Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Miley Virus posted:

i feel like they're the same kinda people
yeah exactly, audiospergs treat aphex twin like he's ~SUPER loving SERIAL~ (and rolling stone shitcans drukqs while vicemag produce die antwoord's videos so apparently they're ~worlds apart~) but then afx makes songs about wanting milk from the milkman's wife's tits and whatever

plus there's also this thing, whatever it means
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSe03Dsh7Y4

Amethyst posted:

i watched the ugly boy vid

is that actually RDJ, or someone else wearing a mask?
yeah idk i kind of assumed it was him since they also had marilyn manson (another friend of die antwoord) and those 2 models in the clip but otoh i bet chris cunningham still has a bunch of aphex twin masks lying around they could've borrowed

plus i'm an idiot babby who should probably turn in his yosposters badge because i didn't ID ageispolis in ugly boy until that poo poo came up on my facebook, so my opinion probably doesn't matter. i need to listen to saw1 more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Miley Virus posted:

hell, if they're fans they'd realise that rdj and die antwoord like each other and he probably gave them express permission to use ageispolis
no but you see death of the author means that rdj's opinion doesn't matter. furthermore,

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

jony ive aces posted:

so this came out yesterday
and now my facebook feed is blowing up with :qq:s from aphex fans with no sense of irony

i was a little surprised at first, but not mad.. jesus. the track is so old and i don't think they destroyed it. it actually doesn't bother me at all. i might get sick of hearing it if it's played everywhere though

jony ive aces posted:

lol if u don't even notice RDJ in blackface in the video, some "fan"

lol that's him?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
google says it's not actually him http://pitchfork.com/news/57312-die-antwoord-enlist-marilyn-manson-jack-black-flea-cara-delevingne-more-for-ugly-boy-video/
so more fuel for the spergs to get mad since they could only be faking his approval while appropriating his music, face and logo!!!

apparently jack black, flea and "the ATL Twins" (whatever that is) are in it as well though :shrug:

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 5, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

jony ive aces posted:

google says it's not actually him http://pitchfork.com/news/57312-die-antwoord-enlist-marilyn-manson-jack-black-flea-cara-delevingne-more-for-ugly-boy-video/
so more fuel for the spergs to get mad since they could only be faking his approval!!!

apparently jack black, flea and "the ATL Twins" (whatever that is) are in it as well though :shrug:

yeah he looked a little tall

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Amethyst posted:

when he did a bunch of remixes and even recorded a track for a NIN album, he publicly said he hadn't heard the album and isn't interested in hearing it

for some reason i don't believe that he said he hadn't heard the album or interested. are you talking about "in the heart of it all" from further down the spiral? maybe it's a possibility that he had a track that would fit the album well that trent listened to

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

nevermind

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jony ive aces posted:

"the ATL Twins" (whatever that is)

was hoping that it was some new name for outkast or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

he had a track that would fit the album well that trent listened to

this is exactly what happened, i believe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also that track is criminally underrated and is not given enough credit for cross-pollination

nin led me to aphex twin which led me to autechre which led me to warp and from there everything exploded

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
wow i can't recall when i first started listening to aphex. it could have been a similar situation to yours jonny

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i got into aphex twin via salad fingers :negative:

i already listened to a bleep bloop computer music at the time but mostly lovely tiesto crap

e: i guess i only properly got into him via that surgeon glade festival set with W32.Mydoom.AU@mm and two other aphex tracks. pro

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 5, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think it was some dude on hotline 1.2.3 who told me to download saw85-92 and i was a little hesitant cause it would take about 20 mins per track on my lovely dialup but im glad i did it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i got into autechre through cylob -> afx -> squarepusher -> $(ls warp/a*)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cylob had this video on mtv at night for a little while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxuO36XXDQ

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Tankakern posted:

$(ls warp/a*)
some of their stuff is cool but i'm not super keen on Africa HiTech in general

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
smdh if you weren't introduced to electronic music by "on the run" from your dad's copy of dark side of the moon

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
warp introduced to me to some of my fav artists

Aphex Twin
Autechre
Battles
LFO
Plaid
Prefuse 73
Squarepusher

i probably missed something important here but that's what i can recall

e: oh yeah i forgot Flying Lotus is on Warp. still need to get You're Dead!

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 5, 2014

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
so, have any of you read this millino word interview with afx that just came out a few days ago? http://noyzelab.blogspot.no/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html
it's a pretty good nerd read, if you skip the poo poo about 911 and microwaves killing bill hicks

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i didn't read that, but i heard Richard is a 9/11 conspiracist that it was an inside job because "it's more interesting"

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

these guys toe the line between abstract and obnoxious so well it's amazing

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

boards of canada, various drexciya related projects, luke vibert etc. goes on the list for me

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Granbar posted:

boards of canada, various drexciya related projects, luke vibert etc. goes on the list for me

Luke Vibert definitely!

i haven't listened to much Boards of Canada but i'm sure i'll get into them

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
they're p. good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIY0c_OmcOY

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

You're Dead! is really good, much better than When The Quiet Comes

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fan video of a track from old tunes, isn't it?

board of canada has ridiculous amounts of leaked materials, a shame that they haven't got it together and released some proper. cassette rips sucks.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Granbar posted:

so, have any of you read this millino word interview with afx that just came out a few days ago? http://noyzelab.blogspot.no/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html
is that a yosposter interviewing him

Granbar posted:

it's a pretty good nerd read, if you skip the poo poo about 911 and microwaves killing bill hicks
actually, tha't swhere you need to pay themost attention

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
lmfao if your first aphex twin track was not ventolin. just lmfao

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Aphex Twin
Autechre
Battles
LFO
Plaid
Prefuse 73
Squarepusher

the best group on warp was Plone

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Zaxxon posted:

the best group on warp was The Black Dog

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bobbilljim posted:

well i preordered it already. and that preview track sounded fine on youtube, audio stream is p high quality aac i think. It isn't any weirder than james makign some music on teh computer which is then put onto a vinyl. anyway it doesnt matter because im not some audiophile shithead

he doesn't make it on computer it's all like analogue synthesisers and drum machines and poo poo, dude's a loving hoarder when it comes to synths

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Aphex Twin
Autechre
Battles
LFO
Plaid
Prefuse 73
Squarepusher

yo forgot Nightmares on Wax

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

for some reason i don't believe that he said he hadn't heard the album or interested. are you talking about "in the heart of it all" from further down the spiral? maybe it's a possibility that he had a track that would fit the album well that trent listened to

the quote that's on wikipedia and in various other places is

Richard D. James posted:

I never heard the originals, I still haven't. I don't want to either, or my remixes for that matter.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Granbar posted:

in the first question he talks about his oldest son, then in the second he talks about how actually he's only pretending to have a wife and kids

cool explanation about the icbyd cover

he actually does sound like a bit of a psycho

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Amethyst posted:

the quote that's on wikipedia and in various other places is

[quote="Richard D. James"]
I never heard the originals, I still haven't. I don't want to either, or my remixes for that matter.

that quote doesn't make sense to me or doesn't apply to Further Down The Spiral. he made one track for that album, and it wasn't a remix

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

jony ive aces posted:

i'm an idiot babby who should turn in his yosposters badge

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

that quote doesn't make sense to me or doesn't apply to Further Down The Spiral. he made one track for that album, and it wasn't a remix

nah man he did two tracks for that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJIDJy3y_3Y

who knows the circumstances surrounding the making of them, but I could see reznor sending him remix stems and rdj just sending back random stuff lemonheads style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
oh yeah that track too

even if trent provided stems, it doesn't sound like any kind of parts he'd create. it's very aphex twinny

• Locked thread