Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

hackbunny posted:

I wonder sometimes if traps are how "political homosexuality" is manifesting in the alt-right. Commentators have wondered for a long time why they won't go gay if women are so terrible, like women went lesbian in protest in the past, and I say, but they are going gay. Just an idea though because I haven't set foot in 4chan or any of its offshoots in years, so I don't know what they have mutated into
Political lesbianism is a brand of homophobia and bigotry that requires a different frame of mind than the reactionary has. It requires one to honestly believe they're being progressive while still taking part in erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are a lot of gay guys among the alt right.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Surprise isn't the real word. Astonishment?

Being technically correct, but unhelpful is kind of my thing you see.

:(

Don't worry eventually you'll outgrow shame and become fishmech.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

There's no such loving thing as an untouchable outside India/Pakistan/Bangladesh you loving fool.

You could make the argument that the rural poor hillbilly types in America consistute an untouchable caste. Though Aurini would have to admit that this means his unpriveledged group is 20~30% black. Which he absolutely isn't doing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Dear god, it's still around? How many hosts/countries have they been kicked out of?

I thought ED wasn't actually kicked out of anywhere, it's just really bad at finding people will to pay for its upkeep. So there keep bouncing around cheap foreign hosting places.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pookel posted:

I thought it was for "Victor Charlie" as in Viet Cong, but that's not really related to what I meant. I meant that they'd refer to the enemy combatants collectively as "Charlie" rather than calling an individual VC fighter "a Charlie." I've seen "Hajji" used in a similar way, to refer to a group of people and not as a singular noun.

Yes there is autism in my family, why do you ask?

There have been a lot of those Ivan for the Russians, Jerry for Germans, etc.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hermetic posted:

There seem to be a lot of neoreactionary LGBT people. I always assume it's one of those "See, I can be as bigoted as you, please don't hurt me" things...But maybe I'm making excuses because I don't want to admit that LGBT people can be just as sociopathic and stupid as straight/cis people (though you'd think experience would hammer that home by itself).
It's defiantly the latter. Hate is by its nature irrational. Same way we get poor people voting for Trump and black people voting Libertarian.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why anyone should care is only answered by very strange cult think.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

I work in a comic shop
I'm so sorry

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That still just makes them a worse version of hbomberguy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Nice I didn't know hbomberguy was making alt-right videos in 2010.
I was more meaning taking down easy targets but primarily being about comedy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Depends on time period of Europe really. By virtue of having an organized state for longer than Europe China had fewer wars but each given war was much much bigger. Also famines caused by the Yellow River flooding too much, or not enough, or changing course wracked up truly monumental death tolls, but you could say the same of various plagues and climate changes that occurred in Europe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

the most disgusting thing I have ever seen was the moment when me and my gf had to stand aside to let a huge friend of the family walk past us in the grocery store, and my gf turned her rear end towards it slightly and leaned into the wall.

in that moment I realized that all friend of the familys must hang.

I'm having difficulty parsing what is getting the racist mad. Is it the black guy getting to close to him or something?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

So many of these fuckers have zero idea how much time actually having that much sex would take

Probably because they think the actual sexing is a skippable part between the first minute of the initial beej and the gasping climax
Excuse me everyone is aware that pimpin' ain't easy. Hence those evil people needing welfare queens and food stamps. All things fascists hate are tied together into a massive conspiracy singularity.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

willus posted:

either that or they only last a few minutes at best

Well that just indicates superior intellect, something something classical Greek values.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Not to diminish your point but I feel it's worth noting that by the time Queen Victoria ascended the throne slavery was already abolished in the United Kingdom. Not to say racism wasn't prevalent but that slavery was a pre-Victorian barbarism compared to the child labour and general shittiness of worker conditions in the Victorian era.
Well also to be fair Fink didn't use slavery. He had a company town that recreated the practical effects of slavery under the guise of capitalism. So it's absolutely Victorian.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

You know I've never heard anything specific about Tolkein's racism, just that he was generically Old Man Racist. I guess not having any pets called Niggerman lessened the focus he gets. :v:

He wasn't saying that Tolkien was racist. He's saying that Tolkien was upset that his passion, study of ancient European languages/peoples/mythology, was being used by literal Nazis.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evidently the same ones that say not buying a product means declaring war and thus justify genocide. Which I have to assume means they were penned by racist robber barons.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Adopting Haitian children = white genocide.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Can we please make fun of Nazis and feudalists without making fun of people with mental health problems?
Well most people in any given fascist internet movement do have mental health problems. They're the mentally ill being taken advantage of by a few "charismatic" leaders.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson were both found not guilty so they must be innocent right

Well OJ was innocent of murder, not covering up the murder committed by his son, but innocent of the murder itself.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, the prosecutor has to convince 12 people beyond a reasonable doubt. The standard of proof necessary to be uncomfortable with seeing a movie someone made is rather lower.

"He probably did it" and "he should have been convicted" are two different things.

Hence the need for a "not proven" verdict in all countries.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Who What Now posted:

If I remember right there was also an enormous disparity in quality between the quality of augmetics the rich and poor had available to them, with poor quality ones often being an active detriment to your quality of life in many ways.

Human Revolution sorta muddled the waters by making several good looking sleek cybernetics while the original Deus Ex set further in the future had basically all the cyborgs look like industrial equipment strapped to human bodies. It also had most of the cyborgs turning to crime because they had been obsoleted by the introduction of nano-technology augments.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I was mostly posting in jest, because it's something proposed by the "skeptic" on the Alien Autopsy movie

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nessus posted:

So do all these guys just think we're in Dwarf Fortress? If so I will point out that Dwarf Fortress deactivated a capitalist economy because it did nothing but gently caress everything up and make matters unmanageable.

Honestly Dwarf Fortress is a fairly interesting way to conceptualize a god or gods. Though if real life is like dwarf fort the boring parts of the world are only boring because they haven't been expanded yet, and those boring parts definitely aren't the poor people struggling to survive as that's among the first things modeled. Like dwarf fort only fairly recently added immigration by different races and it's a fairly useless means of getting people with different physical or technological advantages than your dwarves. So even within their own fantasy the alt-right is wrong.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well there is collusion and coercion by games companies to get good reviews for their games. The thing is that all of this is done either by companies like SquarEnix, Activision, and Ubisoft controlling access to major event games or little studios like Digital Homicide who will harass the poo poo out of the few reviewers who bother to give negative reviews. Somehow neither of these types of companies are the ones targeted by gamergate. Almost like some people just don't care enough about ethics in games journalism.

hackbunny posted:

On the other hand I liked Gone Home a lot. I just think the father had a more interesting story than the sister did anyone realize that his obsession with the JFK assassination was actually his way of working through the trauma of being molested (?) around the time of the assassination by his crazy uncle? because I didn't but I read an article that made a very good case for it. And what exactly happened, why did he have to live so many years at his uncle's, sleeping in the servant's quarters?. Sadly it seems it was kind of a flop
Gone Home suffers from a lack of actual proper critique. It has a lot going on but a lot of positive reviews just deal with a very surface level reading of it and most negative reviews just go "not a game lol".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like Giant Bomb was literally created because it's founder was fired from Gamespot for daring to give a mediocre review to a SquarEnix game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Space Poodle posted:

I am pretty sure that actual bone-ifed MRAs would take BGE to task for having the girl pilots be better at their jobs. Complete with like, old school phrenology calipers and grams of brain-weight and angry rants about chocolate medals for women Olympians.

Just guessing.
Except in the show the girls literally never succeed at doing anything besides facilitating the male character. So it sounds in line with MRA beliefs.

It isn't until the movies that they're allowed to succeed on their own merits.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

It was taken less than a minute after being posted and hits almost every single stereotype about that kind of person.

It was a poster named Vox Imperatoris from the Straight Dope message boards and he is the genuine article. It was taken less than a minute after being posted because like SA people are weirdly obsessed with Straight Dope posters and former posters. This information was gained from actually reverse image searching the drat thing instead of asserting the same dumb argument over and over again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Copy and pasting the url into the normal google search brought up a few forums where the same imgur image was linked or embedded.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I'm happy to be proven wrong if this is genuine, but I can't find anything either and the set-up of that image - the chessboard, the first year text books, etc - all seem incredibly deliberate solely to get a response from people.
Dawg I get what you're saying but I've seen too much in the tvtropes mock thread to give any "by being a nerd I'm superior" image the benefit of the doubt.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

Yes. I want a fully-illustrated PDF of all the mean things the nasty-wasty Debate and Discussion psychotrolls have done in the course of their criminality. And I want it on my desk by Monday.
Well I mean you're the guy who seems to think the North Korean government is the only thing keeping the monsters in the PLA and US Army from massacring North Korean civilians. So you know glass houses.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

He's not. That's the thing really stupid people in the anti-imperialism thread accuse him of, but he's never actually said.

Brainiac Five posted:

Best Friends posted:

The compelling reason to feed them post regime is not having millions of starving people crossing the Yalu river and DMZ.
I'm pretty sure that if that were to happen, the US and PRC would simply massacre North Korean refugees with barely a peep of public indignation, but even if all of Foggy Bottom had heart attacks there's still no reason to prop up the remnants of the DPRK rather than feeding refugees who cross the DMZ.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Yeah, it feels to me like it's part of her effort to court the "normal" Republicans who are freaking out about Trump, as though they're going to give up on decades of hating her just like that.
No but she and Trump have succeeded at convincing a large number of Republicans to vote Libertarian or not at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah that's really it. Trump getting the nomination is almost enough to get me to believe in rigged elections. How else could he get the nomination besides a lizard man plot to force me to vote for Hillary.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

Because the republicans are really that bad, and have really signed that many deals with various devils. Trump is a conman, playing their game better than they can, to the audience of rubes and suckers that they have spent decades of their all-too-mortal lives painstakingly assembling. Anyone got that Jastiger quote about Cruz?
I know that's true, but I really wish it was lizardmen rigging the election.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Probably cause you had a cool mom who bought bandaids in fire engine red.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

hackbunny posted:

You kid, but if you image search for "skin colored bandaid", nowadays, most of the result are of either bandaids available in several skin tones, or a new experimental bandaid that slowly becomes invisible as it picks up your skin color (I wonder if it actually works that good). It was hard to find a candid photo of a "white" bandaid on a black person, the idea has gone mainstream. It wasn't always like this
Honestly isn't the second one kinda redundant given that we have transparent bandaids already.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

How is Sargon of all people coming off as the better person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Vox Day is kinda sorta in the DE camp, right? I made the ill-advised move of reading his latest poo poo and I found a greeeeat one. :suicide:

America is not an ideal of a shining city on the hill you guys, it's all about avoiding people who have German Irish Hispanic blood.
It's Vox Day not white though. Isn't he one of those minorities who think they're an acception somehow.