Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I downloaded Minecraft again and had forgotten how much I love games like that.

What's the new hotness for survival/building?
I played Ark but, like Rust, it was ruined by other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just wanna say that V Rising is so goddamn good. I seriously love most everything about it.

I wish the blood type vision was a passive with no filter but eh, no biggie.

I'm playing solo with 5X resources and 5X stacks. No way do I have time to do it solo at 1X.

Even so, I've got 30ish hours in and the way systems are integrated pleases me greatly.

Also, you can teleport while on a horse. What a time saver!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kevin Bacon posted:

havent you seen the movie/cautionary tale "the fly"? please dont do this

Heh, my flesh is dead. No more risk of fusion than teleporting while wearing leather.

Has anyone moved their castle late in game?
I'm almost post-iron and I'd like to move somewhere more central.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kevin Bacon posted:

my crew has one castle for each region. seems like there is little reason to keep your castle in a different region than your current needs in terms of materials? i haven't played much since we moved into the second region, but i can't recall a need to ever go to the first region to get anything

Makes sense. Made a new castle from scratch north of the iron mine and already like the layout much more.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What're some good survival games with colony management elements?

I've played loads of Sons of The Forest and being able to issue orders to follower(s) is really fun. Setting up blueprints and then telling my mute friend to handle all the busy work is not something I've seen before.
Sure pure colony sims do that but you're not playing as a character, just god/manager.

I'd really love SOTF but with more followers and a bird's eye camera for building and management.

Seems like games will only do one or the other.

Edit: oh gently caress I didn't know Palworld was coming out tomorrow. Looks right up my alley.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 18, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Necesse is actually why I asked, haha!
I adore it but was hoping someone was making a 3D version or something like it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jawnycat posted:

CDDA has npc outpost management if you get far along enough and can get enough survivors together; specific structures or empty fields can be converted to a outpost/built into an outpost. NPC's are great in CDDA in general, you can set them to dissemble/sort/assemble/etc stuff you put in specific areas, as well as go out and scavenge for materials/supplies from an outpost, and they function as extra lives as you can keep playing as one of your npc's once you die.

And of course you can just, have them tag along with you all the time and issue orders and stuff, tho they tend to be a bit dumb in combat situations and you need to learn how to properly configure there rules and behavior.

Interesting, never heard of it before but it's now on my list.

I've play a metric poo poo ton of State of Decay (and the sequel) and wish for a game where:
1) You can build either anywhere or in many more locations than the pre-determined sites. Or at least give more flexibility/options within those sites.
2) Be able to send out your colonists with specific objectives. They will passively sometimes bring in a couple items but it's not the same.

Back in the day I spent SO LONG in Fallout 4 in the settlement builder making all sorts of stuff (including a recreation of Paddy's Pub from Always Sunny) but had to stop because it wasn't refined or meaningful. The settlers also were hollow and interchangeable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I loved SOD 1 and 2, didn't play anywhere near as much of the 2nd one though. It didn't feel as engaging for me. The whole seasonal trader thing etc annoyed me too. I am looking forward to the 3rd one they announced years ago and then haven't said a word about since though.

The seasonal stuff is a little annoying but you can always just use a trainer to permanently unlock that stuff. Not an ideal solution but it's easy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Palworld owns.

There are some pathing problems but most of the Pals do work as expected. NPC raids are neat but traps seem like single-use so far. Thankfully you can set up sentries and such.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spent a lot of time on Palworld and absolutely adore it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Enshrouded seems neat. I put a couple hours in to it and can dig what it's going for.

Crafting is okay but it doesn't pull from boxes, which is a crime, to me. If you say I can only build within a certain radius, don't make me hunt through chests for my spare goblin asses!
Building is cool and flexible but is going to take a while to get used to on KBM.

I appreciate that your inventory is based on slots, not slots AND weight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh, well I'm happy about that, then.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have four NPCs unlocked in Enshrouded and I'd have to say that I like it overall!

My fun will increase a billionfold when I can craft from boxes.

MP is good fun but my friend kept crashing at random times.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Enshrouded.jpg

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm officially putting Enshrouded in Very Good category.

It really does take some getting used to but now that everything has clicked, I can't stop playing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh, and the magic boxes in Enshrouded are actually not expensive to make. You craft a normal box and then shove a bunch of the common spores in to it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only rough thing about Enshrouded is the sparse nature of waypoints.

I only have two altars, so it's hard to zoom around the map with any real speed, which gets very annoying when you keep dying at the same camp and get spawned 600m away.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Locator posted:

Since altars are only 5 stone, I make one, plop it down near a new exploration area and then when I'm done with that area, I fast travel back to that altar and extinguish it before fast travelling home. Between this and gliding from the super tall towers, I'm finding it pretty quick to get back to my death spots now.

Yeah after I posted I realized that I could drop an additional 6 altars and have been doing so since.
Wish it was a little bit clearer but it's more likely my fault.

I scrapped my house and am remaking it like an ancient Roman estate. Gonna need A LOT of clay, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Roots stay dead since they give out skill points.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vasudus posted:

An enshrouded tip for folks building that want to make something underground: Building a block and then deleting it will remove the terrain that it clips into. So you can build/remove a bunch of foundations to get the desired depth, build out how you want, and then use the terrain block feature to put a cap on it. Much, much, much easier than manually digging out everything with a pickaxe.

Realized this about halfway through my lovely underground hobbit hole base I made.

You can also use the terrain tool and right click to delete terrain and get dirt and stone out of it.
Just take the wide brush and go to town.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I blasted through Sons of The Forest when it first came out and have a hankering to do it again.

Have there been significant updates that would make it worthwhile?
I saw that you can set up blueprints now and tell Kevin to finish them all for you, along with filling up holders when there's room, which is rad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I dumped 50 hours in Enshrouded. The building is really drat good and much more flexible than the detractors will say.

You have the option of using prefab pieces for the large areas like door frames, walls and roofs but you can get as granular as you want with the tools.

What I love is that if I've placed an 8x8 wall but want to extend it 2 units, I just overlay the same piece, move it two units and only get charged materials for the new two units, not eight.

I don't have it handy but I made an intricate wizard tower with a glowing heart and it was actually somewhat easy to assemble once I had a plan.

The exploration is also a big draw since roughly half the map is covered in a deadly fog that will kill you if you stay in it too long. There are many ways to extend this time but having a timer while exploring a dank dungeon is fun.

You can also freely deform the landscape as you see fit, not just on a grid. You can straight up sculpt things if you have the inclination.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lol Nightingale's always connected and online even if you're in single player. And there's lag!

No, how, what???

Gonna give it a few weeks before I try it, then.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Everyone should play Necesse.
Not only is it base building, exploration and crafting, you can make whole villages full of NPCs that act intelligently!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sons of The Forest 1.0 releases tomorrow.

I played through everything it had at release and can't wait to replay it with all the new stuff.

Though I liked it that the cannibals didn't attack as much if you left them alone but it seems like it's been changed to expecting you to genocide them to keep raids down.

It was nice seeing them try to goad you in to attacking but now the whole system is changed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TeaJay posted:

Pretty much the same, gonna be trying it out as well - the story was pretty laughable and short in the EA release.

Not excited about the cannibal part, though, if it works like that. I'd much rather have an uneasy alliance with the locals than basically have to start killing them. Or at least see if there's a setting (I think there was) for your base to take no damage.

Yeah you can set your base to not take damage, which is what I recommend. It's a pain in the rear end to get an inconvenient raid that demolishes hours of work. They can be plenty deadly as-is, no need to make it miserable.
Aside from your helpers, there are no automated defenses that I know of, so I think it is best to have a tiny bit of safe haven.

Not sure where I want to build this time. There are certainly some neat cliffside locals that offer tons of defense but they tend to be really out of the way. A floating base made during the winter is always tempting but you can't do that right away. Maybe the golf course for the flat land and great sight lines? Not a lot of resources, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are the worlds in Nightingale random or handmade?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aw poo poo, for some reason I thought Pacific Drove was a survival roguelike. Dunno where I got that idea...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Enshrouded is very stable and fleshed out. It uses the Valheim system where you can take your character and items to other servers at will, if you like.

Haven't played Nightingale yet but Enshrouded is really drat fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't know how to describe it but drinking water in Sons of The Forest feels actually refreshing to me.
Reminds me of hiking and finally stopping to get some cool water but there's something else to it.

Anyway, SOTF still kicks major rear end and I'm hyped to play it again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mzbundifund posted:

How grindy is Enshrouded?

It's only grindy if you want to build a massive structure out of a rare material.
I did everything offered in EA and never felt bogged down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spanish Matlock posted:

Enshrouded has been interesting. There's a lot of stuff in here that should be industry standard by now but is still refreshing to see.

1 - repair for free every time you open up the bench
2 - don't drop tools on death, just resources
3 - voxel-based building that smoothly integrates into larger more detailed structures
4 - buildable fast travel points that you can travel to without dying

I was leery because people had been saying that you don't get the storage item that lets you craft from storage until later but I completely skipped over the regular one it's super easy to get.

That storage used to be much later but was patched.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They actually changed the cannibal behavior for 1.0 to make them very aggressive until you start slaughtering their camps and patrols.
I wholly agree it was better when it felt like you were a curiosity to them and they were trying to goad you in to a fight. I don't like how they are handled now, somewhat.

Agreed about the book building nonsense. It's so clumsy and slow.

Eiba posted:

Honestly, the way people keep talking about Enshrouded, I think it's the game I'm looking for.

I know it's hard to quantify, but how much content is there currently? I get the impression that it's something like a Valheim situation where it peters out, but that's okay with me. Does it have about as much to do as Valheim had at launch? Significantly less?

I got 100 hours in to it with building two large bases and clearing every currently available mission. It's good!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spanish Matlock posted:

The building system in enshrouded is great. I built a house and then built a basement underneath it, which is something I really wished I could do in Valheim. My buddy made a giant mountain mansion with a significant basement but he had to dig it all out first. It was really effortless to get this to work and I like how natural it looks while its a work in progress.

You can use the terrain tool and right click to delete dirt and rock. Save your sweat for something else!

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 5, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Going back to Sons of the Forest has been great because of the new enemy types.

I was out trying to spear a fish when I heard glass shattering and a cannibal ran at me while on fire.
Only later when I saw that unit again did I realize they do it on purpose.

They've also done a good job redoing some of the caves because the chamber right before you get the shovel has a new mutant type and it scared the piss out of me at first.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Verviticus posted:

is the system by which cannibals escalate the attacks on you a little less annoying or catastrophic or does it still culminate in 99999999 mega mutants smashing everything you own

Uhhhh it can get pretty rough but their AI isn't so great that they can't be tricked by an old fashioned killbox.
Putting out loads of reinforced sharpened sticks is plenty to keep the riffraff at bay.

The big ones still need to be dealt with but a crossbow bolt to the dome downs pretty much everyone.

I have yet to play with the advanced traps or electric fence but I bet they give you a lot of breathing room.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah! I think it needs more enemy types, weapons types/variants and little bits of tweaking here and there but the foundation is excellent.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I finally caved and started cheating in Sons of The Forest.
I've already beaten the story in beta and am one section from doing it again in 1.0, so there's not exactly much more to discover. I just want to build a nice lakeside chateau without having to spend literal hours carting logs around.
My old base had a nice Zipline system for delivering logs down from a cliff and in to storage but I don't want to bother anymore.

It's really nice to have unlimited logs and rocks to gently caress around with and when I screw something up, just chuck materials down the river. Make it the ocean's problem!

Not sure if I've found all the extra recipes but I now have spotlights and whirling blender traps that destroy everything but the 8 foot tall leaping butthole monster.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RandomBlue posted:

I'm tired of hypothetical medieval peasants judging me.

None of them have ever had flavor blasted nacho cheese, so I don't care about their opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SlyFrog posted:

What's the best open worldish survival game (other than Subnautica, which I loved but finished) purely for solo play?

Like I don't care if the game can handle multiple players, but it needs to be really good solo - I won't be playing with others.

I played a massive amount of Enshrouded and Sons of The Forest solo. The latter is explicitly designed as a SP game and the MP is more for goofing around.

SOTF is a horror game but half the time you'll be chilling in nature building log cabins and zip lining.