Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The animations in 2K14 are loving terrible, but looking back on what is otherwise the best Smackdown game since Here Comes the Pain in 2003 and going "lipstick on a pig" is selling it a little short. I'll probably skip it because I don't want to shell out the bucks for a nextgen system, on which I'd be doing nothing but playing this game. It's nice that they finally got the model detail to the point that the UFC games were at in 2009, though. The long drought from about 2007-2012 where we got one step forward, two steps back every year seems to be over.

While I am keeping my prayer vigil to some day get a PC release, does anyone have video that includes commentary? Because if that hasn't improved significantly, they can expect serious complaining in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It sounds like they hosed with the gameplay and the CAW options in a bad way, which are basically the only two things I really care about or have ever been worthwhile, so I guess I can sit on 2K14, quite honestly the best Smackdown game since 2003, for another year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jubs posted:

Why does Sting have more power than Hogan?

Because Sting is more powerful than Hulkamania

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

Looking back on it, a lot of people seemed to be outraged that Career mode in 2K15 is too short. That's bullshit. I'm only halfway through the Smackdown tier and I am basically sick of it. I've probably put 10 hours into it.

The mode should be renamed "Dolph Ziggler's Career" mode because that's what it is. Wrestle John Cena, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Randy Orton over and over and over and over and over and over and get loving nowhere, even if you beat them. I don't know what happens when you get to Raw but this is a bit ridiculous.

From what I understand this mode is not on lastgen systems at all which has turned out to not be a big deal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

Here's the thing, the career mode in 2K15 (current gen) is actually the best once since SDvsRAW '07, which had the season mode that we came to expect at the time.

Starting with '08, the first one available on PS3, they started screwing with the career mode and it hasn't been as good since. That said, starting with SDvsRAW '09, they added the "Road To Wrestlemania" modes which were good and lots of fun, but short. '09 also had a Career mode, but it's much lamer than 2K15's. No stories, no cutscenes, no drama, just play matches and win titles. Not very fun at all.

The later games on PS3 kind of focus on Universe Mode as the central part, so you really don't have any options for a meaty career mode. Universe mode is kind of a hybrid of the '09 Career mode and the old GM mode. The problem is that it's a master of neither. WWE '13's Attitude Era mode is awesome, and I liked 2K14's 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode too. Go with which one of these heavily scripted modes you'd think you'd like best. I remember hating WWE '12's mode just because it was too scripted, to the point you'd almost never finish matches. It was infuriating.

I can't even remember a WWE game past HCTP with a career mode that wasn't brutally repetitive and/or filled with poo poo like "win 5 handicap matches!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Prozach posted:

You mean like this?

I guess this is a good place to say that if you're curious about a career mode in any modern-ish WWE wrestling game, newLEGACYinc have pretty much played them all. The best ones from what I've watched are Raw 2 (a normally lovely game enhanced by a batshit insane career mode, but was only released on the original Xbox) and basically any game that has Road to Wrestlemania in it.

Like all original X-Box wrestling games, Raw 2 is a really, really bad game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All MMOs and phone games are horrible, essentially.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really get the point of trying to run NXT and get people over on it like they're going to stay there, it's literally a farm league.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pressedbunny posted:

Ah, fair enough. Though then you get into the "why the hell should anyone pre-order or buy the expensive vesion" thing.

Never pre-order anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pressedbunny posted:

Well yeah, I preach that myself. But I mean, how does a company pitch pre-orders to anybody when they sell the pre-order incentives later anyway? How does 2K expect to make up the important pre-order numbers for next year if everyone knows they can wait for the game to come out, check reviews, check extensive gamepay videos, see how the game is handled post release and then still get the same 'bonus' that somebody who pre-orders gets?

They also routinely sell the pre-order bonus every year as DLC. Honestly it is more annoying when you can't get pre-order DLC later though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That DDP model looks loving awful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm still buying that for DDP and I haven't even touched the game since release week because DDP owns forever.

Well that and you can pick up a far superior DDP CAW I'm sure in about two minutes of searching.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The creation suite is actually pretty important to me, as I care very little about actual wrestlers beyond maybe five or six and make my own dudes. CPU balance in 2K14, while not perfect, is the best it's been in some years. I would actually legit call it the best WWE game since Here Comes The Pain.

The WWE games usually average 8/10 every year and this year 2K15 got ravaged by reviewers. It looks like a stripped-down shitfest where only the character models improved and everything else stayed the same or atrophied, as is often the case with this series.

That and everyone is waiting for a PC version down the line (which will probably never arrive) so they can just finally mod it to the nines and maybe even fix some of the poo poo that's always been wrong with these games instead of waiting for the development team to get a clue.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

It is in my estimation, based solely on the stability improvements. 2k14 was literally an unplayable mess, 2k15 is pretty smooth. Anything is preferable to a game that requires you to hard reset your console on the regular

2K14 does seem to have some weird issues revolving around reading memory off the console. If I don't pick my guy first when another person is over playing, the game hard locks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrBling posted:

Buy WWE All Stars instead for your PS3. It is the best WWE game.

If it weren't for the basically non-existent creation suite I would care about All-Stars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There hasn't been a worthwhile story mode in a WWE game in roughly 11 years, so it's hard to get upset when it sucks or doesn't exist yet again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

this game feels more "gently caress you you'll buy it anyway" than previous years and it was already really really bad

Judging by posts I would say it's probably the worst, especially on nextgen, since the '07 and '08 games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mayostard posted:

Which one had the unedited Cena v.o.? Because that was pretty awful.

Pretty much every one of the games where they relied on VA from the wrestlers had someone who didn't sound like themselves, sounded like they had a cold (JBL), or left in bloopers (Tazz adding in "Who writes this crap?" after a call). Of everyone I think Triple H did the best work on VA and had a storyline that was purestrain Triple H booking.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did they get rid of that? I could've sworn I had a CAW with a mostly-powerbombs moveset much more recently than that who had that Awesome Bomb as a finish.

In most of the early PS2-era games (HCTP, Shut Your Mouth, and so on), the game would detect when your move was going to throw a guy off a cell. So you could do things like jackknife a guy off the cell and watch him land on his neck. (In any event, you and your friends repeatedly pushing each other off the cell was the point of HIAC matches).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I realize this thread is pretty dead without it but I wish the phone games that are terrible and I don't care about at all had their own thread.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

triplexpac posted:

If you took the Supercard posts out of this thread there would be nothing happening. Supercard rules.

Some things are worse than death.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

The endings are the absolute nadir and peak that you can have in a Fire Pro match respectively

Wrestling Observer:

"Kane and Steve Blackman had a shoot-style kickboxing match. Blackman no-sold the chokeslam, but fell asleep while he had Kane in a front facelock and Kane fell on top of him for 3. Crowd was hot. **"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

simosimo posted:

I need these for every match from now on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3sF6_RSUU

Hunter Hearst Helmsley d. Bob Holly with two DDTs. Holly threw Helmsley out of the ring something like ten times with stiff suplexes. Helmsley threw about thirty knee strikes and then gave Holly his facebuster finish, they haven't given it a name yet. Holly kicked out at 2 and potatoed Helmsley for another five minutes. There's definitely heat between these guys and the story is Helmsley now has two broken vertebrae and is being taken off TV. ***1/2

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At least they're putting new and honestly better animated than last year moves in. It's a struggle to find convincing moves/head bumps in 2K14 and the game has a quadrillion boring-rear end clotheslines and back suplexes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

simosimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANOqWQ8NTOw

The CPL busts open Hercules in the first 30 seconds!

lol I don't even know who Corporal Kirchner is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Especially since while the beta indicated a pretty fun game, the concept is nowhere near deep enough to justify a $60 release price tag without all of the bells and whistles. Once all the DLC is out it'll make a fine $40 Steam sale purchase in about a year.

Within 6-8 months of release you will probably be able to get the ultralux goldplatinum edition for $20.

Never pre-order anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A cellphone game is bad?!?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I've had this happen three times in a row now.

Every time it's New Jack.

Someone had this happening with Hulk Hogan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

12 was not very good, 13 I skipped, 14 is probably the best WWE game in 11 years even with its flaws. And for that matter it's pretty rich to whine about the console games being bad and wonder why are we talking about them when you can watch people in this thread slowly realize that they made a mistake by getting into mobile games. I really wish the threads would split up because I and I sense several other people don't give two shits about the mobile games, but oh well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Is anyone excited for 5 Star Wrestling? It sounds like the guys who made it have been working on it for awhile and want it to be good. Some of the gameplay footage I've seen made it look real clunky, though.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/03/12/5-star-wrestling-release-date-attacks-the-ps3-next-week-in-north-america-europe/

Yeah it doesn't look real great and the price point is a little steep ($25). However, it's trying to get back toward older, more respected games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rux8uFQJy7g

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

beggar posted:

So on Raw they announced you can get 2k15 for the new systems and get the season pass for free.

Knowing that the season pass doesn't include all DLC, and the game is kind of a letdown, is this a deal at $40 for someone who is admittedly craving a new wrestlegame (I have been putting time into Wrestling Revolution 3d ffs)

Or is 2k15 purely a bargain bin game like I have inferred? $40 is about double my impulse buy max.

Play 2k14 or load up Here Comes the Pain on a PS2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AIH28G2YRo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

2K14 is actually the best Smackdown-lineage game since probably HCTP. 2k15 is not. At least now we know they are doing PC releases so when an actual good game comes out the world will be ready.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I can't help but laugh when the WWE 2K15 commentary goes off on tangents about stuff happening years ago.

King is REALLY CONCERNED that everyone knows that Dolph does stand up comedy in his spare time. He brought it up like 3 times in one match. And who could forget the incredible Ziggler vs Daniel Bryan match from Bragging Rights 2010??

Why would any right-thinking person ever leave the commentary on in these games?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That Surgically Repaired Back (5G): As Shawn Michaels, wrestle Triple H 200 times.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

9.99 (5G): In Universe mode, skip everything but Brock Lesnar matches for three years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Testekill posted:

Nope. You can't turn it off in mycareer because clearly I don't realise how good and fun it is.

Just trade it in and get like four games off the $3 rack at Gamestop.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

1st AD posted:

I don't even understand the point to this. Was this a thing they were doing on TV?

Yes, as the Attitude era was winding down.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Can that hair be any worse? Is there a thing they could do to make it look shittier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

I know it was a few years ago but seriously, go look at the hair in Human Revolution, a core franchise, one published by Square Goddamn Enix, one that took four years to make, and then tell me you expect a yearly released non-madden sport game published for consoles to look any better.

Until 2K15 every WWE game looked identical to the 2006 release. So yes I expect a game to look not look worse than literally any other game released in the last five years.