Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gough Suppressant posted:

We thought that's what all the budget leaks were and then it turns out no that's their actual policy so :iiam:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-01/abbott-rules-out-expansion-of-income-management-measures/5640280

You know they're going to do it when Abbott says poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I'm sure I've seen that amazing magazine cover on Auspol before.

"How to attract Godly Girls" Wow, can't go wrong with this poo poo.

I always wondered why the young christian workmates I had were socially inept as gently caress (like reddit level) and this is a pretty good insight into why.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Lid posted:

Courageous policy.

Very courageous.

They tried this in the US, sueing people who only downloaded the content. I'm pretty sure the public backlash and costs involved rendered it pretty much a rare occurance, except by the adult film industry.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, and that was a bad thing. The fact that women get help with various aspects of their lives via the government is a good thing.

When individuals are forced to provide things for themselves that pretty much everyone needs it's inefficient as hell. Individuals can't take advantage of economies of scale nor can they justify the expense of studying a problem to come up with an efficient solution. Leveraging these efficiencies is the whole reason large organizations like government and businesses exist! "No, no, lets all do these things on our own, by our bootstraps!" is loving stupid fetishizing of the idea of freedom, not good policy! Christ! :cripes:

Thing is, women back in "her day" either were married and did the whole housekeeper thing or they were single and struggled like gently caress. My great grandmother was a widow at a relatively young age (when my grandfather was 11) and, yeah she "managed" but it was by no means glorious or easy, nor was it a good thing.

The furphy about the whole "back in X day, we managed" is that you can argue it for pretty much EVERY single loving thing we have today. 4,000 years ago, humans managed, but you don't see people clamouring to go back to living in a gatherer/hunter society with no modern medical treatments available. It's one of the arguments that basically says we, as a species, need not advance in any area or way because we can "manage".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

shalcar posted:

It's also especially hilarious because technically speaking anyone/thing that couldn't manage back in the day doesn't have any living descendants. You are, by definition, part of an unbroken line all the way back to the first lifeform.

Since we all "managed" before money was a thing, presumably she's all for the abolition of property rights and wealth?

Using the "we managed' logic, we should all go back to being single cell life forms because we managed back then too.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Bomb-Bunny posted:

If you look at it from Twiggy's point of view it's not, it's another subsidy for him, government pays for training that, I'm sure, would conveniently be in the areas he needs skilled workers. I'm not saying that should negate the bleeding obvious, that job seekers should get real training. But as Malcolm Farr pointed out on Insiders, we need something like the old Commonwealth Employment Service, so that unemployment services aren't vulnerable to market manipulation and scamming. This thread alone is a font of evidence that that is not currently the case.

I'm glad that these things are getting a societal backlash, but I wonder whether the tories constant "WHERE ARE THE OTHER OPTIONS!" rhetoric won't get to wearing on people eventually.

This, my mother worked in the CES and basically it went to total poo poo when it was canned and the whole thing was put out to private companies. But it'll never happen under an LNP goverment because "private companies are clearly better than government departments".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mithranderp posted:

I legit thought that cartoon was depicting Rupert Murdoch.

I always thought it was Professor Farnsworth. It kind of looks like Futurama?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Chrodyn posted:

Griffith Nathan campus is uglier than I remember. Just passed a group loudly talking about how privatising education would be a good thing. Any of you study here?

I just started this semester, haven't noticed anything like this but I stick to myself mainly and avoid loud shitheads.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Likely not, since it'd require starting a new contract and replacing all the GoCard infrastructure, which would be a complete loving nightmare. Getting the amount of GoCard machines we have now has been a gradual process. Interesting bit of info; the majority of GoCard machines are on a Telstra Next IP DSL service, which is basically a private WAN that only runs over Telstra infrastructure (thus being more secure as it doesn't touch the internet except via a gateway in the Woolloongabba exchange). I'm kind of surprised they didn't set it up using NextG, or at least with NextG back up, because *copper*.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

ewe2 posted:

easy come easy go little high little low

Sounds like LNP polls as of late.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

We really need a diagram or list of every traditionally LNP supporitve group Abbott has put out since coming to the PM position. I've heard of burning the bridges behind you, but under you? Either he has some cunning plan or he's just futzing everything trying to play friend to multiple groups with at odds agendas (it's futzing right?).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Is this Nightwatch? Am I watching Babylon 5 still?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

What happened to you John de Lancie, you used to be cool

When you've done literally everything and tormented countless Starfleet captains, why not go into Australian Politics?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Bompacho posted:

What bottle shop was it? I'm in Brisbane and I'd rather not give them the business if I can avoid it.

Yeah, name and shame. Esp if it's in the Toowong/St Lucia area. We could always try getting a student boycott going.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

I'd go to one for sure, I need a break from managers telling me sob stories about how times are tough for business and shops are shutting "left and right"

*walked past 50 or so shops to hand my resume to you dude, what the gently caress are you rambling about*

To be fair, it is pretty hard for a lot of businesses these days. Consumer confidence is at an all time low (I wonder why!), rent prices for shops keep going up in the inner Bris metro area and the over all environment for small business is pretty poor lately.

If you're ever around the Mater hospital, check out the stretch of storefronts along Vulture St there. They're pretty much empty with a few exceptions, and I'm seeing a lot like that around Brisbane lately. Unless, of course, you're a big chain. Then you give no fucks.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

When it comes to resumes, a lot of it comes down to the look. You're competing with anywhere over 200-1000 odd other applications, you need your resume to look professional and stand out. I cannot help but laugh whenever I see a word doc resume because it just looks like no effort went in at all.

Indesign is good for resume making if you can...acquire a copy, for a fair price.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

xutech posted:

I'm all for a goonmeet, but perhaps at a place which doesn't have 24 dollar entrees.

As a uni student, I fully agree with this statement.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Got a phone call from Grilld, they let me know my application wasn't successful and when I asked why the poor girl was caught so off-guard all she could tell me was "goodbye"

Yeah, a lot of people in small business/franchise get really put off balance when you ask that. HR teams/etc are used to it, they get it all the time. Pretty poor form from that Grill'd, but I shun those guys already.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

One of the things is in a state where you have a primate city(the biggest city is disproportionately larger than any of the others in the region), the state government becomes in many ways a quasi-city council. Melbourne and Victoria certainly function like this in many aspects.

QLD is pretty much the same, but that could largely be because Newman is still in his Lord Mayor/local council frame of mind and used to doing things as he did before (which explains why he's going balls up).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Laserface posted:

I have been told on a few occasions that China is stupidly racist also, especially towards Indians.

It depends, Mainland Chinese look down on pretty much every other Asian background. Apparently if you're from Hong Kong, you just say "I'm from China" and never acknowledge you're from Hong Kong, there's some kind of stigma attached apparently. I have no idea beyond the basic poo poo I got told, but it's a mess from what I can make out.

In Asian countries, you'll find a lot of servants and labourers are either of Indian, Filipino and Indonesian backgrounds, so there's a certain stigma attached due to that. Not that I think people should look down on anyone due to background or their trade/work, but yeah, Asia has some weird ideas about social status that aren't even close to Left Western views.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

LordNagash posted:

d. foghorn leghorn

"What's the big, I say what's the big idea, getting in that car there, son? My word, you're a poor person son, a poor person. Poor people don't drive cars, you're taking the fuel right out of my tank. Stand up boy, you're tripping over your own bootstraps."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The stupid thing about climate change is that it isn't global warming, it's climate CHANGE.

Colder winters, warmer summers, it goes hand in hand. Climate change means we'll be facing more extremes, rather than the nice midrange we've experienced. Ugh, it's like saying Mercury isn't that hot when you're just talking about the dark side (for reference, it can drop to below -180C on the dark side of Mercury, while sun side it's about 460C).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Can anyone tell me if Lindt 90% is a struggling product?

We got some the other day to melt and put into a low carb cheesecake we made. It wasn't too bad, but Mithranderp somehow managed to be a pickier eater than myself and isn't too fond of it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Queensland public service is a lovely place to work, which is why it has to pay more. You also get therapy sessions generally, because the cognitive dissonance caused by working for a LNP shitheap is horrible.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, I really don't get anything nasty from it. It's the Youtube version of sitting around remembering the weird kids you went to school with. I went to school with a kid like Yilmaz and I taught one during my teaching placements. That's what keeps me thinking of it in a positive light. FJ isn't saying that Yilmaz was weird and we should laugh at him and mock him, it's that Yilmaz is weird but he was also a bright point and you laugh at the things he did because they are pleasant memories from a time where a lot of kids are confused and scared.

It's like, the first high school I went to, there was a kid with Down syndrome. Whenever I meet up from the people I keep in contact from that school, everyone always laughs and reminisces about the weird stuff he did like how, in the school play, he decided to improvise his lines with an off-the-cuff dance number during one of the most poignant scenes in the performance. And, sure, it might seem like we're mocking him for his disability, but his disability is what made him such a bright spot. I see Yilmaz in the same vein. You remember the good with the bad but you're not mocking.

I didn't see Yilmaz as racist, just a depicition of a stupid person at high school who also happened to be Turkish. He actually reminds me a lot of a guy at my high school who also just happened to be Turkish too, but his race wasn't the issue, just the fact he was a complete idiot. I mean, is friendlyjordies sexist because he dresses up and pretends to be a stuck up middle class woman?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Laserface posted:

Joe hockey is the liberals Yilmaz.

Stoooooooge

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Bompacho posted:

Yeah I don't know how the gently caress these guys got work at The Beat if they are Transphobic? It's, to my knowledge, the most famous LGBT destination in the city. What did they expect when they started working there?

Surely they aren't on the Beat payroll and were sourced through a security company like famous assholes Wilsons? Who will probably give them a slap on the wrist or make jokes about it in the office.

I'd say you're right, they're probably just from some company contracted to provide security. It makes sense to do this, because the club can disown the actions of the security staff and then go after the security company for any potential losses caused by their staff, depending on the contract. I'd imagine hiring your own security staff yourself would probably be a clusterfuck of legislation to deal with.

As far as I know, it's the more "famous" LGBT club in Brisbane, but I don't think it's the safest by a long shot. From what I'm told, a lot of straight people go there too now and some of my gay friends don't really consider it a "gay club" so much now days.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

epipen posted:

yeahhh queer clubs and events almost invariably end up becoming spectacles for straight people, because it brings in money, and almost as often becomes less safe for young queer folk as a result :smith:

AFAIK, the current choice spot for LGBT people to drink is the Sportsman, which is more of a pub than a club but it does seem to not attract the gawking straight people so much apparently. Wickham is closed (walked past it on the way to Merlo the other week), that's about all I know from talk with my friends but there could be others. I'm not the clubbing type so I have literally no idea what there is now days. The Valley at night is something not to behold.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

His reply is that Europe is hosed and will never recover and that the Government should test Youth Allowance, DSP, Pension and Superannuation against Household income in both sharehouse and family home environments. This will ensure no one can outright rely on government payments and cause "maximum employment in all age groups". Also we must abolish the minimum wage because business is better at deciding what the minimum wage should be because they are closer to analysing costs moreso than the government ever will be.

He cites his economics minor at UQ.

Because yeah, housemates are totally down for paying for the costs of other housemates.

Your friend sounds like a libertarian, shoot him.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

No, I'm in Fat Louie's. Where students of all Universities go and talk things.

ROFL, what the hell. Guy complains about bludgers and welfare in FAT LOUIE'S of all places. That's pretty much the lowest cost bar in town, who the hell is this guy?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

A uni student who works 2 jobs and thinks anyone who doesn't can do better.

Wait till he's 30 and had to scrounge for minimum wage work post uni. By that point people usually grow out of libertarian stupidity.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jacqui Lambie: Australia's answer to Sarah Palin

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Hey, I'm not unlucky, I've had jobs before. It's regaining employment that is the hard part. It's just a giant waiting game which is waiting for the employer who hates you the least. Given youth unemployment in Queensland is very high, my chances of getting a job slim down a little because there is always going to be someone out there with more resume experience than me. I will have my day, maybe.

I think two things are probably loving you up most, and sadly they're not things you can really help. Firstly, it's a ton easier to get a job when you're already in a job. Secondly, preference will always go to anyone who has any kind of tie to where they're applying (they know the hiring manager, or someone else there who puts in a word).

It's really lovely but yeah, I really do wish you the best but QLD is a loving hole for younger people to find work. If you wanted full time, I could probably hook you up but I'm fairly certain you're a student still so causal or p/t would be what you need?

EDIT: Yeah, the bakeries in the Adelaide hills (Lobethal Bakery, which operates at Woodside and a few other places) make the best loving donuts I've ever had. Anyone who says Krispy Kreme is a gourmet donut is kidding, this stuff is as big as a saucer and so drat good. It doesn't taste like you put a cup of sugar in your mouth either.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 19, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

I hope people start publicly calling Abbott a coward and his ego gets in the way.

Protesters should start calling him chicken and make chicken noises at him. His inner bully won't let it stand and he'll show them!

I love TA's body language when he's confronted with something like the "poo poo happens" comment, you can see he just wants to start throwing a few punches.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

The train Anidav takes to Auspol crashes and as I slowly die, Campbell Newman stands above my corpse wearing a hardhat.

"Bad Luck"

In other news, I have a friend working at a hospital and he works pretty much 9am-10pm and they only give him like a 5 minute lunch break. He thinks it's okay because he's a casual and when I gave him BCR-Advice to join a Union his reply was "But I'm not left wing"

Alas he will remain angry for being trampled on every day but a job's a job, mate.

He must have some huge level of self-hate, "I'm not left wing, so I don't need a lunch break.". The problem with casual employment is that it makes you so afraid to rock the boat, because they can flick you off in an instant.

Still, lol I'm not left wing. I don't get why anyone who's a casual worker and not in a high income profession would even think that being right wing might help them, but I suppose in his head he thinks he's doing well because unlike those other suckers, he's getting paid an extra half hour a day!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Last time the chaplaincy stuff went to the High Court I remember people (including people in the thread) saying they'd just rejig it slightly and then be able to put it through.

Yeah, basically the issue was the Commonwealth giving funding directly for an education program, something which is done by the states according to the constitution. This is all they had to do to get around it, but it requires the states to play ball.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Endman posted:

Little Johnny's parents can take him to the loving Private Hospital if they don't want their little precious snowflake waiting with the plebs for treatment.

That was my thought, if you've got private insurance, why are you going to a public hospital unless it's an emergency? (would a broken arm even constitute an emergency?)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

In an interesting turn of events: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/the-accc-is-suing-valve/

ACCC takes on Valve, who will win?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Australian consumer law would actually be a reasonable explanation for (marginally) higher regional pricing in a digital environment and I'm surprised no one has really trotted it out.

The reason the "Australian" pricing is applied is due to the publisher not wanting screw over their brick and mortar partners (i.e EB games, etc). Same reason why Adobe said they charge what they do here, because if online pricing were lower it'd undermine their regional partners. Also, the publishers want to milk as much as they can to increase profits (since a publisher is usually the one footing the dev bill).

Valve cannot really argue they're just an "American company selling online" since when buying in Australia, you're charged in AUD and the pricing is very different to other regions. If you're going to charge a price for different regions, then you can follow the consumer laws for those regions and offer TOS that are enforcable in each.

In the end, Valve won't care really anyway, they don't have the overhead that Australian retail fronts do and they probably see the same amount of profit on each game title (without having to factor retail shop costs, wages, etc, into it). It only really affects the publishers since it hits their bottom line more if refunds are offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Gyms are for idiots. Why pay for what you can get for free in the great outdoors?

Or harassing hapless Harvey Norman casuals?

• Locked thread