Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just picked up AoR CRB and the starter game on a lark at my FLGS's pre inventory sale. Any good videos to recommend that will help me watch a game being played? That's usually more useful to me learning thru technical writing.

Mildly annoyed wookiees of all things are in a seperate sixty dollar book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Malthusian posted:

Serious question: Is radiation even a thing in Star Wars though?

I assume Han wasn't making up the very concept of radiation on the fly when he was fast talking that dude over the Death Star intercom.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So I downloaded that popular character builder, and directing me to a page number in a million different books for every single option so I know what I'm looking at isn't exactly the best user experience. I guess having it be better featured would be :filez: ?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jivjov did you ever get my electonic mail about the character thing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I had a decent one from the defunct Star Wars Gamer mag, but no idea what happened to it. That makes this a must-buy for me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The prices for small arms seem fine, but as you scale up things feel a little cheap. It's a bit weird when you think about the fact that in the real world like a single AIM-9 Sidewinder missile costs a half million.

Maybe generations of constant galactic warfare where militaries numbering in the trillions had to be armed and equipped have created a surplus not unlike one of those bazaars in the Sudan where you can trade a hen for a kalishnikov or whatever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the US a lower to middle ranked officer pulls in considerably less than the median national salary. And that's in a standing army of a superpower that doesnmn't experience the kind of disruptions and shortfalls you'd expect of an insurrectionist movement.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bad news about that bachelor officer quarters we were gonna put you up in on Alderaan.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Are there write ups for First Order Stuff?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

"Is it true to get into the 501st you gotta cut off a rebels ear?"

"We can all agree there have been many excellent wookiee podracers."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Splicer posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of in-universe "Welcome to sunny Tattooine!"-style info sheets.

It's Always Sunny On Tatooine.

The Gang Buys Used Robots.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Splicer posted:

Darkside
Nooooooo
Fighters of the Lightside
Nooooooo
Champion of the Sith
Nooooooo
You're the master of the Deathstar
With force chokes
For everyone

Think about it. She’s out in the middle of space with some Sith she barely knows. She looks around her, what does she see? Nothing but cold vacuum. “Oh, there’s nowhere for me to run, what am I gonna do, say no?”

‘Cause if the girl said no, then the answer obviously is no. The thing is that she’s not gonna say no, she’d never say no…because of the implication.

...The implication that things might go wrong for her if she refuses to give up the location of the Rebel base. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for her, but she’s thinking that they will.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Well, they'll need to fake catastrophic reactor leaks or somehow convince the Imperials to abandon ship, then figure how to run the thing with nothing but a skeleton crew. They can either sell it to the rebels or start their own pirate fleet.

It would be more convincing if thet just up and caused the leak.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

'Uhm, that's like, fifty thousand people being killed, i am not doing that'.

LOL. Is your game set pre-Yavin?

*Has a crisis of conscience about the millions of lives on the Death Star, aborts his trench run.*

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's their Motivation/ideology/grievance anyway?

People don't just turn terrorist for the joy of terrorism, generally speaking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I probably don't have to tell this thread that Rogue One is real good.

"Where are you taking these prisoners?"
*K2SO rolls a threat and a dispair on Deception.*
"They are... Prisoners!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I will say as I'm gearing up to figure out the game a bit by running the AOR Beginner Box scenario for my nascent group, it really has a strong "dungeon crawl" vibe. A good GM can of course elevate any material and this does give you a few little places you can make a few flourishes, but as written it really feels in the "clear the subterranian orc hovel at the behest of the old man from the tavern" mold. Search and replace dungeon for imperial base and orcs for imperial troops.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's a good starting point to reskin for a U Wing if I want my players to tool around in one? I'm thinking Lambda?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Duty and starting resources are weird.

So my 3 player party starts with 15 duty each, which if they don't spend down makes them basically like colonel equivalent going by the chart later in the book? I think I'll just mandate they must XP swap down to 5 or fewer to start with.

And 500 spacebucks worth of gear seems like, barefoot Confederate conscript dangerously ill equipped. I am gonna go with "a rifle and/or pistol with up to one sensible attachment, and whatever is reasonable for your MOS."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Clearly I need to reread that bit. They still need more space cash tho.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thelazyblank posted:

You can trade Duty for spacebucks as well, can't you? I know you can trade it for more Obligation in EotE.

True. Just seems like a sucker's bargain to trade for something as transitory as gear versus XP, so I'd save them from it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Double check my work: Does anything in Takeover at Whisper Base break if I set it shortly Pre-Battle of Yavin? (to tie some poo poo to come when I'm more comfortable freeballing with the system into Rogue One)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That was... really fun!

I was expecting us to take a while to read dice pools and get a handle on everything but we picked up the basics fairly quick, even the folks who only ever played D&D years ago. And the system is amenable to just making some poo poo up on the fly rather than looking up chapter and verse. "He shoots into the cockpit... no successes, but three advantage. You duck out of the way of the blast, but the controls are fried." And that poor janitor-bot. He was supposed to be the big "teach us about social encounters" opportunity but he just got gunned down instantly. Space 40 on the curb.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I ain't gettin' on no starship, and I ain't drinkin' no blue milk-- I remember last time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

*folds arms* Alright FFG, give us the stats for Baze's repeater and Chirrut's crossbow

Same but U Wings and TIE Strikers.

My "headcanon" is that deathtroopers are no better than regular storm troopers but Krennic is enough of a pretentious dipshit to feel like he merits a special honor guard. It's like how Ghadaffi had his bodyguard of sexy ninja babes, only less cool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of my players gifted me Strongholds of Rebellion. Looks like it has some fun ideas. He strongly hinted that he'd like to see "Defiant Core Base," a partially reclaimed crashed Seperatust derilect supercapital ship. I'm game... Apropos of absolutely nothing, where could a guy find stats for B1 and B2 Battle Droids?

I have another player who expressed an interest in playing a Jedi, but when I explained for the purposes of AoR it was not a starting point but a lofty and dangerous goal she kind of shied away to be a regular fighter ace. I'm thinking of just foisting the Emergent specialization on her for free later in the campaign and tying her awakining into the story, and letting it be up to her what she does with her Force sensitivity, including refusing the call.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Enhance Ace is good poo poo. If she never wants to pick up a lightsaber add on Warrior Starfighter Ace and just be the baddest motherfucker ever to don a flightsuit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Making a character for someone new to RPG's in general but interested in trying and hanging out with us, and only casually familiar with The Star Wars. We of course plan to make sure to show her all four movies, plus the one prequel when it's out on video.

I did show her the career list from AoR and she settled on an Agitator to start with, which I plan to stat up for her so she can just roll dice and have fun. That kind of character sort of demands a context to work from though-- does the following seem like it would be more or less intelligible to her?

You were born on the planet KUAT. Your family was a wealthy and influential heir to one of the consortium companies that make up KUAT DRIVE YARDS, the shipbuilding conglomerate that supplies the GALACTIC EMPIRE with the bulk its massive Navy.

You grew up accustomed to a life of leisure on the pristine surface of the planet, enjoying private gardens and exclusive prep schools, while above the gargantuan facility that formed an artificial ring around the planet ceaselessly churned out materiel for the Empire’s war machine.

When you left home to study at Kuat City University, you became particularly interested in the history of the Galaxy, reading between the heavily censored lines to realize the Republic afforded freedoms to the oppressed laborers and excluded aliens that the Empire did not. While these unfortunates were not part of your daily life, you nevertheless sought them out and began organizing them against the Empire’s oppression.

Your family name insulated you for a time from the consequences of speaking out against the Empire, you went too far in attempting to mobilize a work stoppage of the shipyards that supplied the regime in exchange for concessions in the form better working conditions and a pledge to reign in the oppression the Star Destroyers were put to. You found yourself suddenly disowned by your family and in the custody of the sinister IMPERIAL SECURITY BUREAU. The last three months of your life have been spent at the work camp on WOBANI--your life of comfort replaced with long days consisting only of reeducation holovids, bland ration bars, and back-breaking labor…

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 12, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

You appear to be missing some films here.

I wouldn't call it missing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

I mean...you can elect to not show her the prequel trilogy if you don't want to...but to pretend they don't exist at all is silly.

Well she has seen "some of" the Star Wars movies, so the damage may well already be done.

...Anyway anything I should break down further in that background blurb for her, you think?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was just looking for feedback on the background, friends. Sorry that an offhanded joke about not subjecting my friend to 7 hours of at best aggressively mediocre films caused a derail.

I think I will use one of her human off-skills to give her a rank in ranged (heavy) and justify it as her being a sporting marksman in her ample free time. She'd be the only one in the group with that skill.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly I was hoping she'd pick a soldier type because the only background that demands is "You have a gun and Empire is bad guys."

I exect the Kuat angle to comes up as much or as little as she likes, since I explicitly reduced her to a disposessed criminal busting rocks for sedition.

That said the pip in history is like Jiv said an excuse to hand her setting background as needed and everyone at the table knows she's brand new and can help talk her through playing the faceman.

I figured the easiest way to go with an agitator was charismatic nobody, but a riff on "affluent #woke liberal ally in a setting where that's genuinely dangerous" seemed interesting.

I should mention I'm gonna encourage her to use as much or as little as she wants if she does have her own ideas for the character.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I don't know, my other work friend who suggested inviting her picked it up pretty quickly coming off a like decade long hiatus where her only other tabletop experience was D&D. I'm not sure all of us learning a different game for the sake of it being "easier" and a better on-ramp to the hobby is better than just introducing the game we all actually want to play starting with "tell us what you want to do and we'll hand you your dice pool," then slowly explaining it peicemeal-- "Okay this is how we determined which dice you're rolling so you can build your own pool ; okay now this is an important roll, let's flip a destiny token and here's how that works; okay it's time to level your guy, what do you want to be better at? Okay, we'll take this talent and rank up this skill so your guy does X better, next time we'll give you some more options to pick from yourself..."

It's not really a "gaming group" so much as "a group of work friends (and one nerd from my x-wing nights) who get together and play Star Wars for fun."

I think not coming from a D20/Whitewolf whatever pedigree honestly might be a boon. There will be no need to unlearn what she's learned. Sometimes rank newbies really suprise me with how well they jump into the improv acting aspect of the hobby, and I think there's a tendency to overstate how hard the mechanics are to pick up regardless of the game.

As far as lore dense, it's not terribly high concept, and I plan to scaffold what lore there needs to be in my game through play, not an assumption everyone reads wookiepedia for fun. I told her basically "As long as you've seen enough Star Wars to know there's a big galaxy full of cool ships, fantastic aliens, an oppressive evil Empire opposed by plucky Rebels, you're good to go."

And ultimately... Hell, I'm sure we all played half the poo poo in our inaugural session of the beginner game "wrong," but everyone had a good time. We're all learning together.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have a background where the hot lady bear boss lady is my love interest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So.

Pretty much whatever I GM, I have to get a little sauced. I'm just kind of a reserved guy and it's hard to do the voices and the improv playacting without a buzz going on. That's just me.

Two of our players are a couple who brings their 4-year old kid, and she amuses herself and watches movies, or in future seshes when my kids are there they can do a play date.

During an intermission, I came out wearing a Kylo Ren mask and brandishing a toy lightsaber. And I say to the toddler in my evilest Dark Side Spaceman voice: "I am the EVIL Kylo Ren. I am master of the Knights of Ren, and am made to kiss Lena Dunham on the HBO Series Girls!"

Now this kid is pretty hyper and cheerful and gets along with me well enough, but I can tell right away that her eyes have gone wide with actual terror, she's seconds from tears, and my plan to amuse her has backfired. I rip off the mask and instantly change to a comforting tone:

"No kid, it's just me, Pac-Manioc Root! No one has to kiss Lena Dunham! Ever! It's all pretend!"

We all still get a laugh at that one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Ha. That's pretty great. I used to wear masks for a game I ran ans it would scare my friend's dogs silly. It's like I instantly became a new person.

Yeah I wasn't doing it for the game proper, just amusing a kid. It's a bit of booze that lets me become another person.

I ran a sort of stripped down version game for my daughter a bit back and she loved it. The basics of system is so easy to pick up my 6 year old was assembling dice pools no problem after a couple rolls.

Next session I plan to have a solid ship-to-ship setpiece for the Ace to shine, but studying up the maneuvers and actions are a bit less intuitive than ground stuff. I'll have to find a cheat sheet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

Are you still sauced?

I actually don't drink that much. A fellow goon who plays in the game encouraged me to post, but now that I re-read it's sort of a "you had to be there" thing and just reads as a shaggy dog story about scaring a toddler. I am sorry for it, as I am for all my posts on these dying forums.

Moose King posted:

A couple things that took a couple read-throughs of the space rules to jump out at me:

The Fly/Drive maneuver is only for when you wants to move between range bands, if the PC is dogfighting a TIE and neither leaves Close range, Fly/Drive is unnecessary.

Normally, the target of an attack gets to choose which arc is targeted. If a character succeeds a Gain the Advantage action, they get to choose the targeted arc instead. If you choose the rear arc, that puts you narratively behind the target, therefore that enemy can't shoot back while GtA is in effect unless it has a rear-facing weapon. So successfully Gaining the Advantage on a TIE means that it can't shoot at you on its next turn.

This is good to know, and didn't jump out to me when I was reading through the section. GtA seems to be the go-to "I'm dogfightin'" maneuver then.

I think having a bunch of X-Wing minis is going to be helpful for a small furball, probably between a U and X-Wing versus a couple-few TIEs. Not so much moving them around tactically, but positioning to indicate who has successfully "GtA"'ed on who.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What book's got VT-49 Decimator stats?

Adding a single EOTE/AOR statcard to each X-Wing ship's retail packaging would be a cool value add and potentially generate cross-promotional interest.

I would buy a whole deck of the things. I've been finding the adversary decks immensely helpful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Been playing little short solo sessions of the Star Wars RPG with my 6 going on 7 year old. She's very tentative about charting out her dude's next move "I'm not sure if it's a good idea but..." "It's probably not going to work but..." "I don't know what to do..." But she still really enjoys it, especially the dice rolling.

I find I'm a lot more reserved with my descriptions of fangorious violence. "Five successes and an advantage. That's 11 damage with your lightsaber! You swing at him and he falls to the ground... uh... defeated. SOUNDLY defeated."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For my regular group of nominally adult players, my session is just about ready but I am short one thing:

I need a mid-level crime lord. Not like a full on Viggo/Hutt Lord, but not some arm-breaking thug either. Like just an up-and-coming made man capo with his retinue and his slice of a mega-city.

I have the 3 core books and TFA/AOR starters, along with all the adversary decks (looking through didn't find anything that quite suited.)