Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Speedball posted:

Tried out a bit of Green Hell. Graphics are pretty great but having just come off The Forest I am struck by how needlessly complex some of the systems in Green Hell are, like having to drag your mouse around to inspect every side of your limbs for damage, or that there are FOUR nutrition meters you have to check with a wristwatch. Plus the notebook does not immediately cut to you building stuff in front of you blueprint-style like the Forest does, it's just a...cheat sheet and you have to move two or three menus over to build stuff. I'm sure some simulation junkies will love that, but it seems to get in the way of me having fun building treehouses. Your mileage may vary, of course...

Supposedly you actually do go crazy in Green Hell if you don't take care of your mind, you hear voices and crap. I dunno. I might sleep on this one till later this year. Thank god for Steam Refunds...
Since it came out of EA recently, I just bought Green Hell today and the notebook does go straight to blueprints, at least now. It's also got a ton of discrete difficulty sliders so the first thing I did was turn off the killer cannibals since the game has enough challenge outside of them. I appreciate the four nutrition bars (one's water) because it means you can't just do like you do in most survival games and get the cheapest/easiest food source and just sit on it forever. Construction options have definitely opened up from what I saw when I first heard of the game, too. The body inspection system is mostly just used to check yourself for leeches; when you have a more serious injury to tend to, you'll know it.
I didn't find the interface any more obnoxious than The Forest, personally. And I like the increased survival sim/difficulty levels, since I felt that was really lacking in The Forest. Plus, I have to admit I'm liking the story mode a lot more than I thought I would, especially since I just came for the Survival Mode.
I'll give a more detailed rundown if people are interested or have questions but so far it's not bad even for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

I played NMS recently with the new updates. My advice is: don't bother. They built this system that's capable of generating an infinite variety of cool looking animals, and what do you do in the game? 95% of your time is looking for the right rocks, then pointing your laser at that rock. Every time you move your ship there's an annoying resource tax, so you're hoofing it half the time.

Each new planet only contains a few species of animal, so it's ridiculously bare and all there is to do is find more drat rocks. Let me explore your universe, you stupid game!

I say all this as someone who genuinely loves a lot of rock mining games. Not this one.
From what I can tell the gameplay is mostly about using a jetpack to very slowly fly unreasonably long distances across samey landscapes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hub Cat posted:

So has anybody checked out Green Hell? Its on sale on steam and I'm curious if its worth jumping on especially compared to The Forest.
I enjoyed it a lot, and way more than the Forest. The Forest, which I followed from the start, never really felt complete. The way health and hunger were tied together, how easy it was to survive, how most of the game was based on combat and knowing certain areas, how you can get the best tool in the game like 3 minutes in. It just had a sort of flimsy, unfinished, unbalanced feeling I never really got over.

Green Hell is much more survival focused, you can get various illnesses or conditions, from food poisoning and rashes to insomnia and parasites. A lot of the game is based more around scrounging to survive, making shelter, filtering water, that sort of thing. The interface can be a little difficult to figure out at first but honestly it made more sense to me than the Forest's, because it was all physically represented with your backpack, you play RE4 style inventory tetris to store things, and everything's got a context menu on right-click. The macroelements mean managing four intake categories: fats (mostly nuts and fatty meat), proteins (fish, meat), carbs (veggies and fruits), and water. But even if you neglect one category, you don't die. No water will kill you but having, say, full carbs and no fats just means your max health will be lower and you'll fatigue slightly faster. Overall I feel the game gets made more complicated than it needs to be by some players but the tutorial does a pretty good job of prepping you. To be fair it leaves out a few things, like using coconut shells to gather rainwater as a major source of hydration, or being able to make stews by putting ingredients into water containers sitting at a fireside.

So basically, more complex survival, less focus on combat. I strongly recommend it if you liked the Forest because to me it was everything I wanted from it but better. Not everyone wants the same thing out of it, but me personally, I went right into endless mode right after I beat the story, and I'm about 60 days of survival in at this point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh, and one feature I really appreciated was how customizable the difficulty was. You could turn almost any difficulty feature on or off separately, and the nutrient requirements have high and low settings to control how often you need to eat. I initially left it at medium but after getting my bearings in endless mode I restarted on high nutrient consumption, just to get a better focus on building shelter, infrastructure, and providing food. It leaves less time overall for other activities because so much of your work will just be on seeing the next day and keeping yourself healthy, but it feels more rewarding when you finally get stable long enough for a serious outing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know it's been mentioned in this thread already, but I'll use UnReal World as a tangent to recommend Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Cataclysm is a pretty difficult game to get a handle on for a number of reasons but anyone who's played UnReal World will probably find a lot they recognize immediately in terms of things like context-based action menus, line of sight, crafting and long-session actions, and so on.
It has its flaws and while I personally love it I'll say up-front that some people will bounce right off of it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Like some of the stories of UnReal World here, I initially couldn't get into it but I stuck with it until one day everything just clicked into place, now I come back to it regularly. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it "post-apocalyptic UnReal World" but it clearly drew a lot of inspiration from it, especially in terms of base building and construction, crafting, travel, even locational wounds and injuries. If you can get over the common roguelike hurdles of dealing with its interface and difficulty, it'll keep your attention for a long time.

Qubee posted:

We're all different and some people love the thrill of knowing they've only got one shot at it, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say being given the choice would be nice.
Honestly agree, permadeath is obnoxious for me in any game with normal runs that last longer than one of Noita's.

Rutibex posted:

No, I don't mean its a thrill to know you only have one shot. I mean you are supposed to die and start over again. Starting over is the best part. These games are not meant to be played long-term like sim city. Once you get yourself well set up there isn't much gameplay remaining, the only thing left to do is die in an interesting way.
I like starting over in some games. But generally, at my own discretion. In games where I can play a single character for 10+ hours, I'd rather start over when I'm ready to than when I make a single misstep and inescapably end the run I've been playing for the last two weeks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fayk posted:

What really killed the game for me was building a house. That process was an absolutely stupid number of individual actions and 'grind'. I was laying in bed while sick and I think it took me literal IRL hours of repetitive actions despite the game being relatively 'instantaneous' actions and turns.
When I finally did build a house I lost all motivation to keep playing. I had my end goal and was more or less set for life.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

Did no one tell the green hell developer that you shouldn't expect the player to go around shoving strange unidentified mushrooms into their mouth at the first opportunity?

Cool game but man you're gonna die over and over in the first 15 mins of the game unless you're glued to the wiki. I literally could not find water because the coconut shell out in the rain was not explained to me, nor was soup.

I love the graphics and inventory display but it's got a really weird specific narrow view of a scrounging survival game.
After my first sampling, I realized mushrooms (and other unknown plants) were things I should only consume when I'm otherwise well fed and well hydrated. Without medicine/a full stomach, wild plants can be dangerous. But it was worth documenting them over time. I do wish, however, that you could name the plants, even if only manually. Seeing "unknown mushroom" after having eaten hundreds over my months in the jungle can be frustrating.
As for water, I'm trying to think of an area of the map that doesn't have any water. You're almost always near a river, stream, or lake, since the rainforest is very wet. I didn't know about coconut shells either, and they were a gamechanger, but you can always just boil water.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'd play the hell out of a TerraFirmaCraft clone. Something with a better UI, graphics, and enemy design.
https://www.vintagestory.at/
My understanding is that Vintage Story is basically trying to make TFC as its own, more realized game. Not sure how well they succeeded so far, since I haven't played it yet, and it's still in relatively early development. But that's the goal, at least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

"You've got a broken leg and your health is ticking down, the creature that caused it is still attacking you, and your PDA menus don't stop time so good luck figuring out how to perform emergency surgery before you bite it! Also you're on the edge of starving to death because you can't find a specific plant you need that provides food, the tutorial tells you to craft something you haven't unlocked yet and didn't explain how to unlock things
How did you capture the perfect essence of an EA survival game so succinctly

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

I've stated on Cataclysm:DDA and it's starting to sink it's claws in. It's got the usual roguelike frontloaded complexity, but the loop of raiding houses while evading a zombie horde that's on your scent is extremely satisfying. Game also gives no fucks if house you kill your enemies. Lure unbeatably tough enemy into a minefield? Lock a dozen zombies in a house and set it on fire? Honk your car's horn while round the corner from an automated turrer? Go right ahead! So of course, on my last run, I ran into a barricaded house to avoid a high level zombie and since that was distracting me I didn't notice that it was filled with landmines and blew myself to gently caress. What a game.
Cataclysm DDA is a game someone pitched to me as being obtuse by its design rather than its actual mechanics. It took me maybe a dozen dead characters before I finally realized what the game actually wanted me to do, how I was supposed to interact with it, but once that finally made sense I was off like lightning. It's so broad and so deep, and as you said, the core loop of building, exploring, looting and returning is done so well that I inevitably forgive all the game's other flaws. It takes a special kind of understanding to get on board with but if you can get past that first wall it'll probably have its teeth in you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has anyone played Generation Zero? Seems too good to be true. To me this looks like a better version of Sir, You Are Being Hunted? That game also looked good on the surface, but once you play it for about 10 minutes you start to realize that it sucks.
I've got quite a lot invested in the game so here's a big effortpost about it:

You want to know if there's a catch, and there is: it's very buggy in a specific all or nothing way. This is the same reason Steam reviews are so negative, and rightfully so. General performance is surprisingly good, but it's plagued with crashes, depending on the machine. You might be one of the people like me who never runs into trouble. But I tried playing with a friend who would get crashes at absolutely random intervals, sometimes after an hour of play, sometimes after 2 minutes. Apparently the game is essentially never stable on Win7 so if you're using an old version of Windows be forewarned. There's a library of tips and tricks for how to 'solve' the crashes from across the internet, but no agreed-upon single solution. Also a few sidequests here and there that are reportedly problematic.

For those for whom the game does work there's a lot to like, I think. The way guns handle and fire feels solid and satisfying, looting is enjoyable and you gradually get a sense of what items are more likely to be found in what kind of locations, and the enemies and resulting fights are a lot of fun to deal with.
The game heavily emphasizes gear, as weapons come in a variety of types, but also quality levels, which affect basic stats as well as non-numerical aspects. For instance, a dilapidated scope will be cracked and dirty, while a high quality one will be polished and clear. Weapons are moddable with a variety of pickups like silencers, scopes, expanded mags, and so on. Loot is random, and also slightly weighted (so you'll find less ammo when you're carrying tons, but if you're running on empty you'll find a bit more) which speaks to the game's overall desire to keep things rolling. You start off with a crappy pistol that you come to lean on heavily, but once you get your first shotgun or rifle you'll taste real power, and the balance is such that weapons really feel significantly different in power and versatility. Handling matters here more than most games I've seen. Most guns also have multiple types of ammunition, which matters for more than most games I've seen. Shotguns for instance can have birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. Most guns will have a choice of soft/hollow and armor piercing rounds. The former does bonus damage to weak spots, the latter does higher damage overall, and the difference is actually very pronounced.
The enemies are very deadly. Even the very first enemy you encounter can kill you from full health in just two volleys or so, if it catches you out in the open. And the next strongest thing you fight is such a step up in power you will easily get blown over if you don't take proper precautions, like stronger weapons, flanking maneuvers, heavy cover, etc. All enemies have a few weak points, which vary between robots and may not be immediately obvious (some will), but the rest of them is heavily armored because they're made of metal. A well aimed shot is the difference between taking down a starter enemy in literally 2 shots vs easily 15-20. Weak spots count for a lot. Some enemies will have temporary weak points, such that once destroyed, won't take any further damage even if the enemy isn't dead yet. Most enemies have breakable parts - for instance you can shoot the gun off some enemies, which saves you the threat at range, but then they might switch to melee and be even more unpredictable. And especially for bigger enemies, the way you take them down determines the loot you get. For instance, blowing the fuel tank can be a quick way to destroy a bot, but if you leave it intact you have a chance to salvage it as an explosive for use in later fights. Leaving a gun undamaged means a better chance at salvaging more ammo. That kind of thing.
Enemy AI isn't perfect (they are robots after all) but I'm frequently surprised by how often a pack of foes will catch me with a surprise flank, and more than once I've been pinned down by a heavy unit not eager to reveal its weak points. Flanking them, however, or using combat items (which are consumeable but frequently found) can turn the tide in your favor.

All these systems naturally flow together to make for a very strong feeling of guerrilla warfare. You have to pick your shots, you have to hit and run, you have to divide and conquer, you have to strike unexpected. Maybe more than any other game I've ever played, the game emphasizes how important first strikes and careful tactics are, all as a natural consequence of how things like weak points, enemy lethality, and gear considerations work. It doesn't force you to play a certain way by making you restart a sequence if you're spotted, but being stealthy, careful, picking your shots, and maybe setting some traps is the difference between a clean ambush you can handle in a few shots, and a protracted firefight that'll cost you tons of first aid packs and ammo. And when that ambush goes right, goddamn do you feel good.

Lastly, the game is absolutely enormous. I'm about 10-12 hours in and I've not started to get bored, but I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. You'll almost definitely run out of interest before you run out of content.

The biggest caveat I'll put here is that it's a game you almost need to play multiplayer. I know "it's fun with friends!" is a lame defense, but because of the game's emphasis on ambushes, having at least two players opens things up a lot for tactics like multi-pronged attacks, human bait/diversions, flanking, etc. This is a game where "cover me!" and "lay down some distracting fire, I'm going around" are tactics I've only ever really used against computer opponents to show off, but in this game they're make or break. And I don't have many better digital war stories than the time I staked out an old farmhouse with two others as robots bore down on the place, charging through the kitchen among the flying glass from the exploding window, as I made for the back door in the hopes of breaking to the barn and getting a sniper's position to cover my besieged friends. This is really a game where we want to talk about every fight after it's over, just recounting the cool poo poo we all did. You could make it work in singleplayer but I doubt it'd have the staying power.

Oh, and that's not even to mention all the updates the developers have been pushing out since release. They've added vehicles (mostly bikes), new weapons and areas, new threats, and even a Shadow of Mordor-inspired "rival" system against special, generated robots that'll hunt you down specifically. The patches have been frequent, too, so performance and crashes are getting significantly better. A long-standing (since release) multiplayer loot bug was patched up just last time I played. Probably why the trend in Steam reviews has gotten more and more positive over time, as more of these performance problems are finally fixed.

So bottom line: If the core gameplay isn't enough for you, it's liable to get repetitive over time since there's not a whole lot else to the sandbox, and if it doesn't work right on your machine you'll probably only get frustration. But if it does work, you can get into the flow, and especially if you've got a friend or two to bring along, there's a whole island's worth of some really fun guerrilla combat against cool robots with scrounged-up weaponry, salvaged gear, and tactics that feel like they matter. Works as advertised, if it works.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TorakFade posted:

Congrats, with that house and kit you're at the point where you "solved" survival and the only threat will be boredom / big predators / Njerpez. Be advised - winter is SUPER boring, days are short, nights are incredibly dark and with waist-high snow getting anywhere is a pain.
It's been a couple years since I played, but I avoid making cabins now because at that point I feel like the game is won and there's nothing to really struggle for. And also because grinding the treecutting is tedious.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If anyone was looking into rainforest survival game Green Hell, they recently released a long awaited co-op multiplayer mode.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
While things are still stable, let me mention that Green Hell also just got a multiplayer co-op option for the Story mode, as well as the freeplay mode. If anyone likes wilderness survival and rainforests, or if you enjoyed The Forest, you'll probably like this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, sounds interesting! Although out of curiosity, what's this about creepy tribes? Are they basically the Njerpez cannibals from URW, or something worse/weirder?
They're pretty standard warriors in spooky body paint. The lore explains their origins but there's nothing Forest levels in there, thankfully.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Power Walrus posted:

I just started playing Astroneer, and is pretty fun. I’m setting up a nice little operation on Planet Newbie, complete with a cute little tractor-trailer for picking up my research buddies. One thing I cannot figure out, how do I build a small shuttle??? I’ve scoured the research tree, no sign of it there, and my large printer only has the option of printing a shelter. I think I like this game, but I’ve hit a wall where I need resources that I guess are off-planet.
It should definitely be unlockable (1,500 bytes) and printed from the large printer. They reorganized the craft/unlock menus, maybe it's just easy to miss?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

esquilax posted:

It's a very promising game - they have some work to do but it's a really good entry in the genre.
That's my takeaway, too. Content light right now, but so much balance/bugfixing needs to be done.
Built a walled off base and ants just clipped through it. I'd seen an and walking around outside, turn my back for two seconds, and when i looked back she was just inside the walls. Everything clips.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played RUST once and it took like 15 minutes to load into the world. To this day I don't know if I'm a hardware anomaly or if the game was really just that badly optimized.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Definitely echoing the recommendation, but I was hooked enough that after beating Story mode I immediately went into free play and continued on from there because I wasn't done yet. After a few tries I think I actually like setting nutrition needs to high, because it makes you really focusing on keeping food stocked, and otherwise you never really need to use food preservation options or even go out of your way much. In free play that harsher balance is fine, because survival is your main focus, but in Story mode I could see that being obnoxious because you're trying to progress but you might get sidetracked searching for protein. Still, fun game overall. Not infinite replayable, again mostly because of the map, but great while it lasts. Honestly my biggest issue is that there's not a ton of areas on the map suitable to larger building projects. Multi-object building was only added later in development and I don't think the map was designed with it in mind.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BrianRx posted:

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed when I tried to make a two story structure but could not find any way to make flooring for the second level. I think there's even a ladder in the blueprints but no real use case for it. Since you played (or had knowledge) of the game in EA can you tell me if the mining element is vestigial? I kept expecting it to be relevant to the story, but never found tools or blueprints related to it, save for the forge.
I think recipes unlock as you work on metal stuff. Use a crude stone pick to mine some ore from seams in a cave wall, they're not terribly uncommon. You can use the ore + molds to cast metal in a mud brick forge to create metal tool/arrowheads, and put those on tools as you would with stone. They outclass stone by a huge margin in both effectiveness and durability but while they're not vestigial I would say you can get through your whole game without 'em. Equivalent of like, Minecraft diamond tools, except nothing explicitly needs them.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 30, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Played it about a month ago myself, though only very briefly. It had a pretty polished feel to it in terms of UI, graphics, controls, etc. However the content was incredibly barebones and there was very little to go on. Also major important elements weren't working as intended. Like how one of the fundamentals of setting up is to build a perimeter wall to keep bugs out, but they could just walk right through the walls in most cases. Because apparently walls lost their collision boxes when you weren't looking at them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gooch181 posted:

Heck yeah. Gonna gently caress poo poo up when multi-player makes it back in.
Dayz had a patch yesterday that makes food spoil and temperature matter a lot more. Been having a lot of fun with it.
I can't believe DayZ is still a thing, let alone a thing that's still getting patches, drat.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

PiCroft posted:

Seconding Zomboid, I spent a long time actively avoiding it as it seemed like "just another zombie survival game" and stuck with CDDA but I just started the IWBUMS branch and it's actually really cool.

I'm looking forward to when NPCs and hunting make an appearance, but something I'd love is (and this from a game that has referenced CDDA) vehicle mods, so I can build my Mad Max roadster. I'm super glad I finally bit the bullet and gave it a go.
I'm in the same boat: played and enjoyed CDDA for years and passed on Zomboid for seeming to be largely the same thing with less depth/variety and fewer systems. I'm not gonna ask for a whole essay or anything, but in short, how do they compare, do you think? What's Zomboid's strength over CDDA?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TorakFade posted:

the forest and green hell both looked fine until it got to the mutant/natives part (also Green Hell has huge spiders which is something I'm very much not into)
You can turn off other people in Green Hell and it's pretty decent for its survival. Also the "giant" spiders are just like, tarantulas, not Skyrim style giant spiders.
Long Dark is definitely a good option, as has been mentioned, and it's come a long way. It does feel sparse but that's kind of the point, and it's definitely not as empty as it once was.

dogstile posted:

How did you find all of these caves without building a couple of things to cook/sleep? Did you seriously do all of that without a guide?
The islands pretty big, it took me hours to find some of the caves.
The very first time I played I wandered into the woods, spotted a village, took a broad circle around it because I was scared to go in, then found a cave and explored inside and almost immediately got what's apparently the best axe in the game. Pretty sure it was the first day.
I felt like I'd just cut in line.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TorakFade posted:

Anyway, I think I have the Long Dark ! I played it a looong time ago but it was really barren, even more than I'd expect it to be even given the game's premise; it was incredibly hard to find anything worthwhile and you'd just get eaten by wolves or die of exposure 3 days in because in all the 4 villages/trailer parks/etc you could reasonably visit within those 3 days, there was exactly 1 item of clothing - a pair of old socks - and 1 energy bar. It was cool but clearly in need of a lot of polishing, maybe it's there yet :)
That was almost my exact experience. I played years ago and it felt really aimless and empty and overly punitive, and I remember not even being able to keep a fire going long enough to sleep so I froze to death indoors. Maybe I've just got more patience now but it really feels like they've tuned it up very well since then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn’t Grounded have an Arachnaphobia slider that slowly turns spiders in just kinda cartoony blobs?
It's the weirdest implementation of an arachnaphobia mode I've ever seen because the placeholder/cartoony models are incredibly unnerving in their own way. They look completely unnatural and uncanny.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nyaa posted:

If it helps, some zombie survival game have options/mods to turn off zombie. For example, 7 Days to Die, and CDDA.
CDDA without zombies always struck me as a really interesting possibility for a game but I have no idea how you'd balance it to still have some kind of a challenge or hook. I really love the idea of being like, the last survivor of a sudden apocalypse, walking down an empty street and looting empty houses and making primitive shelters in a modern car garage or whatever. But I can't think of how it would balance out. CDDA really strikes me as a game that could do some really fun "alternate" modes of play, because despite its complications and overly demanding UI I think there's a good baseline there for rehauled experiences. The problem is just, again, I can't really figure out enough of the details to make it work in practice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah but I don't want bandits or traders either.
Last man on earth, baby. :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My #1 problem with Valheim is that progression is bottlenecked too many times. There's a lot of speedbumps along the way and there's very little else to do while you're working on getting x amount of the one single item you need. Early on it's deer hides, then soon after it's surtling cores, then later ore. A lot of the early game is just hoping you run into a given animal. Later, I had a hell of a time with the cores, since you need 5 minimum (ideally 10) to move on, but the only way to get more is to just run around and hope you find a dungeon and then hope it has cores in it. The first one I found had 2, the next had 0, and finally the third one which took forever to find had 12. Then ore isn't too difficult, but it sure feels tedious.
Progression needs to be smoothed out a bit, for sure.

My other complaint is that the distances in the game get really huge really fast and repeatedly sprinting, walking until your stamina is back, and sprinting again for several minutes straight just to get somewhere got old a long time ago. Portals are fun but pricy and take some time to unlock, and just having a normal way to travel more quickly would be a nice touch. Like if you haven't been in combat for 20 seconds you get a speed or stamina boost or something.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Can you hire NPCs to man all those big towns and castles I see in the Valheim trailers? One thing I dislike the most in this genre of games is building a big structure just for it to be empty and lifeless so I always make tiny utilitarian shacks.
It's just you and anyone you're playing with. That said, crafting stations can be large, and upgrading them means building other structures in the vicinity (e.g. an anvil near a smith, a leatherworking area near a workbench), so you actually will need quite a bit of space to work with. Also chests are frustratingly low in capacity so you'll need somewhere to build a lot of those, too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Early mining is so drat tedious. You need an absolute cartload of ores to get the things you need. I'm not threatened by the enemies but they sure are a nuisance, ores are heavy, and actually mining is quite slow.
Maybe balance will be tweaked during EA.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i like vanheim but it's currently weirdly balanced; whoever posted about spending most combat time walking around regenning stamina was correct
Similarly most of the non-combat time is spent walking

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
When I played Conan, it just felt like ARK but without the dinosaurs. Right down to the weird "engram" recipe learning*. I didn't play a ton but it seemed to have almost the exact same loop, interface, and moment to moment gameplay, just lacking the main thing that made ARK so interesting. Maybe I was missing something?

*I hate this feature so much and last time I played ARK you couldn't even turn it off in solo/local servers. Like I sorta get it, it's made to make people branch out and fill different roles in a group server, but all it ever really does is make people take no decorative/aesthetic recipes so all the buildings look like blocky trash. Why would you limit the recipes your players can learn, this is so dumb.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What makes someone choose Conan over Ark? They feel like very similar games in how they play, but one has dinosaurs you can ride.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The base building problem would be easily solved if you had a town portal or similar system to warp to and from your base at any (reasonable) point. Or just build it in some magic pocket dimension.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GlyphGryph posted:

Now I'm picturing someone literally carrying their base around in their pocket and throwing it whenever it's time to take a nap, like is common in many fantasy settings.
I would be pretty on board with a game that could do that in a fun way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Forced, high consequence PVP is something I'll cry about in every genre. I wish Ark could have been a more focused, singleplayer or co-op exclusive experience. But I also find myself wishing for that in non-survival games, like Escape from Tarkov. I'm just not competitive enough to keep up. I guess it doesn't matter anyway because in both communities PvP seems to be the only reason to play for a majority of players. I've seen so much Ark talk about private or personal servers to the tune of "why would you ever play this except to raid other people?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Tarkov bums me out for this reason. It seems like a game I would normally love but kept getting blown away every time I'd play so I just never brought any gear with me which defeated the whole purpose of the game. I liked doing scav runs because it was pretty low stakes. I might revisit it at some point if I'm ever able to get a new video card, it also kinda ran like crap last time I tried it which didn't help.
That was about my experience. I went "rat" pretty often and made out well with some scav runs, largely because they occur later into the raid when lots of people have already left or died, but otherwise it was a disaster.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Tarkov PvE in which you coop build a base with your buddies would be fantastic, and I don't understand why they don't do it.
Would be really cool and also super easy to crank up the survival aspects of. I would kill someone for a 7 Days to Die style game but with Tarkov looting and shooting mechanics, maybe a bit more functional base building. But honestly even if they put out an official offline or cooperative mode of exactly what it is now, that would be enough to keep me sated. I had similar experiences of just losing 90% of fights, but it was to everyone, not just sweaty players. Turns out I'm bad!
PVP heavy games like Tarkov, especially with the looting and gear loss mechanics, really mean your best highs are almost always someone else's lows. And if you're bad, you're the one taking the lows.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
SP-Tarkov looks more my speed but I have a friend who's sunk a lot of hours into it and he says there's a few small but vital discrepancies that hold it back, like how loot and item spawns are varying degrees of wrong and weird, which I guess is because they based it on Tarkov's "practice" mode? Lots of things that add up to problems with progression and looting, which are some of the biggest factors.

Anyway all BSG would have to do is make you have separate characters for PVP and PVE. No moving a character or items from one to the other. Two discrete ecosystems would fix basically all the problems, and I know there's people out there who'd be all in on the game if it was PVE instead of hardcore PVP. This is such an easy move, it could be done with existing architecture (as the existence of a mod enabling it proves!) and thousands of people who are turned off by the game as it is now would suddenly jump at the chance to buy it. Seems like a no-brainer, but they really are a company all about their specific vision of what the game is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Breathedge has a very, very specific and hard to describe Russian/Eastern European indie jank that's hard to shake. If you're familiar with it, you'll recognize it here. It's a little difficult for me to get over, especially with all the toilet humor, and it always feels like there's mechanics that were more ambitious than the game allows.