Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Oh my god, Hutt Solo is everything I've ever wanted to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
We've house ruled that to go from personal to planetary scale is only a factor of 5 instead of 10. It makes the anti-vehicle stuff a much more attractive option and lets you shoot speeder bikes with plain old blasters like in the movies. It also makes some of the smaller vehicle blasters closer to their personal counterparts. I think it's the quickest way to deal with that, but yeah, the interaction between personal and planetary scale is wonky. Having the two different scales makes it nice when you're doing one or the other, so you don't have to keep track of a bajillion vehicle hp, but I wish they had found a better way of going between them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that's true.

Also, pretty much all players would be locking into playing as either an Ace, Gunner or Squad Leader, wouldn't they? I've never played a game where everyone is the same class and I dunno how fun that would be.

I mean granted, the Rebels have A-Wings, B-Wings, X-Wings and Y-Wings and that would differentiate people a little but I dunno.

I imagine this is why they released Stay On Target first, so that there's some more options for a diverse cast of fighter jocks. I think the system lends itself well to a Wraith Squadron style game, where there's sweet dogfights, but also some infiltration and shooting stormtroopers and stuff. That way there's an incentive for players to maybe start with an Ace career and then branch out to something else.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Do you remember what career you have? I'm guessing your specialization is Pilot, but is that from the Ace career or the Smuggler? If you're an Ace, I would look into the Gunner specialization if you think you'll be doing more of that than anything. I almost think it might be better for you to be the pilot, though, considering your character is a, uh, pilot. See if someone else wants to take over gunning duties.

As far as talent choice goes, as long as you're sticking with your theme, it's hard to go wrong. I like to pick a lot of the active talents, because they give you some cool narrative control. All of the Pilot's active talents are sweet, even the really early one, Full Throttle. Pick stuff that makes your duder kickin rad, don't worry about min maxing or whatever.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Major Isoor posted:

Alright cool, it's good to see min-maxing isn't an issue/required. And yeah, my ace specialization is piloting (space specifically, but both have the same amount/types of dice in the end), so I might get that 'full throttle' one, if you recommend it. Is it better/worse for a freighter though, if we're going to be flying as slow as a wet weekend, regardless?

Also, the backup pilot's not bad; they've got three yellow dice (no greens), so they're only slightly worse than me - however I think the most other people have in gunnery is two greens, unfortunately. It's a slightly tricky situation we're in, there. I don't suppose there's some kind of 'IFF auto-targeting' add-on you can get for ship turrets that make gunners obsolete/unnecessary, is there?

EDIT: ^^^ Alright, well that's good in a sense then, since I initially wasn't sure about whether I should get a fourth point in agility right off the bat or not, but I'm glad I did, now.

EDIT EDIT: Oh also, on the topic of that cutlass again, what's the recommended base amount of dice for being able to hold your own (on occasion/in emergencies, at least) in melee combat? Since at the moment I've got 1Y1G, although I'm not sure if that's adequate, or if I should raise it to 2Y, then more-or-less never touch that skill/stat again. (I suppose at least unless that, too, is too low!)

So Full Throttle is pretty good on freighters too, maybe a bit more narratively than in straight up combat. But if you're trying to get away from some Star Destroyers you can do that, up your top speed, then yell at your copilot "[not-chewie], punch it!" and get the hell out of dodge.

I don't have my rulebooks with me right now, but if I remember, there is a ship attachment to make gunnery checks easier, but I almost want to just recommend one of you picking a different spec or giving your DM a wink-wink, nudge-nudge, we should have two ships. Maybe you could take on some more obligation, like your fighter is stolen or you had to go into debt or something.

As far as melee goes, you'll do ok with that pool. There's always destiny points, too. You won't be a beast, but you'll be able to hit things and kill minions no problem. Melee scales in a strange way, what with your damage being so tied to your Brawn score, so specializing will pay off more, but more with ability than skill points.

But really, just pick cool stuff that lets you do cool things. Don't worry about doing things you're not super good at, failure in this game is just as fun as success, and sometimes even more fun. One of the best encounters my group has had involved a Brawn 1 Drall Scholar blindly swinging a cane in the dark at some Hutt goons.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Hey, does anybody have a better vehicle sheet than the one from FFG? I've done a lot of googling, but can't seem to find one that's any different. I'd really like a place to put critical hits down, and maybe some more detail for the cargo space, encumbrance and rarity/legal status.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
A game where the PCs are a garrison on some sleepy backwater dealing with local criminals and the nonsensical orders from their Moff about "curtailing resistance" could be pretty fun. Basically "Troops: the Campaign".

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

KittyEmpress posted:

I want to make a droid character in Age of Rebellion, but I was told by the GM that droids tend to kinda suck at everything. Is that true? How do I make a droid who sucks less?

They seem to start with lots of XP, but since they start with all stats at one, they're sorta subpar compared to how every other race gets less XP but starts with tons of 2s and some 3s.

I'm the only noob in the group, and everyone else has reasonably good/pretty powerfully made characters since they know the system. Should I just skip on droid and make something else, at least for a first character?

Droids are more specialized, but not necessarily worse. If you buy an additional 5 xp at character creation, you can end up with 4-3-2-2-1-1 in your stats, which is totally workable. You've got some cool narrative abilities; immunity to disease, poison, suffocation, all that jazz. Repairing yourself is easier than organics using medicine on themselves, Emergency Repair patches are somewhat worse than stimpaks, but you can use as many of them as you need, and the ability to have gear built in is pretty useful. You'll never have to roll Vigilance to see if you remembered your toolkit or left it on the ship. You also get 4 more skills at character creation, which is a lot; it's worth at least 20 xp, or more if you're doubling up. Also, droids are fun and rad, so go crazy.

So, my group is starting up an AoR campaign with some space combat, and I've been looking at Gain the Advantage and I'm not really satisfied with it. I'm thinking of houseruling it to last until the other ship also gains the advantage rather than til the end of the next round, and letting you ignore the penalties/gain the benefits of Stay on Target as well as Evasive Maneuvers. Thoughts?

e. It's Gain the Advantage, stupid.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, I'm picking up my copy of Nal Hutta right now. I could probably answer a few questions in a bit, if anyone is interested.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Major Isoor posted:

Sort of like a mini "Leto Atreides II" (in the early worm days anyway, before he got too big) I suppose, minus the ability to see into the future.

Why stop there? Dump the rest of your xp into Foresee :v:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yessss. My FLGS is going to hold a copy for me, I can't wait. I hope we get some more cool light freighters; I'm a total sucker for not-Falcons.

I wonder what the non-career books for AoR will be. I doubt they'd be sector related like EotE, but I can't think of what else they might cover. Organizations or military arms? Rebel Navy, Specforce, etc?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
That would be great. I really like the design of the Ghost, even the Kenner toy butt-shuttle. I'm guessing it would be a slower, beefier YT-1300 statwise. Order 66 (and I'm pretty sure our own goon CroatianAlzheimers?) statted it out on an episode, but I think that was before the show came out and they underestimated its size.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If a talent is unranked, you are always counted as having it, so you can skip over it in a tree if you already have it. It's kind of an obscure rule, but it's there.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Remember, Star Wars has rad princesses. They, too, shoot fuckin' lasers.

E. Holy poo poo I just realized Leia is now a Disney Princess.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I asked this further up the thread, but I'll ask it again. Does anybody have a better vehicle sheet than the default? There's no space for critical hits, and I've searched high and low for an alternative sheet with no luck.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Which ships are available for a starting Edge party?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
That's one of the few good parts of the prequels.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I bet the chin turret is stock too. Or maybe the bubble turret is "definitely not designed for aftermarket weapon additions, no sir, we follow all Imperial regulations."

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I've never used roll20, but on Mondays I'm free as a bird.

E. Phoneposting. Bird does not have an f in it.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 5, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Probably the original fluff, which is the Han Solo Adventures trilogy which dates to 1979. The EU is as old as the movies, really.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I've never been able to make it through a full viewing. Planning another attempt with more friends and booze.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Imagined posted:

When you say "original trilogy" I don't think you mean the same thing I mean when I say "original trilogy". FFG's CEO says he hates the "prequels". Personally, I don't know what he's talking about. There's been nothing since 1983. Must be a Youtube thing.

Yeah, Lucas was going to make Episodes I-III in the late 90s, but he got caught up in some alternate universe thing and then sold the franchise.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
X-post from SWTOR thread, cause this is why I'm psyched for Armada:

Hulk Smash! posted:

Only tangentially related to SWTOR: Some dude hand made a Japanese-style short animated film based on the TIE Fighter games. 7 mins of neat animation and weird music choices await you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

When wave 2 hits, I'm gonna run ImpStar + TIE swarm no matter if it's good or not.

E: this was not the ffg star wars thread I was looking for. Still a rad video, though

FishFood fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 25, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, basically every check should have both boost and setback dice on them, and evrry roll should be a handful.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Swags posted:

I was thinking of taking the intro adventure to Tabletop Day tomorrow and see if I could maybe get a few people interested in a game. Do you guys know of any good starter sheets/starter characters that're quick to print out? I don't really want to end up having to design a bunch of characters or anything, and I don't quite know where my starter pamphlets are.

FFG has premades here. As far as cheat sheets, check their forums; a guy named hooly has a bunch of really good ones. Phoneposting, or else I'd dig them up for you.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I actually think FFG's stuff hasn't been classified yet. It's all in limbo right now. It draws from Legends stuff primarily, but so does Rebels, and I don't think any of FFG's stuff has the Legends logo on it.

e. clarity

FishFood fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 11, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

jivjov posted:

Rebels is part of the new Story Group canon, not Legends.

I know. My point was that it draws on a lot of Legends canon just like FFGs books.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The prequel films do a worse job explaining the backstory of the original trilogy than the ot does itself. The offhand mentions of things from that era are evocative, and make sense in context. Yoda trained Obi-wan, Obi-wan trained Vader, Vader was seduced by the dark side while fighting in the clone wars. Simple, perfect, done. The prequels are just so loving terrible. Yoda says the 20-something Luke is too old to train, now even 10 year olds are too old. 1000 generations becomes 1000 years. And since when do people name wars after their own army? We call it the Vietnam War, not the US Military War. The worst is how Lucas' bitter divorce made him go against the very spirit of the OT by plotting out his lovely "love makes you evil" fall of Vader.

The only way to watch Star Wars is episodes 4, 5, 6 in that order.

ANYWAYS, the AoR campaign my group is in right now is heavy on Space combat. We've got two Aces, an astro droid (me), and a Commodore. While the vehicle combat isn't perfect and I wish positioning was a little clearer, it's been working for us. The only thing I would change is to make Gain the Advantage a little better (we've made it last until cancelled) and make the various maneuvers more specific in how they work via facing. I think the intent is for that stuff to be resolved narratively, but it doesn't mesh super well with the system as is.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Covok posted:

Lucas went through a messy divorce before writing the prequels? That explains a lot. A little too much, actually.

Yeah, he and Marcia Griffin divorced right around the time Jedi was wrapping. From what I understand, she's one of the (many) unsung creators of the Original Trilogy. She's credited as an editor, but from what I've heard she played a big part in the creative process too. After their divorce, George kinda became a hermit until he made the prequels. He produced the Indy movies and I think some other stuff, but when you think about the prequels in the context of his divorce, it all makes a lot of sense.

And I'm pretty sure the Parsecs line is an admitted goof and that they just chose a word that sounded spacey. Just adds to the charm for me; that real people who make mistakes made this cool as gently caress movie. The silliness of the EU explanations are fun too.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It's definitely a plot armor thing. In the original they're built up to be pretty deadly, they take over the blockade runner with ease, massacre jawas and Luke's family. They're pretty consistently shown as a force to run away from until Jedi.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

FISHMANPET posted:

My players are having some trouble with space combat. The shooty people understand how to shoot the guns, and the social characters understand their lot in life, but actually my pilot(s) are feeling underwhelmed. Specifically the Pilot asked "what can I do" and my answer was... not very much? There doesn't seem to be much as far as actual pilot checks to be made during space combat. One of the players suggested we try and run it a little slower, so we're more precise about speeds, ranges, facings, etc, and to get some minis or models or something.

So FFG has a minis game, but that's pretty expensive, and also I'm limited to whatever FFG has produced. There are Wizards Starship Battles minis I can find online, which is cheaper, but same problem of being limited to what I can get. I don't wanna go so abstract and just pick up a random object like a drink coaster and say "this is your YT-1300." Does anyone have any idea? I have a printer, I could print something out, but I don't think I'd want to just find pictures of the ships and print them out, would I?

Vehicle/space combat is definitely the weakest part of the game, but it can still be fun. First thing, is that, oddly enough, space combat should never be in a vacuum. There should always be terrain of some sort or something complicating it, like an objective or something. The back of Stay on Target has some great ideas for that. I also recommend listening to this Order 66 episode, good stuff. Keeping track of facing and all that makes the combat more interesting, in my opinion, and makes all the shield shenanigans more worth it. I do recommend houseruling Gain the Advantage somehow, like making it last more than 1 round or turning it into a maneuver. It will still be wonky, but our campaign right now is pretty space-combat focused and we've made it work pretty well with just that change.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Does anybody know what the implied timescale of Force and Destiny will be? Obviously it will be flexible, but I'm curious if there will be info on what's going on between VI and VII.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Looks cool, but what I really want is the next Edge book. Bounty hunter needs some love and technician means more sweet gadgets.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So my session yesterday was rad as hell and I had to share it. I've been GMing and one of my players expressed some interest in picking up the reins so I decided to finish this one arc before switching out. The group are working for a slightly-more-reputable-than-usual Hutt and were on Nar Shaddaa beating up on some pirates/swoop gangs. They had just won a swoop race and had infiltrated the gang's base, and were tasked with disrupting a shipment of spice the gang was about to receive. Natually, they decide to hijack the speeder carrying the shipment, plant a baradium charge into it, and run it into the gang's base. The hijacking goes relatively smoothly (although they don't dispatch the guards and driver very cleanly) and it comes time to plant the charge. It's an easy check and our droid doesn't have mechanics, but he does have 5 intelligence. I decide to make it interesting and upgrade it. Everyone is a little tense, but I comment that it's only a one in twelve chance that the baradium blows up.

It blows up.

The droid is (somehow, relatively) unscathed but one of my players loses a hand and another one gets hamstrung. Everyone laughed and cheered and one player is super excited to get a cool cyber-hand. I love this game so much.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

homullus posted:

I am not saying the Jedi can/should beat massed blasters. I am saying they can deflect many -- note that original trilogy Luke also deflects real blaster fire rapidly in the sail barge fight -- and (with their intelligence, coordination, and literal prescience) just avoid the "too many blasters" of Geonosis-like scenarios. We're talking about this because I don't agree with Kai Tave's suggestion that George Lucas made a hash of the Jedi by giving them flaws. Lucas had to Iron Chef something that gets him to the point of Episode IV, and the ingredients are:

- there used to be more Jedi
- "Clone Wars" of some kind
- there is no army of Jedi-equivalent bad guys who could have hunted them down (Vader's "sorcerer's ways" and Obi-Wan's "hokey religion" mean there aren't lots of either)
- Jedi can deflect blaster bolts, have telekinesis, can see the future in limited ways, can influence weak minds, can shoot lightning (maybe), and can super flip and jump
- Darth Vader both "betrayed and murdered" Luke's dad, and is his dad
- there was a Senate, and an Emperor takes power, leaving the Senate intact for decades

I don't see how you have Anakin "betray" Luke's father and the Jedi without giving flaws to both Anakin and the Jedi. Anakin needs to have been a good guy at some point to be "a good friend" and for the shift to be considered a betrayal, and Obi-Wan and the Jedi need to be blind or somehow unable to repair their relationship -- something needs to keep them from doing that, and inflexibility is a good candidate given the ossified Republic. I don't think having the Jedi propping up an inadequate status quo in the Republic was the only way he could have gone, but I also think the way he went with it was one of the most economical in terms of the ingredients he had.

Yeah, I think the overall arc of the prequels is fine: Old Republic is corrupt and ossified, devastating (possibly civil) war happens, Emperor seizes power and crushes opposition with help of disgruntled ex-Jedi. A nice dark space-fantasy twist on the transition of the Roman Republic to the Dominate. It's the details that are lovely: Anakin has bad dreams and rejects everything he's ever stood for to save his wife from a hypothetical threat? What about he wants more power to fight the war he's in, or he starts to think the ends justify the means? A clone army appears out of nowhere and everyone is ok with it? How about a clone army appears out of nowhere, causing a crisis and leading to people being drafted en masse to fight said army, causing untold grief throughout the galaxy?

All of our campaigns have so far been set in the era of the Original Trilogy and we've used a similarly modified background and it works great. It lets us use whatever droids/guns or whatever from the prequels, but gives a lot more character hooks. Makes the Clone Wars and the transition into the Empire feel bigger and like it effected everyone, not just the few elites who were involved in the actual movies.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

signalnoise posted:

I think that those solutions are less representative of Yoda's warnings and could more easily be jedi-like qualities. In my mind at least sith vs jedi is less evil vs good and more passion vs control. Fear and paranoia are better cracks in the jedi sense of control and fear leads to anger blah blah blah

That's true, but only of the Jedi portrayed in the prequels. But if you scrap those movies and start over from scratch, I believe my version is more compelling and fits the OT Jedi better, not to mention making the Anakin>Darth Vader transition actually believable. I guess I just prefer my Jedi as guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic, rather than stupid emotionless crazy boring superhero monks.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Kai Tave posted:

The ultimate issue is that the prequel treatment of the Jedi makes them out to be distant, boring, clueless, and kinda dicks, and it's hard to care about "The Tragic Fall of the Jedi Knights and the Rise of Darth Vader" when that's the case.

This is my point, only better and more succinct.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Drone is right.

Also FFG Star Wars RPGs are good, I like the species they added for the F&D adventure, four eyed bird people are cool and good.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The Marshal rules. More games need abilities called Good Cop/Bad Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm pretty sure you can get a signature ability as long as you have an in-career specialization with the proper slots filled. If you have a Colonist tree with all four bottom talents checked, I think you could get one of the abilities even if your initial career was bounty hunter.