It's not a complicated subject.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh my god, are you seriously giving credence to their false equivalency garbage

It's bullshit lies made up by loving Nazis, stop trying to work out a way it "could" exist

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
gently caress off fascist.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm trying to be very, uh, generous because the people I'm arguing with aren't actually steeped in full-out alt-right hate so just going "gently caress off fascist" doesn't really help at all whereas actually having a well-thought-out response as to specifically why the alt-left isn't actually A Thing does. Part of doing that is interpreting it generously and thinking of ways it could be a thing because that's literally what I know people will do when I'm arguing with them because I'm sure they haven't thought it out thoroughly but nobody likes to be wrong - so they'll wind up at like "well it must be a thing because [tankies exist]" or whatever.

I'd like to cover all my bases because as I said these are not actually bad people they are just people who don't pay attention as well as they should.

Then you can give them a simple one: There is no Alt-Left, because that implies there is a way for a bunch of different far-leftists to cooperate long enough to form a cohesive movement, which is basically unheard of.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Good

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Terrible Opinions posted:

Because you're a pointlessly contrarian who wants to elicit an angry reaction.

Like it's right here.

When white people stop electing hitlers I will change my assessment of that article

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
We're talking about America though

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
If there's a bunch of posts in DE, either poptart_fairy or cingulate have dropped in to say hi.
That statement is accurate in one context: Channer poo poo is much more LGBT-friendly than any other right-wing affiliated part of the internet.
That's still an extremely low bar.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
4chan and kin are the most lgbt-friendly of the right-wing rear end in a top hat parts of the web... which is not really a high bar to clear.