Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

alg posted:

It's less interesting as you add more points. You make less choices and just take the best options.

On the other hand, I find 100 points to be boring as hell, as I haven't seen a new list at 100 pts in months.

But the thread does have a massive hard on for 100 pts and tournament play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

alg posted:

What does this mean? I'm active in a league and keep track of the competitive scene, wave 4 has been crazy for new lists and Wave 5 will be even more interesting.

At my store, I haven't seen a new list in months. It means exactly what I said. Perhaps its just my local store, but there are like...4 lists total that people bring to the store here?

I know everyone here loves 100, I find 100 points to be where its not that fun at all. Every imperial list running phantom or a tie swarm, and rebels are either double falcon or XXBB, in my experience. At 155-200+, the game just seems to open up to a lot more possibilities, and is a lot more fun imo.

Then again you have to fight crusty old Axis and Allies players tooth and nail for table space at my LGS, so most of the time we stay home and play Beer Wing.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

...But if the Imp player just flew back and forth for the whole round, he just wins from having initiative, right?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

alg posted:

Why didn't he just hold off

Jimbo posted:

A few misinformed observations about my match. First off, Richard didn’t come out of the fortress until there were 5 minutes left in the round. That’s 70 straight minutes of me flying around waiting for him to come out and fight while he sat back and smiled at me, commenting about how famous he was going to be for doing what he did. Second, the beer was my girlfriends’. I stay sober during my matches. Lastly, Whisper turned away because she moved before Wedge and Airen, and there was no way I could have known for sure if they were going to turn in to engage my TiEs, or move forward and take two shots at her, firing before she did.

I was drained mentally and emotionally and slipped up at the final turn. I didn’t want to engage until he came out in the open just based on principle. I wasn’t going to run at his silly bump brigade in the corner because I don’t support that kind of play and I wanted to have a real game.

from the comments section of that photo post

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

So add pegs onto the Decimator? Make the fucker loom over its foes!

Yeah this has been my go to solution for this problem, 3 works to get it over most ships but 4 is a bit excessive. :ohdear:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

alg posted:

Is this for real

Usually I have to go to SA-Mart to see goons tripping over themselves to rip each other off. :v:

I also played against a Firespray with the Andrasta title & 3 bombs, which was much more of a handful than I thought. I am really excited to play Scum & Villainy with the pilot that uses the 3 speed dials to drop them.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you guys regularly doing tournaments or playing? I get my money's worth but it seems like it's 40k for some of you who have large armies but never have enough time to play.

While my two (:smithicide:) WH40K armies sit in the basement, I do however play X-Wing about every other week or more. Although we always play 155+ points and none of us play in any sanctioned play.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My friend thinks I should bring this to store champs:

quote:

Dash Rendar (51)
YT-2400 Freighter (36), Veteran Instincts (1), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Dash Rendar (2), Outrider (5)

Chewbacca (49)
YT-1300 (42), Veteran Instincts (1), C-3PO (3), Lando Calrissian (3)

I like chewbacca more than han but I tend to think Dash + HLC + Outrider is too spendy.

Is this more reasonable? I suppose I could swap the crew members around in any formation, but I've really liked Lando (crew) on the YT lately.

quote:

Chewbacca (49)
YT-1300 (42), Veteran Instincts (1), C-3PO (3), Lando Calrissian (3)

Han Solo (51)
YT-1300 (46), Gunner (5)

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

Luke - Biggs - Porkins

I understand you love Jek Porkins, but I'd say this is probably a better list (or at least more my style):

Biggs Darklighter (31)
R2-F2
Stealth Device

Luke Skywalker (36)
R2-D2
Shield Upgrade

Wedge Antilles (33)
Shield Upgrade

I've just never had Porkins' ability do anything useful for me, and I think Wedge / Luke / Biggs really is the best of the available X-Wings.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 8, 2015

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Phantom is definitely the weakest matchup as Lunatic Pathos mentions, but my strategy is usually similar to what Phrosphor mentioned, hit a high value target then play keepaway with Biggs.

Admittedly, my LGS is all Sir Mix A Lot lately, everyone is running some list involving a YT in some form.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

I've had a pair of Aggressors on preorder since the title card got previewed, and I don't regret it one bit.

this also, After seeing that title card, I couldn't resist.

I also noticed this article didnt have the big picture showing off the full contents of the box laid out. weird.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

"That Guy" apparently attends my LGS, as yesterday there was a huge arguement between him and a fellow using a promo fett card.

The TO ruled that Fett could still fire off the rear arc, but this wasn't nationals or anything, just a weekend tourney. :smith:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I phone post. I don't know what resolution things are.

All the more reason to timg just in case! :v:

Re: "that guy" - I haven't played at my LGS in a while, but apparently this dude is a recent x-wing convert from 40K, and I saw him call the TO over 3 times to settle an argument between him and his opponent(s). Luckily, his outburst happened in round 1, so most people had already seen how he behaved and were prepared for him. Most of the regulars I talked to on Sunday were frustrated with him, and he actually left in a huff right before the last round.

I played Chewie + Han and went 2-2, mostly because I told myself I had to play a double YT-1300 game to justify buying that second one from b&n a month or so ago.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Gate posted:

Yeah. But, all that said, he's literally the only person out of 20, and it would be easy for me to just not play him.

I'd actually push anyone afraid of that guy to at least go to your game store once. Lurk awkwardly for a few minutes, get a feel for the crowd. So far, I've found a large majority of players to actually be super chill, even when playing in a tournament.

I just want to echo this sentiment. In this particular event, no one could avoid playing him unless they wanted to forfeit a round, but I'd never seen this dude playing in the store before, so who knows if they actually play casually with him.

But really, like 99% of the players at the store are cool, chill people, and if you can get over the fact that several are Phantom flying Imperial Scum, it's normally a good time.

The final round of the tourney had a Son playing against his Dad's Tie Swarm, and seeing the kid light up when his Assault Missles took out 3 TIEs was so adorable. :3:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Carteret posted:

Headed over to a semi-LGS today with a friend trying to pick up some Netrunner packs since he has become hooked. Saw some X-Wing on the wall, and was showing him how awesome the ships look and generally cool the game is, remarking on how I can't believe I haven't dragged all my poo poo over to his house. Cue the manager? coming over, telling my friend how much better Star Trek Attack Wing is both in gameplay and Organized Play :psyduck: My arguments about how their insane overpowered Tournament support and their rapid release schedule have ruined the game where his favorite things about it, and that is why it's better. The only disparaging remark he made about X-Wing that I could understand was how hard it is to keep in stock. I'll take product scarcity over that hot garbage WizKids calls sculpts anyday.

I still don't understand why he was trying to convert the guy I brought when I already told him we weren't from around there. He also found it hard to believe that other FLGSs in North Carolina had Armada and he didn't, sooo....

I don't know if the Star Wars / Star Trek IPs are the source of the void, but in my LGS, there's a huge divide between the people who play X-Wing & Attack Wing. Several people have sold all of their X-Wing or Attack Wing stuff to go ham into the other game. Both groups insist that theirs is the better game, and there's no actual discussion going on, ever.

:iiam:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

It's really endearing to hear you guys complain about the cards not being available separately, it's like you guys have never played an FFG product before. :3:
In other news, Scum (and Kavil) are the greatest thing since blue milk. I am really loving the S&V faction, it feels like more ruthless rebels.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

That makes no sense whatsoever, especially since literally the first EU novel ever loving published had a two-seater Y-wing without the turret.

:science: I'm sorry sir, but you seem to be referring to the "Legends" continuity, which is no longer canon.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think I like the look of this one the best, although is there any space for the most annoyingly-sized rule firing distance rule? (or whatever you call it) Obviously there isn't in the visible section in that image (aside from possibly if it sits on the top of the combartments/slots, between those and the plastic lid), although what about in that gap that's shown, between the two mirrored trays? Is there an indentation/thin compartment there that it (and/or potentially the other templates and booklets) could fit, or?

Thanks again for all the info, you lot!

I taped a freezer bag to the side of mine for my Rulebook and range ruler... though unfortunately after scum and villainy coming out, I've outgrown the case.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

If they don't require it for official events, there will be people at official events arguing it (or flat out denying they have it).

After seeing spergs at my store get into a literal shouting match over the boba fett cards and the symbol for shooting in both arcs, I'm really hoping ffg sees the light and FAQs it swiftly. Though people could not be spergs about it too. That would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Last week I had to work, so I missed the game but apparently my friends played a 400pt game, where each side fielded an epic ship (Raider and Corvette IIRC), they said it took all night but they had a blast.

I'm so angry at my co-worker for calling out while I was the one On Call. I was all packed up and ready for x wangs.

• Locked thread