Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi guys,long time player of the bad space franchise themed Flight Path game. TFA mania finally brought me on board. Gonna play casual and collect TFA-era stuff, since that's a pretty easily attainable and budget-conscious goal. I played it with my kid using stripped down rules and she kept begging me to play it again and again. Looking forward to playing against another adult.

So far I picked up a starter and one each of the T-70 and TIE/FO expansions. Have a trade lined up for the Falcon and another T-70.

Do you think they'll do the TFA-era Falcon as a full expansion with a new model, or like they did to update stuff to the Scum and Villainy faction with cards and cardboard? Asking before I clip the dish and do a mod. Any good tutorials from people who've already done such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Well at this point you pretty much own everything TFA oriented for X-Wing so mission accomplished?

So Far. There's 1-2 more things that seem likely for the FO without getting into spoilers, and an Aces-style pack isn't out of the question, and maybe they'll do new cardboard for the Falcon in there, or maybe there will be a seperate model.

I'm not opposed to classic trilogy stuff, but as a completest it's easier if I mentally firewall to "just this subset," whether that's a full faction, an era within a faction, whatever. I'm not a responsible adult so I have to use that One Weird Trick.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I disagree, and am excited to run a squadron of T-70s with hello nasty, poe, and fat beard man (pending release)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Babby's first squadron, using what I got and what I have coming in trades/gifts:

============================
Stressed Han, Juke Joint Poe
============================

100 points

Pilots
------

Han Solo (60)
YT-1300 (46), Push the Limit (3), C-3PO (3), Kyle Katarn (3), Millennium Falcon (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), BB-8 (2), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Endman posted:

Poe has no way to get an Evade Token to use Juke and Comm Relay, unfortunately.

poo poo, I forgot that wasn't on his action bar. Thanks. New and all. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Now if you swapped Kyle Katarn out for Jan Ors you might be able to make that work, though tbh it's a liiiiitle on the gimmicky side. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad, just that you're paying a fair investment in points to make that combo work. Otoh I know you're working with limited cards so I can't simply tell you "Oh, slap R5-P9 and Autothrusters on ol' Poe" and expect you to have all that.

Once a pending trade and some gifts from a friend arrive/occur, I'll have:
1 TFA Core Set
1 extra core set T-70
1 T-70 retail
2 Falcons
Crew upgrades from the Tantive IV
A Wing Xpack
B-wing half of the Aces pack
E-Wing
2 retail T-65s
1 Starter T-65
1 retail TIE/FO

There might be some extra random poo poo from the friend who gifted me one of the Falcons and the Corvette stuff, he's not sure what all is in there. I guess I mostly play Rebels/Resistance now based on the good value trades and gifts I blundered into.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Babby's second attempt at a list, that I mostly have the stuff for save having to proxy the hull upgrades. I think everything actually works like I want it to in this one, so I'll give it a try after the FLGs resumes Flightpath Fridays after the New Year.

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Wingman (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Cool Hand (1)
Weapons Guidance (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Total: 100

I'm an idiot who likes to stick to a theme to a fault. Also TIE/fo's look cool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oh, poo poo how did I miss Epsilon Leader? Yeah I liked the idea of having someone cool off Omega Ace with Wingman so he can potentially gimmick every turn without having to be predictable on his dial, but that dude has Super Wingman built in and might we worth breaking the dumb "Omega" theme for. Guess I'm buying at least one more TIE/fo expansion.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Unless I have some kind of "I hate interceptors" episode, this is likely what I'll be flying against you with.

code:
TIE Interceptor: · Soontir Fel (27)
	 Push The Limit (3)
	 Autothrusters (2)
	 Royal Guard TIE (0)
	 Stealth Device (3)
TIE Interceptor: · Turr Phennir (25)
	 Push The Limit (3)
	 Autothrusters (2)
	 Royal Guard TIE (0)
	 Stealth Device (3)
TIE Interceptor: · Tetran Cowall (24)
	 Push The Limit (3)
	 Autothrusters (2)
	 Royal Guard TIE (0)
	 Stealth Device (3)
-- TOTAL ------- 100/100p. -- 
Its not super good, but I loving love interceptors.

I was just playing around in the builder and looking at going to not inconsiderable expense to collect almost exactly this list. Looks fun AF to play and you are correct about interceptors. Curious to hear how it goes for you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm obv. not an expert, but might it be a good swap in that build to give Turr something other than PTL for a talent, like Outmaneuver, since when he's stressed you're not making use of his pilot text?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Gate posted:

You can trigger PtL off of his pilot text as well, when you do the boost or barrel roll. I'm not a huge fan of Turr personally though, it's awkward to make his ability work.

Oh, wow, I didn't think of that. That's a lot of out-of-activation slipping around if you boost off it. I like the idea of blocking someone's cock by starting the combat phase in prime getting shot territory then being someplace else entirely.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So this damage deck thing seems weird. I can just pick whichever one I prefer to use in official play? Seems like if I'm running a basic TIE swarm, I'd want to pick up the old one, but if I'm running something with a bunch of good pilots maybe the new one will save me the Injured Pilot crit?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kind of agree. It doesn't really seem like an interesting choice if it's one that's binary and pre-solved.

If they're worried about "making" people buy the TFA starter box, they could offer a redemption program where you mail in card X/33 from your orig tridge starter and they mail you the new deck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe it's because I'm coming from The Bad Spaceship Flightpath Game where they used screengrabs for everything, but I prefer the original art to photos. I hope they do another alt poe that's actually "painted."

I think I might have to pick up the alt fel if I do this 3-interceptor build in earnest, it's pretty nice lookin'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

admanb posted:

R2-D2 comes in the core set. It's like $15 on eBay.

R2-D2 has an astromech version and a crew version, the latter of which comes in the Tantive IV pack.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope the inevitable TFA "Aces" pack has a couple more Integrated Astromechs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I could see a "Resistance TIE/SF" in the inevitable Aces pack with a Poe pilot and Finn crew.

Rey's YT-1300 should have pilot text that lets you turn revealed maneuvers into stalls.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rey: "If you are not stressed, during the activation phase when revealing your maneuver dial you may ignore the chosen maneuver and perform a [stall] maneuver. If you do so, place a stress token next to your ship." :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Each ship takes an action after moving during the activation phase. So Omega Ace reveals his dial, moves his ship, then declares and executes his action on "7," Poe reveals his dial, moves his ship, and declares and performs his action on "8" for example.

Veteran Instincts is good because it raises your piloting skill and makes you more likely to activate last and respond to your opponent and shoot first. Push The Limit is good because it lets you perform 2 actions rather than one during your activation phase.

Custom re-paints are kosher, however according to the "official" rules actually modifying the model is not. I'd put money on a future "The Force Awakens Aces" style set that gives us an "official" Black One T-70.

I'll leave the build advice to the people with more experience, but Autothrusters seems like a good starting point. Conventional wisdom seems to be that BB-8 actually isn't the best astromech choice for Poe. :smith:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 28, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

Okay, so cool. So "Push the Limit" lets you take a free action whenever you would normally do an action, once per turn; and BB-8 lets you do a free Barrel Roll action after revealing but before you actually move as long as it's a green maneuver. So because of how the turn "stack" works, Poe can have a green maneuver pre-picked on the dial, then:
- Barrel Roll for free, even though the X-Wing normally cannot Barrel Roll
- Use Push The Limit to do one of Poe's normal actions, like Boost or Focus, and gain 1 stress
- Actually do his maneuver, which must be green to trigger BB-8's ability, which means he loses 1 stress
- Now that he's back to zero stress he can do another action, like Boost again?

If so, that seems really good? Like Boost is already wrecking faces in the core set games we've been trying to play because I've been using Blue Ace and Poe to constantly loop around the TIEs essentially for free.

E: I am a huge idiot, and this works almost exactly like you said. I thought BB8 triggered on executing the maneuver, not revealing it. It's drat good. EXCEPT: You cannot perform the same action twice in the same round, so no double boosting.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 28, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yep, doubling up on the same action is forbidden per the main rule book. Hello Nasty is crazy maneuverable, too. He can boost off a Talon Roll because of his text, which can put him in some interesting positions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Carteret posted:

It's also worth noting that, with the few exceptions of 3 big fuckoff models, it almost always makes more sense to buy the pack the card comes in than going to ebay because 1) you get a sweet rear end model as a bonus and 2)you don't really save that much on ebay to begin with.

Saying that, If you keep liking this game you'll end up like the rest of us with 3 big rear end models sitting on your shelf looking awesome and getting zero play because HOLY poo poo cool spaceships.

As someone coming into it new and pricing things out, I'm starting to notice this. Like, authothrusters are running 6-8 bucks as a single. Or I could buy the Starviper for $13 from Coolstuffinc, and it includes two of them, plus a ship I'm not jazzed about and all the other upgrades, but hey, for an extra dollar (or possibly even cheaper than getting them as singles), why not? If nothing else I can foist the diminished expansions onto a friend as a "freebie."

As someone who's jazzed about both the T-70s and TIE Intercepters, I'm gonna need me some Autothrusters.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's the best robot trash can to put in the back of a Horton TLT Y-Wing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hi guys, I'm an idiot with a silly gimmick list:

"Wampa" (14)
Stealth Device (3)

Captain Oicunn (42)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Darth Vader (3)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Shadow Squadron Pilot (27)
Saboteur (2)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Does a bunch of damage and crits to your space ships without even really needing to hit you with lasers, while Vader helpfully pulls the Decimator apart for you and the pilot just rams it into your ships like a a Wisconsin driver at bar time. Wampa hides behind the VT-49 and hopes the 5 dice keeps him alive (it won't). The Phantom tries to roll up and sabatage Wampa's damage into bad crits (you already shot him down with turrets.)

Thanks for reading my dumb gimmick list.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Got a quote?

FAQ page 13:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9d/df/9ddf0774-9bbc-4eab-89bf-01a9c4ef7eca/x-wing-faq.pdf

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Are we still spoilering TFA stuff/speculation? I still think some kind of "aces" style pack with the Black One paintjob is a shoe-in down the line. Maybe with that small heavilly modified B-Wing shuttle design. It doesn't matter that Poe was in the core set. For one, there's room in the design space for variant versions of a unique named character, with plenty of pilot/crew or astromech/crew. There's even precedent for two variant versions of a unique named pilot (Hera Syndulla).

Even if they don't do another Poe, there's precedent for doing the guy's special paintjob without him even if the guy was in an unadorned expansion ship already. Soontir was in the plain Jane Tie Interceptor expansion, but to field him in his iconic blood striped Interceptor you either needed a steady hand with a brush or to pick up the Aces pack.

I'm confident enough we're going to see Black One down the line I'm not going to bother doing my own repaint. I don't need two of 'em.

I'm about 50/50 on whether the Falcon is going to be a cardboard component pack-in like with S&V, or a new model with the dish mod. I'm maybe leaning a bit more towards the model, because they know we'll buy it.

Hell, when there was a niche without a canonical/EU ship FFG got with Disney/LFL and made one, so I doubt they're not going to exploit every possible angle to get toot toot on the Force Awakens Money Train.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

2 Attack, 3 Agility, 3 Hull, 1 Shield, action bar has evade, barrel roll, focus, target lock, same dial as the TIE/fo, add auxiliary fire arc, missile upgrade slot, cannon upgrade slot. No PS 1 pilot, 20 points for PS 2.

Yeah definately auxiliary arc rather than full turret. Sure maybe it can technically traverse 360, but we all remember how that worked out for Dr. Henry Jones Sr.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Deviant posted:

:eng101: Guidance Chimps.

I am going to trade for these until I have enough to equip entire flights of TIE bombers for epic play, and will never ever call them by their correct name.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Run that in epic play, IMO. "I got this sweet Imperial Raider that I'm gonna-- ...aaaand it's dead."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Had my first game today! Flew Soontir, Carnor, and Lorrir against a pair of Opportunist TIE Defenders armed with Heavy Laser Cannons. I flew pretty well, I thought--only hit an asteroid once, and was generally able to keep the Defenders in arc. The HLCs were absolutely brutal, though, especially with the generally poor rolls I was having; they stripped Carnor and Soontir of their stealth devices in short order, and on one particularly disastrous roll Carnor blew up in a single volley. Still, I had one of the Defenders down to 2 hull, and the other down to 1 when Soontir finally ate it (and that was only after he missed killing the one-hull Defender).

God drat this is a good game.

Interceptor Aces owns.

I wanna try this one out, because in theory not only does it give you a pretty strong hedge against whiffed defense rolls, but it gives you an auto-crit on turns you fully arc-dodged. Captain Yorr can potentially help mitigate stress hogs. Plus the whole thing is so drat thematic you're basically putting a scenario on the table even though it's constructed play.

Captain Yorr (24)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Turr Phennir (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

[/url]

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Seems unlikely IMO, but folks have done it as a custom. Here's one from the mods and repaints FB group:

Wet it up (your paint brush).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

They do release card fixes but there isn't really a great one for x-wing yet (it really needs to be able to reposition via barrel rolling or boosting somehow). Integrated astromech was made but you might as well use it for the superior T-70 x-wing. Also, a warning that any card fixes will be attached to a model you may or may not purchase. Rumor has it this is because Disney will crack down on them if they ever release card-only packs as this is a "miniatures game."

Don't they literally have an LCG though?

I feel like Integrated Astromech might be more a T-65 fix than a T-70 boost, since it feels like often as not T-70's want autothrusters? IDK I'm hardly an expert at this point.

Jek Porkins with Expert Handling and R5-D8? :shrug:

They could always handle it with a title that gives it the ol' block upgrade, I guess. Wookieepedia tells me there were like at least half a dozen variants. From "T-65A1" to T-65J."

Anyway I've only gotten a few games (aside from my daughter who always wants to play and I'm glad of it even though it's not the same), but it's nice to hear about a diverse meta. I'm coming from the Bad SciFi Franchise Flight Path Game where for a year the meta was solved around a pretty much identical list because of terrible design. I wasted years and loads of cash on that stupid thing only to come into this one late and realize I'd basically been playing the Fan Fiction version of a flightpath game.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 4, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In theory I'd think a swarm that spent a couple points more per ship might have an advantage over a swarm that went all bare bones academy pilots or w/e, what with getting to focus fire before being answered.

But since you're not sure what's going to be across the table and there's no difference between PS4/5 and PS1/2 if you end up facing triple aces or whatever, that kind of goes out the window.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ranbo das posted:

And then I realized why Vader and auto thrusters kept bugging me. Mother. Fucker.

He was altering the rules. Pray he does not alter them further.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Couldn't find it in the rules and curious to know:

In an "official" according-to-Hoyle competitive event, are ship maneuver profiles open knowledge? As in am I allowed to have a reference of them at the table like the ones that come in the clamshell... or is it like Heroclix where I'm expected to memorize dials?

As a huge moron, I would find the latter challenging.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ouch. Maths tells me 5 blanks is a ~3% occurance. Are you sure this isn't confirmation bias?

Anyway...

Guidance Chimps? Sheev Quentin Palpatine? New dice?

E; f,b on Palpy, but seriously don't you want to bump a die over to an evade/crit, announce that everything is proceeding as you have forseen, and cackle maniacally?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Specifically Vader/Gunner in a Decimator. Don't care about rolling well to hit because I want to be vadering twice a round anyway. Don't care about rolling well in defence because... well, 0 agility.

Here's a variation on a gimmick build I posited a couple pages ago where you can do all kinds of nonsense without even caring how you roll.

"Wampa" (14)

Captain Oicunn (42)
Ruthlessness (3)
Gunner (5)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Palpy can let Wampa deal a face down damage card every turn. Ram them with the Decimator, shoot something, hope you miss, vader a crit to it, gunnershoot it, maybe hit? Vader a second crit to it. Issard tries to keep it from going down too fast after Vader starts wrecking it for crits.

It's stupid and will lose, but at least you can almost entirely biff your rolls and still do damage.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was going to look to trade for one or more Crack Shots ahead of Tomax Bren, but then I saw that they actually included the almost auto-include upgrade in the same expansion with him. Thanks, FFG.

I also feel like there might be some kind of hay to be made with "Cool Hand" with that dude, but maybe I'm just wrong.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I just found what I need to paint on my decimator:

Nose art pin-up, or kill tally marker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I need Kylo's command shuttle fiercely. FFG PLEASE

Kylo Ren (-5 SP, Crew upgrade)
"Whenever you perform an attack that fails to damage the defender, either discard one [SYSTEM], [MODIFICATION] or [CREW] upgrade; or suffer 2 damage. This card has a negative squadron point value."

• Locked thread