Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Basic Chunnel posted:

I could use a good name if anyone's got one. Or I could go with "B+ is more or less our ceiling" or similar

"We're all a bunch of B+ players?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Sourpuss posted:

Has Ryland announced when hes making the next TEW yet? I have 2010 but im trying to decide wether its worth getting 2013 or waiting for a newer one

He's said he's not making a game this year. So I'd pick up '13 given there's no guarantee a TEW game is his next one.

Edit to add: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2041151&postcount=3
(Sourcing my quotes)

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 17, 2015

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Gooses and Geeses posted:

If you've bought TEW 2010 or WMMA 3, email arlie@greydogsoftware.com vrom the same email address you used there as he's sending out Steam keys to the first 250 people. I imagine there's plenty left.

I frequent the GDS forums and the only offers I've seen are for those who write decent guides for the community to get free Steam keys. Was this a general announcement I missed somewhere or something?

I'm a dumb and didn't see the sticky. Never mind me.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Steve Vader posted:

Gorilla and Heenan, that is all.

Fixed for accuracy.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Basic Chunnel posted:

Christian and Ken Shamrock and Zack Fuckin Ryder, baby are all on the list too

Shamrock?!

Well, gently caress, I might be buying my first WWE game since 2K13.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Does anyone happen to have a link that has the devs or 2K confirming that characters from the HoF Showcase DLC will be playable elsewhere (because my Google fu is weak today)?

I kinda want to set up an Arn Anderson vs. Ken Shamrock title feud and I'd rather not resort to CAWs if possible.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'll freely admit that I preordered just because Ken Shamrock is in the game and it's time to make some fools tap.

Also my last wrestling game was WWE '12 so I'm about due for a new game.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Bobby Heenan as a selectable manager (in exhibition at least) with a 100 rating.

I don't think I've agreed with a rating so much before.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

MisterGBH posted:

https://youtu.be/plxic_OUOwA
Please say that Shamrock has his ring gear and this an alt attire?

I can confirm that to be the case.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

Glad you can have a manager, lame that you can't use Brisco. He's in the game, wonder why he's locked out of MyCareer. I guess you're restricted to "modern" managers.

Pretty much any diva and modern managers, yes. No Jimmy Hart or Bobby Heenan in MyCareer.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Watching Extreme Rules in Universe Mode, Sheamus (c) vs. Stardust for the US Title.

Cole in game: Listen to the WWE Universe! It's reactions like that that have Superstars enjoying coming to Baltimore!

Me, watching the game: The display card said Tampa, you idiot!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
So I've been working through Universe Mode, with the roster (and some CAWs) split between Raw and SmackDown (and the lowest 20 or so sent to NXT).

Get to Money in the Bank (jointly hosted as all my main roster PPVs are), and all six participants were from Raw--including two people who had yet to wrestle a match in nearly three months (The Rock and Bret Hart).

And here I was hoping to not have to really interject into the booking for this mode.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I play Universe with sending about ten to twelve of the lowest OVR wrestlers to NXT to join the already established NXT Roster. I keep one iteration of a wrestler who has multiples (Kane '01, Jericho '97, classic Sting, etc) based on OVR or possible stable/team combinations. Downloaded some Diva CAWs and split them between NXT and main roster.

Raw on Monday, NXT Wednesday (6 matches), SD on Thursday (7 matches). I only watch the rivalry matches and title bouts at PPVs, and sim the rest. I have NXT "specials" scheduled every two months. I'm also keeping track of records, and every month based on record, I'll randomly add a point or two to an attribute, just for shits and giggles.

I'm on my second iteration of this, though. The first time I had a full brand split and everything, but come MITB the AI only booked Raw wrestlers in the MITB match, and it kind of broke when I switched a few people out for SD guys and never logged the winner as having MITB. (The PPV was branded for both Raw and SD.) So now I have everyone on either the main roster or NXT, and at year's end those who did well in NXT graduate to main roster, those who did poorly get sent back to NXT, and so on.

Right now Kevin Owens is World Heavyweight Champion, and Roman Reigns is in a SD feud with Andre the Giant.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I was only a month or two into Universe Mode so I figured I'd download the new characters just to see what shenanigans would happen to my save.

I didn't get the "world champion is vacant" thing...instead it took my Tuesday Nitro show and reverted it to Main Event.

Also had a laugh at Los Matadores being sub-80 overall (hell, I think Heath Slater is above one of them at 79). Granted, I'm not fond of how they figure the overall values and how some are more heavily weighted, but meh. Shows what kind of an afterthought they were in this pack (and now I have a jobber tag team to use, huzzah!).

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

quote:

Mar 24: National Battle Upgrade

Rather than simply being a battle of the best event rating of the month, the national battle system now has a focus on star power within a roster. So, at the end of the month the game compares the 'draw' of the rosters involved and the company who has the most star-powered roster will come out on top. There is a special screen in your office that gives you an exact breakdown of how things currently stand.

This better simulates the Monday Night Wars era, which was always about who had the bigger and hotter stars rather than being about who actually produced the best show that month, and more importantly makes clashes between giant companies much more of a long-term and strategic war - stealing top talent now becomes a much bigger deal and can have huge ramifications due to the 'swing' it can create (i.e. the company the worker left is losing some of their star power while simultaneously boosting their rival who he has joined), and developing new, hot stars (and then protecting them properly) also becomes key.

This does not affect the regional battle system, which remains as it was. This therefore creates a key difference between them: regional battles are much more volatile, with constant changes in winners and losers, while national battles become a long-term war, with it being perfectly possible for one company to go many months (if not years) on top before being toppled when their rivals manage to finally steal that one top worker or develop that one white-hot superstar of their own. This therefore better simulates how the wrestling industry works.

Mar 24: Pay Rise Requests

For the first time in the series, employees can request pay rises without requiring an entirely new contract to be negotiated. The user has the option not only of accepting of refusing the offer, but also giving partial pay rises if he's trying to save a buck of two. This adds a new layer to the strategy of managing a locker room \ finances and eliminates the previous 'loophole' whereby a worker could get trapped on a much lower pay than he deserved thanks to being stuck in a lengthy deal.

Mar 24: Toxic Workers

Workers can now become embroiled in scandals of various sorts which, once publicly reported, cause them to become 'toxic' for several months and therefore virtually unemployable due to the popularity damage they'd do to anyone who chooses to have them on their roster. This can cause top stars to fall from grace and create major changes in the game world, as well as creating nice dilemmas for the player - whatcha gonna do when an iconic star turns out to be a racist, brother? (Probably fire him.)

Mar 24: Psycho Complaints

Workers classified as Psychopath style are now far less likely to complain about doing sick bumps or dangerous bouts, even if they have a conservative personality. However, to balance this out, older wrestlers are now more likely to switch from Psychopath to another, less intense, style to extend their career.

Mar 24: More Backstage Incidents

The number of possible backstage incidents has been massively increased in order to create more variety.

Mar 24: Detailed Match Display

Double clicking a segment in any of the 'historical' data screens (i.e. match histories, results, company histories, etc) now loads an expanded view which shows the details of the bout, including exactly who was in it - clicking on any of the workers loads their profile. This solves the occasional issue whereby the user doesn't know who is in a match because they're using an alternate identity or unusual tag team name.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Big Wool's expression sells this picture.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a Grey Dog game that's exactly this and it's completely incomprehensible

Agreed, and this coming from the guy who ran three years of a League with the second and third games of the series on that site. The third makes a little more sense but it takes a lot of time to get used to the system.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Champions: why is Jericho's head so small/hands so large?

Hands have to be large to put all of the STUPID IDIOTS on The List.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Since TEW seems to be the topic of choice at the moment, I pulled this from their forums:

quote:

To help celebrate this news (announcement of World of MMA 5), Grey Dog Software is discounting both WMMA4 and TEW2016 by $10 each using the coupon code GREY10. To purchase either game, go the webstore and add either WMMA4 or TEW2016 to your shopping cart. Next, choose the option “I have a discount coupon for this product” and enter the code. You should see the discount at checkout! The sale will run through Monday night, June 19.

I know, it's still that lovely eLicense system but a sale's a sale. It's a little over 25% off the standard cost, for those who have thought about giving either a try.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oooh, No Mercy is next. This should be good.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm still a bit pissed that they didn't bring Ken Shamrock into 2K17. Reusing assets my rear end.

(It's me, I'm the Shamrock mark.)

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

had my first match where two AI wrestlers whiffed like 90 percent of their strikes and then one was pinned clean after a drop toe hold lol. probably the worst match I've ever seen in like 70+ hours

MOTYC: this match.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

Is there a Death of the Territories mod for TEW2010? Or even better a way converting an 05 database to 10?

To convert the 05 to 10, you’d have to convert in steps.
05 or Wrestling Spirit 2 -> 07
07 -> 08
08 -> 10

This can be done with the demo versions of the appropriate games, though given three different conversions I’m not sure the final result would be accurate or playable given the changes through four versions. But this would be to my knowledge the only way to convert it from 05 to 10.

The guy behind DOTT never officially made a TEW10 mod for it, as well. A few of the forum regulars worked on it back in the day but all the links I’ve hunted down are dead.

(Yeah, I went back to the GDS site that I used to frequent and checked the demos to see what was possible when searching the forums failed.)

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Is anyone else watching Woods and Breeze's Battle of the Brands series on UUDD?

It's insane at how bad Woods is at the game (and how salty he gets about it)

I’ve watched only a couple episodes of it. Anyone who puts Charlie Haas vs. Joy Giovanni as a feud deserves to get their rear end handed to them.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

TealShark posted:

If you’ve been on the fence about picking up Fire Pro Wrestling World for the PS4, it’s currently 25% off during a weekend flash sale on the PS Store.

How’s the created wrestler scene on PS4? Enough people to get by (I don’t expect it to be as packed as Steam) or is it a barren wasteland?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks for the replies folks! Looks like I have things to work on this weekend then.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Budget Dracula posted:

I guess its out for PS4 cause I think people are streaming it but its not on the steam site yet.

Just checked, it is indeed up in the PSN store.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Eh, DQ Builders 2 for $30 might be worth it, except for the whole Black Friday crowds thing.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

coconono posted:

there'll be better online deals

True. Plus my backlog as it already stands....

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

yeah playing a knuckler is fun as hell but also kinda down to luck whether you pitch a good innings or not so it can frustrating

Oh, god, so much THIS. I play a starting pitcher knuckleballer and I could have 80+ in all of my stats and still randomly get shelled for 4 runs an inning. When the game decides that your ERA is going up, ain’t much you can do about it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

Here's an odd question for the wrestling game thread... My 5 year old daughter has had an interest in fighting games, and we played WWF No Mercy on N64 the other day and she kind of got into it. Unfortunately, the game is really dated and she only wants to play as the girl wrestlers, and I only have the 1 N64 controller that works these days.

I was thinking of what other retro wrestling games we have that would be easy for her to get into, because it could be fun doing a tag team with her and beating the computer on easy. I am not a fan of the new WWE 2K games where you need to time the kick out, because even I get pinned instantly with that poo poo.

Day of Reckoning 2 on Gamecube seemed like a winner with graphics that are not horrible and at least 4 women that she can pick and mix in with the guys. And the controls seemed straight forward. I cannot remember if WrestleMania X8 was any better though, but it has a bigger Women's roster. But it's an older game I think.

I also have WWE 13 and WWE 2K16, but I can't remember which one of those doesn't have the pin kickout mini game which I hate.

I basically have a Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS3, and PS4 with enough controllers to play a game with her.

Been thinking on this for a couple days. Day of Reckoning 2 is probably your best bet, as the more recent you go the more complicated the controls tend to get. For a five-year-old I cannot in good faith suggest anything WWE related past the PS2 era, and even that is pushing it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
A few years ago, on the Grey Dog Software forums, I ran a game based off of Wrestling Spirit 3 (aka the bastard child series of the Ryland combat games). I’ve been thinking of reviving that in Rowdy Ringsports and/or giving it a run in the Let’s Play section if there’s enough interest in it.

It’d end up being quite similar to this, with characters being played by the members of SA here. (Link is to the final “season” of this thing I ran back in 2014, for reference.)

In the five-plus years since I last ran this game, I’ve toyed with some different mechanics and tinkered with some of the formulas that I use behind the curtain. While I doubt I could go all-out again with a website like I did back then (when I had more free time to use Adobe Dreamweaver and FTPs to move webpages over, and a job that was more lenient with me spending my slow hours at work getting things done for this game), I think I have a way around that issue that would still let the players know exactly where they stood at all times in the game compared to others.

At this point, I’m gauging interest to see if this would be something that folks here would be interested in trying out. It’s been a while since we’ve had a game thread that I’m aware of, and this is different enough from TEW that it could be intriguing to the right crowd. I’ll answer any questions that I can without giving away too much of the behind-the-scenes information.

Consider this me casting the interest check for this project into the void of cyberspace.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Cavauro posted:

If i don't have to do e-fed levels of upkeep then that would be fun

Oh god no. I did that for years. Both as a player and for a brief time actually running a place. I wouldn’t expect anyone to put that much effort into it.

Besides, I’m the only one who should be putting that much effort into this endeavor since I’m doing the record keeping, running matches, writing, etc.

Maybe once a week, few minutes to send training, tops. As long as you’re willing to give that little effort, that’s all that’d be needed.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

Am I allowed to cut my own promos?

Given the current environment on SA, with FYAD dying off because of bigots and (everything)phobics, that’s a can of worms I’d rather not subject myself or the mods to. All it’d take is someone taking the game too seriously to mess it up for everyone.

As much as I’d like to allow it, I’m sadly going to have to say “no” to this. Sorry, Rarity.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

WatermelonGun posted:

BYARGH! Rarity! Get in the ring with ME! We’re having a(n) [INSERT CITY] Street Fight! Which doesn’t need a ring!

I don’t have street fights.

I can offer Hardcore or Last Man Standing...?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Bee posted:

Yeah, as long as we have someone officiating I can't see it going too badly. Though I understand not wanting to give people to freely speak or write and end up slipping some poo poo in there. Maybe any promos could be screened/presubmitted to stop that in its tracks, but I can also respect if people just can't or don't want to open that door nonetheless.

I actually asked a few mods via PM for opinions before even putting the idea out here for the public. General consensus was to not allow it.

Given the goings on in the forums I understood their stance and figured I’d respect their wishes. After all, they can probate/ban me. What can I do to them? (In case it needs to be made clear, tongue is firmly planted in cheek on that last sentence.)

Edit 2: It’s looking like there’s enough interest to at least start this thing. I’m going to finish up my effort posts, and make final touches to the spreadsheet/database I’m using to keep track of everything tonight. I’ll link it in here when everything is ready, but in the meantime, another question.

I’ll be using pre-made characters that I had for an older project to fill roster space. Given that I’ll be making divisions and such, would you rather have all the goons in the same division(s) so there’s goon vs goon action during the season or spread them out to maybe give them better chances at making playoffs? I’m fine either way but figured I’d get a better idea of what y’all think would work best for your entertainment.

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 18, 2020

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
We're live, folks!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Takuan posted:

I totally missed this post, and the adjoining thread. I'm gonna check it out at work tomorrow.

But Tonight on W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling: Ayako Asami vs Busho Zetsumyona for the W.A.V.E. World Ultraweight Championship! Again! Pat Rosscup defends the Trans-AM Championship against Dan Backslide! And Much Much More!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

What time does this run? Need a distraction from Path of Exile/Ancestors/Slay the Spire on PS4 (and from tinkering with my tracking database any more EDIT: wanting to blow up my whole drat Access database because it won’t keep one season’s records separate from another’s and I can’t figure out why), and this sounds like just the ticket.

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 24, 2020

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a release date for TEW 2020 yet

Sky Shadowing posted:

Last I recall, sometime in early June, I think?

This sounds about right. Late Q2/early Q3 is what I think I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Takuan posted:

It depends. I'm not sure about on PS4, but on the PC side all the big edit makers bought all the character-DLC(New Japan/Stardom) and use the parts when necessary to make the best edits. So if you wanna use all the edits, you'd probably have to get the 2 NJPW and 1 Stardom DLCs. There should be a message on the download screen for edit that says if a particular DLC is needed for it.

Avenger/Avenger3 is one of the top PC edit makers that's been porting his works to PS4. I've also heard a creator called Miguel-Francisca is good, but don't have firsthand experience with their work.

I have a fair bit of Miguel’s edits; I can vouch for the quality.