Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Carteret posted:

:siren:X-Wing National Finals!:siren:

:psyboom:2 motherfucking Falcons vs Whisper, Captain Yorr(!) & Soontir Fel:psyboom:

My worldview... has changed.

I played him twice with this list at a regional. Captain yorr is fantastic for a whole bunch of reasons. Being able to K-turn a phantom and let yorr eat the stress is obnoxious.

Hes a really nice guy too. Glad he did so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Tie swarms have always been the best control squads in the game. Ions and Flechettes arnt really that competitive.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

smashthedean posted:

I won 3-0! I can post battle reports anyone is interested, but the short version is that Soontir and Whisper were unkillable death machines. I think the most damage either of them took was 1 shield lost off Whisper in game 2.

Did you play any Hans with initiative or VI?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

I've got another tournament this weekend, and yet again I'm torn between two lists:

Lando Calrissian (44)
Veteran Instincts (1)
C-3PO (3)
Jan Ors (2)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Ion Cannon (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 100

Or

Keyan Farlander (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Ten Numb (31)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon (3)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Total: 100

I think both have some serious potential against either Phantom lists or other B-wing heavy lists, especially with the way Ion tokens interact with Advanced Sensors and Cloaking. Thoughts?

Either of these lists will get worked over hard by any decent phantom list/player and wouldnt be able to keep up damage wise verse B-wing swarm lists. Not having gunner/luke on your falcon makes it basically impossible to hit a phantom or soontir and the ion cannons/turrets neuter your damage output.

If you dont want to spend points on Han, chewie really should be your only other choice for single falcon lists. You're at 100 points so Lando plus VI wont win you initiative verse things that matter like phantoms because phantoms will always make a decent initiative bid. Not to mention, without Engine Upgrade, there is no real reason to try and get your pilot skill that high.

Ten Numb isnt really a competitive ship, hes to expensive for what he brings and using an ion cannon with him is a terrible terrible idea. Yeah you might be guaranteed an ion but you need all your fire power to stand a chance with a three ship list even more so when one of them is a y-wing ion turret. One of your b-wings will be dead second turn and you wont kill anything after that.

If you wanted to keep the general list structure I would probably do something like

Chewie with Predator/C-3PO/Luke/Falcon + 2 Blue Squadron 100 points
Keyan with Advanced Sensors/VI + Gold Squadron with Ion Turret + 2 Blue Squadron 100 points

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Is Navigator not insanely good? Used it on my Falcon tonight and loved it.

It doesnt see a lot of play in competitive play because of better choices for pilot slot and a lot of its good is lost once you get more experience and start making better piloting decisions.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

enri posted:

Fel + PTL is like a crutch for me, I can't not take him any more.

Speaking of which... any critique for this list? I signed myself up for another 4 game tournament in a week and a bit. I haven't played any games since I last played a tourney...... in May. Oops. Oh well, anyway... how does this list look?

Fel + PTL + Stealth Device - 33 points
Tetran + PTL + Stealth Device - 30 points
Echo + Adv. Cloaking Dev. + Fire Control System + Veteran Instincts - 37 points

I could drop VI from Echo for the sake of the initiative. There's not much in the way of synergy there, just lots of fast moving zippy little bastards that should hopefully be fast enough to get out of fire arcs and whatnot. Stealth devices on the interceptors should aid in survival for the occasion when I can't get them out of fire arcs.

I'll be happy if I get the wooden spoon again.

Echo is a difficult addition to a list for me and only really works if you give your opponent reasons not to shoot at him. He needs rebel captive minimally and sensor jammer helps a lot. The biggest problem with Echo right now is his basically hard countered by Han and Whisper which you will see a ton off.

Soontir is solid but anything with gunner wrecks all the other interceptors pretty badly. They cant deal with the second attack from gunner as well as soontir can. I personally would use Yorr or a Vander shuttle. Yorr defends both ships from lists that give stress (Which is a huge issue for both soontir and phantoms) and lets you do things like k-turn a phantom and still cloak that turn.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

The only real way to be sort of competitive with Fett is VI, HLC and Engine Upgrade. Possible gunner if you have the points. Engine Upgrade is way more useful than navigator unless you are using navigator as a player skill crutch.

Hes a nightmare for phantoms and can do well verse falcons.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I've seen him work almost in a list that had a ton of flechettes and hobbie with r3-a2. The person I flew against could get a pretty consistent 3 dice with him. Until he was left by himself that is.

I think vrills going to make a pretty strong case as a Dash wingman. Hes going to be a very good choice in a meta thats about to be filled with PTL dashs.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

I've run into a lot of goatee types who show up to league thinkin' they have it all figured out. This game is all about practice and playing good players to get better. It's not like an LCG where you can netlist. It's super good to get a competitive scene going.

Im not going to lie, crushing these guys is always very satisfying. Doing it in a tournament is even better.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

Raleigh regional is 40 bucks. How much are other regionals?

The one in Ontario is 13$ Canadian which is like 11$ Usd.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

When I originally tried X-Wing, a friend of mine taught it to me in a scenario situation, and I felt kinda hemmed in by my mission objectives and overall had a pretty miserable experience. I want to give it another shot, so I told my same friend that I wanted to do a straight up fight. He's got most of the releases aside from the super large ships, and while he offered to put together a force for me, I told him that I'd find some lists online and go from there.

So what I'm asking for is a good list for a beginner that hopefully won't get one-shot off the field. I don't have a faction preference, but I would prefer using at least two ships.

Its sort of hard to make a list without knowing what you have available. I always let them pick a ship they think looks cool, pick a named pilot for that with an EPT or something then fill the list with generic whatever ships.

TouchToneDialing fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Iv won basically all the tournament stuff and I never use any of it. I would much rather use the cardboard stuff and not tip off my opponent that I might actually know what im doing. My girlfriend on the other hand loves using them and having a full set of tournament stuff scares the poo poo out of people.

• Locked thread