Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You can also reinforce foundation raft parts with metal to make them impossible to break by the shark. Pretty important to do to things you don't want to lose, but every part of your raft is a bit expensive to do of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

REDjackeT posted:

Pretty sure you only need to do the edges. Even the bits around an inboard anchor shouldn't need it.

e; unless something changed in the past few updates

While it has been a number of months now last time I played I'd absolutely seen the shark chomp on inner bits that aren't edge. Been a while of course, and it never hurts to do when you have the resources for it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Barotrauma is absolutely fantastic if you have at least a 5 person group, though around 8-9 is probably better for the bigger subs or just for maximum chaos. It has both a co-op campaign and the single rounds that can incorporate traitors. Very fun, great organic gameplay and gets genuinely difficult the deeper you go. You can of course play single player and the bots have gotten significantly better recently, but ultimately the game is way more fun with other people. For multiplayer there is both local and radio text/voice chat in game, but you can also just get a group going on discord.

Honestly the game has kept getting better and better with every major or minor update, and the devs have been great about squashing any significant bugs pretty quickly. We've also got a goon group playing on the weekends on one of the co-op goons discord servers if you wanted an easy group to join. We just started our most recent campaign and have a number of newbies along , and have Jovian Radiation turned off so we can take it easy.

Have some clips from the goon group's escapades.

https://streamable.com/umjytd

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/919363920978935808/Tio_realizes_something.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/937133393060184114/comic_relief.mp4

Also, there are clowns. Whether this a pro or con is up to you.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

we've had a few times where we couldn't even play every other week, and honestly that has probably helped prevent burnout along with all the lovely updates that happened in-between. A lot of our lovely custom subs also are able to be run by 4-5 people so it really ain't so bad, could even link them for those interested as they're pretty balanced.

That said, I'd still put Barotrauma in the category of really only play it if you have a group of people you can play with on the regular.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The next big biome update is coming and while I didn't get to play it when it very very first released on EA I'd say it's pretty solid. Perhaps slightly on the grindy side but that's really only if you want to do very specific things. They also just made it so farming isn't incredibly tedious later on which is very nice!

The current endgame involves being able to set up drills on various static ore sites to just passively accrue ores instead of having to go out and actively mine for it which is nice. Bit of a slow start going when you first try to set them up but it snowballs quickly. Overall I'd still say it's a somewhat grindy game, but no more so than say Valheim and other similar games.

IMO I think the game is probably more fun with friends, but is still satisfying singleplayer and kinda hits the same zen spot Minecraft does in the respects of just going out and exploring. Way smaller map of course.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Winklebottom posted:

How bad are the shark attacks and seagulls? I remember hearing that they are constant and very annoying, but I'm probably going off old info.

Tbh once you're past the early game seagulls and sharks are just free food sources unless you're doing some kind of vegan challenge run.

As mentioned you can enclose crops you actually care about to prevent seagulls from chomping them or attacking constantly, but you can also set up a small farming plot somewhere and just farm the seagulls themselves.

As for sharks, when your raft is big enough it doesn't even matter too much if they chomp a bit off so you can just ignore them. Going diving around islands is a different story obviously, but on large enough islands you can be far enough from the shark it won't aggro.

These opinions are from a few major updates back though, I had just made it to the first big island you find after making the radio transmitter so things may have changed

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Raft is a very zen experience when played solo imo. Just the waves, the wind, collecting materials, and building your raft as you explore. It helps having a bit more directed of a story now, I'll probably pick it up again with my usual co-op buddy who also likes chill survival stuff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

gonna second the rec for AA, with the addendum that his early stuff of zomboid is primarily long plays, with the more recent being challenge stuff that's a lot more cut down and includes more of his style of humor. Both are good, but if you have the time the long play stuff is probably better overall for learning.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Does the TV wall still work? Apparently zombies just wouldn't acknowledge them so you could just create a wall of entertainment systems and no zombie could cross it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have some words on Dysmantle, and they're mixed. I'll sit down and write up a proper post but suffice to say it's a solid concept that eventually gets a bit too... extreme in execution. It was still worth the money I spent on it, but the amount of resources you need to harvest vs the tools you acquire is pretty ridiculous after certain point. And uh, only try to 100% it if you're really, really into that sort of thing.

Not to mention the "true" ending can't be gotten without making it the entire game without dying once. That is a long, long time, and there are a plethora of dumb ways to die.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 17, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vib Rib posted:

I have words and they're all negative. I'm a lizard-brain level player who loves hoarding resources and seeing meters tick up and Dysmantle somehow failed to engage even me. I played too long to refund it and now it's on my Steam account like dead weight. 90% of the game is just going to be you standing against an object holding the button down to keep whacking at it and slowly collecting resources you need stupid amounts of. Somehow this is intensely unsatisfying, even to someone who enjoys resource gathering in most games. I can't fully explain it but just punching fences and chairs and barrels for hours on end is not a good gameplay loop.

More importantly the whole thing feels like a really, really tepid action RPG in execution, but then padded to hell with a really terrible resource gathering system. There is no actual survival element to this game.
You mostly go around fighting badly coded zombies and holding X or LMB against whatever resource-shaped object is nearby. There wasn't even any base building when I played (post-early access), but apparently there is now? Though looking at the update info for it, it appears "base building" is pretty much just laying down machines that turn one resource into another resources so you have to slam out a dozen or so and sit around and wait while they slowly spit out processed metal or whatever else.

I have my lizard brain game moments too and Dysmantle hit it for me a bit. There's a semblance of a good game in there and a really interesting world (though the plot is arguably very... :jerkbag: ) but overall I can agree with the issues you've mentioned in the post. I certainly wouldn't 100% it, but man some of the stuff to even get to the end game was just a tad too grindy.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having only found one of the early shotguns they honestly feel kinda not good in SoD2. I killed a plague heart from full with only a mag with an assault rifle using 7.62 ammo. Tried another with a shotgun and it took uh, almost 50 shotgun ammo? Plus whatever explosives I threw at it which probably was the reason it finally died.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The assault rifle was my... 3rd heart I think? Maybe 4th, the shotgun was maybe 5 or 6. Good to know the health pools go up, it makes sense at least.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Some of the QoL is actually pretty nice tbh, having been playing with a friend and solo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

so basically Raft but gritty and realistic. I can dig it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I fuckin' love Raft, but I'll be the first to admit unless you're playing Hardcore it's less of a survival game and more of a fun resource gathering crafting/building game with some adventure elements to break up the crafting and use your accumulated resources on. Once you're past the early early game food and water are sort of a non-issue except for extended expeditions onto large islands and the various story set pieces.

Still very good game and the one I'd recommend most out of that list imo, especially if you want to zen out. Some of the most gorgeous, if not best, water graphics in any game I've played. And there aren't any zombies!

Grounded gets a close second but even on the Medium difficulty the combat can be pretty brutal even once you get the hang of it. It's also very, very large of a game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Phigs posted:

Okay so you get upgrades in Grounded that up the resource stack limit. The first upgrade straight up triples the stack size. Which is really nice and heavily alleviates my biggest complaint on the game, but also I think it's probably a terrible design decision because it makes for a much worse first impression.

Right now I think Grounded might be my second favorite game in the genre, behind 7 days to die and ahead of Valheim.

This is one of the things on my very short list of issues with the game, the fact it takes you so long to be able to unlock that power up. Even knowing what you're doing it takes ages to get a tier 2 hammer to start popping open Milk and Mega Milk molars.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I picked up ZERO Seivert and it's scratched the itch of survivalist tarkov gameplay except you don't have to deal with other human players, which is my main gripe with any game that makes use of other human players as the only challenge. Also way more survival oriented, scrounging for food and water that isn't filled with rads or items to bring back to sell so you can keep bullets in your gun to fend off bandits and mutants.

Sounds silly I know, but I hate it when devs fall back on relying on their players to create the only meaningful challenge against each other instead of making even passable AI to contest against to break things up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arrath posted:

I love ZS's soft death system. You don't lose everything ala Tarkov, you're just sent back in time to when you departed town for your raid.

This is honestly my favorite part, coupled with any stats you raise being retained as well. I maxed out Fitness and specialized into Mule for extra carry weight and drat what a difference it makes. You get a bit of progression even dying which helps a lot with the learning curve.

The soft death system works especially well since there's still a penalty for death of losing whatever you found in a raid. The number of times I've gotten too greedy after finding a rarer item for a quest or just a bunch of really good loot and dying with them is not small lol.

But you can just jump right back in without any wait instead of some dumb hour recovery or whatever. Very addictive! The quests give you obvious goals to work toward as well as the modules. Need to finish my kitchen and bed really badly, never have I wished to find so many pillows in a video game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Someone else mentioned Stalcraft to me as well and yeah, naw. Reading the reviews you hear about similar issues as Tarkov etc with camping quest spawns and such. Also that it's hell to play by yourself, much better with friends apparently.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vasler posted:

How would Raft be single player, do you think? I'm also looking at Escape the Pacific and people seem to think it's okay?

I'm a sucker for these early access craft things games.

What VegasGoat said. Only reason I haven't beaten the game yet is it wasn't full release when I last put it down in singleplayer, and my recent game after the full release is with a buddy and we play a bunch of different games on rotation.

Raft is great singleplayer, less resource intensive to keep up with the equipment churn, and less difficult building up food stores. Incredibly zen, and you might even find yourself giving different objects names and coming up with a bit of a story for yourself.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

A buddy gifted me Zero Sievert for Christmas and it loving rules. I thought it was going to be lighter on the survival elements given you have access to merchants and regularly shifting loot, but managing water intake in particular has been surprisingly difficult and I'm interested in seeing how some of the modules change things up. Fatigue was also an issue for an embarrassingly long time as I was literally only treating it by drinking coffee and milk, not realizing you can sleep on the beds in the Green Army's part of the bunker.

Game's unforgiving as gently caress, but almost always been fair about why, and the progress lost is never enough to make me feel like I need to take a break. My first ten or so times outside the bunker I died within seconds of spotting my first enemy of any type, and that when I knew I'd end up loving the game. If you have the same kind of brain worms as me, you'll probably like it too.

eta: Anyone else playing through it have any loving idea what the crystals you're supposed to be able to find around anomalies look like? I haven't seen anything remotely close to make progress on the quest.

Hell yeah ZS. It is unfortunately too late to tell you you could have slept in the beds in the upper right portion of the bunker where the regular dudes sleep, the Green Army bunks are easier to access from your area so glad to hear you at least got that unlocked.

one random tip:

-If you've haven't found the old crazy man in the Forest make sure to find him and get him that meat for his quest ASAP. Every raid into the Forest going forward after you do that will get you a fat chest of loot that have a chance to one of the three crafting skill books! This is huge, he's also great for getting rarer bits for making modules and quests. gently caress the Green Army, don't take their quest to kill him.

edit: also if you struggled with how to swap ammo types as much as me, it's Y I just found out. That took me way to long to learn lol.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 24, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZS:

I've started pushing into the zones after Forest and Makeshift Camp and wow, the new mutant types are actually incredibly threatening. It's nice finding where the other chunk of weapon types come from once you unlock Crimson Corp in the Industrial Zone, gonna make myself a sweet af SCAR (called SKOP) after I've saved up enough money for a SEVA Suit.

Thing I learned today: your experience level as a hunter is actually your Reputation level, and is what allows you to buy more stuff from vendors. Makes doing longer runs and bringing back more loot to earn more EXP way more worth it. Maybe it's attached to how much you kill as well?

Also try to max out one of the crafting skills with books ASAP, using the rewards to focus on one is rewarded by pretty powerful specializations.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Oh drat that sounds super nice! I wish I hadn't reflexively unloaded a pistol mag into him the moment I stepped through the door the first time!

you're a monster

Guess you're gonna tell me you're gonna join the Green Army next huh!!!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Lone Badger posted:

Am I better off dying than having a poor raid? Because I'll have expended resources, while dying resets all that.
(Not that I currently have much choice about dying)

Super early on dying isn't that bad of a penalty, especially if you hadn't really gotten anything to meaningfully progress a quest or for crafting a module. You do certainly get more exp to raise your Reputation level if you successfully exfilitrate, but if you feel like you expended a bunch of early resources without much gain it's probably not the worst.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Kills absolutely affect how much XP you gain, there are some instances where I'll get a quest item and do some very cursory, safe scouting, then head back without killing anything, and it's considerably less XP than otherwise. I've been trying to get the USB from the loving warehouse for a while now and I can easily clear the outside with my decked out Nozin Makant but have no loving idea how I'm supposed to deal with the dudes who rush me in the hallway. The runs I've abandoned after clearing the outside give tons of XP, though.

I actually feel super bad about Igor! It was like my third run I didn't die immediately! Why would he say "HEY YOU" instead of "DON'T SHOOT"!!!! Might actually restart over it--which would be fun to try anyway since I understand the mechanics more--because the Green Army are cops and I do not gently caress with cops.

Is there any consistent way to get access to water or rotten water than wait for the shop to each morning? I've found drinks to be massively more rare in loot than pretty much anything else.

If you're still super early it may genuinely be worth a restart, Igor has helped get the rare bits for so many modules as well as multiple crafting skill books which are very hard to come by.

As for the Warehouse, I got kind of lucky with an early baller rear end EC 74 that came with a supressor that I repaired up with some repair box finds in raid. That, plus slightly better armor, plenty of meds and door dancing is how I (almost) cleared it the first time and have fully cleared it since. You'll probably need to replace the Nozin with an assault rifle or find an SMG of some kind, the rapid fire will let you mow multiple bandits down before you jump back out the door to heal and reload.

My very first attempt got thwarted by one bandit camped around a blind corner who didn't get lured in by all the dying screams of his comrades and jump scared me before unloading point blank into my chest to kill me. I was a little mad about it lol.

As for water/rotten water, I generally just subsisted off what I found in raid + the shop. It helps if you can get the Kitchen module installed so you can more efficiently make rotten water into clean water. Pro tip: if you have a bunch of rotten water before exfiltration and want to sate your thirst without dealing with the consequences of the rads in it, drink it right before exfiltration and when you get to the bunker all the rads will be magically gone.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does dying work in ZS? I only got my feet wet in it and then died, and it reset me back to the start with the default supplies. Does it reset to default every death, or do you reset to before you started your run?

It resets to what you had before you started the run. When you start it's nice cause you won't bleed out supplies while you die learning. Once you start getting more stuff it's very helpful as well.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh good, so I don't need to worry about blowing/losing resources on failed raids.

Yes, also this-

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh good, so I don't need to worry about blowing/losing resources on failed raids.

If you want some specific direction, try to find a second gun that shores up the weakness of your first, I've prefered SMG but anything faster firing if you have a bolt action or slow firing gun to deal with mutants. Also try to finish the Guide's quest asap, it opens a lot more locations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Yeah I think this point is really important. I primarily use a sniper rifle (currently the VS-98, which is extremely strong with the Sniper specialization) and recently got an F90 (P90) and it has been a gamechanger. I can just magdump the F90 if anything gets too close since it has an absurd ammo capacity while killing most things in 1 or 2 shots safely from a distance.

I'm glad I restarted and saved Igor, frankly it's kind of nuts how different progression is with vs without him, to the point that (unless joining the Green Army compensates significantly now/with later updates) it probably needs a rebalance. He has been solely responsible for so many rare quest items I've seen nowhere else I've started leaving meat in his crate even though it's purely some RP bullshit.

Super important tip that really helped with my survivability: Check your armor's durability frequently. I spent hours with my durability at 0 which means the armor just does not do anything, and you can always repair it at the Doctor merchant for rubles, you don't need to buy the item for it (and I wouldn't unless you plan to take them with you on a hunt to repair in the field).

The difference between one class of armor to the next is also extremely important (you can see it on the bottom of each set of armor) and there's a noticeable improvement from even 2 to 3, and a huge improvement at 4. Armor doesn't reduce damage from bullets, it either stops the bullet entirely or penetrates the armor dealing damage, so you can see a significant increase in survivability if you get high-class armor and make sure to keep it repaired.

I have a dark, dark secret to reveal: I've found another NPC. His name is Mr. Junk. You can find him on the Makeshift Camp, the entrance to his lair is one of those sewer pipe entrances.

Accept his quest, (you need to have completed the Guide's quest to unlock the Swamp so you can do Mr. Junk's) and be amazed as you realized how mad I was when I learned he's a Rare item seller. Pillows, Drills, Cooking Pots... holy poo poo I could have saved so much time making base modules if I had gotten this guy unlocked.

:negative:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

So after playing more I've found the issue: There are armored bandits that wear identical armor to the army guys, but they don't have the colored visors. When you round a corner and they light you up it's because they're bandits.

But also some people who are dressed identically to the bandits are neutral?

I'm just going to shoot everyone who is outside a house.

the ones that look similar to green army but are grey/brown and have the funky helmets are Hunters. They're also generally have better weapons and their armor is better than bandit armor.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

I'm so glad his friend came back to life I would die for him

Igor is best crazy old man

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

It ALMOST makes me totally fine with joining the Evil Megacorp since their poo poo involves killing Green Army members because gently caress the Green Army for wanting Igor dead.

Also: Does anyone know how to get into the Mall on the Makeshift Camp? The building with the ghouls in front of the parking lot and the pile-up of cars blocking the entrance. I have a keycard to a part of the Mall but can not figure out how to actually get inside.

Is it really the Evil Megacorp if they take down the rear end in a top hat clearly totalitarian Green Army who want to kill the best grandad Igor???

Crimson Corp also has some of my fave guns as well so extra bonus points.

As for the Mall as mentioned it is an entirely separate map. Here is your one warning thread: do not go in unless you are absolutely prepared. It is filled with Hunters, Bandits and Mutants and that's just the outdoor parts. The indoor is nuts, but if you can sneak in and get looting there are some really nice opportunities to jump start or get some base modules made.

Just watch out for a man with a machine gun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I wear the SEVA suit cause I'm a huge STALKER fan but yeah for actually gunfights it's not so great. It's fine for mutants imo cause if you're getting hit you probably hosed up and the high melee res will save your life more like than not. I am considering grabbing a higher tier Crimson armor or something for just dicking around in fire fights.

Crimson Corp has some good bolt action rifle choices, though I'm planning on grabbing a SKOP and making that my assault rifle DMR of choice to go with an SMG. I'll be honest though I really feel like I'm running up against the content currently in the game, though there are two NPCs in the bunker that apparently only let you interact with them after certain criteria are met? Might need to hit Rep 5 first.

There's also a whole rear end map not even implemented in yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I would love more places where there are just swarms of mutants and no easy way to door dodge. There's a building in the Industrial Zone that is just full of Blinks. Absolutely stuffed with them, it's loving terrifying. Blinks are honestly the scariest mutant by far, and all they do is zig zag as they quietly charge you with the only sound warning being their rapid footsteps.

Also it's me, I'm the Loot Goblin specialist chooser.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Hell sometimes I don't even get greedy, i immediately book to an extraction point after getting something and just blindly stumble into a group of bandits

Let me tell you about the time I rounded a corner and some Green Army dudes standing there triggered my "so I started blasting" reflex on my way back from an incredibly lucrative run.

They blasted back and won.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I started with the BBSH load out and tbh aside from trying something new I'd probably do it again? It's not hard to grab another gun off a dead body, and is ideal for dealing with mutants and animals early on which is what you'll be doing a bunch anyway.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZERO Seivert:

So uh, I was playing last night year and the power flickered while I was mid-run. Deciding to go asleep and play more in the morning, I have booted up my game and my current save went from 29h Xm to... 0h 0m???

I have loadout and all the items I had picked up during the raid, but everything else has reset as thought it were a new game. So I'm rocking a SEVA suit, a modded out SKOP H, a mostly broken but tricked out .45 ACP Vrizz Sector and the top of the line night vision. I also have my entire stash still.

But I have no base modules, no quests completed, all my skills have reset to 0 and when I tried selling something it said my Charisa leveled up to... 0???

Gonna play around some more and see if the save is totally borked but as of right now uh, never quit mid-raid for any reason I guess is my advice.

Also Happy New Year!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Canuckistan posted:

That's a known bug for ZS.

The game automatically backs up your save file, and if for some reason your save game has been reset, you can go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ZEROSievert and find save files with prefix "backup" for different slots, for example, if you are using slot 3 for your game, then you will find "backup_save_3.ini", "backup_save_general_3.ini", and "backup_save_player_chest3.ini",All you need to do is delete the "backup" in the file name and rename them to "save_3.ini", "save_general_3.ini", and "save_player_chest_3.ini", and your save game will be restored to your previous session.

Good to know. I've taken it as a chance to fully respec, though losing out on the crafting skill books I'd lucked into finding in chests and from Igor is a bit of a bummer. Having my stash as a buffer to get over the initial hump also kept it less frustrating.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man, ZS has me in the mood for a single player FPS in the same style but there just isn't one out there. I tried one called Marauders whose store suggested it was cooperative PVE but lol nope just another PVP shootfest with some bots on neutral areas.

I hope ZS really sticks.

I couldn't agree more. STALKER 2 can't come soon enough.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hunters hiding behind trees are really the biggest enemy of ZS. Monsters and animals are usually pretty easy to take down because even in numbers they will get on the same axis as you and them run straight at you, so you just need to get on that line and then spray directly down the axis. But then as you said you'll be walking along and then a hunter with a shotgun will be randomly hanging around just outside LOS and blow you to bits as you walk past.

Blinks are terrifying, most dangerous mutant by far, for the sole reason that this advice is far less applicable for them.

I'm also hoping they do some more claustrophobic interior areas full of mutants to make the reload specializations a worthwhile choice. Just desperately trying to reload as various mutants come out of the walls constantly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Good but unfinished. There's some minor bugs but the faction system isn't in yet which hampers some of the overall progression. But in terms of the kill-loot-escape gameplay it's great how it is now and past this its going to be mostly content updates. There are some quests in the game but mostly they're secondary to gearing up. So if you like the gameplay cycle for its own sake then you'll like it.

It's basically the best case for Early Access: a fun and polished gameplay loop that just needs more content bolted on, but it's content that is only really relevant after playing for a dozen hours or so.

To add to this, there's also some balance stuff like quest payouts being wildly mediocre unless it's a crafting skill book or finally you get deep enough into a questline that suddenly you get a good piece of armor. There's also no real hard end point yet with anything to really dump your resources on overcoming.

Once you get your base modules set up as well a large chunk of rare loot becomes pretty pointless, with the hump to get those bits being kinda too large initially IMO unless you know about Mr. Junk. There's also no real reason to use a chunk of the gun types like shotguns but maybe my opinion will change as I try them out more.

You will absolutely get 20-30 hours out of the game rn and I look forward to whatever is coming to flesh the game out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The fact the better armors are far more fragile makes for an interesting balancing feature in ZS at least. You really need to bring along some armor repair stuff or you might as well be naked if you take enough hits. Different ammo types also cause different amounts of weapon durability damage but uh, you're never really gonna fire them enough for it to matter imo but it could be a way to balance guns.

Maybe anomalies do damage to guns too potentially, or the weather actually having an effect on them as well might be interesting. Or just more reasons to shoot more often, as is weapon repairs are pretty negligible.