Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Picked up Valheim since it's on sale. It was a toss-up between that, Vintage Story, or Zomboid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

metasynthetic posted:

thread title, please

It must happen. It's such a perfectly goony thing to say.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

Seven Days to Die is a pretty great open world survival/dungeon crawler/building game if you're looking for something to try, the enemies are mostly zombies but what really sets it apart from all the other games in this general category is the large assortment of hand crafted Points of Interest. Many different character builds work, lots of different approaches to attacking content, and a good portion of it is designed for groups. It doesn't look like it but it's voxel based, everything is destructible down to the bedrock. Enormous value for 25 bucks!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/

On sale right now for $7.50. For that price, how can I not try it?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/7-days-to-die

edit - lol. Should have checked my Steam first. I bought it in 2017. Now I have a spare key to gift to a friend. Maybe get some multiplayer going?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 28, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I tried 7DTD back in 2018 and I bounced off it pretty hard. I'm having much more fun this time around. I do wish you could push around the shopping carts you see everywhere. Is there any way to make a bridge or raft? My base is across the lake from a trader, and swimming across the lake is boring AF.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
FYI, Subnautica: Below Zero is now available on Gamepass.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Raft is on sale on Steam until the end of the weekend. I'll be picking it up.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I see that Grounded just got a big update, I am going to again do that thing where I ask the thread if that game is finished enough to start playing yet.

I just started playing it and so far it seems pretty good. I got eaten by a spider and stink bug.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Almost done with Raft. I spent a long time just cruising around and building before I started the storyline, but after I got engines it was pretty much a beeline through the storyline and now I'm at the final Island. I could grind and build more, but I think I'll leave it where it is and play again once it comes out of EA. Raft was a lot of fun, especially at the start.

I'm trying Valheim co-op tonight, which should be fun.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Jawnycat posted:

the only bugs I've ever really noticed that have stuck around are ladders murdering you

That's the Dean Hall trademark. Kinda like swirls for Tim Burton or feet for Tarantino.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I was watching Nilaus, who mainly streams Satisfactory and Factorio but also plays survival games. He played Icarus this evening and he hated it with a burning passion. He played most of the betas as well and none of his major beefs were fixed. Things like making night time mandatory until you have enough skill to build a hut, the evenings, nights, and mornings are too dark, and you can't carry a torch and use your knife at the same time. That's just poo poo gameplay, and it's twice as bad for streamers since no one wants to watch you sit in the dark for 20 minutes.

So yeah, a big pass from me.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think Dean Hall's association with this game is actually making people assume the worst in the "bug or feature" guessing game. Are pitch black nights or insta-gib teleporting bears a bug or a case of "my vision!". Who knows, but people are going to assume the latter when it comes to Dean "Finding a can a food should be the high part of your day" Hall.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

The default map, Navezgane, only has 4 small towns in it. I'd definitely recommend using the random map generator and there are a lot of good seeds in the A20 seed thread, this post has a ton of good ones with map images:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25756-alpha-20-seed-thread/?do=findComment&comment=460201

I'm using BihariScientology with the generation settings listed in the post and it gives large cities in every biome (except burnt forest, the generator seems to skip that biome completely right now).

I'm confused with the map generation options. I select Advanced Generation and put in the recommended settings and click Generate World. After about 7 min it spits out a map in the preview screens but there are no buildings in the preview, only roads, and no complete message. If I back out to the previous menu then the Start button is greyed out. I suspect that it should be generating some kind of complete message and then I can go back to the previous screen and click 'Start'. Is that right?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, it's confusing. That preview map will eventually load the buildings but it takes a loooong time sometimes.

After clicking back you need to change the map/world option from RNG to the name of the map you just generated by clicking the left/right arrows to switch between them. The UI for this is pretty lovely.

Oooh poo poo. This worked. Thanks.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

FFT posted:

LGIO just did a video on Planet Crafter

and the first thing he breaks? perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpRsEp-_04

This was great.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

moonmazed posted:

i don't think long dark is unique in that regard, most survival games don't have win conditions. the only ones i can think of that do are subnautica and conan exiles

Interesting. I don't know I would have put Conan Exiles into the survival genre. I always thought of it as a PvP game with survival/base building elements, like Rust.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I just picked up Vintage Story. First world, I spawned into a 2x2x4 box that was locked by a trader so I couldn't break out of it.

Second world is going better, but I can't find dry grass for the life of me. I'm using a knife and hacking all the grass I can see but it's not harvesting anything.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

That's really weird, knife of grass should drop dry grass. And the only other thing you could be hacking at on the ground is bushes, crops, or flowers.

Edit: oh and since you're just starting and now is the time to restart if you want, I *really* recommend dropping the distance to equator on world gen to something reasonable. Having to walk like, 50-60k blocks to start seeing climate change is insane

I figured it out. Making a knife blade != making a knife.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Keplerth came out of early access this week, and while it's not a hardcore survival game it does scratch the itch. It looks like Rimworld but plays more like Terraria. All in all pretty fun for under 15 bucks.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/747200/Keplerth/

quote:

You woke up and found yourself lying in a hibernation pod. You have no food, no clothes, no nothing. You can gather resources, craft useful items, build your own home, tame wild animals, fight strange creatures to survive in this dangerous world.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Could someone make a V thread and take the V chat there?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I see it as a baby bird being kicked out of the nest. Valheim was the same way, and now the Valheim thread has 216 pages.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I enjoyed Raft for what it was, and I don't regret the 20 hours it took me to reach the end of early-release storyline. Everyone's criticisms are perfectly valid but it was still a fun game to chill on.

I suppose I should start a new fresh game, but I expect I'll just pick up where I left off and finish up the game.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

The one thing that draws this back for me is that it's so easy to get a total kill if you fight the wrong animals, and you have to kind of know where that line lands. At the start of the game there's a lot of quickloads because oh turns out that thing WAS carnivorous. going to the wrong place will get your arms and legs eaten by cannibals.

Fixed for my experience.

I've got to pick up Kenshi again. I tend to get into the min/max mindset, which is totally the wrong way for your first playthrough in Kenshi. You have to embrace the suck that is your twisted life and just keep playing until it doesn't suck so much.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm getting into the Long Dark after bouncing off it a few times. It's pretty good so far, but I'm wondering how the gameplay will evolve to keep 5 episodes interesting. I imagine that the survival gameplay becomes trivial after you're used to the mechanics, and then it's primarily an interactive fiction game?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I played Conan Exiles on my Xbox for a few hours this morning. It seemed fun enough but I kept getting ganked by invisible enemies. According to Reddit, that's been a thing for YEARS and they're still promising a fix "soon".

Edit - so, this has been occurring off and on for years, but a recent content patch really hosed things up with a ton of assets becoming invisible. The devs posted yesterday that it will be fixed in the next patch, but in the meantime the game is pretty much unplayable on consoles.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
loving gently caress gently caress.

quote is not edit!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I decided to try out Craftopia on Game Pass. What an odd game. It's like Breath of the Wild mashed up with a few other genres including building. The first 4 hours seem pretty chill, but it's really janky and the combat AI sucks. They also made a really weird decision where you can progress through the stone/copper/iron phase up to silver in about 30 minutes.

Anyways, it turns out they're getting dropped from Game Pass in about two weeks. I guess I'll stop playing and wait for it to come out of early access before I spend money on it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
It sounds like Conan Exiles patched today and fixed the disappearing asset issue.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

SexyBlindfold posted:

You probably already know this, but do keep in mind that for copper (and lead, I think) you're much better off looking for surface deposits first, at least until you exhaust the ones within a walking distance of your base. If there's a copper nugget on the ground, it means there's a deposit directly below it (usually 2-4 blocks straight down, past the first layer of rock). Surface deposits spawn on world creation independently of a chunk's ore chances, so they're not counted towards the prospector pick's chunk numbers, though node mode will still count them (not that you'd need node mode to find them, since that's what the surface nuggets are for). That's why it's always good to mark your map when you find nuggets! Some auto-marker mods are pretty useful for this.

Well gently caress me, I started playing today and found four places with copper bits laying around, and just picked them up. Now I found out that I boned myself.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

Except make a Vintage Story thread apparently

I'd do anything for love, but I won't do that

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
The spiders are spot on for me. They make me jump every time.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Grounded thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934545

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I would have bought it for 5 bucks. 10 bucks is a maybe. Beyond that is a nope.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Is The Forest any good? I saw a streamer playing it and it looks interesting.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
This sounds like my kind of game. Thanks for the reviews! Something to look forward to after I finish Grounded.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Sab Sabbington posted:

Oh drat that sounds super nice! I wish I hadn't reflexively unloaded a pistol mag into him the moment I stepped through the door the first time!

Poor Igor. You monster!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Does Icarus still suck? It's been out for a year now. Surely it's matured into a playable game by now?

Edit - I'll bite the bullet and try it out. According to Reddit it's not terrible for solo. Multiplayer is still iffy...

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 31, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Scaramouche posted:

Would be curious to hear your findings when they coalesce

At about 2 hours in, the early game has nothing we haven't seen before. The animal AI is pretty wonky and it's easy to kill wolves with a wooden spear. No teleporting bears yet, so that's something.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
That's a known bug for ZS.

The game automatically backs up your save file, and if for some reason your save game has been reset, you can go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ZEROSievert and find save files with prefix "backup" for different slots, for example, if you are using slot 3 for your game, then you will find "backup_save_3.ini", "backup_save_general_3.ini", and "backup_save_player_chest3.ini",All you need to do is delete the "backup" in the file name and rename them to "save_3.ini", "save_general_3.ini", and "save_player_chest_3.ini", and your save game will be restored to your previous session.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Icarus update - refund!

I put in two hours and decided to refund. I do admit that two hours isn't enough to get into the meat of the game, since I didn't even do any of the off-world quest stuff. I don't really care about that though. It was the survival aspects which found lacking. The animal AI was disappointing, and the bland Unity assets certainly didn't help.

I didn't see anything which hasn't been done better elsewhere. Conan Exiles, Ark, Rust, etc all do better base-building and survival. The only aspect which I found interesting is the storm mechanic and its effect on your shelter. It was pretty intense the first time that a rain storm blew by and I had to constantly repair my flimsy 2x2 stick shelter while the wind blew holes in the walls and the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I just started playing Dysmantle and it's a fun survival-lite type game. The gameplay cycle is basically smashing objects with your crowbar to get enough materials to upgrade your crowbar to smash tougher objects. There's no hunger/thirst mechanic, but there is base building and crafting.

I'm enjoying it a lot more than Icarus.