occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

NewMars posted:

Is Major even a rank? What are the ranks, exactly?

Every rank beyond the top one is represented by the goons on the front page. It goes Ensign, Sub Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, Commodore, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral. (Zapp Brannigan is a Fleet Admiral but only he can attain that rank).

Tomn posted:

So I had to change my passport a few times to escape the long arm of the incorruptible Italian law, what of it? I, Paolo Cavaliere, care not so long as I can make a fortune!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

Unfortunately, I have no Brazilians of ship-captaining rank. Fortunately, I can make one - promoting people before their time tanks their Leaderships score, so by asking for the worst captain available I can simply take an average Ensign and immediately promote him to Captain days out of the Academy. He now has a Leadership of zero. He is only slightly better than having no captain at all.

Dang, I guess you can't put in question marks then? I was hoping to record deaths by incrementing the number of question marks following "BR."
Apart from that, beautiful.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

: Excellent! Now I can finally get to grip with the damned aliens, show them a bit of British steel, eh. What do you mean it's impractical to wear full dress uniform on the bridge? It would hardly be fitting to die whilst improperly dressed now would it? Next thing you'll be telling me not to carry my sword whilst on duty!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually as per Space Regulations 402.71K captains may wear whatever they drat well please on the bridge as long as it does not cause undue distress amongst the crew. We got that one passed when I pointed out that one of our best captains is Rex; thus providing empirical proof that a Captain can wear anything with no actual impact upon their ability to captain.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Neruz posted:

Actually as per Space Regulations 402.71K captains may wear whatever they drat well please on the bridge as long as it does not cause undue distress amongst the crew. We got that one passed when I pointed out that one of our best captains is Rex; thus providing empirical proof that a Captain can wear anything with no actual impact upon their ability to captain.

:Not to mention Space Regulation 403.72K: Captains may do whatever the hell they want on the bridge or outside it so long as it does not affect the crew or their ability to command unduly. That one got passed the moment I pointed out who the guy in charge of the fleet is.

Edit: Also, did anyone tell the fleet admiral that uniforms aren't unisex? Not only does he refuse to wear pants, but everything he wears is smothered in velour, it's weird and a little frightening! I mean, just look at him:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 28, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Quote is not edit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

NewMars posted:

:Not to mention Space Regulation 403.72K: Captains may do whatever the hell they want on the bridge or outside it so long as it does not affect the crew or their ability to command unduly. That one got passed the moment I pointed out who the guy in charge of the fleet is.

Edit: Also, did anyone tell the fleet admiral that uniforms aren't unisex? Not only does he refuse to wear pants, but everything he wears is smothered in velour, it's weird and a little frightening! I mean, just look at him:

Despite appearances that is the male uniform, our esteemed Fleet Admiral decided to make a few personal modifications for the benefit of crew morale. At least that's what's on the official documents we sent planetside to explain the attire to the council nations and I ain't gonna contradict the party line, got far too much Space Vodka to brew to waste time with that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Neruz posted:

Despite appearances that is the male uniform, our esteemed Fleet Admiral decided to make a few personal modifications for the benefit of crew morale. At least that's what's on the official documents we sent planetside to explain the attire to the council nations and I ain't gonna contradict the party line, got far too much Space Vodka to brew to waste time with that.

: So nobody's gonna be able to convince him to put on some underwear either, then? Aww, man. Hey, that reminds me...

I asked to be put on a destroyer like a million years ago! Also, since I'm now a commodore I demand my own fleet!

edit: OOC: it's to be called the A.S.S. Manstrong, but he doesn't want you to remember that.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 28, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I, Paolo Cavaliere, wish to make it known that I happened to find a fresh pair of Fleet Admiral pants, never used before, when it fell off the back of a space truck! If you wish to know the sublime joys of high rank and command (albeit only in your lower extremities,) you need but to contact me and I, Paolo Cavaliere, shall be happy to accommodate you for a perfectly reasonable fee!

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
In the admiral's defense morale did increase significantly after the uniform change.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

occipitallobe posted:

Every rank beyond the top one is represented by the goons on the front page. It goes Ensign, Sub Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, Commodore, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral. (Zapp Brannigan is a Fleet Admiral but only he can attain that rank).

So I can't make puns about being Major Ursus? drat.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'd like to volunteer Blast Hardcheese for this trainwreck. Preferably leading boarding parties to horrible deaths glorious victory.

Speaking of which, we should prioritize any tech that makes our marines better at feasting on the chocolaty interiors the alien ships hide beneath their hard shells of candy coating.

Cironian
Sep 8, 2013
Update from the sciences division:

An unfortunate confusion between imperial and metric unit systems has led to our advanced armor designs being less solid than they were supposed to and also caused one Commodore's genitals to be incorrectly classified as "above average" in our files. We apologize for the inconvenience. The errors have now been corrected. The persons responsible have kindly volunteered to join the next boarding shuttle crew.

Also, the research assistants have been warned to stop smoking so much space weed and making up unbuildable weapon designs years ahead of our technology "as a joke".

---

Solar War 1.03 is out now at http://solarwar.net
- Fixed armor damage resistance not working for stronger armor types
- Reassigned teleforce projector weapon to its proper technology
- Missiles no longer appear under "lost units" after a battle
- Updated lwjgl graphics library from 2.8.4 to 2.9.1 (should be more stable)

I'll send the new version to the various stores over the weekend, in case someone is unable to access the main site.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How, exactly, does space weed differ from terrestrial weed? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Cironian
Sep 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Inquiring minds wish to know.

Yes, that's what they said. However, their claims of this being a legitimate avenue of research were not helped by the preliminary finding of "we're, like, in space, admiral dudes!".

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
"Space Weed" is most certainly not a parasitic lifeforms intended to take control of your I mean our researchers and make them engineer deliberate weak points in the human er the fleet's ships that ended up being smoked by the assistants, also any statements that I was giving said "Space Weed" to said assistants is a lie intended to blackmail and must not be believed.
I vote Yes to any research more likely to spend the lives of trained soldiers...I mean improve boarding and now I go for a scuttle.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
From: Wasily Zhukovovsky
To: Order Headquarters, weapon development

Subject: Concerning the feasibility of Ballistic Flaming Chainsaw Bayonets (BFCB) for boarding actions

Comrades,

Recent losses during boarding actions can, even in the absence of eyewitnesses, be explained by the Imperialist-Reactionary-fascist-Xenos-invader-pigdogs utilizing their cowardly shield technology on a personal level.
This of course raises interesting questions. If the Xenos Scum indeed employs such shields, they will likely filter only objects or energy that hits them shielded area at high velocities, else their personel would be incapable of interacting with their own ship interiors. This task is likely energetically and computationally expensive, and it is thus important to make it even more unfeasible for the vile foe.
The shielding system likely encodes its directionality in via a polarisation step that would also allow for permissability of the shield from the direction of the Xenos (else the shield would block the Xenos own firepower).
I theorize, that while Close combat weaponry is likely capable of passing through personal shielding on its own, it likely does not destroy the shield permanently, meaning that a Xenos that defeats a charging human in close combat would be free to keep utilizing its personal shield in other combats.
Given that the shield likely operates by measuring impacting velocities, it is reasonable to assume that incoming objects with different velocities at different vectors can sufficiently overpower the algorythm, or make quick enough polarisation of the shield frequency impossible.
A combat weapon capable doing this could be a chainsaw affixed to the Rifle of our boarding operators. For further efficiency, I propose to add a liquid fuel storage with a drousing mechanism that can be used to said the chainsaw blade on fire. This would complicate Xenos Oxygen managment, add distractions and greatly reduce the efficiency of any infrared vision the foe may have. Lastly, we should adopt the ballistic mechanism of our own Speznaz knifes to enable sucessfull ranged combat using flaming Chainsawblades as projectiles . This will break their shields, and greatly increase Squad morale.
I sincerly hope that this proposal will be entertained by Weapons development HQ.

Signed

Wasily Zhukovovsky

P.S. Dont get excuses concerning overly expensive prototyping. I build a prototype in my spare time, it works, and if you say "no" I will demonstrate it on you and proceed to present your grieving relatives with a bill for the good Vodka I wasted to set it on fire.

OOC: Gonna make use of that inventor trait.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I was wondering, how fast do (surviving) people increase their skills, on average?

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
can I vote that We get an accounting of which ship goons are stationed upon? because I don't really know which ships most of us are on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

senrath posted:

I was wondering, how fast do (surviving) people increase their skills, on average?

Haha! You think we're here to survive? We're all dooooooomed.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Night10194 posted:

Haha! You think we're here to survive? We're all dooooooomed.

People have already survived multiple battles, thankyouverymuch.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

How, exactly, does space weed differ from terrestrial weed? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Genetically it's exactly the same, but back when this whole operation was being set up I remembered some of the old tests we did back during the space race regarding how various animals and plants flip the gently caress out and go all crazy or supercharged when you leave em in zero-g for awhile. Spiders spin totally insane webs that make no sense to anyone, not even the spiders. Plants grow in this sort of crazy wierd 'ball' that has no real defined top or bottom and is just leaves and roots everywhere (they look awesome, you put em in a little plastic bubble of hydroponic solution and just let em float around, very cathartic) and so on.

So I, and a few other members of our fleet independantly of myself had an idea; what would weed do in space? The answer as it turns out is it grows into an omnidirectional plantball just like most other plants and also happens to produce THC levels at a concentration level of about thirty times the normal amount.

Unfortunately further research on the subject stalled shortly after we worked that out, but I have hope that eventually we'll crowbar some lab techs back into semi-functional status and find out what's going on there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

http://imgur.com/nC5OQ1T

I leave this here with no qualifiers.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

senrath posted:

I was wondering, how fast do (surviving) people increase their skills, on average?

I believe it depends on training quality.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

senrath posted:

I was wondering, how fast do (surviving) people increase their skills, on average?

I have literally no idea. I will however take your character (17/30/51/23 & 119 xp) and Rex Manstrong (90/41/57/18 & 349 xp) and see how their stats change over the course of the coming update.

Godna posted:

can I vote that We get an accounting of which ship goons are stationed upon? because I don't really know which ships most of us are on.

There should be a bunch of posts which have ship-images whenever a ship is constructed or crew are changed - in those cases I post images of a ship with the new officers on it.

Also, I have literally no loving idea what happened to Sol Skaft. He didn't die, he didn't get traded out, and he's sure as poo poo not one of the officers I accidentally put in the other game. I checked through a whole bunch of savefiles and I didn't accidentally not save him and use his character for someone else. He has a tactical of 87 (making him easy to search for), and is an Indonesian with a boarding speciality. There aren't any Indonesians among the ranks of our Commanders and Lt. Commanders, so I seriously have no goddamn idea what's happened.

Thankfully the savefiles are xml so I can go right ahead and edit him back into existence.

By way of apology for losing him in a spacetime vortex, command has posthumously (but also prehumously) promoted Sol Skaft to Captain. Having spent several years fighting aliens in adventures through time and space, he both now is an Alien Hater, and the fact that he survived this has given him the Survivor trait. Of course, due to complications with retrieving his original body he is now inhabiting the body of a German ensign, but given that she was the women's powerlifting champion at the 2016 Olympics, command assumes that will not be a problem.

The Sandman posted:

I'd like to volunteer Blast Hardcheese for this trainwreck. Preferably leading boarding parties to horrible deaths glorious victory.

Speaking of which, we should prioritize any tech that makes our marines better at feasting on the chocolaty interiors the alien ships hide beneath their hard shells of candy coating.

Thank god. We'll finally have a man on the ship who's capable of combat.

reignonyourparade posted:

Dang, I guess you can't put in question marks then? I was hoping to record deaths by incrementing the number of question marks following "BR."
Apart from that, beautiful.

Question mark added. I must've missed it.

NewMars posted:

: So nobody's gonna be able to convince him to put on some underwear either, then? Aww, man. Hey, that reminds me...

I asked to be put on a destroyer like a million years ago! Also, since I'm now a commodore I demand my own fleet!

edit: OOC: it's to be called the A.S.S. Manstrong, but he doesn't want you to remember that.

Unfortunately, Commodore Manstrong, we have implemented a new system in which we use our highly advanced machine intelligences to help administer ship commands. Lieutentant Commander Delta Green was eager to assist us in order to assure that "NO INCOMPETENT BACKSTABBING FOOLS CAPTAIN ANY OF OUR MOST VALUABLE SHIPS". We appreciate the assistance he's given us in this matter, and if you're worried about your ship priority, simply submit a complaints form available by sending a request to Delta Green's office.

(You can command a fleet or captain a ship. As it stands though we have four goon fleets and four goon admirals, so they get priority as they can't captain ships. Also, goons get new ships as either A - I run out of goon captains and give the goon in the worst ship the newest, best ship, or B - A goon's ship gets destroyed in noble and honorable combat and as such they get the newest ship out of the shop.)

Starting to play through the update now.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

occipitallobe posted:

I took a bad Russian and promoted him twice to make him even worse. You're welcome.

Excellent! We will bringing the battles to the enemy! It is a good day to die!

Godna

[...]

:stare:

So uhh command let it be said the warp drive you are making will work...,but uhhh lets hold off on Warp drive boarding shuttles...I'm going to go lay down before the whole Manstrong space squid monster invades Moonyork...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I guess that explains some of the anomalous readings we got during test #17. I told them it looked like some mass had gotten into the test chamber.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
No that was Manstrong's welcome back basket...the one from when he took a day off and ordered it for himself

Cironian
Sep 8, 2013

senrath posted:

I was wondering, how fast do (surviving) people increase their skills, on average?

Whenever a character gains XP, his skills increase, with the skill of his current assignment having the highest chance of getting the increase. High skilled characters may no longer get 1 skill point for 1 XP, but for starters that is usually the case.

There's 2 main ways that gain you XP:
1) Every day each character no matter where has a small chance of gaining an XP point as passive gain. It's not much, but it's free.
2) After a battle, every surviving character involved gets XP based on enemy tonnage destroyed, compared to your own fleet. (Winning with an overwhelming force on your side is not much of a learning experience)

Over the game, most of your gains will usually come from battle XP even if that's not much right now. There's also a small bonus when you get rescued after ship destruction, but that's not really something you have much control over.

All gains get lower for high ranking characters from Lt.Cdr on up. For example, a Captain gains 70% the XP of an Lt and a Commodore gains 50%. Cronies and Groundsiders (while they have the trait) gain a lot less.

"Rare" characters gain about 40% more XP overall, and those serving on a ship with another "inspiring" character get 20% more battle XP.

Your experience level (Regular, Veteran, Ace, Elite) determines how far any one skill can grow. Only elites can reach 100 in a skill. Your experience level will increase over time just by total XP gained.

Also, if you get to 100 "experience in grade" you will no longer gain skill points until you get promoted! (you can gain XP for level purposes though)

Crew also level up from battles, not that anyone cares about them.

So, short answer to your question: It depends. :)

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

September 30, 2017 to April 18, 2018

Updates from here on in are going to get longer - ships take longer to build, research takes longer to undertake, and there's a lot of downtime between interesting choices. Since we're no longer just playing 'defend Earth' we have a whole bunch more options as to what we build and what our fleet does.

Note: For my next post I'm going to do a big roundup post - all our available techs (those that we'd be interested in using on our ships, that is), a picture of every single ship in the main fleet (which will include their crewmembers), as well as updating the current rank on the front page for all goons. Furthermore, current ship captains will have the opportunity to rename their current ships if they so desire.

Our traditional budget increase goes through.

Moon Base Gingrich gets its first NSA contingent. If the aliens have done nothing wrong, they've got nothing to hide.

An alien fleet is detected inbound to the Moon. The new holding facility, named Gingrich Bay has been set up.

An enemy fleet hits the moon. Two alien light cruisers and a frigate. The numbers, however, are still very much on our side.

The first scan of an inbound alien frigate. The larger gravity shields of the light cruisers make it difficult to figure out precisely what they're using (not enough scan points).

A few moments later the frigate goes up in a glorious antimatter fireball.

Later on, boarders gain control of an alien Light Cruiser. Moments later, missile slam into it, killing everyone aboard. (I honestly didn't expect my boarders to succeed, but I got their shields/structure down faster than I anticipated). Sol Skaft fireman carries four of his crewman and a captive alien back into the shuttle, saving many lives.

So we get this. We lost a light cruiser before we even built one. When I said I'm hilariously bad at this game, I meant it.

Gingrich Bay finds its first inhabitant. (We can now research stuff like alien language and motivation)

As a reward for his performance in captaining a boarding shuttle, Sol Skaft is given his own ship.

October finds another budget increase.

The first step towards gravity shields is taken.

Yeah. This is the reason our moon colony is legitimate. Mining important resources matters - we're going to want more of every single rare resource than we can reasonably ever have.

With the research on anomalous materials, we find ourselves able to mine Tesseractite on the Moon, to the tune of 10.0 t a month. Well, if we had the best possible mining gear. We'll actually start mining 1.5t a month once we set up a Resource Extractor on the moon.

Yet another destroyer is complete.

This one is given to Captain Kerman.

With the completion of the destroyer, Earth begins construction of much-needed infrastructure.

"Man, we totally need hydroponics, dude.", is the analysis from the science department.

The first Light Cruiser design is completed. Note the total and complete lack of weapons. The job of our Light Cruisers is to max out defense, and run away if they start getting shot at.

The new President of the United States of America, Newt Gingrich (having won the position from Hillary Clinton in a duel with pistols) finds the moonbase name acceptable and allows a budget increase.

*smokes space weed*

A new Warp Array is finished. It quadruples our interplanetary warp speed.

Our scanners are able to detect an alien settlement on Mars. It's around the same size as the one we aim to have on the Moon.

Another month passes, and another budget increase is passed.

Our first interplanetary-drive equipped ship is complete.

Our regular fleets take 3 days to go from Earth to the Moon. Our new Sectoid UFO-class Light Cruisers take 2 hours.

Gravity shields are now available. Powerful. Tough. Sensuous.

A basic accounting of how much power/heat/space they'll use on one of our destroyers is made available.

Another fleet inbound for the moon. President Gingrich theorizes that the aliens are Democrats.

(This battle is fairly boring. Aliens have trouble hitting, nobody dies, we capture a single alien frigate.)

Another flawless victory for the forces of Earth. (Playing defense is fairly easy. Our endless stream of losses will really come into their own once we start to assault enemy starbases and whatnot.)

More budget increasingness.

The Australians want Rex Manstrong back. We naturally agree, but two days after he's given back the Australians send him back, stating that they actually wanted "Smex Manstrong", and "Please just take him back".

120 industry to start repairing that frigate we captured. After three months it's not even one-third repaired. (I end up playing through an alternative game to see how long it'd take to repair). I estimate it'd take around 3 destroyers worth of hammers to repair. It's nowhere near that good.

The Australians are kept in line with threats of releasing Manstrong. The budget is once again increased.

The Moon Settlement is complete! The first territory solely under Order control, Newttown is a settlement with thousands of thriving citizens.

More income! More!

New ECM is complete. With that, we stop for a breather. Time to chat to the Committee.

Also, here are the present forces of the Cosmonewts, along with ship names.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 30, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
My own feeling is now we have a live alien, we should immediately attempt to learn everything about it.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

occipitallobe posted:

Since we're no longer just playing 'defend Earth' we have a

We have a what? We have a what?!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I probably should have done this earlier, but I'd like to send Nikita Dolvich into the glorious navy.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Dachshundofdoom posted:

We have a what? We have a what?!

Whoops. Edited in.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

September 30, 2017 to April 18, 2018

The Australians want Rex Manstrong back. We naturally agree, but two days after he's given back the Australians send him back, stating that they actually wanted "Smex Manstrong", and "Please just take him back".

: Oh, well screw you too. I mean, I'm sorry I'm not able to live up to the prestigious standards set by an institution whose most notable contribution to the field of aquatic warfare was being the only nation to ever lose a modern warship to an armed merchant tug. I guess I'll just have to be content with being the best commodore of the loving space navy. With space lasers.

....Man, I love my job.

Edit: Wait a sec, we have a warp-capable alien warship. Does this mean we have the capability to assault mars?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 30, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

NewMars posted:

Edit: Wait a sec, we have a warp-capable alien warship. Does this mean we have the capability to assault mars?

We did have a warp-capable alien warship. We accidentally blew it up mere seconds after we captured it, though. We've started building our own warp-capable light cruisers, though, and completed one during the update.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NewMars posted:

Edit: Wait a sec, we have a warp-capable alien warship. Does this mean we have the capability to assault mars?

The ability to go there and die en masse sure

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Bloody hell! After the utter chaos that was making a boarding attempt without understanding how boarding works now we're going to send good men to die around mars making an interplanetary assault without understanding how interplanetary assaults work? How about we just detonate the cruiser while its en-route and save ourselves the effort.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

Bloody hell! After the utter chaos that was making a boarding attempt without understanding how boarding works now we're going to send good men to die around mars making an interplanetary assault without understanding how interplanetary assaults work? How about we just detonate the cruiser while its en-route and save ourselves the effort.

Finally, upon Mars I shall find the sweet release of noble death. I volunteer to lead the task force personally.

  • Locked thread