Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Card Survival Stats

Generally, stats only show up in the bottom left if they're far enough from the norm. If they're close enough to ideal, they'll disappear from the list.
If you click on your character's portrait, it brings up a menu with 'equipment, wounds, and character along the top. Click on the miniature character portrait and it'll list your background. The button with three dots and three lines will bring you to your FULL stat page(s). Any one of these you can pin to the bottom left menu or click for further information, like what other things it is affected and what is causing it to go up/down, as well as even more help through the ?.

You can pin any stat into the tracking area, but you probably don't need to know how sick of bananas you are at all times. If the stat is already in the tracking area, you can click on it and then pin that so it doesn't disappear on you when the stat isn't a concern any more.

If the stat icon isn't in the bottom left it probably isn't worth worrying about right now. It's probably some trivial amount of fatigue or the fact that you're starting to hate coconuts but you're not tired of them yet. Once it is actually impacting something or close to that point, then it'll populate in the stat screen and you'll know to change your diet or take a 15 minute nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok you jerks got me to get Card Survival (And are wearing down my resistance to Forest 2 as well though it does sound better to wait).

Any good beginner tips for Card Survival? Pitfalls to avoid?

So the Islander start is almost too easy. It is a good way to get a handle on the layout of the island and buildings though. If you’re going that route there are a lot of pitfalls you’ve already avoided. If you went with a more neutral character, it’s a bit more fun and rewards you with an interesting but mostly unnecessary perk system that is still probably better balanced than the islander. The islander does have a unique set of objectives, however, so may still be worth a run.

Biggest tip: exploring to 100% is for landmarks, new areas. You can still explore past that for more plants, resources, etc.
As others have said, you can also often directly work locations for a resource as well. Saves some hassle searching if you’ve already 100% an area.
you can roast coconut to lessen the poop problem
Some storage items can be worn. They burden less this way. The islander starts with a few, with things already inside.
The help system is actually pretty helpful, despite having some gaps.
Washing your hands or diving in one of the safer locations can make you wet. During the first few days, this is a great way to reduce your rate of dehydration from the heat and thus decrease your coconut consumption and thus prevent you from pooping out all your water. The poop spiral is a real problem before you diversify your diet. The poop spiral is real.

You’ll unlock new crafting by pre-requisite items and skill levels. You can even research while sleeping.

I’m sure there are a few other things that escape me atm.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

The biggest thing I need to do is figure out how to farm chilies, since half the recipes you can make require them. Right now it seems like a total loss because each plant gives you two, which if you plant one and then have to make pesticide with the other then you basically just get what you put in back, minus water. You can fertilize them heavily to make them grow faster than the mites gather but again that's a lot of effort for one additional unit.

From the wiki:

When growing Chili Plants, they have their own “anti-mite defense” thus no need to worry about putting said pesticide on them during Dry Seasons, but one should be worried if they plant them in the Jungle or Wetlands especially if it's rainy season as fungal infestations might do their job instead.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

It’s still going to be an awful struggle, but I’ve had some luck with banana tree stumps and using a jar instead of a bowl. There are some more long-term solutions for water, but it’s probably too late for them now.

Sadly, I don’t focus on agriculture, so I lack real experience on efficient chili farming.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Green Hell - infectious worm holes that it’s impossible for me to get it cured in time to avoid dying

I can’t decide if this sounds fantastic.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

h 7 Days is that the Horde Night/Blood Moon mechanic is completely optional

You might be responsible for me entirely reconsidering my position on 7DtD with this post. I’ll consider it next sale/itchy wallet.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

7DTD also happens to be on gamepass right now, so I don't have to 'wait on sale' to find out.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

The 7DTD on console is running A15 and is old as gently caress. They're planning on updating the console version to A21 but it will be a paid DLC. No idea if the gamepass version will be updated to A21 when that happens.

on PC and gamepass is 20.7

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Inadequately posted:

Picked up Card Survival for iOS now that I can play it on my tablet. Enjoying it, but it is a bit overwhelming. What’s a good plan for a Hunter start, and any notable early-game traps to avoid?

For the very early game, I'd focus on spear fishing as your primary source of food. Vegetables become more useful once you get cooking and can work with clay. Bananas can help in a pinch, but it is very easy to get tired of them if you eat them too often. Beware coconut water, milk, and meat - too much can easily lead you into a :nexus: -dehydration spiral, so bust a nut once or twice a day at most and toast the meat. Charcoal can help with the runs, but also washing in the sea regularly can help reduce your hydration needs and reduce how often you need to drink from coconuts. After you improve your spear-fishing a little, find the stones for a campfire, and collect rain in coconut halves you'll have a lot less trouble staying regular and hydrated even if you don't swim in the sea.

In the early game, the most useful locations are the bay and the jungle, but by the time the rainy season starts you'll want to think about the rocky beach and wetlands. The rocky beach will get you ready access to flint and a backup shelter if things go wrong. The wetlands will give you access to clay and several different sources of unsafe drinking water. For various reasons you'll want to exploit this area before and during the dry season.

Remember that exploring to 100% reveals all points of interest, but exploring further can still reveal new resources, and the location card itself can often be worked if you need something like wood. Clicking on your stats can be especially helpful to see a breakdown of what it is affecting and affected by.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, maybe they've changed it but when I played the main limiting factor was inventory space

Your tier 3 storage has a whopping eight slots.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Oh yeah, the youtubers audible disappointment - this was phase twenty-six of research. Even with all the grinding happening off-screen and the guy enjoying himself, watching all that effort ground down at my soul. Even the research system seemed fiddly enough. It's not just dicking about with dozens of containers for -building- things, but for the research as well. And many of those research components had to be processed at a variety of workstations first. And then knowing that the player would run out of material components and go right back to scavenging without any seeming gameplay variety (he didn't like the arena), I just died inside - watching it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I had forgotten research was a linear path and not a branching tech tree you choose your path through. Just a completely straight line. Seems bad.

You could almost say it’s on rails.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

SCUM was interesting in theory but just too overwhelming in detail. Highlight of my experience was drinking too much wine, having to go to the bathroom then getting ambushed by a zombie while sitting on the toilet :gonk:

So you're the guy who died in the toilet stall in every horror game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Truga posted:

rockets just be shells that you then have to equip with your own guts and it's gonna own lmao

Thankfully this is not survival horror. I took that a little too literally at first glance and was briefly confused.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Voitrain sounded really interesting but people here are complaining which makes me wary. I actually found grabbing things with the hook really relaxing.

The determining factor for me was watching someone do research in the game. It was at that moment I thought to myself: no.
Harvesting resources by hand. Okay, we’ve all been there. Tiny storage chests? This is looking a bit annoying but surely he’ll unlock larger chests soon. You unlock them when? You have to research everything before then first? They add how many slots? And then they added researchable decorations and I saw hell. Imagine handcrafting all the components that go into Factorio science, one step at a time manually. You only have to make one set, but that only unlocks the tech, you have to dive back in grab and process components to make more. There’s no automation besides putting in more fuel/parts so your benches work longer. It was just a ton of tiny tasks, and you never got to look at the big picture.

The streamer was enjoying it, but that grind I saw was after offstream grind. If you watch a video with a dedicated late-game research episode and you don’t mind, then more power to you. It wasn’t helped by early access meaning a lot of new recipes were dumped instead of spread out naturally. It’s issues, if they’re your issues, aren’t really hidden once you see play further up the tree.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I almost bought Intergalactic Fishing during the sale, but then I decided it was maybe too chill.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I finally bought the game and played it past the refund period

Which game?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Trump survival simulation.

Standpoint of water slider in the options menu ranges from wet to wettest
Theme: hurricane survival and golf

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I was watching a stream, and it was definitely much better than that- but I still have some concerns. Not seen enough to share the specifics, but they’re there.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Jawnycat posted:

Speaking of building mechanics, I recently decided to finally try out Pissgame (Urge) and good god why does it have such a permissive building system (I wouldn't call it good yet, it's extremely finicky and took a bit to grok), in a way I've not actually seen done much before in the genre either.

But it is also one of the most... mildly disconcerting? games I've ever played, honestly. A friend put it as "They somehow managed to make a world of wooden buildings and carpet and cars all give off the same vibe as yellowed plastic from 1980s computers".

I saw “underground building”, and now my dreams will be haunted by “Urge of Moria” a very haunting mix of orcs, goblins, and drunken dwarves pissing out their alcohol. And I can only assume that different types of booze will produce different types of urine. And the purple shadow will be a very different color. Some could be turned into biofuel, other into flame traps and this way lies madness.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiQPk9hxdE

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i played a bit of the demo when it was available and thought it was kinda neat, but i wonder if anyone has any thoughts on wildmender who has actually bought and delved into it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1599330/Wildmender/

it's a pretty interesting little concept overall and i enjoyed the environment it set up. seems to overall have a few problems here and there if reviews are anything to go off of, but like, when is that ever not the case with this sort of genre.

From what I’ve played of it I enjoy it, but I have this utterly insane habit of restarting shortly after clearing the first area to start from the beginning again. This is definitely a me thing, not on the game, but I’ve done it a half dozen times so far. Most games that trigger this bad habit I only do this once and after I’ve figured out the base mechanics but… I think it’s the gardening and wanting to try new layouts while not being able to move fully grown trees. It would be a lot more rational to just chop drown the tree and grow a new one, but apparently I’m happy enough just dicking around I regret nothing.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is the expectation that you can go into missions to harvest resources to bring back to the open world, or are they separate games that you can use the same character and skill tree on?

I’m not too familiar on the details re: interconnectivity, but the expectation but not reality is that the open world experience can be fully self-contained. Last I recall they had partially integrated missions into the open world but there was some sort of more advanced mission that was not yet implemented in the open world.

Year old info here: there were some unlocks only available through the mission structure, ren and exotics. The last video I recall watching (a month or two ago) left off after the player realized they couldn’t access somethings in just the open world and they were waiting for the next update. They achieved quite a lot of episodes in just the open world before they realized that everything wasn’t available in a single mode, so it doesn’t strike me as particularly blatant up until they tried to mine for exotics, and they were well into the third/fourth tech tree iirc.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I don’t know much, but here’s some third-hand info, take it with a grain of :salt:, it’s not my words

Your inventory is tied to the world but all leveling progress is immediate and permanent.

My confused words:

You can bring some stuff with you from orbit via the drop ship but you’ll want to be very careful/untrusting of station/dropship/workshop inventory until you’re clear how it works (I haven’t seen video) but what you leave in proper open world storage is probably safe, but mission storage is probably wiped.

Someone else’s direct words:
In this case all workshop items will be delivered to orbit, all crafted items will be deleted in landing module storage and on characters inventory, so leave all crafted items at storage in your base in open world and leave via landing module, you will be fine

Me:
So, if I recall the one single instance of this I did see, if it’s in the dropship storage it’s fine, but your personal carried inventory and hotbar are completely wiped.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks to cyber Monday I recently got a hardware (full pc) upgrade from the seven year old 1060 to the modern era. What survival game should I play first on this machine? Criteria: eye candy first, gameplay second. I have a bunch I’ve picking up over the years and running on lower settings, but I should at least see my system at its best before revisiting games like Raft, Subnautica, or Valheim.

My first couple of thoughts are Starsand (bought, unplayed), Grounded (Gamepass), Icarus (unbought, just missed the sale, interested but not convinced I shouldn’t just play something I already own). If I spend my money on a new game the gameplay becomes just as important as graphics in this particular case.

Any suggestions?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

explosivo posted:

Free weekend for Icarus, looking forward to giving this one a try finally!

:lol:, perfect timing. Still going to try out a second game tho, maybe even a third since I have Grounded available. Don’t own Medieval Dynasty but it’ll go on the wishlist.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I’m unable to run, update, or reinstall gamepass on this new machine, and only the Xbox app on this new pc.

I tried out Icarus and built my thatch hut although a storm hit halfway through. It should look nice once the storm passes. Got some real nice mountains to look at.

I somehow got the achievement for completing the tutorial without a single minute of gameplay or getting past character creation so I’m a bit lost at the moment. But not horribly so, I managed to get up half a hut even if I confused ramps/stairs with roofing.

… not everything is worth looking at with my fancy new graphics.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Played some Icarus and I'm sure it's been mentioned before but why am I having to make my own oxygen in the Pacific Northwest?

The flavor text for the game says the environment has turned toxic, though it doesn't seem to be hindering the genetically modified earth wildlife. It'd make a lot more sense in the less hospitable areas and especially the expansion planets.

You can just stick the oxite in a slot in your suit and it'll keep you topped off slowly and automatically, or right-click to consume it immediately. Do they do a good job of telling you this? Or give you time to poke around the screen for tooltips before a storm hits? No. But the information is sort of there. So there's no reason to actually run out of oxygen and bail in the starting area.

When I select my character, I've got the option of Survival, Missions, and Outposts, which one are you selecting? They've got different methods of selecting missions. In Missions, there's twelve different options I can pick right off the bat. I don't have enough time to say how different/repetitive they are yet though. The first forest recon mission was enough to get me to level four/five, at which point I have enough tech points I feel like I could attempt an actual mission or one of the other two game modes. Can't speak to mission availability in those modes yet.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I don’t think I mind the third meter, but I haven’t figured out: why?

Whatever other issues games like Subnautica, Breathedge, and Raft have, the need for oxygen requires different behavior from food and water. I don’t think the game would be better tethering you to an oxygen supply, but I can’t see what it adds unless some of the later maps do have a scarcity of oxite.

I can imagine mission maps where oxite scarcity adds a secondary pressure to the main timeline. I could imagine scarcity also being a concern in open world snow or desert biome (haven’t been there yet) as being a non-renewable resource unlike food/water forces you to move on or thump resources nodes back to life. From what I’ve seen so far from early content it’s as vestigial as an appendix. I’m not ruling it becoming more impactful as the game goes on but the usual arc of survival has resources becoming more trivial as you go on.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Currently playing Obenseuer where I have so many needs including

Desperately trying to figure out how to craft a toilet before I poo poo myself or maybe I should just wait in a public area while it happens.

Make sure to update your poop map when you do and you will be ready to campaign for political office in some future Streets of Rogue/American politics expansion.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I want to like Icarus more, but ultimately I’d just rather play another game. I can overlook a number of flaws (and have done so before), but I just don’t enjoy the wildlife combat and the leveling system (solo). I’m going to try and punch through the first tech tier, but that may just exacerbate the problem. I’m fine with blueprint unlocks, I just would enjoy it much more if that was untethered from leveling up.

I think it might be a ‘sense’ of achievement. It doesn’t really reward finding new materials or setting a specific goal to unlock things, rather just ‘punching trees’ until your busy work meter tops off.

Outpost mode slows exp too much, but maybe I’ll enjoy open world or outpost once I have enough blueprints to settle in a bit and work towards the simple missions system those have. Right now I’m too busy getting repeatedly mauled by bears in the outpost map, so I need to grind out a few more levels and I don’t appreciate the level/blueprint cost of having to unlock each part of the armor set individually so bears with single-digit levels stop being a death sentence.

That also ties into the bedroll system. With just a basic stone knife and crap gear, that twenty fur for the basic ability to sleep through the night and set a respawn point is a repetitive hassle. With the right perk points and a level five crafted or workshop purchased knife and a decent bow it’ll be a lot less effort but before that it makes the mission structure a little more tedious than it needs to be- if I saw a sleeping bag in the workshop that’d be my first unlock.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Vasudus posted:

The easiest way to beat bears is to not fight them in the first place.

Level on hard in the open world and the levels will fly.

I’m surprised at quite how often bears spot me before I spot them. And realistically enough, some untrained space nerd doesn’t even come close to outrunning them.

Just feels bad spending five tech points on armor when the equivalent for weapons is wood->bone spears+bow and several arrow types.

I’ll try open world before the weekend ends. A lot of the one skull tier one mission mode involves you getting mauled by waves of bears or wolves so workshop credits are scarce.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I’m not moving Icarus to ‘buy’ just yet, but it’s a lot more enjoyable in open world mode, just dicking around building a house and doing nothing in particular but what you feel like.

For now I think I’ll keep watching it on YouTube, and if the expansion content looks good then it’ll stay on my wishlist. If it gets continues to get better and the whole bundle is $40 or less or the missions and simple missions of the base game get better, I might get it. I’m less disappointed but ~$50-~$100 is just too much- I’ve got other games for survival and other games for farm and chill. I’m not seeing a compelling reason for now.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Going from Icarus' free weekend to previously unplayed copy of Starsand: :lol:
Not my best idea, but an interesting contrast in odd decisions. Both base openworld Icarus at previous sale price and Starsand at it's current sale price are decent values but probably third tier in my survival backlog.

For instance, the world map. In Icarus, the world map autofills but you can't put more than one marker at the start. In Starsand, the map of the desert starts blank, and stays blank. You have to build structural markers to display your current location on it, and then place permanent markers because the storms will destroy the structural ones. Your location is never displayed on the map, just what you mark and the structural markers you built. As well, you have no compass. This game wants you to get lost in the dunes, climbing them, and casting your eyes over the horizon for any features.

Icarus has those ridiculous defense waves and the very cowardly/aggressive wildlife. Starsand has passive wildlife, reasonably aggressive wildlife, and those damned sandworms who are psychotically fixated on your location. Also, poison never wears off unless you take an antidote. It won't kill you, but combined with those sandworms it can make for a unpleasant surprise if you've wasted the fruit you need for an antidote and can't heal up enough to fend off those sandworms. The game wants its unpleasant surprises but you can manage them, if you can manage your tiny starting inventory first.

Switching to gamepass to try out Conan, Grounded, No Man's Sky - and if none of those strike my fancy, my second tier is games I've already played on Steam. Perhaps Subnautica with a large selection of mods, maybe a shader or graphics overhaul if I'm not overwhelmed by the variety of options I've already found. Maybe Valheim because I still haven't played it yet and I don't need bleeding edge graphics. Or one of a few other titles that I don't have anything to say about right now. That sense of shame I feel upon seeing Starbound in my steam inventory (perhaps I should hide that from the list).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone still playing Return to Moria? There's a 15% sale that brings it down to the price range where I'd consider it. In addition, epic is offering an additional 33% holiday coupon, bringing it down to a US $22.77

Worth my time? Statue blueprint bug fixed, sort button, auto deposit, auto collection added. Earthquakes to occasionally respawn resources while sleeping/loading. Seems like some of the rougher edges have been polished and it just comes down to: enjoyable enough to play through once for the moria experience?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Welp, while I was deciding whether to grab Return to Moria, it got a further sale discount. Plus coupon, I'm definitely picking it up at $13.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Return to Moria might be a case of an immediate mod if you're used to single-player, but not if you most commonly play this type of game in MP.

There is no pause. Let me repeat, there is no pause, even offline and hitting escape.

Fortunately, there is the BD Game Pause mod
Unfortunately, it may or may not be broken with the latest update. I had no luck getting it to interact, not sure if I installed it correctly since my directories don't match exactly with the directions or if it just isn't.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 16, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

What's a good survival to get started on the genre, prefer having multiplayer of any sort.

All the above suggestions are excellent but Astroneer and Grounded are available on Gamepass, if you happen to have that.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

For :lol:
TheGamer.com list of top “survival” games on game pass
There are a few titles on that list that belong in this thread, but my ironic favorites on this list: Plants Vs. Zombies, Dead Space, Amnesia, Darkest Dungeon, Vampire Survivors

For serious, if Grounded and Astroneers aren’t thematically fascinating I can make a few other suggestions (with a hint towards what would draw your interest), from endless winter to zombie apocalypse. They may not be on Game pass and may be a bit less introductory, but there may be something where the theme is enough to compensate for some rough edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Sharks have a voracious appetite for rafts, and can be fended off by wooden spears to little consequence. Their legal protection means little after the entire world has been flooded and there are incredible number of them with nothing better to eat than a wood and plastic foundation. This will be essential information in near future Florida.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 17, 2023