Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a ton of points, but I'm wondering how the combination of Isard, Tactician, and Rebel Captive would do. Now you can really concentrate the stress on targets, which seems really valuable.

Tactician isn't so great on the Decimator. It's reasonably maneuverable for a large ship, but Tac only works in firing arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ah, that's what I was confused about. So "firing arc" always refers to the forward 90 degrees, even on a turreted ship. Got it.

To confuse things slightly more: the forward arc with solid lines is your "primary firing arc", which some things reference. The Firespray has another "firing arc" however, to its rear. So, Tactician will work on a Firespray if the target is range 2 on either side, but some other effects that require "primary" will only work off the front one.

So far the Firespray is the only ship where this matters, though.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SageNytell posted:

So for the more math - inclined goons out there: what does the Accuracy Corrector mean for shot statistics? Is there a scenario when making a shot normally makes sense?

I feel like it could be useful on ships that have actions to take other than focus/target lock as well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Imperial player plays at my store. He's a great guy and a great player. He plays a LOT.

He can pretty much win with Whisper, Yorr is a red herring

Do you happen to play in the Triangle area? That list is one a guy here runs, and it sorts looks like him, but I can't tell from the back like that for certain.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Ya, I play at Gamer's Armory. Stairs, etc.

Ah cool. Everyone there is good people, glad to see he won.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

overdesigned posted:

It looks like their general archetype for Scum is lower-PS or slightly weaker ships with stronger debuff abilities to even the score. It's a new way of playing the game and after some initial dismay I'm getting more excited to see how it plays out.

Maybe, but I don't think we've seen enough to really say that yet. New Fett is a powerhouse on paper at least, the M3-A's are similar to TIE Fighters but with options.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jivjov posted:

I'm not trying to doom-&-gloom. I just have way too much time to think about moving little plastic squares around haha.

TIE Swarm is still a thing, and it's all first wave stuff. I think your fears are unfounded so far, it's not like new ships are better but also cost the same number of points as older ships, etc.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
http://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/2dqrwf/ffg_blog_scum_and_villainy/?sort=confidence
This thread on Reddit has a bunch of pretty good guesswork on the semi-visible cards. Andraste and Emon both are listed as likely there.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Predator is half of a target lock for free. You're getting a full target lock for free with Blue + FCS. Relative advantage.

Not everything is that easy to just break down. Rerolling 2 dice plus a focus is almost 3-4 hits every time. The FCS TL only matters if you can shoot the same guy two turns in a row, which doesn't happen that often in my experience.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

You can attach focus to an FCS too because it's after the first attack, not an action itself. If you can maintain arc on your target, FCS is strictly better than Predator. Granted, in a B-Wing that isn't always the case, but intelligent flying can put it to some drat good use.

Yeah, but unless you're also cramming Gunner on there, you don't get that TL reroll until the next turn. So you're balancing one attack with focus and a second attack with TL + Focus against 2 attacks with 1 reroll plus focus on each, with a chance for a second reroll on each. Not saying FCS is bad, it's good, especially with things that can make 2 attacks, but I think Predator is generally stronger and more easily used.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think I'd rather take Outmaneuver instead, honestly. Doesn't eat an action and you should generally not be in arcs with PtL A-Wings I'd imagine. TL + Focus and -1 Agility to the target is probably better than +1 dice and only TL or Focus, but someone should check on that.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I love Scum and Villainy though, so I am thinking of maybe getting Slave I and some other ships and try again with more variety/more ships and see if that helps things. I also really like the look of Armada, but I'm waiting to hear more about how it plays. Did they have any demos of it at Gencon or was it just showing off the product/models?

There's a couple demo videos from Gencon floating around. The Team Covenant one actually does a pretty good job at showing most of the mechanics and how the game plays, if you can ignore their babble. Looks pretty rad!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Watched The Gate wipe the floor with a whiny manchild, though, which was worth it.

Oh man. I almost felt bad because his dice were pretty terrible, but drat.

In other news, Roark soloed 6 out of 8 HP on 2 A-Wings with his ion cannon (Blount helped by Ion Pulsing one and shooting an HP off the other)! Neither A-Wing was ever really able to maneuver, and since I caught them stressed from PtL, they also never really got to take actions. The first game I played I got steamrolled though, because I deployed bad and maneuvered bad. It was pretty terrible, but I am going to blame having not played any Rebel ships from wave 3 or 4 before. :colbert:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 26, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114992-its-time-to-ban-c3p0/

I love how crazy this dude is. He thinks C-3PO is the problem. I wonder why he doesn't ask himself why people are running the Falcon?

There's a guy a little further down that's got it right.

quote:

OMG everything is so OP, we should just ban all ships and upgrades and to make it fair we can all just play as asteroids.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Is that a thing? My second game was just a ball of TIE fighters unloading on whatever wandered in front of them. The first game I tried splitting them up into wings of 2 and between not taking advantage of my maneuverability and basically only firing with half of my ships in a given turn I was doing pretty poorly, but once I realized I could just take a ball of TIE fighters with great synergy I felt a little better.

Yeah, this basically. Don't forget to abuse barrel roll, it's a deceptively strong action for getting juuuuust out of someones firing arc, or bouncing into range 1. Also, 1 speed turns will make Rebels hate you.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The "best" shuttles are ones that are kept cheap, generally. The base shuttle is a space cow, but it's a cow with 3 attack and 10 HP for the same cost as an X-Wing. Lots of people run it with Vader and maybe 1-2 other cheap upgrades to keep it around 30 or less points and seem to do well. Just make sure it's supported by ships that can get other ships off it's rear end, because it's not very agile. The national champ just used a naked Yorr to buff up a couple elite pilots by eating stress off them. I've also seen them run with Engine Upgrade to give it a bit more speed and turning ability and upgrades like Tactician or Rebel Captive. Anti-Pursuit is pretty good if you're running a low-PS shuttle so it moves first and then lets people run into it. The higher skill pilots like Jendon at 6 are often going to move after a bunch of ships and then there's no one left to run into it and trigger the lasers.

I think ST-321 is a bit of a trap, because you can generally find people within range 3 of a shuttle pretty easily, and you don't want to have a ship hanging out far away unable to do anything but hand out a target lock each turn.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Madurai posted:

I find myself wondering about a downgrade like the Chardaan refit card, but that would delete Y-wing turrets.

2 attack and a mediocre dial with no boost or roll is a recipe for useless.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

If it made them cheaper, and also kept their hull/shields as high as it was, that'd be a win.

A 16 cost Gold Sq. Y-Wing would be loving nice.

Not really? I mean, I guess it could sit there and not get killed for a turn, but that's hardly a glowing achievement. If I saw a Y-Wing like that I would just ignore it and never land in front of it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

A 16 point Gold lets you field six of them.

Y-swarm. Go.

Who cares if you have six, that's my point, they're awful ships as is. If they were like 14 points (with no turret option) they might be playable as filler, but they'd still be a bad swarm compared to Howl+Academy.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Would a no-cost option that swapped their turret for an agility be more to your liking?

More like:

alg posted:

It's a goddamn Y-Wing, they don't swap the fuckin' turrets. Their turrets are the point of their ship. They should just get a straight up upgrade card for 0 points that adds a Crew. That's the point of Y-Wings, they're a two man attack ship with a turret. loving B-Wings why the gently caress did they get the crew card.

Yeah, this. An option for crew and actual EPT's is what would help them. They need to be able to actually contribute to the game beyond handing out target locks with Vander and being an Ion turret.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 3, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Regular Green Squadron A-Wings will be pretty awesome as well with PtL, Chaardan Refit, Test Pilot, and Outmaneuver. 23 points for all that is pretty nuts, and it has 3 PS so it avoids Predator.

Man, I wish there were a way to add EPTs to Imp ships somehow. I really want all the PS5-7 Fighters to be more playable.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

I still find it weird that they introduced the best missile for A-wings and chaardan at the same time. I almost feel like chaardan should have been a modification rather than a missile slot taker. I don't understand the need to make missiles even less worth taking on an a-wing.

Edit: And yeah, nobody said massed Green Squadron Pilots would suck :v:

2 attack dice does suck. PtL can help a bit with TL + Focus, but only so much. You're still capped at 3 hits max, and that's only at range 1, so it's not exactly crazy damage output. Really tanky large ships and high-agility Imp lists will be really hard to deal damage to.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm excited for A-Wings, but I think you need Test Pilot and the extra EPT to boost their offense somehow.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Caddrel posted:

With attack 2 and no barrel roll, the A-Wings need PTL to be comparable to the offense of a Tie Int.

That said, the current designers have said that Tie Ints will get a buff against turret ships, which I think is their biggest failing. Right now the only Int I run is Soontir, who is still incredibly good.

Some sort of modification that added rerolls or agility against someone who is attacking you from outside arc would be cool.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh boy is this leading to another falcon whine? Reminder that you need to use 60+ points to even make a competitive falcon that only puts out 3-4 shots/turn.

And it's really only 1, because you can't actually kill more than one ship at a time. Losing a die off the Falcon would be pretty terrible, and everyone would just run Whispers with impunity.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Whisper moves after the YT-2400, so it can easily get inside the range 1 band and avoid getting shot at entirely. Depends on the asteroids and the rest of the list, obviously.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

You could do a soontir with PtL and targeting comp, two RGPs with PtL and an alpha if you wanted to stick to four inties. At that point you might as well get phantoms though :shrug:

Pretty huge difference in pilot skills between the basic Phantoms and the RG Interceptors, though. Not to mention Fel.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The world where Soontir is made of paper and will explode when looked at sideways, i.e. this world.

How will they ever see him? Unless someone bring an ion turret Y-Wing or HWK to the table, Fel won't ever really be in anyones arc of fire if it's only ever 1 ship lists.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Lunatic Pathos posted:

It's really hard to avoid arc at range 3 on the initial approach. You have no other ships to draw attention.

Focus, Evade, 4 dice for range. You're not gonna die. Alternately, you do a 3 bank the turn you're going to come into range, then boost off to the side if it will get you out of their arc, then swoop in the next turn. You don't have anyone to distract, but they also don't have anyone to try and herd you into at least one persons line of fire.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Soulex posted:

Like for example. Sometimes my friend and I go head to head and we were under the false assumption you can over shoot. I move forward and am clear. He moves forward and rams me. We are now nose to nose. The next round, since we are blocking each other from moving forward, how do we continue movement when any movement would cause another collision?

As long as bases aren't overlapping at the end of the move, you don't collide. If they are overlapping, you stop short so that your bases are just touching instead. If you can fit past them, you're fine, you get your action like usual, etc. If you do ram a ship where your base overlaps, you lose your action and you can't shoot anything you're in base contact with. If you ram and you were attempting a k-turn, you don't turn around, you stay facing the original way. If you ram, you do still get the effects of the maneuver if it was red or green! So, even if you collide during a green move, you'd still at least lose a stress token, and if it was red (like a k-turn) you'd still gain a stress token. If someone runs into your ship, nothing happens to you as long as whatever move you make can get you past the other ship still. To add to the confusion, if your movement template does cross over an asteroid, you still lose your action and take a damage die roll, but you can still shoot if you have a target. Landing on an asteroid, or crossing over one, doesn't prevent you from turning around in a k-turn, though, unlike hitting another ship.

tl;dr: don't hit ships while attempting a k-turn, you fail to turn around and end up stressed, it suuuuucks.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 8, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Predator is really solid on him as well, since the Firespray can evade. 2 green plus evade makes it surprisingly tough, and Predator means you're not just whiffing every shot with your guns. I'm not a huge fan of cannons on Firesprays because you can't fire them backwards, but Ion is pretty cheap, sooo...

OTOH, VI means you have a chance to kill Whisper, so that's a pretty big plus side to it.

Edit: VI + Gunner, maybe? Gets you rerolls and high initiative, with his movement shenanigans might let you get some surprise shots on Whisper while it only has 2 dice to defend with?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I bought the starter set and am playing my first game on Friday. Are there any points that people argue over that I should try to avoid right off? I'm coming to X-Wing from Warhammer 40k, and that's completely normal for that game :v:

Losing your action (by running into a ship or over an asteroid) does not also prevent you shooting. Only landing on an asteroid prevents shooting completely. You can't shoot a ship you are touching. As long as your entire base fits past another ship, you suffer no penalties of any sort even if the movement template is over the base of one. All rules in the same theme, but they're also all a little different and easy to get confused.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zokie posted:

The way I understand it you get more liberty when performing a barrel roll. You use the 1-Forward template and the rules are that it has to be inside the front and back edges before and after moving. So you can scoot forward or backwards slightly if you want.

They both happen like this. Cloaking can also move you straight forwards like a boost move as well, though.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Strangely I was about to ask about this! So it's only landing on asteroids that prevent shooting AND your action. Just bumping into another ship loses your action, but you can still shoot at other guys are you that are still in range right? I guess that guy who has the ability to bump and still shoot makes sense now.

Correct!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Carteret posted:

You can talk poo poo about Fat Han lists, but sweet jesus christ I've never seen so many Corran's in one place in my life. 4 of my 5 matches today were against fat rear end Corran Horn's and some flavor of YT. The other was a BB Chewie list.

Yeah, I poked my head in for a few at the store, but I wasn't able to play today. There were a lot of Corrans, 3700 lists, and Decimators. Some dude had apparently never seen a Corran before and was receiving a rude awakening about what he does and how the FCS works.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yup, that's me!

Edit: I haven't played in a couple months, so I basically just dropped in and grabbed the Decimator they happened to have.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'd bet most of the people you play X-Wing with are ex-Magic players. There might be a lesson there.

Magic cost me more money than 40k did. And 40k was like, I dunno, more money in a year than all my X-Wing combined.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
2 green dice vs the Falcon with its perma-evade with C3PO is honestly the same survivability pretty much. Outrider edges ahead at range 3 and against poo poo like Wedge, but otherwise....

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

You can put C-3PO on a 2400, so I have no idea why you're treating that like a point in the Falcon's favor. :shrug:

Because you actually have to guess with 2 green dice, so most people don't use it, at least as far as I've seen. On one evade die, C3PO adds a lot more value than he does with two.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Gunner on Whisper is a waste of points, especially if you've got an ACD and FCS on it already. The number of times you won't get a hit with four red dice and a TL against... drat near anything are small ee fully capable of utterly loving up an uncloaked phantom (and sometimes a cloaked phantom, and you want that defensive focus).

Gunner triggers when your opponent evades your shots as well. So when you take a shot on Fel, or another rough target, you burn away their defense with one shot, then murder them on number two. Or force them to take 1 or 2 hits to avoid the risk of taking 4. Gunner Whisper is amazing.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 21, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Depends. X-wings are still very solid ships, but there's some tricks they just can't do, and some people prefer the Z-95's for cheap filler ships instead.

The only issue with running 2X/whatever else lists is that x-wings, right now, tend to get outmaneuvered by other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

It's always kind of tricky flying ships with no actions that allow movement options, because you have to be right on the money regarding your maneuver and can't adjust.

You can go crazy though and get Wedge with Engine Upgrade/PtL and a basic R2 though :v:

Yeah, that's a good point to clarify. The base X-Wing is actually fairly agile. Not as good as TIEs, but not bad. But lacking a native boost or barrel roll makes them surprisingly tough to fly, because like tekopo says, you have to be perfect, and low PS generic X-Wings have a hard time with that.

• Locked thread