Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finished Grounded on the weekend and I really liked it. It reminded me more of Subnautica than say, Ark or Conan Exiles, where all your crafting and building is in service to a story. Exploring the world is interesting because you can see pretty much everything from the outset. You can see the Oaktree, the Hedge, Castle Moldorc, The Shed, and the rest as soon as you out in the yard. It does a really good job at leading you were the go, not just through the story quests but just with the environment. The fact most locations can be reached early just by building is neat, but you are going to get eaten by something nasty if you go to the upper yard or sandbox too early. Also it did a really good job at making you feel like you were tiny in a backyard. Really liked crafting from bug parts and candy and other stuff that would be otherwise junk. I discovered my aracnaphobia is more activated by surprise spiders than general spiders. Seeing an orb weaver walking along, yea gently caress 'em up! But not getting back to base before the wolf spiders come out and getting chased by one, yea gently caress that poo poo. Felt so good when I was at the point where i could take those down; bless you red ant club in helping me get the spider dagger. That plus the ladybug armor made tackling orb weavers trivial and wolf spiders a lot easier. Though getting the crossbow was the real game changer.

Though full disclosure, i did start turning off things as I went though the game. I didn't bother with stam because i hate dealing with that in survival games, if only to prevent dumb deaths, and eventually I turned off hunger and thurst. Even once i could produce massive amounts of roasted bug meat and had a canteen, i still hated managing it, plus it took up so much room in my backpack. As some others mentioned earlier in the thread, the really low stacks and no way to increase inventory space early on really makes some stuff tedious. between my two bases I must have had 100 chests, all full of stuff. Though thats not really too bad as you can craft from chests. Why isn't this in other games? This is the best new game play mechanic introduced in the game. But still, just out exploring and needing to run back to your base constantly to dump off stuff you've collected was really annoying at the start. You know you're going to need clay and pebblets, and plant fiber and sprigs and lots of bug parts of all times to craft things and especially build your base and crafting stations. So that was the main reason to turned off hunger and thirst, clearing space for more useful stuff. I only turned off damage near the end, as the final defense thing was just horribly unfun and dying constantly because I didn't notice a black ox beetle chucked a rock at me was driving me nuts. Another thing that drove me nuts is a few items had such insanely low drop rates, especially super spider venom. I think I killed maybe a dozen black widows and got 2. That's a terrible drop rate, and I really wanted to make that dagger. That brings me to another thing that annoyed me, my damage always seemed really low. I followed some guides i found online for builds but none really resulted in doing one shot kills i've seen on wolf spiders.

Oh something else I want to praise is the sound design in this game. Each bug has a clear and distinct sound and they don't just go for the easy one. The wet snarl of the wolf spiders is great, while their snoring is legitimately more scary than their attack sounds. Also the adorable noises the ladybugs make made me not want to hurt them.

Also gently caress the Stump Lab. Some of the worst jumping puzzles I've ever done and had to go back because i missed the Orchid Mantis Kebab recipe the first time. Also i never saw a moth anywhere in the game. I didn't even know they were in the game until I found some parts in a chest. It was a bit moot as by then I had gotten the Assassins armor and broodmother club.

Nothing worse than coming to the oak lab to find an infected wolf spider just chilling outside was probably the worst experience I had in the game that was actually part of the game. God drat I was not expecting that. Though a funny thing happened when fighting another one of them, I shot an arrow at it and it hit one of its projectiles and they just froze in midair.

Anyways, Grounded great, and if they do a content patch later on adding new stuff I'll give it another go, someone other than Pete, maybe the bully looking kid. A story question thought, the sca.bs you find scattered around, thiose belonged to other kids dropped in the backyard right? There's enough tiny skeletons that suggest there were people other than Tully in the yard, and they mention other missing kids a few times.

I might give Long Dark another try, like Grounded and Green Hell, Neebs Gaming is doing a series on it and i learned a ton of stuff I didn't know the first time i played. Like finding a place to set up as a base. I thought I was supposed to just keep moving, trying to find stuff as i kept moving. I am curious about Green Hell, its supposed to be the more hardcore of the current survival games, but i think if you just lay off the human meat you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I decided to give Long Dark another try, and its really nice to be able to choose to focus on exploration than purely playing to avoid dying. Though just turning off aggressive animals is enough. I thought that playing at Pilgrim was going to be super easy and it was just going to throw good loot at me because I got good trail boots and a skii jacket right off the bat, but lol nope. I played for 2 hours last night and just found an hatchet before i stopped.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

are animals even aggressive on pilgrim

edit: i think i would struggle to find a realistic way to die on pilgrim. maybe jumping off a cliff?

I nearly died when i left the logging camp thinking I was on a road but nope, and couldn't find a place sheltered enough to build a fire, and i had no food becuase i didn't realize that burning was a possibility when youre cooking food. I had to trudge back to the camps stove to cook some mouldy meat i found.

And yea animals will not attack you unlike you attack them first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

did you actually get to like 2% health or did you just start losing it cause even if youre hungry and freezing it takes hours to die

More like around 15%, but yea, basically you need to gently caress up real bad to die at pilgrim. Its definitely intended for carebares who just want to explore and not be on the brink of death all the time. Honestly, the only things I really wanted is the non aggressive animals thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How is Green Hell? Is it something where you have to work incredibly hard just not to die so you never really get to explore the game beyond that?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bhodi posted:

It's gone through some changes and refinements since last I played Green Hell, but when I played as long as you constantly check for leeches and know to find a coconut early and turn it face up to get fresh rain water I never found staying alive to be all that difficult, even with the 4 types of nutrition. You can (and have to, in the campaign) forage for what you need. I never felt that much pressure to survive.

Okay that sounds good. I saw early reviews complaining that the 4 foods you need meant you spent all your time trying to find the right foods to not die you never really got to experience the game. It sounds like they fixed it. During the neebs gaming vids on it I saw them building a decent number of things. Also them missing they picked up rocks and leaves that had centipedes on them, and they couldn't figure out why they kept getting poisoned. That was pretty funny.

I did restart Long Dark at not Pilgrim difficulty, I did still turn off aggressive animals. When play pre release, it was just wolf after wolf after wolf after wolf. It was incredibly not fun. I'd prefer to try to not freeze to death without being attacked constantly.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 31, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vib Rib posted:

Green Hell has a lot of focus on survival vs nature rather than against enemies or wildlife (though that is a factor) and keeping yourself fed and hydrated is more of a persistent problem than you usually see in games like this, where all that is only an issue at the very start. You do have more and more opportunities to stockpile food, especially as you find more ways of preserving food and storing water, but every now and then an injury or illness will cause you to need to slow down, recuperate at base, and dip into your stocks. I personally really appreciate having to be cautious and deliberate about my health. That said, I play with nutrition turned to the hardest difficulty and even then it's still not prohibitive for your actions of exploring, especially as there's usually a lot of food just out in the jungle ready to be picked up and eaten raw if you know where to look.
Plus the game has a lot of individual difficulty controls so you can turn off hostile attacks or scorpions, or tweak hunger requirements up or down as you prefer. It's pretty easy to fine tune to your tastes.

Ooh, that sounds definitely worth 20bux.

That other info is cool. The crafting part of theses games is what i like the best, and having a wide range of resources and just figuring out what they do is a big part of it. Why i liked grounded so much, you'd find something new, and you'd go analyze it and discover that it helps you make a new weapon or a chair or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The two issues i'm running into in Long Dark is food and weight. Yea I don't need the rifle and the revolver, but outside of that, things I need to have while exploring all seem to weigh me down so much. I need an axe, water, something to start fires with, and some fuel for it, light source, bandage, painkillers and some food. Okay, now i have a full pack and the second i pick anything up, i've got a sprain risk. Early on i realized i was carrying 20 books around, so I got rid of those, but still, i'm always either at or above weigh limit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

A: you dont need both guns (you dont need either gun!)
B: you dont need something to start fire with and fuel. just use the fuel on the ground!
C: whats your light source? just use a torch from a fire
D: water comes from fires, you dont need to carry much

Yea i figured some of this out.

I think i'm done with it. I keep getting stuck in areas that are completely surrounded by mountains and trying to find the tiny path out is impossible. The fact there is no compass is really, really annoying. Also i cannot believe how fragile your character is. a 2ft drop and they're spraining things? if this is how normal people are, i'd sprain my ankle every time i got off the bus. There's making a hard survival game, but making your character made of paper is a horribly unfun aspect. All i wanted to do is go to Milton, and I was going north, but somehow even though i never changed my direction, i ended up on the far south west of the map, and couldn't find the way out. I even resorted looking at a map online and that didn't help.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lemony posted:

Regarding the sprains, while I agree they often feel very silly (oh no, I sprained my ankle for the tenth time because I decided to walk up a small mound of snow!) it is also important to know that your chance of getting sprains gets way worse the more weight you carry. If you've been up around your weight limit, you might be getting a much higher number of them.

I also found that sprains rapidly became not a big deal anyhow, at least most of the time. I always had more painkillers and bandages available then I could possibly use, so fixing sprains was basically just a negligible time commitment.

I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for getting fed up with some of the design though. Your complaint about the ability to pathfind in the game is a big one I have as well. "North" isn't consistent from map to map. The way the skybox was implemented, the direction you'd think would be north often is west or east, as shown by the location of sunrise and sunset. What's worse is that it changes with no pattern from zone to zone. I don't think the map designers ever considered making it consistent, so I'm guessing they just slap the skybox into place on a new zone and call it a day.

I've seen the community refer to the concept of "stick north" instead. When you drop a stick in the game, it always points exactly the same direction, regardless of where you happen to be facing. So, that direction can be used as a sort of ersatz north for navigation.

There's absolutely no shame in using spoiler maps for navigation if you're having problems. I've said it before, but for a game about wilderness survival in the north, the devs do not appear to think even semi-realistic navigation is important. Totally wasted opportunity to stealth teach a bunch of people how to correctly use a compass for cross country orienteering.

It was really dumb because i accidentally walked off a 1ft drop, and was forced to go down a really dumb way because of it, getting sprains the whole way down, using up all my bandages and painkillers.

And the navigation thing is really stupid when you get down to it. I entered mountain town through the swampy area by travelling north, as i could figure out which was north via using the railroad, but once i got into mountain town i kept going the same direction, and it was okay at first because i could stop every so often and mark the map and i know i was going in the right direction, and then it started to snow, so i couldn't do that anymore, but i kept going in the same direction but somehow ended up at hermits cabin which is in the western part of the map. What the hell? Anyways, decided to stay there overnight, but it kept snowing and i figured this was on the extreme west of the map, so if i headed towards that big island i should find the way out. When the snow stopped, i marked the map and i was in the completely opposite direction of where I thought I was going. Then I stepped in a depression and couldn't get out.

Restarted with sprains off and in Mountain Town. I want to do a tour of the Neebs Gaming Long Dark locations, where Neebs is in Mountain Town and Appsro is in Pleasant Vally. BTW if you haven't heard of this channel, its a bunch of guys from South Carolina who play survival games mostly as a group and they're dumb and angry and hilarious. They have a very long running Ark series, they just started Grounded which hurts me because they're missing so much obvious stuff but its fun to watch them learn things. Their 7 Days to Die is great, as they're using the Darkness Falls mod which looks like it really improves the game alot. They're also playing Green Hell and why i was interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiufyZv8iRPTafTw0D4CvnQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Had some time to try out Green Hell, I did the story but uh yea, you deserve to be eaten by a jaguar, those people didn't want to be contacted but in a white mans arrogance you just had to.

Though when it went to actual survival mode, I couldn't find any small rocks. Is there some trick to getting them before you have a tool to break down the big rocks?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redreader posted:

You can just right click on a large rock and say harvest. You don't even need to be in the inventory. You should also try right clicking on river water and looking at those options! You can find small rocks at the riverside too but they're not worth looking for.

I did that and nothing happened so I assumed I needed a tool to bust them. I noticed the command menu isn't super great in this so i probably was just clicking a pixel off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redreader posted:

It will harvest the rocks but I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you what happened so you need to check your inventory to see what new stuff is in there. On that note, you should try right clicking then harvesting literally everything you get your hands on.

I'll try that out. It was a bit frustrating that as soon as the survival part of the story began, a Jaguar was stalking me. It even followed me up a fallen tree.

Didn't help while I was trying to avoid it I was bitten by a snake. Hey, is this like Long Dark were animals are scared of fire?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sks? Oh I want ZS now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I got a good lol out of that.

Does Green Hell have a persistent seed whenever you start the game? I survive into day 2 and always a jaguar attacks me around the same time on that day constantly. I'm probably going to have to restart completely with predators off because this is not just hardcore, its annoying. This is exactly why i turned off hostile wildlife in TLD because I'd start and wolves would be on my rear end from the start.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

have you considered that like you probably were in TLD, maybe you are doing something that is causing it to attack you? ive never played green hell so i cant speak to its mechanics

No meat on me, just bananas and mystery mushrooms and berries.

Pretty sure it was green hell, there was no snow and there was a big spider under a rock I picked up.

I am super interested in Rust, the neebs crew had a really fun series on it. I picked it up at a steam sale a few years ago but returned it after not being able to play mp and there being no goon server.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ark does have bosses so there is endgame pve content. Getting the 40 or so Rex's together to take down them can be s challenge for some. Me I just enjoyed exploring and taming stuff, and building bases.

I think Conan is the better pve though, there's a lot of content to go through and there is a clear endgoal for you, to escape the Exiled Lands. Though hilariously why would you want to leave? You have a massive castle with an army and topless dancers for you to rule over.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was looking at the current Steam event and grabbed the demo for a survival game called I am Future where you're stuck on top of a building while the world is flooded. Seems like Raft but you're not moving.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Armauk posted:

So "Roof"

If you're American

Flesh Forge posted:

If I may

"Rooft"

That's it.

Played the demo last night until i got to a point where to progress I needed to tools that weren't available to progress. Its colourful, once you know how the mechanics work its easy to play, but the one annoying feature that maybe in the full game you can deal with easier is over night new mutant plants appear and that means you have to spend resources making more anti weed spray and spend time spraying them all down. Also food was a constant problem, just eating raw blueberry's because for some reason I couldn't interact with the planters.

The Backstory is a bit questionable, a second moon came into orbit and caused the tides to go all fucky, which flooded the earth, the mega corps built space ships to leave the earth taking all the rich jerks with them, but then a literal Class War started and one of the ships was damaged and dropped a bunch of its cyropods and that's where you come from, you are a rich jerk leaving the poors to die but were knocked out of the sky by them. I'm a bit put off by this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Stranded Alien Dawn more of a Survival or Management game? I think i have a good handle on it, but i can't keep enough cooked meals on hand, and my settlers keep freaking out and punching the walls.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, tld left me cold as soon as I had managed to see every zone.

Oh boy another cabin with a shirt in it. I have a full set of wolf pants, I don't need this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh, SAD has that thing that colony sims often have, where it takes forever for anyone to transport anything because their carry amounts are so small. So you have more than enough crops, and they can be harvested really quick, but then it takes the amount of growing time of the crops to move everything to storage. So you can feed everyone, but you can't produce any of the high tech stuff.

I can literally make laserguns, why can't i make wheelbarrows?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has anyone tried out Forever Skies? I watched the video Neebs Gaming put out for it and it looks like flying Subnautica combined with Raft.

https://youtu.be/7LZv7se1AN0

Makes me think of the Subnautica game where i tried to live entirely on the Cyclops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, it's been brought up a few times in this thread since its EA release. Consensus so far seems to be that it has promise but needs a lot more content before it's really worth sinking your teeth into. Hopefully by the time it's out of EA it'll be more fleshed out.

Yea I kinda got that sense from the video. Like they're fundamentals are down, but it needs mire stuff to do besides just get resources.

Voidtrain I heard was in that state too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's living on the Cyclops if you could expand it indefinitely. Actual content is pretty bare right now, but if you just want to do survival-ly things then it'll keep you occupied up to your boredom threshold. Land on all the platforms, scrounge stuff, build stupid big ship. There are things it needs desperately, like a recycler to break down stuff you've already made (this may be in there and I just haven't found it yet, along with the ship workstation) once you get upgrades - my ship is littered with tiny containers and I found an upgrade to those so I'd like to clear up the mess and reclaim the mats. If you totally jived on just cruising around in Subnautica and exploring you'll probably like it. So far I haven't encountered anything terrifying like Leviathans.

I think I'll keep it on my wishlist until it gets some more content patches.

Is there a good, chill tree puncher? I've played lots of ark and conan, and am just chilling on 7 days until they update darkness falls. I keep thinking about going back to valheim, as it looks like they've added more into it since I played last.

But thinking more stuff that doesn't have its own dedicated thread.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

REDjackeT posted:

They want to add 4 player co-op according to the early access blurb on the store page.

I hope so, I'd very much like a neebs crew series on it. Simon constantly falling off the blimp.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My issue with Darkwood is i'm really bad at top down games. I dunno why, the perspective just throws me off. I had trouble with Hotline Miami and Binding of Issac for the same reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fishing in Graveyard Keeper is the worst fishing game i've played, and 99% of games that have a fishing mini game, have bad ones.

Someday someones going to realize that making a fishing mini game that isn't the same bobber moving up and down with horrible controls is not the best way to do it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just want a fishing mini game to not be bad and tedius. I can just buy fish to give to the bishop, but money is hard to come by. Its weird, one of the great things about Stardew is that its pretty relaxing, the only frustrating things can be once you get deeper into the mine and dungeon but you don't have to go there unless you need a resource from it. Most of it is just chill farming. Graveyard keeper though "naw, lets make everything a frustrating slog".

You need to buy seeds constantly, this is by far the worst part of the game. Even if you use fertilizer the chances of you getting enough seeds to plant is pretty small.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jawnycat posted:

If you use gold star tier fertilizer you'll always at least break even, and later in the game you can have automated plots for all crops that have a large initial investment and an ongoing opportunity cost, but no actual ongoing seed/fertilizer/material cost.

A large amount of the game's features (automation via zombies) that mitigate the grind are locked behind getting into the back area of the basement area, so push for it if you've not gotten in there yet. Alchemy is also extremely important; though it's trial-and-error methodology sucks when you just want One Specific Thing.

Where is the woman in the swamp? I found navigating it really annoying because there's a lot of places that look like you can walk over it but you can't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chird posted:

New game The Front just out on early access is said to be a cross between 7d2d and Rust. Not tried myself. Youtubers more positive about it than steam reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6EhvXwLB0

Neebs Gaming put up a video about it and it looked a lot like a combination of ark, 7 days and Conan. It has that stone to lasers aspect of ark, horde defense of 7 days and the building freedom of Conan. But my main question, does it have SP? I grabbed Rust years ago and was very upset that there is no single player. I'm not playing on public servers, reviews mention that is absolutely full of hackers, and i dunno if it will be popular enough for a goon server.

EDIT: Looked it up, it has single player, in that you can create a hosted pve server that only you're on.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 17, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

metasynthetic posted:

Vintage Story is probably the best Cozy House Building Simulator out there. You actually need the functionality of a house (shelter, warmth, storage, food preparation / preservation, etc), and the building has *some* basic mechanical requirements while still being permissive enough to allow for creativity.

Is this just a house survival simulator? I'd love something like long dark but you have like a 7 days level of construction. You're goal is to expand and survive with the environment being you're only opponent.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Definitely going to look into vintage story.

I didn't notice they added water to going medival finally.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played a bit of the Front, its, yea, Ark without dinos. I haven't done much outside of try desperately to find fresh water to drink and i need to tweek the server settings so crafting walls doesn't take a minute each. But its still pretty early access so there's a lot to add but it does seem neat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RandomBlue posted:

I want to be the most realistically wet possible in a video game.

Trump survival simulation.

chird posted:

For PvE, the main mechanic is the spacetime beacon and creature lure that you should probably place quite early (you can replace your territory flag with it or make a separate horde base).

This is an on-demand horde attack that gets harder each time you run it. The first wave only has like 5 wimps. I've done up to wave 26 or so and the AI never tries to actually smash down my wooden base, they're happy to wander to their deaths along my spikey death maze, apart from a few mobs who are trained on you instead. I do hear they get significantly harder at 30.

I think this rudimentary AI that's easy to manipulate might mean the game ends up having more of a PvP fanbase (but then why not just play Rust)

The facts hordes are triggered by the user means there's no real pressure. In 7d2d, you always have that approaching blood moon to worry about. Here, you can leave it off indefinitely.

There are quite a lot of PoIs like military bases and mines and such but I've not explored them much. A weakness here is AI being a bit too easy to cheese by say, standing on a rock. There didn't seem to be much to compel me to go to the PoIs. Again, it'd probably make more sense in a PvP mode but resources seem quite abundant. They're testing upping the server count to 80 from 40 to make running into folks more common.

The recruitment part of the game is very bare bones atm, you can tame folks and bring them back but they don't do much. They're meant to do things like work on your forges. That's one of the big things in the roadmap.

As this is Survival thread, the survival in PvE is very easy with default settings, you get like 200 fish a day from laying one trap and leaving it. Things like this need tuning. The feeling of progression through the game is good, though, you're always unlocking new stuff. The devs have also been pushing out updates daily.

Relatively bug-free and fleshed out, especially for a new studio EA game. I only got to lvl 28 or something but have seen complete farming mechanic, fancy electrics, farm vehicles, etc.

Overall I'm very happy, it was cheap and I hope it'll grow into something unique.

That's all good to know. I haven't looked around at many POI or touched the becons yet. Next time I get around to playing i'll try it. As i said, I had some setting wrong and it was taking forever to craft everything and I just want a house built before i start doing anything else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Panfilo posted:

I also played deep rock galactic solo which isn't too bad you get a little drone that will mine difficult to reach places and help fight swarms.

Games like Valheim/7D2D are fun but I really gotta tweak the world settings better to find the nice balance between exciting and carebear difficulty.i find these games easily swerve hard towards either frustratingly difficult or boringly easy.

Yea i set 7days up so casual play won't get me killed but i can still die if i'm not prepared or careful. Thats how i try to set up every survival game.

Neebs gaming did a brief ark ascension video and its, well, Ark but better graphics from what it looks like. Though 45 min isn't good amount of time to delve deep but it does mean you can jump in and know the basics of survival.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vasudus posted:

I'm doing the new Ark right now with a friend on a private dedicated server I rented for a month. I've never played Ark so this is all new to me. It's okay. The novelty of DINOSAURS!!! will wear off pretty quick but for now I'm enjoying it. I've got a bunch of rates changed to make the grind much more enjoyable for the expected lifespan that I'm going to have with it.

You pretty much have to do that, and turn taming timers way down unless you want to camp out next to a Parasaur you're taming for 3 hours to make sure no raptors eat it.

I think the thing that I like about Ark is there is a huge amount of stuff to explore, and going from literally naked on a beach to having lasers and power armor is super cool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Anyone give Enshrouded a try? I watched Neebs crew play the demo and it looked really neat. A bit like V Rising where you have to put down a center for your base to keep this mist away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lohXj5tvsLo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jawnycat posted:

As said, almost all the DLC is cosmetic only. It's really good cosmetic though, the building sets are quite nice compared to basegame and offer some unique building solutions, notably the Derketo pack offering bridges and stages, and the blood and sand pack offering arches, arched ceilings and iron bar doors. The argos and jewel packs also go together extremely well.

Siptah is the only actual content DLC, but IIRC it's more focused to PvP content than PvE (basegame conan has tons of dungeons and actual storyline content meant for PvE, afaik Siptah does not), and was enough of an absolute mess on release I never picked it up.

To add to this, Siptah is a new map with different challenges, and a better resource distribution. Exiled Lands has a lot of mid tier resources located in specific places on the map so unless you set up near them, prepare to run a long way for your brimstone. Siptah, all resources spawn outside of the vaults and other places, and are scattered around the map, though in smaller quantities. I think its because Siptah was designed to be a team pvp map so no one could just plop down next to a major source of metal and just starve everyone out of it. Its also smaller so just running around or riding a horse is easier to get everywhere, while Exiled Lands have fast travel because it is a big, big map.

The DLCs add a lot of options, but yea they're pretty much all cosmetic. Though DLC gear is easier to craft than the regular stuff so that can be a big help. Also, honestly, a lot of it looks really cool. The 2 that have the most content, other than Siptah, is Architects of Argos and People of the Dragon. Some of the earlier ones only have alternative basic building parts and weapons and armor, but those two have a TON of new building parts.

Conan is my favorite building game, even roofs are fairly easy to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I cracked Conan out of storage this week myself and I do not have the Siptah DLC. What I will say about the changes to the exiled lands since I last showed up:

1) There seems to be a fair few NPCs with decent gear on them, whether that be mid-tier armor or weapons. The chests and such in villages now also seem to give out some reasonably good gear. This means you can get sort of kitted out by just looting and pillaging.

2) There are several new mobs running around since I last played, like alpha shalebacks and such. Those rock demon things spawn a bit further south now so iron is available technically almost from the start.

I just started messing around with taming animals and such, which was not available last time I played. This game is still a lot of fun.

Animal taming isn't great, they die way too easily. Its all about uh...making friends using trunchons and putting them on the wheel of friendship.