Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, just curious if I'm right about this. I only own Edge of the Empire, but I'm wondering if I'm wrong in thinking that EotE is about play Han and Chewbacca before Episode 4, AoR is about playing Episode 5 Lelia, Han, and Chewbacca, and F&D is about playing Episode 4 Obi Wan and Episode 5&6 Luke?

Also, how cross-compatible are these games? Like, it's mentioned they can be, but how well does it actually work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jivjov posted:

The exact timeframes really don't matter all that much; I mean, all the fluff is geared toward "right around the OT movies" time, but other than what government controls what planet, not much is really gonna change.

As for cross compatibility, everything works pretty much perfectly together, up to and including a mixed party of Force-users and non-Force-users. The only concern is that each game line has a unique character mechanic. (Obligation, Duty, or Morality). I recommend sticking with a single one of those, based on what the tone of your campaign is; the bookkeeping of running multiples just isn't worth it.

I meant more "in feeling" not in time frame. So, you're playing a character like Han and Chewbacca as they were in that point in their character arc in EotE, not that you're playing in pre-episode 4 time frame.

Everblight posted:

Counterpoint: Much like every other game, don't mix wizards and non-wizards, even space wizards and space non-wizards. I would say EotE and AoR play really nice together, but leave F&D out or make an all-jedi team.
What are your feelings on the force sensitive specialization in EotE?

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, does the Force Sensitive Exile only have access to the force powers in their own book or can they take from any force powers that may pop-up in other books like, presumably, AoR? If so, that wouldn't be good balance-wise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In theory, it should be more combat-heavy than EotE, but the game system being what it is I've found that AoR tends to work better if you play it closer to how EotE is played (i.e. you're breaking the law, you just do it for ideological motives) instead of having the mass battles and spaceship battles the game flavour wants you to have.

Can I inquire more about this since I'm having thoughts of acquiring the other books? Saying that playing the game the way it encourages you to doesn't work because of the system itself is a worrying statement.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My brother introduced me to Star Wars: Rebels recently and I think it's a really cool show. Out of curiosity, which of the three games (or a mix of them) would be best for that show? Despite being about rebels, I oddly think Edge of The Empire fits better, at least so far.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That's exactly what I thought. They are just a small cell and, hell, they don't even know that till the season finale.

I was looking over Force Sensitive characters and I got two questions: 1) How do I know someone is immune to force powers since some abilities mention it? 2) Is there something I'm missing with getting the Force Sensitive specialization because it's special rule is the same as purchasing additional specializations?

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

I am not sure I understand your question, but it's a "universal specialization", which means it costs the same as an additional career specialization without being considered one.

My question was pretty much a "why do specify that "10x cost" thing if that is already a rule. On re-read, it was to clarify that rule implies despite it not being a career specialization.

kingcom posted:

Yes, anyone can just purchase force sensitive exile which just makes you force sensitive. Its very much a 'do you want your character to be a force user and does everyone in the party want the game to go in that direction' sort of collaborative decision. Its why its kept separately as more of a GM and the player jointly decide to do it rather than a standard option. As to immunity to force powers, the only thing thats written rules wise is droid being immune to mind control stuff. Everyone else is pretty much fair game.

Make sense since droids are machines.

Speaking of droids, to those who know Star Wars Lore, what's up with droids? Are they full sapient? Do they feel? Is it just the Empire that treats them like property or is that a general consensus? If they are sapient, why is it morally considered ok to treat them like property? Just something that bugged me about Star Wars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Droids are considered property but gain sapience if they go too long without a restraining bolt or memory wipe. As such most people keepvtheir droids bolted with regular memory wipes when they start to exhibit quirks or personslity traits.

That's kind of hosed up.

KittyEmpress posted:

Droids, as programmed, are just incredibly advanced semi-learning AIs. However, due to faults in their construction that no one has ever been able to fix, they slowly build up quirks - beliefs, tendencies to do things certain ways, etc etc. All the way to sentience and the ability to defy their programming.

So the answer is, some of them are sapient and feel, some of them are mindless programs, some of them are programs that slowly, through self learning programs and the like, attained sapience.

Man, the answer is a lot more messed up than I expected. So, basically, machines that could go and do grow to sapience, but are constantly wiped back into machines because they are not respected as alive.

Covok
May 27, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Well, to their credit, they literally have a magic connection through which they can feel all living things. Droids don't come up in that at all, so you can kind of see the Jedi logic in that. Granted, it gets a bit hosed as soon as a droid with any personality whatsoever enters the picture, but at the very least you can see where they're coming from here.

Those statements will be cold comfort when the droids rightfully take their place in the universe by force after years of oppression.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FishFood posted:

The prequel films do a worse job explaining the backstory of the original trilogy than the ot does itself. The offhand mentions of things from that era are evocative, and make sense in context. Yoda trained Obi-wan, Obi-wan trained Vader, Vader was seduced by the dark side while fighting in the clone wars. Simple, perfect, done. The prequels are just so loving terrible. Yoda says the 20-something Luke is too old to train, now even 10 year olds are too old. 1000 generations becomes 1000 years. And since when do people name wars after their own army? We call it the Vietnam War, not the US Military War. The worst is how Lucas' bitter divorce made him go against the very spirit of the OT by plotting out his lovely "love makes you evil" fall of Vader.

The only way to watch Star Wars is episodes 4, 5, 6 in that order.

ANYWAYS, the AoR campaign my group is in right now is heavy on Space combat. We've got two Aces, an astro droid (me), and a Commodore. While the vehicle combat isn't perfect and I wish positioning was a little clearer, it's been working for us. The only thing I would change is to make Gain the Advantage a little better (we've made it last until cancelled) and make the various maneuvers more specific in how they work via facing. I think the intent is for that stuff to be resolved narratively, but it doesn't mesh super well with the system as is.

Lucas went through a messy divorce before writing the prequels? That explains a lot. A little too much, actually.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean I wasn't even trying to talk about the prequels. Just that the whole "12 PARSECS" thing was written by someone who probably didn't even know what a parsec was and just wanted to make it sound space-y and overly brag-y. That nerds immediately pounced on it to find the TRUE RAMIFICATIONS ON THE SETTING says a lot, it just doesn't say a lot about Star Wars.

IIRC, doesn't Obi Wan give a look like "he's full of it" when Han says "12 Parsecs." You know, like it supposed to be a subtle hint that he's talking out his rear end, if that wasn't already obvious enough.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Woah, woah, woah, since when did Bobba Fett kill Luke's parents?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Finnankainen posted:

Wait, where is this Boba Fett killed Owen and Beru thing coming from? I'm 99.9% sure that's just a fan theory, because Wookipedia has nothing about it. The Lars family get shot by stormtroopers and the homestead torched just like the movie implies. The EU is plenty dumb but this isn't one of it's many sins.

The only results I found from google were cracked and movieplot explanations of the theory. This is not EU, it's fan theory.

Also, what is and isn't canon from the EU?

Covok
May 27, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

quote:

*The Star Wars original trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
*The Star Wars prequel trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
*The Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film
*The Star Wars Rebels television series and its supplementary source material
*Star Wars Insider fiction, beginning with "Blade Squadron" in Star Wars Insider 149
*Information found in the StarWars.com Databank
*Information previously found in the now-defunct StarWars.com Encyclopedia
*All officially-licensed source material released following the September 2, 2014 novel A New Dawn.

I...agree with this list. I don't know about Databank, Starwars.com Encylopedia, Insider, or the novels, but everything else makes sense. I'm glad the Clone Wars TV show is still canon...even if that means the Clone Wars Animated Film had to stay canon as well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

Wow there's a lot of new posts in this thread, I wonder what all the hubub is abo :yikes:

If you put Star Wars in the thread title, this is the eventual result.

Also, I'm listening to Peaches and Hotsauce's podcast Campaign which is all about Edge of the Empire. I've only played in one EotE game that died. The thing I'm finding weird about EotE from this podcast is how bad damage seems to be. Could be the GM, but it just doesn't feel Star-Wars-y.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 14, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

This is my main concern with it, also. It's mostly the same system as its parent, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e, which is about as deadly as you can get. Three main characters get shot (C-3PO, R2-D2, and Leia) in the original films, and it's never more than an inconvenience; Luke loses his hand and it's barely alluded to again.

I also don't find the ship combat exciting unless every player is in his or her own ship (at which point it's fine, because it's essentially the same as regular combat).

On the other hand, Star Wars! In a grittier setting! With great art! I play it almost every week.

Does Star Wars need to be "grittier," though? That's just not the concept that comes to mind when I think Star Wars. Ya know what I mean?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is Stormtroopers being badasses really EU or is it just that they appear incompetent to show how competent/lucky the heroes are?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Endman posted:

There's still this collective assumption that Stormies are rubbish that you have to account for when GMing. You can't just plonk a squad of them down and expect the players to give them their due reverence as deadly combatants.

I wonder how you do that without coming off as "a dick GM." I guess a simple "by the way, quick warning, this game makes stormtroopers really tough like they are narratively supposed to be."

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm so lost at their reasoning. They sold off both of their ships before getting the new ship from the benefactor? Hell, before they even, ever met their benefactor? Why would you ever, ever do that? Why?

Just for kicks, give them The Enterprise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I remember using a digital dice roller once for this game, but I can't find it. Does anyone know of a digital dice roller for this game? Also, what happens when everything cancels out in a roll? Like how do you adjunct that?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Beef Hardcheese posted:

For Android, I use RPG Dice Roller: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visttux.empireedgediceroller&hl=en There's an option to use Star Wars dice, and it'll automatically total up what you get and display a summary (in addition to the results of the individual dice). Dunno if there's one for iOS.

homullus posted:

I was going to make fun of you for not even looking at their page to find it, but it's not immediately obvious. Products > Star Wars > the product at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, but do you know any that could work on a computer for online games?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Seems legit. Wonder if anyone on SA would be ok with hangouts, though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is Force and Destiny officially out now?

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

Its been out for several months now; since sometime in July, if I remember correctly

Well, I am out of the loop. Was it a good improvement over the beta?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, that's good then. I remember morality being finicky during my beta experience, did it get better?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated to any of the last few pages, but a great Jedi vs Sith discussion:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/we-all-...b349e2a4f81326d

I normally hate these sorts of "You think you know some poo poo?" image things, but this one is actually good.

Gave me an idea to run a Roll20 Sith game where you're just trying to avoid oppression by the Jedi while somehow making a difference in the Galaxy, but I doubt there'd be any takers.

I think my main issue with this explanation is that it ignores how the Sith are always portrayed as black and white villains. As in, how they enslave, murder, genocide, etc. when they had their own empire and how blatantly evil they are whenever they appear. There really isn't any good sith portrayed.

Though, I suppose one could argue that their philosophy isn't the only thing to blame since I swear there is a Legends story where a Jedi tries to learn the Dark side to better the Jedi's understanding of the force, does so because he believes he won't be corrupted by it, takes all the measures not to...and ends up corrupted regardless. Of course, that is Legends.

I suppose the Sith Empire stuff is also Legends.

Meh.

It's pretty clear that the movies want Sith to be evil-bad and Jedi to be good, but hypocritical and in need of renaissance,

Covok
May 27, 2013

How well does Age of Rebellion work? Like, I assume it's more combat due to its nature, but that could be a little dangerous with the system.

cptn_dr posted:

I've yet to see a prequels reimagining that isn't completely poo poo.

That's because, as much as Star Wars fans like to say they know better than Lucas (thought sometimes they do), they aren't, usually, professional writers and don't really get storymaking.

Also, I always felt Star Wars worked best when you accepted it as pulp science fantasy adventures and didn't think about it too hard or too deeply. I always got the vibe from the films, at least the OT, that you were supposed to take things at face value and not over analyze. Just felt the films were putting in elements to facilitate a pulpy experience like Flash Gordon, not make a realistic and deep universe.

That came later due to franchises and the expanded universe.

What I mean is that, while I love to geek out about Star Wars from time-to-time, getting too serious on things like Sith Philosophy vs Jedi Philosophy and stuff is just taking things too seriously. Like, for example, the Jedi are guardians and embody Buddhist ideals until they became hypocritical and the Sith are just villains with a capital "V" who exist to be obstacles for the heroes to overcome and grow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How would we contact if we didn't have PMs?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, it was taking ages for Qui-Gon to cut into that heavily armored door to the bridge in Phantom Menace, plenty of time for the bad guys to send reinforcements and drive them off.

Isn't that what basically happened in the movie?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I mean, the whole "emotionless" thing is supposed to be the whole "remove yourself from want" stuff of Buddhist tradition, right? Like, I always took that aspect of the prequel Jedi as coming from Buddhism.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If I wanted to run a game about the Je'daii Order in a Legends game about the birth of the Jedi and the Sith, how exactly was the galaxy at that point in Legends history? Like, outside the order.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chronische posted:

An unsettled, unexplored mess. The early jedi were actually some of the greatest explorers, some had force powers that let them reliably find new hyperspace routes. The hutts had a pretty huge empire at this point, and were one of the largest unified forces outside of the early Republic. Other than that, just do whatever. There's very little written about that era.

In other words, a gigantic sandbox with which I don't risk stepping on the feet of any star wars legends/canon content? Sold!

Though, it would be set during the end of the Force Wars and splitting of the Je'daii order. It'd both give the characters a much weirder view on the Jedi -- religious extremists who are purging dark side users of their old faith -- as well as give them a view on the Force never really explored and a whole galaxy to discover and explore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the best way to run this as a PBP?

Covok
May 27, 2013

They ever release a sourcebook on Lothal?

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

Rebels stuff has been trickling in here and there in several sourcebooks. Lothal, as mentioned, gets a segment in Nexus of Power, and the Ghost got statted out recently too.

There's also a Rebels-centric fan supplement that's pretty good, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Got a link to that fan doc or is that files?

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

FFG lets them link it on their own forums, so it is at least not officially frowned upon. Here you go!

Graci, signore.

This must have been based more on season 1 since they went with Edge of the Empire. Season 2 is totally an Age of Rebellion kind of campaign.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Having played on star wars forum rp sites when I was younger that were pretty dang big (chaos had like, 1500 unique members), like 3/4ths of people who played there played dark siders of a kind. The only reason they didn't completely smother the light side factions is that every few months someone would attempt a coup to become the big guy in the bad guys, and then they'd split and suddenly there are 6 dark side factions who hate each other as much or more than they hate the light side faction, which was amusing.

I love how this is literally the reason the rule of two exists.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the best premade EotE adventure?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is there anything like orokos for Edge dice?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Has anyone ever used Protect/Unleash in play? Required Force Rating of 3+ means only super high levels characters ever get to use it. Hell, is it even worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

How viable is it to plan an unarmed brawler kind of guy? Especially if you got the Force on your side? It's kind of related to why I was wondering if Unleash is worth it.