Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

oh yeah the dog's getting spoiled, that goes without saying

yeah I'll be honest I'm not sure if this pork shoulder will turn out good. I got it on sale and am cooking it like I've been cooking my chicken thighs lately. It's an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

what'd you put on that pork?

also piso the answer is obviously butter (i'm so sorry i'm sorry) avocado oil. high smoke point, no flavor, crispy egg bottoms.

cooked it with 1/2 a sweet onion and two macintosh apples, garlic, salt, chili powder, white pepper, cayenne and brown sugar. Cooked for a little over an hour in a covered pan, flipping every 5-10 minutes and adding a little water when needed. It actually came out delicious which is good because it was really cheap but I wasn't sure if I could cook it like chicken thighs. Experiment = another byob success story.

Just waiting for my rice to finish so the hound and I can have our dinner.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

dang, that sounds good. i kind of want to cook a bunch of sliced pumpkin like that. gently caress. i might make mike the shoulder chops from the freezer and have myself some pumpkin.

do it :)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
piso I'm sorry for derailing your fried egg conversation :(

i started a thread for in depth discussion

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat posted:

How does your other shoulder smell?

:argh:

the littlest prince posted:

I dunno if this really counts as Fine Dining but I made deep fried chicken for the first time yesterday. Goddamn, is it ever easy to create really fantastic fried chicken. Used the first google result basically, which used garlic salt, pepper, old bay, and paprika (used half of a smoked variety).

I screwed up by putting things into the basket first and then lowering into the oil, which I'm sure every deep frying noob does. I also screwed up the wet/dry because the recipe had steps for creating both in a single numbered step and I wasn't looking closely enough, so now I have three times the wet batter I needed that I'll need to use to make more fried things in the coming weeks. Hopefully it freezes well.

Looking forward to lunchtime.

my mom is from the south and when we were kids she'd make amazing fried chicken and with whatever batter she had left she would make "dough boys" by just dropping dollops of the batter into fry by themselves. not healthy in any way shape or form but they taste so good.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Subjunctive posted:

we used to call those "hushpuppies"

ya i think that's the correct term, not sure where she got doughboys from but i remember seeing them elsewhere as hushpuppies

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FutonForensic posted:

it was very good. Goes very well with herb butter or a drizzle of honey (though any bread goes better with those).

sorry for the pic being out of focus but I was shaking too much from what I had wrought

can someone photoshop the alien bursting out of this?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FutonForensic posted:

I know you wanted a touching Bill Paxton tribute, but I got too unchill looking at pictures of the chestburster (also, I couldn't get a screenshot with a good angle)

please enjoy this family-friendly, BYOB-safe version that doesn't really satisfy anyone

this is somehow even better

:love:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

talk about a gut-buster lol

*sweating* yeah... yeah thats the stuff...

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ferroque posted:

I thought "lumpfish" was that sad blobby looking fish meme lol

blobfish!

poverty goat posted:

the other day I wanted some lemonade and I made this serious eats poo poo where you macerate the rinds with the sugar and let them soak a few hours till all the sugar is dissolved in rind juices before assembly. and it's the best

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/best-fresh-lemonade-recipe.html

yes... i want to try this now

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

hi it's me, lizwiz, the guy who recently discovered garlic powder and basically hasn't done any cooking in his life. if i wanted to add garlic powder to scrambled eggs, when in the process would be a good time to do so?

yes. i scramble my eggs with a little salt, garlic powder and chili powder and also cheese, american, cheddar and ricotta

i don't eat eggs often though because i like them cheesy and unhealthy, i slice/portion of cheese per egg

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
it is not a mortal sin to use garlic powder

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FutonForensic posted:

beef status: destroyed

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

making myself three scrambled eggs for a late lunch. does two cloves of garlic seem reasonable?

way too much imo

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

truly, these were eggs. could've used salt.

another byob success story

do you put cheese in your eggs mr. wizard?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

I know this is a :can: but any idea what style of barbecue sauce would go best towards turning a red meat (venison in this case but similar to beef) into pulled barbecue type meat? Like are some sauces better for that task or is it pure preference of sauce taste?

I have no established barbecue opinions because I don't eat meat but recently started cooking venison that I hunted and so cooking meat is sort of novel to me. I was told that a few pounds of red meat (like venison), a bottle of bbq sauce, and a beer in a slow cooker all day will make great pulled meat. But what kind of sauce!!

as a side note I've been making mexican style barbacoa out of the venison and it's amazing, that's why I'm thinking of branching out to american style barbecue

this sounds good:

poverty goat posted:

I don't have a lot of practical experience to offer with this specific problem but if I had to attempt this right now blind with materials on hand I'd start with sweet baby rays and add a good bit of black pepper, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and a tiny drip of liquid smoke. maybe toss a quartered onion and some crushed cloves of garlic in there too and pick them out before shredding the meat. id eat that

my take would be what i do when i'm slow cooking bbq: start with a honey or brown sugar bbq sauce and add sweet onion and cayenne and diced apples which goes really well with venison

a couple of chef friends of mine who used to cook for a group of us had me get a copy of the book they used for culinary school and it has these lists in the back of what pairs well with certain ingredients. its like my cooking bible when i'm working with new ideas, pic below:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Subjunctive posted:

which book is that?

culinary artistry by andrew dornenburg and karen page

https://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Artistry-Andrew-Dornenburg/dp/0471287857

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

I get all my best recipes from the best desert book *holds up Frank Hebert's Dune*

*open doors to spice cabinet* "uh... don't seem to have that one"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

poverty goat posted:

do you guys ever wake up in the morning all "imma go make a loving pie right now"

thats a brave little dog to sit inside the oven and guard the pie like that

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

huge pie or tiny dog or both?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

poverty goat posted:

Gonna cook and eat these

i love that your little dog somehow makes into all the pictures

also i grew up with the same dishes/china pattern and that meat looks really good

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

ah poverty goat as far as I know it’s fair game to just slice and eat traditional country ham. lately I’ve seen some city hams labeling themselves as country ham though so buyer beware I guess? coincidentally I’ve been considering buying a green ham from a farmer here to make my own, but time’s kinda running down to make that happen so i dunno! I miss country ham tho

I been cooking a lot lately. please forgive the dark photos, my house is a cave

whole wheat and rye sourdough with me own mixed toppings: sesame seed, charnushka, poppyseed, toasted garlic bits, fennel seed, caraway seed, and I probably forgot something else on there too. it didn’t get the oven lift I expected but the flavor and texture are niiiiiiice. right now the starter desperately needs to be fed

pork confit that started its journey as a pork butt brined for 48 hours with lots of fennel seed, coriander seed, juniper berries, allspice berries, cloves, pepper, onion, garlic, bay, and lavender. this one was tightly wrapped in layers of parchment paper and heavy duty foil because I don’t keep enough fat around to submerge a big pork in it. then I cooked it in a slow oven for 4 hours and chilled it overnight. the confit is a joy to stick in my mouth.

i also made scallops doria, which is way easier than it has any right to be

would eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

looks fantastic