Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I went looking to buy Xenoblade to get ready for the upcoming with release and it's 60 dollars used? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

It got an extremely limited print run only at gamestop.

Is it worth it at that price, or should I just buy the new title when it comes out?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Battalion Wars 2 is very good

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Handsome Ralph posted:

Where is Battalion Wars 2? :colbert:

Actually it's ok, I'm like one of five people who bought and enjoyed that game, so I understand why it's not there.

:hfive:

Speaking of Xenoblade, count me as one of those people who would love to try it, but isn't willing to spend sixty bucks on a "used" game to just end up finding out that it's not my bag. Really wish Nintendo would do a digital release or something with it.

It's good to know there's another guy waiting for Battalion Wars 3. Seriously though people if you want an underappreciated gem from the last 2 generations, it's that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I want another Mario Strikers so loving bad

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

I think part of the problem with mentioning what Wii games are worth playing is the Wii was a system that, like most Nintendo post SNES home consoles, were system that had a handful of really great games and then a bunch of okay games that the base told themselves were actually really good because they didn't have all that much else between the really good games. I'm not saying that the Wii didn't have some really amazing games and I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gems, but I've been burned so many times by playing a game that was hyped as being amazing when it really was just okay for a system that had no other similar options.

Any examples?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
If you enjoy Advance Wars or Pikmin (maybe both?) go buy Battalion Wars. Someone else play this good game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have a Wii, well more to the point my wife has a Wii since I'm usually just doing the PC gaming thing but we didn't upgrade to the Wii U when it came out since it was horribly marketed and got panned pretty bad across the board. It looks like Nintendo fixed the image thing with it's showing at E3 but my question is would it be worth upgrading to the Wii U right now since it's a 2 year old console, my wife mostly plays the Lego title games (Harry Potter & Starwars) and Epic Yarn on her Wii but has shown a lot of interest recently in the Disney Infinity stuff which was just announced as only supporting Wii U from now on.

Also, what cutesie games for the Wii U would you recommend that are fun gameplay wise but not hard since she had a deprived childhood and the Wii was her first gaming console ever?

Yoshis Wooly World is gonna be just your thing most likely, it's got co-op, and there's no death so it's extremely chill. Check out Kirbys Epic Yarn on the Wii if you want something relaxing and peaceful to play. Also Captain Toad comes out at the end of the year. If you want something out right now Mario is probably your best bet, although it does get quite challenging toward the end of the game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Commissar Ken posted:

Put (2) next to Super Mario Galaxy. Then take out Fluidity and Lost Winds as who knows how long the Wii shop will be up for and for those 3 spots throw in Last Story, Brawl and No More Heroes 2 and lets call it a day and never speak of this OP again.

this except also but in Super Paper Mario

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Samus is sexy :smugmrgw:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

Splatoon is going to be very good and I can't wait for it

I hope it gets the online community it deserves. I'm excited to hear more,frankly. Its a fresh look at multiplayer FPS and just looks incredibly fun.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
poo poo, who brought up Warioworld? I played that tons as a kid. Is it not that good? I remember it being good.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I know it plays into the "nintendo just makes the same thing over and over again" complaint that I hate so much but I would be so loving pumped for a "Mario Galaxy U" title. Galaxy in HD man, galaxy in HD

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Wonderful 101 is the best action game of all time

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kaubocks posted:

W101 is not a good video games.

I'm going to beat the poo poo out of you

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
the QTE's are the best dude what are you talking about

Artix posted:

Uh, what? If anything, W101 is too long, some of the later stages could really have stood to be about half as long as they actually are. It would be a perfect 10-15 hour experience, but it goes on for 20+ on any difficulties above the absolute easiest.

I remember so many times I'd play a level before bed and by the time I'd be halfway through I was pooped.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

I skipped the cutscenes because that airship level was just too much with the Russian guy I just didn't care anymore. I switched it to very easy and would mash start each time someone started talking.

The Prologue only lasts 3 minutes if you skip everything.

stfu

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kewpuh posted:

He really is but I like to read his posts because theyre mindblowingly retarded

same

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

I've talked about Nintendo's finances for the first time in like 3 months yesterday,

It's okay, relapsing is part of the process.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

Same here. Good-Feel is my favourite currently active developer. :swoon:

I like your av a lot.

That's all

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'll admit it, I play the NHL games. I'm a huge hockey fan and I like to get drunk with my friends and play our fave teams.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

And someone could very easily counter this post with poo poo like Sunset Overdrive, the Master Chief collection, K1 Season 2 and Scalebound. :shrug:

Nice av

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't trying to counter your dumb post but ok. :confused:

Someone might.

I don't give a crap what people buy, I'm not a child anymore so I don't get involved in dumb console war bullshit, I'm just pointing the reasons someone might pick one over the other, whether or not you like these titles is irrelevant.

You told me this already, and I have it adblocked so I wouldn't know but I'm glad its still there.

I'm glad that no matter how much time passes, how many consoles we go through, Nintendo fans being the biggest defensive babies has not changed.

When I get home I'm gonna re-upload it and buy you it again

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Someone post the quote that got him the av, I'm busy.

Also. As a tip, don't keep responding to people. You're just going to make it worse.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

night slime posted:

Nintendo can go it alone--I have faith in them. WHen did Mario ever need an ally to defeat Bowser. Peace out...

They have Platinum Games and Retro studios at their side.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Turns out the WiiU is pretty awesome and everyone begrudgingly admitted they were getting WiiUs and the thread became awesome

That thread had some A grade meltdowns, it was a fun time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Raserys posted:

You can't say this and not post quotes

gently caress man, it's friday night... I'll do it hold on

E:

Stux posted:

Now you see dad, the woman on the left there is what is known as "tsundere", this means that she is outwardly harsh but inside has a heart of gold. You see how these games have deep and adult themes now and aren't embarrassing poo poo for children?

Read the page this is on, and there's another later which I'm gonna pull up.

E2:

Fulchrum posted:

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 23, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Finally seriously getting into shovel knight and holy cow plague knight is a loving bitch

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Platformers are gods genre

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Learn the level and get there with two red Ichor potions. Use the phase locket liberally.

lmao what are you talking about

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I seriously can't imagine doing this without getting hit, the first two bosses were pushovers and this fucker has a million different moves.

E: One loving hit goddamit

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Have you played Shovel Knight? Get the two Ichor chalices, get them filled with the red Ichor from the Trouple. Learn the level so you don't have to use the red Ichor (fills your health and magic), then use the phase locket (the item that makes you invincible for 3 seconds) as much as needed while fighting the plague knight.

Or are you just posting an FYAD style non-sequitur?

what the gently caress are you talking about

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Welp he's done, I don't know what this Ichor stuff is but I clearly don't need it :cool:

E: I didn't notice I had healing items until like the final boss of Metal Gear Rising.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

The big fish. He spits Ichor into your cups. There are 3 Ichors, but the red one (fills your health and magic) is the only one you should get. Use it to beat the Plague Knight. It's the reason you have two silver chalices in your inventory.

what fish?

mabels big day posted:

Go in the town and buy poo poo from everyone, and often

I spent all my money on magic upgrades and a new suit of armor at this new town

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RadicalR posted:

You are now trolling us. Go back to the first town on the map and go right twice. A fish lives there.

I promise you, I never found the fish. I will go back t some point

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I beat the final boss. You can do it, just keep pushing yourself.

E: now some of these temple levels on the other hand :getin:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I literally can't imagine getting all the puzzle pieces in the temple levels in one go. Heh, that makes me wanna try.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

And Sony is leading the sales charts despite (or more likely because of) leaving it out of their console, while Microsoft's sales were lagging enough that it forced them to offer a new SKU without the motion controls, which was enough to double the sales of the console.

They added the motion controls as a knee-jerk response because they were getting bitch slapped in the market place by the Wii. However, the Wii sold like it did because it appealed to "casual gamers", i.e. a group of customers that never purchased videogames before (or since, unless it's on their phone).

The Wii was a (very very fortunate) gamble that paid off because of the state of consumers and technology at the time, as well as the relatively low price and form factor. 4 years earlier or later, and the thing could have been an absolute flop. Wii's success is more an indicator of the state of the market at the time, and less of an indicator of the desire for and effectiveness of motion contols in videogames.

The fact that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are only tertiarily supporting motion controls this generation, while focusing on more traditional controllers is pretty telling that motion controls are suited, at best, as a minor enhancement to a controller and not as the principle means of control.

Devs hate it and the core videogame purchasing population is lukewarm on it, split between those that hate it, those that don't mind it, and those that only played videogames because of the novelty of motions controls and are unlikely to be a force in the market in the future.

Jesus Christ

Nintendo just got motherfucking STRUCK DOWN
:vince: :thurman: :iceburn: :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

It absolutely was. Calling into quesiton the usability and viability of motion controls for videogames as a whole in no way calls into question the success of the Wii.

Why do you guys always do this? It's so weird. It reminds me of when the iPhone 4 didn't work when you held it, Apple said you were holding it wrong, and Apple fanboys became mongrel dogs when anyone suggested that Apple hosed up.

You are allowed to be critical of a company and still love the company. You aren't going to lose a piece of yourself by admitting that Nintendo isn't the epitome of perfection.

"Man, that guy made fun of me for posting almost 2 pages worth of text about the Wii that was insanely boring, I'd best continue posting more stuff nobody is going to read"

• Locked thread