Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just picked up the VII Core set and holy poo poo am I pumped to play this. I have yet to read through the full thread but I plan on just getting cool ships to play with friends and maybe think about doing competitions.

I was thinking of new ships they could add, like the V-Wings, Missile Boats, Assault Gunships, TUGS, the Uglies, Skipray Blastboats, etc. I also hope they think of adding additional objectives like Golan Platforms to blow up, cargo containers to inspect/defend, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So I found a local store (The Gaming Goat in Joliet, IL) that has a chill owner. I picked up another core set, this time the old trilogy one, and a TIE Phantom and a soon-to-be-coming B-Wing for 50 flat. I was going to go home after picking it up but there was a guy there that was interested in it. I haven't officially played yet but we did just a basic match with no skill cards and uses nameless pilots. We had a blast! The owner had a TFA core set and another fighter, and the guy I played was most likely going to nab those. It's very real I could start a gathering there to play games and have tourneys. Is there anything I should be wary about if I get more involved? Also, was 50 a good deal for a core set and two fighters?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Empire Strikes Back build: Luke's X-Wing vs this garbage can full of sewage, rocks, and branches (Dagobah). You Bozo Bucket Luke towards the garbage can and if it lands in the water and not on a rock, lose R2 and must fight Dave dressed up as Darth Vader.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I want to do nose art for all my ships. Or just get a shitload of X Wings and copy the paint schemes that were used in the Rogue Squadron series.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Shuttle looks fine to me but not the gunboat :shrug:

Gonna nerd it up here, the Gunboat is not made by the companies that make the TIEs, so the design aesthetic is different. It was the Empire's request for a ship that has shields, hyperspace, and can carry warheads to deal with the more durable Rebel ships. It escalated to the Missile Boat because the Imps want results to deal with a now more serious Rebel threat.

TIE Defenders, Advanced, and Avengers were Sienar's answer to be "Hey! Buy our fighters and not Cygnus!" Problem for all these ships is their expense: very costly and obviously reserved for special units and for a Moffs that steal from the Empire kitty.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Question about blocking/bases touching:

If my redshirt pilot finishes his maneuver, and then my opponent's ending love overlaps the redshirt's base, does that mean those two cannot shoot each other, or just the ship that cannot complete its full move?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

There was a bit in the Xwing Rogue Squadron book where they used an Ewok as a pilot or something.

But I don't care about that as a pilot card, I want some Uglies! A TIE cockpit with Y-Wing engines.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So I came up with two lists using only OT ships and keeping it to 100. I wanted to create sides that would be a challenge to both Reb and Imp:

Impstars (99)

Mauler Mithel (21) - TIE Fighter
Determination (1), Hull Upgrade (3)

Night Beast (18) - TIE Fighter
Hull Upgrade (3)

Carnor Jax (35) - TIE Interceptor
Push The Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Targeting Computer (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

Tetran Cowell (25) - TIE Interceptor
Wired (1)

The Imps are for getting in super close against the shielded rebel ships and utilize their maneuverability to get out of their arcs. The Rebs have this:

Wedge Leads the Way (100)

Wedge Antilles (36) - X-Wing
Outmaneuver (3), R2-D2 (4)

Garven Dreis (31) - X-Wing
R2 Astromech (1), Proton Torpedoes (4)

Horton Salm (33) - Y-Wing
Ion Cannon Turret (5), R5-D8 (3)

Wedge is obviously the pointman, while the Y-Wing is there to be a nuisance to control the Imps maneuvers.

This is my first real attempt at list building, using only what I have available from what I got, no proxies.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

kingcom posted:

What do you own exactly?

TFA Core Set, OT Core Set, Xwing, YWing, BWing expansion, TIE Phantom and Defender expansion, Imperial Aces.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So I played in my first league on Monday with a list I made for fun, Wedge with Outmaneuver and R2, Garven with Torps, and Horton with ion canons. I did ok, but got torn apart when I got into it with TIE swarms. What's the best way to deal with them if I'm Rebels? Should I be splitting up my ships to draw them away from each other, or concentrate a joust to take out the ace of the swarm?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So refined my old list where Wedge is a key attacker into something that uses more updated, more worthwhile upgrades:

Wedge Antilles (38) - X-Wing
Outmaneuver (3), BB-8 (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Blue Ace" (33) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D2 (4), Weapons Guidance (2)

Lieutenant Blount (29) - Z-95 Headhunter
Predator (3), Assault Missiles (5), Shield Upgrade (4)

Wedge gets BB8 to get his ship out of arc on ships he wants to attack so that Outmaneuver and his pilot ability stack well to knock out two agility dice. The shield upgrade is because I know he will be a primary target, which is fine because Blue Ace will be his support to help. Blount is there is ensure I can deal with any TIE swarms with Predator and those assault missiles. Thoughts? My initial placement would be to have Wedge start off by himself with Blue Ace and Blount to team up.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Went 0-3 last night at the league at my LFGS and while I was frustrated, still had fun and continued to learn. I think I rolled a total of 4 evade dice, the rest either focus or blanks in three games.

One of the toughest at the league was a guy with two Defenders, Rexler and Vessery. Both had HLC, Rexler had ion missiles and VI. They were incredibly strong and the guy flew them well. His strategy was to hang back and wait til you had a ship that was near an edge or an asteroid and then hit you with an ion missile. He sent a fat Han and a Doom Shuttle off the map in separate matches.

My list is getting better but I think I need to upgrade Wedge. Here's my list:

Wedge Antilles (38) - X-Wing
Outmaneuver (3), BB-8 (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Blue Ace" (33) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D2 (4), Weapons Guidance (2)

Lieutenant Blount (29) - Z-95 Headhunter
Predator (3), Assault Missiles (5), Shield Upgrade (4)

Someone told me to drop Blue Ace to Red Ace to free up some points and to drop Weapons Guidance. I might have to make that T70 purchase sooner than I wanted.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

The Gate posted:

Red Ace with R2-D2 and Comm Relay is exceptionally good.

I faced off with my setup against a guy whose opening strategy was to intentionally hit an asteroid on the first move to get Red Ace the evade to bank it.

A little bit of me feels like that is too drat meta in planning, but it's also a good strategy over all I guess.

Looks like I'm not only buying a T70, but also an F/O!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I'm patient for a Macross-themed X-Wing tabletop-like game.

So tomorrow my FLGS is giving me first pick on the new playmats that come in. Part of me loves the Bespin art, but goddamnit, the DSII playmat looks awesome too.

That and a T70 and F/O will be in for me so I can get Comm Relat and Red Ace. I might try doing an F/O swarm as a gimmick since I'll have 3.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Maybe there will be an upgrade card called UPDATE, where for X amount of points, an older ship can use the newer ships dial. T-65 can have T-70 moves, TIE Fighter gets the F/O, etc.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Am I nuts for putting a lot of points into a Super B-Wing that uses stress to attack, Kyle to get focus tokens, and PTL to generate stress? Combined with Airen for support to give more actions for defense, could this be a good list?

BWing Squad? (100)

Keyan Farlander (40) - B-Wing
Push The Limit (3), Enhanced Scopes (1), Ion Cannon (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

Airen Cracken (24) - Z-95 Headhunter
Wired (1), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Red Ace" (36) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

What do you guys use to paint the ships? Do you primer them up and then start from there, or just paint over the existing paint job? I'd like to paint some stylized numbers on my ships, notably TIEs, to distinct them from others.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I might be heading up a "Learn to Play Night" at my FLGS and I'm trying to figure a way to get people into the game quickly and easily without much hassle. Should I just use pilots and ships, or have pre-made ship lists that allow people to learn some of the minutiae of the game? There's going to be some older ships like the old X-Wings vs the TIEs, but we will be printing out copies of the recent rules list to have everyone up to date.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I haven't been using Poe a lot and I decided for the last day of League Night at my FLGS I would use him and others:

Poe My Hero (100)

Poe Dameron (38) - T-70 X-Wing
Predator (3), R2-D2 (4), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jake Farrell (30) - A-Wing
Push The Limit (3), Proton Rockets (3)

"Red Ace" (32) - T-70 X-Wing
Comm Relay (3)

Jake is there to use the prockets - last week someone one-shotted poor Biggs with it. I do like his ability to move around and be wily. Poe and Red Ace I'd like to keep together to be attack buddies.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I want a TIE Droid from the EU and Rogue Squadron games. Its pilots are just computer modules, cannot get dressed but it's movement dial isn't great, and if it gets hit by an ion, suffer two damage instead of one. Has one shield, two hull, attacks with two, defends with three.

Modules: Dogfighter: at range 1, roll extra attack dice if there is no hull damage
Tactician: when within range two of another TIE Droid, both ships attack with combined dice.
ECM: all secondary weapon attacks against this ship lose one attack die.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I like naming my squads more than building them. Going to try this one today since I want to try mini swarms with aces.

Too Soontir, Junior (100)

Soontir Fel (35) - TIE Interceptor
Push The Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Epsilon Leader" (25) - TIE/FO Fighter
Comm Relay (3), Hull Upgrade (3)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (20) - TIE/FO Fighter
Weapons Guidance (2), Hull Upgrade (3)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (20) - TIE/FO Fighter
Weapons Guidance (2), Hull Upgrade (3)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

No one playing Epic is the reason why I can't convince myself to rationalize getting the Rebel a Transport. I want Wes, but not the giant boondoggle of a epic ship.

I know it's a "spend money to get this" thing but I want to buy individual pilots and the templates. Is there a place to do that?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Perhaps just a new upgrade card that adds agility against turrets?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Honestly they can release new single ship packs with different paint jobs and create new pilots and upgrades for them.

Give me an X Wing that looks awesome under black light.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

One of the Rogues was a pilot that only saw on a different plane of colors? So one of the ships didn't look like it was painted, but it to the alien pilot it was amazing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

This is why I like having games which have a theme or some other limitations: a buddy and I want to have lists with at least a K-Wing or a TIE Punisher, lists that have no named pilots, lists that are limited to 60 pts, etc.

Yeah 100 points standard is good but when some of it devolves to min/maxing everything, there's no "challenge" of having limits.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My FLGS has all of their in-store stuff marked 30% lower than MSRP. The ships are at least 10 and change, I got Slave 1 for 18. They are part of a large chain of stores so that helps in buying a lot to bring the prices down. It's also great because they're ten minutes from where I live and it isn't a shifty place.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I picked it up because why not, it'll help me practice.

I'd like to do some games in the future, so I joined the SAXWING group as Sigma_One.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Had a nice win against a buddy of mine doing Thug Life, with two of the four Ywings sporting ion cannons. I ran this list (title is a Mitch Hedburg reference):

You Sure Like TIE/D (100)

Rexler Brath (51) - TIE Defender
Predator (3), Ion Pulse Missiles (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

"Howlrunner" (23) - TIE Fighter
Swarm Tactics (2), Hull Upgrade (3)

Academy Pilot (13) - TIE Fighter
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Academy Pilot (13) - TIE Fighter
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

I lost just one academy TIE before going to time. I was wasted two Y-Wings with one on deaths door and the other with no shields. I think I might drop Ion Pulse Missiles to give Howlrunner shields or something. She's great to run in a mini pack.

Maybe pair her up with some TIE Bombers...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Tried out two TAPs and Howlrunner and Night Beast yesterday against a buddy's Double TLT Y-Wings and double ion cannon Y-Wings, all with BTL mod. Here's what I learned and have some Q's:

TAPs are surprisingly fragile, with two shield and two hull! I had them paired up with Deadeye, Guidance Chips, Cluster Missiles and the Title upgrade. Never fired off the missiles unfortunately. They are pretty nimble and fly well around the board.

I was using the Inquisitor, who's ability says treat all primary attacks as range 1 - does that mean even at range 3 defenders don't get that extra agility die?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

If a TIE Striker came to XWTMG, what would it's stats be? It obviously can't be the same as an Interceptor or a Fighter, but something either in the middle or its movement dial has to be odd and unique, like its forward 1-3 are white but it's 4-5 are green, and that's it's only way to clear stress.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

overdesigned posted:

Poe is still the X-Wing pilot of our dreams.

Oh my god, just when I think I've seen one cool thing, I see another.

I want this on a card.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I know I'm a bit late but the best part of paying X-Wing minis is putting your personal touch on them. I've done my own version of Red Ace and added accents on other ships so that it's easier for me to identify them. I've switched from oil-based to acrylics and holy moly is it easy to work with. No more using paint thinner or getting lightheaded from being so close to the paint fumes.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

drat that sucks! Any custom painted ones? Those can be easy to identify. I'd also check craigslist, Facebook groups and of course pawn shops.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Eimi posted:

Was it proved fake? I mean it's not like FFG hasn't bundled fix cards with epic ships before.

Also kinda going back to maneuvering and how fun ships with maneuvering options are, what if instead of boosting attack S-Foils came out and reduced cost and then basically gave you Juno's ability, Attack position is can change one down, Cruise is can change one up. It's not a boost or barrel roll but it'd be options?

I think there should be either more titles or ship specific upgrades. Release a new line of updated existing ships that have alternate paint jobs on them with multiple titles and ship specific upgrades. Call it an Upgrade Drop. Give underused ships a breath of fresh stuff to make them competitive or introduce more viable combinations to the meta so that it's just the same lists going in all the time.

I'd love to see Rogue Squadron titles for X-Wings, and new ones for Y-Wings and B-Wings.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

When these FAQs come out, do you guys use them immediately or say, casually? I generally play at my FLGS once a week - it's not a league but just XWING dudes hanging out and getting in some matches.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So I ran this list today and did pretty well against a Dash and Kanan. Kanan had auto blasters which killed off Carnor, but Carnor did do some nice range one action denial while Inky sniped. Any thoughts on any changes? An observing player suggested switching Glaive for Ryad.

New Imps (100)

Glaive Squadron Pilot (36) - TIE Defender
Predator (3), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Carnor Jax (33) - TIE Interceptor
Crack Shot (1), Royal Guard TIE (0), Shield Upgrade (4), Targeting Computer (2)

The Inquisitor (31) - TIE Adv. Prototype
Lone Wolf (2), TIE/v1 (1), Hull Upgrade (3)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Played in my first actual tournament at my FLGS today. Only 6 people were present but I'm still going to count it because I came in first place! I won a free large-based ship, so I nabbed the Lambda Shuttle for when I start doing Heroes of the Aturi Cluster this year.

The competitive nature of the whole thing made each move tense and even the actions I took were carefully thought-out. My list was a combo of my original creation plus some help here on the thread:

Inquisitor with v1 Title, PTL, and Autothrusters
Carno Jax with Royal Guard TIE, Targeting Computer, Autothrusters,
Countess Ryan with x7, Twin Ion Engine MkII, and Juke

My first match was against the TO's wife, who dabbled a little bit but had also done 2v2s at Adepticon before. She ran two Blue Novices and Wedge. I tabled her without any real damage and before it went to time. What I learned from this match up was to find out which ships were going to be the most trouble overall, and knock them down. I took out Wedge first, and unfortunately she had landed the Blues on some rocks into some bad positions. She did do well with blocking my Carnor and Inquisitor, but Carnor's ability to deny focuses allowed Ryad to utilize Juke effectively.

My second match was up against my friend that got into X-Wing the same time I did, and we have a friendly rivalry going on. He played a scum list of 4 Y-Wings with TLT, BTL-A4s, and the unhinged Astromech. This match was a shitshow for me. I have no clue on how to effectively deal with a swarm of Y-Wings that can effectively put down possibly 3+ hits on my ships from each on their turn. I managed to drop one of the shields of one, and put one damage on another, but 2 were untouched. I know I can try to get into range 1, but I'm always in arc of one ship. I tried to lure them through an asteroid field, but my friend was able to get lucky on his dice rolls - 6 times he had to roll for damage, and got 0. I got tabled and frustrated. How the hell do you guys deal with a list like that?

My third and final match was up against someone I had played before months ago and lost - he was a guy that was smart with his move. His list was Wedge, Poe, and Biggs. I knew off the bat that Biggs was going to have to go down before I could hit Wedge or Poe. However, I used Ryad with her K-Turns to point her in a way that she'd only target Wedge. Carnor and Inky took out Biggs, but then Carnor was destroyed. I worked on Wedge next, I had to get rid of him because of his ability and he had R2-D2 on him as well. Ryad was able to K-Turn into a nice position at range 1 behind Wedge and was able to shoot him down. His Poe pulled off an amazing T-Roll that put him at range 1 of Ryad and brought her down to 2 hull while Inky circled around to stay at range 3. This went to time, but on the final play Ryad was able to kill Poe.

My MoV put me in 1st, my friend in 2nd, and my third match opponent at 3rd. It was a good day.

There was a total newbie to the game that decided to join in on the tournament despite only have the OT core, A-Wing, and Y-Wing. He bumped ships around, knocked asteroids around, used the wrong dials on some ships - he was frustrating his opponent. The guy even did victory dances and used words like "You're being salty!" He won his first match but got beat in his next two matches and left ASAP. We were all new before, but this guy was obnoxious and we had to have the TO babysit his matches to make sure he was doing things right.

Overall I learned a few things: Ryad can loop all day and contain a fight in areas that might be a disadvantage for the opponents. Carnor is vulnerable to get into range 1 for action denial. Inky is a sniper and not up-close.

That's my write-up. I think I might drop x7 on Ryad and put TIE/D on her for maximum attack. For Carnor I might drop TC for a shield since I used his TL maybe once, since everytime I PTL'ed it was always a focus and usually a boost or a barrel roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

FFG trying to court Scum players into buying more ships and it'll work. I might even dabble since I already have the Starviper, might nab Most Wanted and then these two Fangies.

• Locked thread