Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

This image is so last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Sitting Bull posted:

Is Mario 3d better than Mario 64? Haven't played a Mario game since 64. Never played WW either so I may just get that.

Jesus Christ it's like you are throwing meat at hungry bears.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Natron posted:

Can we stop pretending that any games are "mature"? Just because a game has violence and blood and your character is a big macho dude with issues doesn't make something mature. It's basically the equivalent of playing GI Joes on your driveway, it's just far more sophisticated and expensive.

Edit: Sorry, I'm quite late to the party here, but I was referencing Ubisoft's decision to not publish any more "mature" games on WiiU.

Well yes regardless of how gritty and violent and serious the game is you're still sitting on your rear end staring at a screen that is changing colours. If it's a "mature" game it's probably providing something beyond the most basic possible reaction a human being could possibly elicit. The kind of game people like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates would play, ie Wii Tennis as opposed to Gears of War.

People who consider Gears of War or Battlefield to be "mature" games are the same people who lost a lot of girls their job being "game booth girls" when all the backlash against being seen as immature, happened. It's like those people don't even want to talk to pretty girls.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

All you Nintendo profit analysis naysayers and buzzkills out there need to take into account that Nintendo is rich.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/07/nintendo-financial-results-worse-than-expected-on-slumped-wii-u-sales.aspx

quote:

Nintendo’s operating income also fell short. In January, the company shifted from ¥100 billion ($981.6 million) positive result to a warning of a ¥35 billion ($343 million) shortfall. The actual result was an even bigger shortfall of ¥46.4 billion ($455.7 million).

Net income was slightly up on the back of favorable exchange rates. Nintendo predicted a loss of ¥25 billion ($245.4 million) and ended with ¥23.22 billion in losses ($227.9 million).

This brings Nintendo’s total operating losses to ¥120.16 billion ($1.18 billion) for the last three years combined. Nintendo is projecting positive operations of ¥40 billion ($392.7 million) for the current fiscal year.

Blah blah blah

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

quote:

Here's the exact quote taken from a feature in the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."

Taking all of those exciting numbers into account, even if the worse case scenario happens and assuming Nintendo continues to release, on average, three new Mario games a year - we've still got... 189 new Mario games ahead of us. Also, there's a pretty good chance that we'll get another F-Zero at some point within that timeframe.

Matt Cundy says we'll be ok.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Watching a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon playthrough for 3DS it looks really good like the best possible combination of a Mario game and Ghostbusters.

However it seems the only full sized offering is the original Luigi's Mansion ala Gamecube. We all know Gamecube games aren't on Wii U. There feels like there is a big gap. Is it possible these (year-old) rumours could be true that Dark Moon is coming to Wii U or is this all very unlikely to happen.

http://nintendonews.com/2013/10/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-wii-u-discovered-on-best-buy-website/

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Bruceski posted:

It's not coming out at all. Poor contract-writing had one artist walk off with a large pile of money without doing any work, then Yogscast held the money slated for a lead programmer hostage until the devs could show they could make something... which kinda needs a lead programmer. End result is a trainwreck with the devs and Yogscast laying "pin the blame on the other guy."

Hahahah oh god, how did I miss it? That is an incredibly large drama bombshell I'm amazed reddit/youtube didn't melt down, do they still have youtube followers? So many questions.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Shovel Knight doesn't actually exist, it is a video game. Nerds!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Morby posted:

So is there any sort of "signal booter" or something that can improve the connection between the WiiU and the tablet across a longer distance? There may be 20ft between them and my connection hangs up and becomes unstable if I try to use the tablet in my room. Sort of a bummer because the idea of playing NSMBU or MK8 from bed is pretty appealing.

No. Long answer is it's probably possible theoretically, but what you'll be looking for is a repeater rather than a booster. Something that accepts signal transmission and then broadcasts it again, if you find a mad scientist who has built one for the Wii U make sure you test for input delay.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Akuma posted:

Advanced Warfare looks pretty sweet, you guys.

Did you mean to say Captain Toad Treasure Tracker because that's the name of the game you're talking about, so

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Wii Fit U is awesome if during an exercise one of my legs is wobbling all over the place it keeps track of that information and gives me something to do that works on relevant muscles. Yoga also is surprisingly good for posture.

Even if you don't turn the thing on the balance board is perfect for pushups.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

CoD is a murder simulator and is responsible for all of the school shootings.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

CatsPajamas posted:

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

I have heard many times that large segments of the population didn't know Wii U was a new system. It seems that the tablet controller was unappealing enough on its own, that people didn't even look into it.

Personally I knew Nintendo released a new system. I loved the unholy Christ out of my Wii and have pretty much been on board with Nintendo since my very early childhood. But Wii U was the first system from them I didn't buy within a year.

I went to the store to look at it. I was unimpressed with the shape of the system, since the Wii's form factor was awesome. The price tag was really high, it was like Nintendo's most expensive system I think. There weren't any games that I was interested in. It didn't seem to use Wiimotes anymore, which were beloved by me. It used some kind of regular controller with a giant awkward screen on it.

So I didn't buy. Until Mario Kart 8 came out and they offered a free game, then I noticed the price was at least 100€ less than last time I checked. Wasn't bad marketing for me, it just didn't look like an appealing system. Looking back on it, I still wouldn't have bought one until now.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse?

Buyer's irremorse

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I didn't even know there were DLC tracks coming out, I thought all we had were the car advertisements. This is really great news.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I want to meet the only person on the planet who is willing to buy only one of the two DLC packs, we all know you're out there.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Amiibos are plastic figurines that do what cloud storage could do much better plus password.

Instead of having a character in the cloud that you can update with your newest "power ups" you have an NFC powered figurine that you need to carry around with you. As if the consumer test of Box com vs USB hasn't been resolved already.

The thing to realise about Amiibos is that if they cost $20 now they will be worth at least $30 in 20 years. Especially if they suck and nobody likes them therefore they stop being produced and become another relic of Nintendo history.

That my friends is a solid as gently caress investment if you ask me.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

ethanol posted:

speaking of donkey kong country and dkc2.. why isn't it on the eshop?

Nintendo own all rights to the original Donkey Kong Country games. Probably the first one will be on the eShop to celebrate its 20th anniversary if I were to speculate, that's Nov 21st. Why aren't all Super Nintendo games on the eShop? I don't know. They cost a lot to download one, imo.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

I was playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze last weekend and after playing a world with the tablet, I swapped back from the tablet to the the sideways wiimote set up. I have no idea why, but this plays so much better for me. :psyduck: I was having trouble getting into the flow of the levels, but after switching I'm bouncing all over the place and making jumps I had trouble with using the gamepad.

I'm going to try that, it sounds like I am having the same trouble you were with that game.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

The complete failure of motion controls was pretty disheartening too. It felt like we had suffered through the beta test of waggle for nothing. We dealt with an underpowered, non-hd console and a generation of entries in flagship series with waggle shoehorned into them just so that work could get tossed out the window. It was disappointing to gradually realize what a failed experiment that was and left me with little confidence in Nintendo's latest stupid gimmick, this time a tablet controller that no one asked for or wanted.

What the. You bought a Wii U on launch day and you didn't like the Wii, how did you do this to your brain?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

My experience with the Wii and the Wii U were pretty separate.

The Wii was so good that I wanted to build a church to dress up for and go talk about it once a week with people in person. We would eat snacks and praise Nintendo for it's valuable contribution to all of our lives, perhaps even plan a trip to Nintendo headquarters.

The Wii U is fantastic and I feel like I love it, but they haven't done anything too revolutionary this time around. They stepped away from their innovative risky position on game development to introduce better graphics (which looking back now was needed actually) and a more classic control scheme. I like the giant tablet controller, it turns out I like using it to play games from different positions or to carry youtube outside with me while I have a cigarette or a movie is playing.

I even re-bought two wii plus remotes and nunchucks, because I miss motion controls.

It's practically like the two systems are made by different companies. The Wii U has more similarities to the Gamecube or Super Nintendo than it does the Wii, Wii stands on its own.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Spite posted:

I've got an EU Wii U and now moved back to the US. So I have a conundrum.
Should I just keep it and buy crap off the eshop?

Or should I get a US console and sell this one? Anyone have any experience with anything similar? How hard would it be to sell? Am I just screwed with the stuff I previously bought on the shop?

Does it even work on an NTSC tv?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Gashroom posted:

2006 would have been a good time to invest.

It sure is easy to play the stock market when you're in the future.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The guy that sold me Tropical Freeze said he played the first level decided he didn't like it and sold it to me for 20 bones.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Old Swerdlow posted:

For drifting it appears that you just hold the button down around the turn until you get your sparks. I don't notice any difference when attempting to 'snake.'

The air tricks for boosts are fairly brainless to perform too.

They also removed the ability to hold an item out such as a shell and pick another item up.

I don't think anyone is going to defend the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 either.

I am not acting like some sort of god or expert at the game. It just doesn't have as much going for it as previous titles have. Just disappointed with how standard and basic the is compared to how it looks and sounds; it just an okay game.

Hopefully the dlc packs add some interesting tracks.

Snaking was very polarising, a lot of people absolutely hated having to develop a skill to have any chance at competing in the game. So it was ditched in favour of the simpler "hold button down" mechanic of the games that followed it. Mario Kart DS was my favourite in the series but how can it even compare to Mario Kart 8? I think if you went back and replayed it you would be surprised by how quickly it dated, I mean you're comparing a nearly 10 year old handheld title to one of the most beautifully crafted works of art I've ever seen.

Battle mode in Mario kart has been bad since the original. I think Nintendo are giving up until they come up with a new dynamic for it.

You are likely a shallow monster with no reason to be alive so I don't even know why I'm talking to you.

Pegged Lamb posted:

Anyone here regularly use Wii fit

It is hard to want to keep doing it, man. I just use my balance board and yoga mat to do pushups mostly. Otherwise a 30 min workout can take 45 minutes, with all the adjusting and button pressing.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm a fairly skinny guy and fell dead on the "optimal" lines. Then it forced me to choose a goal so I set it so that I would gain a few pounds which I successfully did in under two weeks.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nintendo wants this as a sort of novelty.

They don't want to manufacture Gamecube controllers again they want people to buy modern Nintendo products. If they give any more encouragement to use Gamecube controllers they could be in trouble. For example if you could map gamecube controller buttons to anything on the virtual console.

Why in the name of hell aren't the Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller compatible with the Virtual Console and Wii mode yet? It's absolutely insane.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

There's no excuse for the Wii U's controllers not to work on the integrated last-gen system. There are already enough different confusing accessories for the Wii U, it sucks that they're forcing people to have, remember, switch between and use all of them. That's just unfriendly. And it's not like because the new controller is bluetooth and the old one is wifi that compatibility cannot be in-built, the hardware is all there. Not gonna give Nintendo a pass on this one.

Yes I understand that the Wii is apparently literally a Wii built into the Wii U.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Rolling my eyes so much right now.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

English Captain Toad trailer, this game is basically all I'm looking forward to on this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nV2PKIv5Y

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, I'm not going to buy Bayo 2 because of the oversexualization. It just makes me feel awkward. Maybe it's because I live in a house with non-gamers. Even the anime boobs in Hyrule Warriors kinda wigged me out a bit.

I wanted to buy a 3DS when the new one comes but after having a browse of the game catalogue at least half of them are weird cutesy anime themed ones. Sorry Nintendo, I can't be a cool adult who plays freeking anime games. I can't sit on a train or jetset around europe and occasionally break out some anime. It's not something that works culturally for people who are mindful of their surroundings and the fact they are an adult.

Hello sir can I use this seat? Oh, oh my, n-never mind I'll sit somewhere else.

You can make fun of me for caring what other people think, but you're the one playing anime games in public. The same for Bayonetta, if someone walks in the room and you're playing that poo poo don't expect to be invited to the poker game that weekend that Vanessa is going to.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I just got Netflix and downloaded the free Netflix app, it works really well on Wii U. This is my sole entertainment solution, is there something for playing music?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Why at no point during development did a head of the department walk into the room say "ok here's what we're going to do Sonic dies at the end of this game." Then it would sell as the game that killed Sonic, rather than just being known as the game that killed Sonic.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If dying at the end of Sonic '06 didn't kill him, what makes you think this will?

I uh... my brain somehow made choices that resulted in missing all Sonic games past the age of Sonic 1 & 2 must have been a kind of self-preservation instinct.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of the gamepad, how sturdy is it? I've got to hop on a long flight and i figure I can throw it in my carry on, hopefully it'll be okay. I'm moving to europe and I expect that charging the gamepad might require me to track down an EU charger, instead of just an adapter.

Congratulations on your move but unless you plan to either bring a NTSC television with you or play exclusively on your gamepad that isn't going to work they have PAL televisions there.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

NTSC and PAL didn't become compatible after the introduction of 720p and 1080p they still ran at different frame rates. I wasn't aware that tvs have become compatible since, I have a european tv and it says nowhere on it anything about NTSC.

You guys telling me if I plug an NTSC device into this thing it will work?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This story inspired me to try and play 3D world with my girlfriend. She sort of glared at me and halfheartedly plucked at the Wii Mote. We beat the first level and I looked at her and asked if she thought it was fun and she rolled her eyes and said "Maybe if I was like...five."

I was very sad.

I would like to shake her hand. We will then go to a business meeting somewhere.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Suspicious Cook posted:

Tropical Freeze is brutal in a way that doesn't really jive with me. Unlike the DKC games on the SNES (barring a couple levels), you can't go back and get anything you might have missed because most of the levels destroy themselves around you. It adds a lot of spectacle and the levels are gorgeous, but I felt like I was never safe the whole time I played it. Then there are the rocket barrel levels where you have to be psychic to get all the collectables your first trip.

I beat Tropical Freeze and I liked it, but I have no drive to 100% it. This is in contrast to 3D World in which I happily beat everything (Except that torch lighting section. I wasn't happy during that. You know the one.) and Bayonetta 2 which I haven't even beaten yet but I already want to go back and do it all over again.

I love Tropical Freeze it's really great, but explain the banana coins game mechanic to me. It seems like one of those games that gives you a limited number of "cheats" which are used up every time you fail and you have to do it again without the cheat.

You're having enough trouble beating a level that you need to use an item, then you fail. You're placed at the start without the item anymore, so if you do that enough times you have no items left. If it's possible to beat the game without the items then don't offer them, or if you do don't put a limit on them.

What is the benefit of that if someone needs to cheat in order to have fun let them cheat.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is how they do the buddy barrels too. If you die, you go back to the checkpoint and no longer have your partner. Often times there isn't another DK barrel for a long time if there is one at all. Your failure is met with another chance at the checkpoint, but now you don't have your extra jump and you only have half your health. It's just a really odd system.

You said it better.

My problem is that things get harder if you fail instead of staying the same like every other game. It compounds your aversion to playing because someone who is relatively good doesn't need to be as good as you need to be, if you're worse at the game than them.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Pretty dog gone diddly dang excited for MK8 DLC still with no specific release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Astro7x posted:

But isn't Q2 July, August and September? That mean they are not even factoring the first month of Mario Kart 8 sales in there.

Now just waiting for someone to ruin the good news by saying they were profitable by selling property of something like that.

I would think a large source of income is that mercedes deal they made, but if those numbers don't include the first month of MK8 sales then it wouldn't include that either. Great news, I am really happy.

• Locked thread