Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ghostwritingduck posted:

Survivor difficulty on Last of Us is really changing the way I play the game. On the PS3, I blasted everyone away and had a lot of fun. This time around, I find myself avoiding a lot of fights. Both ways of playing seem like they were well thought out by the developers. I think I'll go for the Platinum trophy, but the even newer harder difficulty looks like it's for crazy people.
I thought you couldn't avoid fights, in general. There always seems to be a barrier preventing you from going on until you've killed everyone, same as in Uncharted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Some are unavoidable, but you can sneak past a lot. My first play through I think I only killed 2 bloaters and I ran like a baby and got out the door before having to kill anything during the hotel basement generator stuff.
Only fights against zombies, or against people too? Every time I tried to sneak past people, I get to the end and find it blocked, so I eventually stopped trying for that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the PS4 version any different than the PC?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm legendarily bad at this game. I'm level 40 and not beaten a single boss or mini-boss. At least I can get 1000 or more gold per life now, finally. Was sick of 400 gold runs when my minimum upgrade was 450.
I'm level 40 and just barely beat the first one, so don't feel too bad.

edit: I keep expecting enemy levels to more or less correspond to the level you need to be to beat them, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all, unless I am missing something big.

edit: dwarfism rules for that first boss. Maybe the others too, but I haven't tried them yet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 4, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

I just hope we can stay in the animus the whole game. The Abstergo bits in Black Flag were cringe-worthy at times.
What I couldn't figure out is, was I supposed to think that Olivier was obnoxious as hell and no boss that anyone in their right mind would want? I mean, I did, but I think the game meant me to sympathize with him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

That was a real accent.
Yeah.

You guys know that Ubisoft is a French company, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lostleaf posted:

When did game suspending start working? I tabbed out from a game into Netflix and was able to go right back into the game. It doesn't work between 2 games though.
I think it depends on how much memory they use up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Whoa, not sure when this happened, but Kingdom Hearts 3 is listed on the Japanese PSN. On top of having a release date (February 25th, although likely a placeholder), :siren: it specifically says it will be downloadable, making it the first ever Kingdom Hearts game to offer a downloadable version. :siren:
The only question I really have is, am I going to know what the gently caress is going on in KH3, having not played the last fifteen games in the series? I.e., the last one I have played being KH2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Even if you've played all of the KH games you still won't know what is going on in KH3.
Yeah, it's not like I had a loving clue what was going on in 2 most of the time. Is there really a market out there for game stories that are this screwy? I mean, people who actually prefer it that way, and not just tolerate it because it's a game and the story is rarely worth paying attention to anyway?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I think I'm going to grab Rogue Legacy tomorrow because it looks awesome, but goddamn I am burned out on that midgety cartoony art style.
Yeah, it's really derivative and by far the least interesting thing about the game.

edit: so many people have died on my quest for....I don't even remember anymore. So many people. Oh well, at least the game has a more upbeat tone than Oreshika, a Japan-only PS1 RPG very much like this.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All I want from Capcom anymore is more Dragon's Dogma. And no, a free to play cellphone/Vita game doesn't count.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Along with some other stuff, the Mako stuff reminded me of Star Control 2 so it gave me joy-joy feelings. In retrospect it wasn't as much fun though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

I do kind of like that the answer to backwards compatibility this generation seems to be 'Remasters!' Also that the new consoles are apparently easy enough to develop for that making a remaster isn't a big deal.
If so, where the hell is my Dragon's Dogma remaster? That game ran like poo poo on the PS3. It seems like a prime candidate for it, but this IS Capcom we're talking about.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Happy Hedonist posted:

Who gives a gently caress? I can't contemplate giving two shits about trophies, and every time I see the word "cheevos" I want to gouge my loving eyes out and give the hobby up.
Actually I find the word "cheevos" intriguing and would like to know the exact order of changes the word "achievement" went through to arrive at that form.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mrEkli posted:

Tomb Raider Multiplayer is the stupidest thing ever. People just hop around (which I'm not convinced is faster than sprinting) while shooting overpowered weapons. What is even going on? Objective whatever.
So it's like Quake 3 or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess the most charitable thing I can say is that I hope his next project makes use of his good ideas and not his awful, awful ideas.

edit: I guess a prerequisite is that he understands why the ending of ME3 was awful, and I am not sure he does. Has anyone read an interview with him or something where he demonstrates that he knows the ending was awful and why? All I have heard is his responding to people saying that they wanted more closure for the characters, but that is completely beside the point as far as I am concerned.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

That guy was in great part responsible for Mass Effect being what it was from the very beginning, for better or worse, as well as Kotor. Pretty silly to dismiss his contribution to BW games based on that one misstep. I didn't agree with the exact direction he was taking the franchise but I certainly respect the guy. He had dreamy hair~

Plus, he graced Didio's custom title for a while, iirc.
I don't think it was just a misstep; somehow he demonstrated a complete misunderstanding of what he himself wrote. It makes me question everything else he writes from here on out. It makes me wonder if he's suddenly going to poo poo all over it for reasons known only to himself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

The real amusement and fun comes from how Bioware handled the whole situation. A friend of mine was in PR for a short while and he told me they pretty much did everything wrong and it was a very amusing trainwreck to watch from the sidelines. And indeed it was, more entertaining than the actual game if you ask me.
I'd like to hear the specifics of this (in terms of what they SHOULD have done) if you remember them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BreakAtmo posted:

This is actually kind of odd. Changes/consequences in important missions don't really fit with AC since the whole point is that what you're playing though 'already happened' and the intention is for you to recreate it as accurately as possible for better synchronisation. I mean, that's not exactly conducive to great gameplay, but it'll be interesting to see how this is implemented.
I really think this is just going to be an extension of the "do it again if you are a perfectionist and want 100% sync" thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just realized I don't even know where the power button or the disc drive is on the PS4 itself.
Yeah, it's not like they made them easy to find. Also, I was going to write "or identified which is which in any way" but I looked close and there are impossibly tiny little symbols on them for power on/off and disc eject. I don't have bad eyes or anything but goddamn I had to squint like hell to see which symbol was which.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Where the hell is my PS4 EDF game anyway? That was the most exciting announcement before the PS4's release for me. I was just playing some EDF4 and thinking how sweet it would be if it didn't run at 10-20fps. Oh, who am I kidding, they'd find a way to make it run that slowly on the PS4 too. But at least the load times would be shorter!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

If they remastered Saints Row 2 in some way I think I might die of happiness.
Well, that would be a matter of taking the environment and story stuff and building the game in the SR3/4 engine. I imagine that would be very difficult. But, the end of 4 kinda sorta hinted to me at a return to the origin for the next game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It was a minor controversy because Blizzard stated at one point that they weren't even sure if the game would be supported post-release.

Normally when a company says that they're not sure if it's going to happen - it's not going to happen. So Blizzard needed to clear the air.
Right, so why would they say a thing like that? I thought Blizzard was one of the smart game developers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

You know; it just dawned on me that I will be able to play GTA5 on the shitter with remote play. This is amazing.
What the hell is with people playing games on the shitter anyway? Y'all must have far more comfortable toilets than I ever have.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Having not played a CoD game since 4 I don't know, but is this the first one that allows a female avatar in multiplayer?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ularg posted:

This makes me wish Blizzard wouldn't hate weird people like me and give the PC version controller support. :(
Surely as we approach the age of the Steambox (and as Big Picture becomes more and more viable), things will change? I'm definitely a controller-based PC game player too.

edit: maybe someday the PS3 and PS4 will have the kind of selection and prices that Steam does, but until then, buying games that have controller support on the PC on the PC is still the smart thing to do.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 12, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So many zombie games, and still nothing to rival Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

New The Order: 1886 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ETWiK_Xps

Nichola Tesla :aaa:
I thought it was illegal to have steampunk stuff without him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

Destiny is the most pre-ordered new IP in the history of games. :confuoot:
I'm still rather confused as to its popularity. From the beta it seemed so beautiful but also somehow...hollow. I might end up getting it anyway and just hoping I was wrong about it, because I love that kind of game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

Good lord I can't even play P.T. It's legitimately terrifying to me. I don't know what it is but the opening minutes filled me with so much dread I had to shut it off. What the hell.
That's my reaction to all horror games these days. I'm not even going to try.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, catching up on the videos, MGS is now Tactical Box Action?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

I find it hilarious that MGS5 is supposed to be all about Big Boss losing what remains of his heroic MGS3 self, and yet he still puts pin-up girls on his cardboard boxes.
Like the Yakuza series, MGS is always about a careful balance of the melodramatic and the silly. I am ok with that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe it's based on some assumption that for every $100k or so to develop game that happens, there's a ten million dollar megaproject that doesn't?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a pretty safe assumption that no one is actually angry on the internet, so yeah, I agree that calling people angry is pretty dumb and doesn't add anything to discussions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm always worried about "indie" of anything calcifying into its own genre with it's own restrictions on how it's portrayed and marketed, and yeah, sometimes I think that's happened to games too. Hopefully it's only temporary.

On the other hand though, AAA games are the same way. I think I prefer mid-range games for this reason.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 13, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Save Russian Jews posted:

My favorite thing about metal gear is how ungodly lovely these superweapons are at killing one dude
Well yeah, they were designed to scare governments, not beat a single guy crawling around in a cardboard box.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at video of AC: Rogue, is it just a reskinned AC4? Does it have any of the advancements that Unity is supposedly going to have?

edit: MGS is MGS. It isn't anything else.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 14, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: I hadn't even heard of AC Rogue. They just can't stop running this poo poo into the ground can they? I don't think I have seen such an over saturation of an IP in my life. AC is like the Expendables of games.
Yeah. I used to really like the series, and I enjoyed the first half or so of 4, but it wore out its welcome. I have zero interest in playing an identical game again, and only if Unity is WAY different am I going to be interested in that.

But, doesn't the series still sell ten billion copies every time?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If it's like any other kind of game like this, "procedurally generated" means that there's a whole bunch of hand-made elements that are procedurally linked together in new ways. Once you've seen all those elements, there's little incentive to explore more, at least for me. Or is this game different somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally tried PS Now, using Dynasty Warriors 7, a game I know very well. Being in Honolulu I expected the lag to be intolerable and it definitely is, for an action game anyway. Such is life living in the middle of the ocean, I guess.

• Locked thread