Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

One problem I just can't shake with The Long Dark is that because no loot respawns and everything degrades with use and over time, eventually you just run out of stuff. Apparently the quickest and least easily replaced is cloth items.
It's more a conceptual problem than a practical one, because I'll never play a single campaign anywhere near long enough to run into this, but just the lingering thought bugs me. I'm easily hung up on stuff like that, I guess. I always want to know that things could go infinitely in a survival game, or that you can strive towards some level of self-sufficiency.

In practice I mostly just spent a ton of time fishing.

I haven't played TLD but it would make sense if there are no gear respawns (who is restocking this stuff out there?) then items should not degrade at an unrealistic pace either. I have clothes nearly a decade old that could still be described as in "fair condition" I guess. Maybe only a very slight chance to tear a hole in your shirt or break your axe or something turning them to poor condition would make more sense? But to be fair to no respawns, it makes sense that my personal outdoors gear doesn't turn to rags just from walking around outside for a couple weeks or whatever.

Have it one way or the other I guess is what I am saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

I just save-scummed my way to get a wife and I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

Top tier gaming nerd thing lol. I'm not trying to be mean it's just hilarious.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, Raft had the fun of actually spending time building out your raft, does Void Train at some point let you actually have fun building stuff? Right now it's all been pre-determined upgrades doing pre-determined things, except oh I guess you can decide where to drop your boxes. I wanted to build a motherfucking train! If that's actually gonna happen at some point I feel like there would have been some sort of indication by now, so I'm guessing it's not (7 hours in!).

I haven't played or even looked at the game but maybe the truth is right in the name. Void Train, the game that is void of a train, as advertised. For our next project a baseball game called "zero machine guns" and it delivers, lol.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

so which dev are you then

I haven't played it, but from almost everything I have read in this thread, that post gave me a "blink twice if you are being held against your will" feeling. Good for them if they are enjoying it though I guess!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I think the difference is doing something mindless and repetitive to get to the point to unlock something or let you do whatever it is you want to do, versus doing something similar but to work towards something gratifying, not just to get something out of the way. The first one gives a sense of relief when it is over, and the second gives a feeling of accomplishment. I'm not defending either as the pinnacle of game play by any means, but I think I can see the separation you are getting at.

When it really feels like a grind is when there is either no other option, or it becomes apparent that such monotony is the most efficient way to achieve whatever the goal is, which can be even worse, as it typically means that something more engaging or entertaining is being pushed to the side, whether it is actually in the game or not.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I mean, yeah.

lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

zomboid is clearly really cool and I can see why people are super into it...

also the ui is painfully bad

Protocol7 posted:

To be fair I think the tutorial could probably stand to be expanded past "Hello! There are zombies. Here are the controls. Good luck!"

The controls are pretty janky and the UI isn't great and fairly unintuitive for some things but as a pretty new player, I've gotten somewhat more used to it. Other then this thread (primarily), watching some gameplay vids is what convinced me to pick it up but even after watching some "how to" intro vids after firing it up I still felt myself struggling sometimes. As mentioned, the tutorial is near useless, I still wasn't comfortable simply walking around after a couple times through it.

Regularly I feel like I'm doing exactly what I should be doing to get the results I want but instead of "run away from these zombies into this building and close the door on them" I get "go inside, try to close the door, come on close the door, no don't open the window, dammit, ah crap run I guess!" and while that could be blamed on panicking, but even some completely chill moments of "inspect the cupboard I'm highlighting" ends up with "open the drapes in the next room" more often then it should.

I'm really enjoying it though, definitely with some settings tweaked however.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

e; But really I think the best suited places would be like, small to mid sized towns in the American west. Big cities would be charnel houses, and solitude is so high-risk almost everyone trying it would die, but you take somewhere in like the Rockies and chances are it'll be big enough that you have enough people to form the needed militia, work brigades, etc., big enough that it has a wide variety of specialities to keep things running and/or put up replacements (Plumbers, electricians, etc.), but not so big that it gets overwhelmed by infected from within and distant enough from other population centers that you're not in imminent danger of their populations shambling your way. Depends on how much it relies on importing stuff of course, be it physical goods, food, power, what have you.

I haven't read it in well over a decade so I might be a bit off, but this sounds almost right out of the pages from The Stand. Smaller town in the Rockies, everyone doing their specialty to keep things somewhat serviceable, but not too big, etc.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

FFT posted:

LGIO just did a video on Planet Crafter

and the first thing he breaks? perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpRsEp-_04

lmao

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Phigs posted:

I literally felt a wave of dread just reading this.

:same:

Flesh Forge posted:

it's really weird because it's completely irrational, like my brain knows this is just a space/flight sim with blue/green volumetrics and the sounds are just ordinary things like, a guy rubbing a piece of wet leather on a piece of plywood or something, and it doesn't help *AT ALL*

I've never played subnautica but I can relate in general, and I thought about it. I believe at least for me I'm okay with a flight sim because I know what's below me, if I crash so be it I know what's coming, and there's not really anything above me other then more sky. I'm okay with a space sim because there is no such thing as "below me", there's no huge drop offs or falling, and there's also no concern of how far below the surface I am because that's not a thing either.

In deep water, especially with big drop offs to extremely deep water, it combines my fear of heights (which is more the fear of falling, especially being precariously on a ledge with a drop off and falling, I can get in an airplane just fine), with having an unknowable amount of unseeable frightening possibilities below me, along with the knowledge that every bit of that is that much further from the relative safety of the surface, which with obscured vision from the water you also may lose sight of.

It's like a horrible combination of fears of falling, being on a ledge, not being able to be aware of your surroundings while in danger, and progressively being further away from anything resembling safety wrapped up into a near unfathomably enormous package.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

i was very confused when stomping heads the other day when I was getting mild foot pain and the stomps took forever to work. Turns out my boots disintegrated from repeated stomps, but luckily there was plenty of replacement shoes in the corpse pile.

That is a helluva couple sentences without context

lmao

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Bhodi posted:

IMO the S-tier spot is That One Mansion On The River With The Three Car Garage in Louisville, but it can be a trek to get to and you need at least a sledgehammer to get the city gates open.

For safety any u-store-it is gonna be hard to beat but all spaces are going to need to be cleared/thinned multiple times.

There's a hole in the fence north just past the train station near the main entrance to Louisville you can sneak through without needing a sledgehammer:

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#12639x4186x975

Tweak posted:

edit: is there a tower somewhere on this map that has 7 levels or is that just the max height of the world or something

Theres the big radio relay tower, it's 7 stories and here:

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#10277x8745x2023

In no way do I claim to be good at zomboid, but I do like looking at maps, so, that's me helping, I guess.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

duffmensch posted:

You can break down most doors and gates with an axe - it just takes between 5-10 swings. You only really need a sledgehammer to destroy props that can't be disassembled or to break down a wall.

Huh neat, I might have even known that but forgotten because I haven't played in a while. However, I've never even tried any real construction beyond "board up some windows and put curtains up, dismantle and move some things around" because I've never made it far enough for it to matter. I've never even actually been to Louisville or that whole in the fence I was talking about in game. Like I said, I may not be very good at it, but I have fun and I like looking at maps and found a way into Louisville that didn't need any tools while browsing around once.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Travic posted:

Project Zomboid sounds really interesting, but it sounds like walking a tightrope. One wrong step and its game over. Is it like that or is it more forgiving?

The base PZ game without changing any settings, or even cranking them up, can be pretty unforgiving if you make a small mistake or get unlucky, but then again I only play a little bit every once in a while, so I never really take the time to "get good". However...

Travic posted:

Very cool. I'll probably try vanilla first then start adding mods as I go if the death mechanics are too much for me. Thanks.

You don't even have to do "mods" if you don't want to. As a person who hates tracking down a bunch of mods then managing them, or those so called "must have" mods, Zomboid is super customizable right out of the box by just fiddling with the settings right in the regular menus. You could set up anything from "the first time you open your door you get swarmed and die 3 seconds into the game impossible" to "there aren't even any zombies at all, and you just walk around a town full of more food and gear laying around than your character can use". I'm not saying there aren't good mods out there, I'm just saying that huge range of difficulty is possible with the base game.

For instance, as someone who doesn't play often enough to get very good, I decided I wanted to make a lower stress easy game so I could just explore a bit and feel relatively safe, because I like exploring. I turned off infection, turned off the fast and the tough zombies, turned down their starting numbers and respawn rates, cranked up supplies laying around, made the power and water say on longer, and gave my character some extra skill points to spend and a starter kit from the get-go. Honestly, I probably made it too easy, but since the goal was to make a game where "I walk around and explore while occasionally bashing a zombies head in now and then" it worked pretty well, and that's all with no mods.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah to be clear, I usually don't nerf Zomboid down as much as the game I recently made that I mentioned above. Those tense moments where things get a bit panicky are a blast, but I just wanted to cruise around and explore for a change, maybe scout some places out for future games without extra high threats being a super common thing. However, taking a wrong turn or having an alarm going off bringing in all the zombies around still can create those moments occasionally even with those settings, but it feels more manageable.

I think like piano chimp said above, and many others have said before, turning off infection is more common than not for most people, because that unlucky bite to the neck from behind that you didn't see coming while you were fighting off a few in front of you or a similar situation feels like too brutal of a random death sentence.

Even story wise it can make sense if that matters to you as you can imagine that the whole reason your character survived the outbreak is you are one of the "immune ones" from the infection, but in no way does that make you some sort of invincible superman. Droves of violent zombie attackers, looking for food and shelter, and plenty of other things are still a lot to deal with for survival in the apocalypse.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is a decent chance a bite or laceration to the neck will be a death sentence anyways if you're in a bad spot that makes bandaging awkward. :v:

Absolutely! There's so many things that could easily kill you anyhow, taking a mild scratch to your pinky finger or whatever and RNG decides your days are absolutely numbered is a disheartening enough of a thing, that after a few times of that I think most people who realize or learn that there's an option to turn off infection do so. I understand why it's not, but it almost feels like infection should be hardcore mode instead of default.

Saul Kain posted:

Apply tourniquet to neck.

lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Yeah, I get clothing or equipment degradation or maybe very rarely taking damage if you're sprinting through the woods, but I think most people would be able to navigate around trees without needing to go to the ER.

Lol yes, the phrasing there made me laugh. Though sprinting through the woods getting a scrape would make sense, but probably not like, fatal.

QuarkJets posted:

Pro tip: if you right click and select "Walk To" then your character automatically navigates around trees and shrubs instead of trying to puncture their neck

I often forget about this, but this is one of those dumb workarounds for a dumb thing (not your fault obviously, just saying). Also, if I remember right, while doing this there's the downside of you can walk into a zombie and it's like "too bad, you just keep walking"?

dogstile posted:

I just want the game to have a difference between a small cut and "holy poo poo i just impaled my neck on this tree" tbh. They want to have a decent wound system, expanding what they got would be a nice place to start.

Agreed!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't played the game (though I have a pretty good idea of what it's about from this thread), but I think I would become more than a little suspicious that it's not a cute fun-time ranching game about raising your capybaras to love and cuddle once I found out it's called "Green Hell" lol.

But from what I know about it, if everything else you have to do in that game, violence included, is a price you are willing to pay to have a happy capybara farm probably not, lol, who am I to judge?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

caleb posted:

Just started a new West Point run. Spawn house has the generator magazine, duffel bag and a leather jacket. :dance:

Did they change something?

E: And leather gloves holy smokes.

:nice:

QuarkJets posted:

You lucked out, congrats! My most recent run put me in a trailer with a can of dog food and no can opener

That's on the low end of luck, but seems much more typical, and funny in its own way, hah.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah, I definitely always have a bit of "what happened to lead up to how I got here" imaginary backstory going through my head in PZ based on your starting house. Even just going into random houses, many can have a bit of uniqueness as to how things went down to arrive at how they are now. Some of these seem pretty intentional, like the designers want you to put two and two together on the little mystery that played out in a location, and it's a bit of flavor that I really enjoy.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Trick with PZ is to kill the zombies before they kill you

User not playing as intended. "This is how you die", is right there in the loading screen. Bug report: "user error". Solution: "Resolved". Yes, I did do tech support for a major video game company long ago, why do you ask? lol

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't happen anymore because there's a PZ thread now :shrug:

I rather liked sorting through a few of the more popular games and reading some discussion, even if I skipped past some stuff I wasn't interested in. That's what convinced me to pick up Zomboid a good while ago. I'd rather skim then scroll past people complaining about finding ore in Vintage Story then watch the thread slow to a trickle and possibly die, but, it is what it is.

I just hope at least if anything new and interesting pops up, it gets posted here.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

the big flaw with this is sifting through hundreds of empty containers is super tedious.

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's the point yeah, half of the containers in games like Zomboid are just straight empty and 3/4 of the remainder have things like a single sock in them. I know that the "lore" reason usually is "well its After The Fall and all the houses have already been looted" but there is still running water and TV broadcasts in Zomboid at the start, so that is kind of a weird explanation.

Major Isoor posted:

...Wait, really? Huh, honestly I've never actually had that complaint - and neither has the friend I play with. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong about anything, but I dunno, to me it always seems like there was the right amount of stuff, in houses?

No complaints here, but it's about gameplay over realism. Using PZ as an example, If I were to walk up and down the street in a suddenly abandoned suburban neighborhood and almost every 3-4 bedroom house had a pair of jeans, two worn out t-shirts and a jacket, no socks, and no kitchen knives or tools, I would be really confused how all those families managed to live their lives sharing half of a set of clothes and no kitchen utensils and maybe 1 or two things in their junk drawer.

I guess you could explain it away like CuddleCryptid said and assume most places have already been looted, but most places don't appear to be ransacked, with locked doors and windows and the people who lived there still shambling about inside. You could instead assume most people packed up and grabbed what they could before they left too, but not everyone can take that much stuff with them, and there's still plenty of zeds around.

However, no matter the game, while more realistic it would be way more tedious to find a dozen separate pairs of socks, underwear, shirts, pants, etc. in each dresser and closet in every bedroom or 15 individual dead rats, bear pelts, cloth scraps, etc. in each treasure chest and corner in every cave. Rooms with no furniture or caves that are just walls aren't as visually appealing though, and non-interactable decorations are typically a good way to reduce item bloat. However, it just wouldn't work as well in a game like PZ or something similar where you could only open like 1 out of 10 cupboards and you would end up either mouse highlighting over everything to find what is interactable or constantly getting an annoying fake "you can't open that" message on everything you tried.

There's a balance in these types of games, and unless I feel super overloaded with item bloat, or super lacking for gatekeeping necessities because of bad design, I'm more than willing to write off some realism for some good gameplay.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixq-y_r-lkE

Funcom put out a "pre-alpha" trailer of the new Dune game. It might even contain something that resembles what gameplay will one day sort of look like!

Funcom is making Anarchy Online 2? Yes, I am joking, sort of.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's been ages, what made AO so worth reviving? I don't remember it being at all survival related so I don't see the Dune comparison here.

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet. I'm not saying anything about survival simulation, but the Dune trailer was posted in this thread, and the similarities seemed obvious to me. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

Klaaz posted:

gently caress my heart jumped for a sec, i would pre-order AO2 in a heartbeat

:same:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Deketh posted:

Alright cool, thanks to you all. Not what I was hoping for but I'll keep an eye on its development and see what mods are adding and lurk in the thread for a bit

I got a kick out of this post, about keeping an eye on the development of Project Zomboid, a game that has been "in development" for over a decade, lol.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

While not survival related, the "people raiding your base while you are offline or doing something else" chat reminded me of Anarchy Online from years ago. Getting a call from a friend at some ungodly hour or inconvenient time because your organization's base was getting attacked was simultaneously exciting and annoying. People would intentionally schedule raids at odd hours just to take advantage of that, and grudges were formed, and that sucked. On one hand there were "safe hours" where your base was invulnerable, but that could be negated by someone in your org accidentally attacking another base and all hell broke loose. Trying to do damage control politics was stupid. So was dropping everything to rush out to defend just to find it was some noob that didn't know what they were doing and a waste of time as well. The end result of it all usually was some sort of cold war stalemate situation where everyone left each other alone for fear of retaliation.

The things that were fun about it though was PvP was level bracketed, so there were "sweet spot" levels, where you could attack certain ranges of other players but be unattackable by others, so leaving PvP "twinks" logged out at your base and having a call to arms and wrecking some people that thought they were going to waltz in and destroy your towers was pretty enjoyable. Also, other than some mild almost negligible buffs, there wasn't much to be gained by having a base other than bragging rights and the opportunity to PvP, so losing a base wasn't really a big deal beyond the annoyance or piss off factor.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kanos posted:

a shotgun-wielding kool aid man

lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

the piss game

Some kid plays a Duke Nukem FPS, discovers Duke can piss and laughs their rear end off about it, gets really disappointed that Duke can only piss a few times, and makes it their life's work to develop a fully immersive FPiSS.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I mean thank you for bringing this to our attention, it's hilarious. I'm not going to play it and if someone enjoys it so be it, but I got a laugh. Reminds me of the weird video game articles that used to be on the front page.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Thankfully this is not survival horror. I took that a little too literally at first glance and was briefly confused.

:same: lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Krataar posted:

What are my options that are basically stardew but you’re on the frontier or home stead and gotta eat and survive so it’s kinda sweaty but chill

Oregon Trail

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Disclaimer: I know nothing about that other game other than I have read its name on these forums before.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Twenty Four posted:

Oregon Trail

Twenty Four posted:

Disclaimer: I know nothing about that other game other than I have read its name on these forums before.

HopperUK posted:

There is no farming and no chill. You are managing a wagon rolling west on the Oregon trail. You will die of dysentery and lose your cargo of grandfather clocks trying to ford a river. But you can name your family members 'pee pee' so who is to say what's good?

Oh, I know what Oregon Trail is, I just have no idea about Stardew Valley other than what I've read on these forums, but when I read:

Krataar posted:

What are my options that are basically stardew but you’re on the frontier or home stead and gotta eat and survive so it’s kinda sweaty but chill

Oregon Trail was my comedy answer, on the frontier, trying to make a homestead, gotta eat and survive, pretty chill, first thing that came to mind. It's not what anyone thinks of when "trying a new game" these days unless your brain defaults to making dumb jokes like me, lol.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Not technically a survival game but if you, like me, thought "Stalking and hunting deer in Icarus is pretty chill and fun" you may, also like me, unironically enjoy theHunter: Call of the Wild

VegasGoat posted:

I got theHunter free on epic at some point and yeah it’s pretty good and I assume somewhat realistic as far as hunting goes. Really difficult though, I had a hard time tracking the animals and actually being able to line up a shot before they detected me. Really hard to get that kill shot too. Video games have trained us wrong to always go for headshots. In theHunter it’s all about the lung shots.

I’d probably like something in between the super easy hunting in Icarus and the really difficult hunting in theHunter.

Qubee posted:

I've never gone hunting in real life, but I did briefly play theHunter and it was - at least in my opinion - a bit of a snoozefest. I imagine hunting in real life is a bit more enjoyable, since you're out in nature, enjoying the sights and sounds, immersing yourself in the environment. To try and do the same in a videogame doesn't have the same allure. But then again, I'm one of the weirdos who never found Euro Truck Simulator fun

I haven't played the game, but the most typical real deer/elk/etc. hunting experience would be spending a day/weekend/week (in real time, not video game time) in the middle of nowhere getting up before the sun comes up, freezing your rear end off all day either walking around or sitting in a blind, eating camp food, and never seeing an animal. Maybe you get one, maybe your buddy does, but going home empty handed is super common. That probably wouldn't make for a great game if most of the time you "lose". Even finding some tracks or scat (they don't glow on the ground like in the trailer, lol) or seeing an animal in the distance but out of range and trying to close in can be exciting though.

Oh, and of course there's pounding beers once the sun goes down until you go to bed. I doubt that's in the game, but it would be hilarious if it was, lol.

I mean that's not every time, ymmv and all, but that's pretty common. The game looks pretty cool though, and quite pretty at least in the trailer.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Jawnycat posted:

for some reason lockpicks sell absurdly well

I haven't played this one either, but it makes sense that lockpicks would be a high return on investment for the probable unsavory types that are buying them from you, so they would sell high.

an initial $X purchase for lockpicks = potential $XXXX in stuff they now have access to stealing, lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Just played Zomboid for the first time. Jesus this game is brutal.

Time to search for tips on YT.

Any "must-have" mods?

Even if you set things to super easy, yeah Project Zomboid can be brutal from some bad luck or a couple of mistakes. It does say "this is how you die" on the intro screen though, and that's almost always going to be the outcome, at least eventually.

However, take this with a grain of salt as I'm one of those people who use little to zero mods in most games, but I wouldn't say there are any "must have" mods in Zomboid.

The base game is already super customizable and with a short amount of time you can tune most things to your liking from the regular in-game menu system at a wide range of difficulties, and there's nothing 3rd party you need to "fix the game" to make it playable..

I do know from keeping up on the thread mentioned above, there's quite a few mods that are either just for fun flavor stuff, which definitely isn't "must have" but there's also a bunch of quality-of-life stuff that I probably wouldn't go back to playing without them if I tried them, like that "remember the books you read after you die" mod sounds good. I suppose you don't miss it as much if you haven't tried it and all that.

I'd say mess around for a bit, fiddle with some settings, then post in the Zomboid thread with questions https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1 where people are generally pretty helpful.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Really love how so many survival games make buildings out of tissue paper. Love the idea that a wolf could rip a log cabin's wall down, let alone in one bite, because it was a very strong wolf. Love these lovely buildings being so expensive you'd rather die yourself than get your structures destroyed so they don't even make good protection.

Agreed that this stuff in general can get ridiculous, and I'm okay with some unrealistic balance if it makes for a good time, but:

idiotsavant posted:

I mean, on the flip side chopping down enough trees to build a log cabin with a stone axe and shaping them to fit with an adze would take you months and months of insane physical effort but that wouldn’t be a very fun game, either

Just because one thing is not fun in a game doesn't justify something else also not being fun in a game but somewhat less in comparison.

I haven't even played Icarus (since that's what the above quotes were aimed at) and don't plan on it, but the best I have heard is "at least it's not as bad as it used to be".

However, my bigger point is that most people play games to have fun, some people like a challenge, but no one enjoys a sucker punch.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Even without mods PZ is super customizable in the regular menu settings, both for characters and world settings. Anything between "you're probably a gonner the first step you take outside" to "there aren't even any zombies in this zombie survival game and your character is basically superman" and much more is doable.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Crafting in general feels very clunky to me as well.

Quite a few options but a chore to navigate and use.

quoting this for almost every game ever lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

to be clear I haven't played the game in question, that statement just seemed like a near universal statement, thread title kind of thing if it were shorter