Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cobaltshift posted:

Where do you find information about where and when regionals are?

Follow their facebook page and hope you see it when it's announced. Otherwise good luck finding it on google because it'll show past years too.
https://www.facebook.com/ffgorganizedplay/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

I was actually somewhat impressed by this. While there are undoubtedly many individual balance issues within, the core concept of "frames" and the way they handle modifying the ships is really solid.

:same: I've been on a wargaming kick lately and about to start playing space empires 4x which has individual upgrades for ships in a navy so this idea sounds sweet. A wargame with individual tableaus for fighters and packs of chits you can use to upgrade them. :allears: You'd even be able to turn over the chits for damage effects on the back side.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Only chain I know of is cool stuff inc. it’s been slowly expanding across Florida. Cousin lives around there and he says they’re great, but mostly plays board games at their stores.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What ships from the new wave are cool and good? I want to start painting again and not have my efforts wasted

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the Resistance Bomber, which happens to have some nice large, flat panels

Hm, it does have the bonus of being able to glue a set of dangling balls underneath and have them be canon

Some Numbers posted:

The Gunboat appears to be fantastic.
:argh:

At least it's the one that looks like a mini lambda and not the Ye-4 or the missile boat. Still looks like a dumb generic 90s ship though. It belongs in BSG!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hoiyes posted:

I've only been in one final of a regional, but at that point I had won all the shinies I wanted and had played so much Xwing that didn't really give a crap and played without due care.

:same: I mostly went for shinies in regionals because the win doesn't really mean anything. I've gone high enough in many regionals that I don't really care about them anymore unless they start releasing bright pink and purple plastic stuff. The latest round of regionals being yet another hue of orange with another iteration of red/green sparkly dice was very disappointing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone won the MD Regional with a Firespray :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm honestly kinda surprised more than disappointed. Perfect opportunity to buff the old-wing

:same: I would've thought that Asmodee would love to milk more money off the old x/y and get us to buy the same ships again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Raged posted:

Pretty sure I am going to run this at regionals in a couple of weeks. Played around with it a few weeks ago and got to watch Travis Foss run it last weekend and have run some more games with it. It's pretty much the Alpha of Alphas. Nym/Miranda will just vanish, gunboats go straight to hell and RAC if everything goes right can go down in 1 turn. Kylo himself is a challenge though. Tempted to run Kong's Ion Dong list, but I won't have time to practice it

Really wish I could run Dengar/Assaj, but even when everything goes right it bleeds MOV all over the place.

Captain Jostero (24)
Deadeye (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Contraband Cybernetics (1)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Vaksai (0)

Captain Nym (Scum) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
"Genius" (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Havoc (0)

Torani Kulda (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
R5-TK (0)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Any reason for the R5-TK or is it just there because it's free?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Actually what use case does R5-TK have in general?

It's a really fringe case but I can imagine you could harpoon Nym so he becomes a literal suicide bomber that deals extra damage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

Shooting your own guy to blow him up to splash damage someone else to trigger Captain Jostero would be amazing.

This is also the other thing I was thinking. The 1/million possibilities are pretty neat.

Also the Nym bomber looks cool enough for a repaint. I'm thinking you could play with perspective and blocky cube art for the thing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a guy at one of our local stores who open carries a pistol and has the worst temper. I leave when he shows up. I'm legitimately afraid of him.

The guy I'm talking about above is just loud and kind of obnoxious. I'll take that any day of the week over a fear of getting shot over a game of plastic space ships.
:stare:
One of our LGSs had to put a "No Open Carry" sign on the front door after someone did this. That person then went to the facebook and ranted about it on the ratings page. The best part are the people who were taunting the guy with stuff about bringing a gun to a children's play space.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So there's the Luke and Bigger Luke theory, but half the evidence for it was in relation to Han Solo, so it's actually possible that there's actually a Han Prime and Smaller Han. This could also be either the Canon Han Hypothesis or the Harrison Hypothesis.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Another pro/con to Paratanni vs. Fenn+Ghost:

Jumpmaster, Protectorate, Lancer are extremely cool and good to paint, while Shitpede is bad and Ghost is theoretically extremely cool but... *checks to see repaint group for unique paintjobs* yeah, most people just recolor the stripes and I suspect it's mostly because of the angles.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Raged posted:

Barley seeing them in the top tables already.

In Australia palp aces have already made a comeback. Going to be everywhere now when the new wave comes out.

Is inquisitor popular? If so what’s the usual list? I want to use my painted one again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the Ink lists. Im probably using my old painted Wampa as QuickDraw for that variant. There’s a lot of mail/Ezra Ghost with rebel Frau running around right now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Epic is the 40k Apocalypse of x wing. Thankfully FFG decided not to go with the insane strategy of making it the default tournament game, like GW did.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

The lowest Palp could go is 5 points, because the Tie Shuttle title explicitly says "no crew that cost more than 4."

I like the thought that Palp will ride in a Reaper, but the Bomber is too much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AndyElusive posted:

It's kind of thematic anyway. He's worked too drat hard to travel around in a lowly modified TIE bomber.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

uncle blog posted:

There are often store tournaments in a local game shop here. Every time the entire ordeal is arranged by the players, and all mats and stuff are also brought by the players. There is usually a 10 bucks entry fee, and the top three players get gift cards for the store, and usually a FFG kit is divided among the players. The store charges us about 20 bucks for a kit, which is taken from the entry fee, and the rest is divided into the gift cards. My question is: is it normal for a store to charge for these kits? In the last city I lived in, the store would always provide these free of charge.

I've seen stores do this for less popular (at their store) games. They don't want the liability of buying the kits and not having them be used, so they use a hands off approach and let you guys run the event.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

uncle blog posted:

Okay. I was under the impression that the store usually provided these, as these tournaments drum up interest in their product. In our case the event is entirely run by the players, and all the money are spent on gift cards, meaning the store gets all the profit from that amount. So I thought it would be reasonable for the store to chip in for the kits. But I'm not terribly upset about it, just wanted to know what the usual deal was.

The store uses the money from entry fees anyway. The stores here just take the money and dole out store credit and/or prizes, so it's the exact same system. You're just seeing it because it's been made more visible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

Probably this.
That or a reprint of the games lost with the Games Workshop license.
Fury of Darth Vader
Forbidden Star Wars
Chaos in the Old Republic

:eyepop:

Would love for GW to partner with Wizkids in reprinting those games only to have it overshadowed by the star wars asmodee machine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This long lull is good. This is what x-wing was like in the early years, before 2016-2017 accelerated the releases to a ridiculous degree. I wish they'd go down to 2 waves a year, max.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: you're going to have to buy an upgrade kit for each copy of a ship you want to use.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Edit: ^^^holy poo poo if true

This is great for the game but probably a great time to bow out too

Core + fixes will be $200? Do I need to buy the expansions too if I already own them?

This is FFG. You might get 2 copies for each ship if we're lucky.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyonero posted:

I'm here at FFG. Wow.

Yo, ask them how many copies of each ship base/generic pilot comes in each conversion kit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

App having upgrade cards means you probably need the copy of the physical card anyway, but the app would handle all the points costs. Of course, while this would curtail accidental cheating by honest people, I can only imagine the fun list cheating shenanigans :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hey guys, remember the one thing we all agreed the game needed to be more robust? The more granular hit/evade dice? They're not doing it. And now they're even reducing the granularity of the pilot skills to 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Misspoke. I meant attack/defense values. 2 is worthless, 3 is good. That's all we have for now and what everyone here agreed on.

• Locked thread