Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It might be worth adding to the OP that you get a discount on rebuying any Wii U VC titles you had on the Wii VC. I forget the exact pricing but it's like $1.00 for NES games to get the upgraded version.

More importantly seems many people have missed out on the Digital Deluxe Promotion that every Deluxe comes with, so we could have something about that as well. If you got a refurb or transferred from a Wii U to Deluxe, you're also earning points. People are probably sitting on money-back they didn't realize they have, which can be used for Wii U or 3DS titles.

Wii U DDP Details:
Earn points on all Wii U digital purchases made through Dec 2014
*Purchases made in the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii U do not qualify.
*Purchases made at the Nintendo eShop within the Nintendo 3DS do not qualify.
Exchange points to receive activation codes by Mar 2015
Activation codes earned must be redeemed at the Nintendo eShop by the end of June 2015
There is no deadline to use funds once added to your balance in the Nintendo eShop\
*Funds can be used for Wii U or 3DS purchases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Silver Striker posted:

Monster Hunter, WWHD, and Wonderful 101 are all great choices. Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101 are very much acquired tastes in that they fill pretty specific niches, and that they have pretty lame demos. I'm a huge fan of them though, and got tons of hours of gameplay out of them.

I would suggest Monster Hunter for sure, knowing that it's best enjoyed if you're able to play online and it has some of the best online interaction despite being an upgraded version of an originally-Wii title. Party voice chat, easily inviting and joining on friends, chat between in-mission/in-lobby/just-connected players, and it will even tell you if your Wii U friends are playing but in singleplayer mode so you can go bug them.

It can be less thrilling playing on your own though, and even playing with general people will get you farther since most people are fairly willing to share information and work together.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Might it be worth listing good Wii games in a second post for people who skipped over the past console? That's another semi-common question from the last thread.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

[*](Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, some people swear by this version)

Well it IS the best version and I've played it a few times despite also having played it on both GC and PS2. It's aged incredibly well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

Put (2) next to Super Mario Galaxy. Then take out Fluidity and Lost Winds as who knows how long the Wii shop will be up for and for those 3 spots throw in Last Story, Brawl and No More Heroes 2 and lets call it a day and never speak of this OP again.

Sounds like a plan.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You can hit the home button and turn off the gamepad in the options, although Netflix in particular will halt playback if you push the home button so watch out for that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

JakeP posted:

Give toad a gun

Give Toad a gun? Weapons and equipment o.s.p. son.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

SMG2's "final" level is better.

Why you gotta play SMG1 first.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I wish I had gone digital for NSMBU because then I'd be able to easily play the challenges whenever I feel like it without having to find a disc.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

What will us WiiU owners do without Call of Duty oh noooo

You know I really did enjoy the control customization options when I played Call of Duty Reflex on the original Wii, although the game itself had that annoying infinitely spawning enemy thing that the old COD titles featured.

Whatever though, Battlefield on PC is an overall better game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

what fish?

I spent all my money on magic upgrades and a new suit of armor at this new town

Check this walkthrough, it's pretty obvious

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fremry posted:

Honestly, most annoying thing about MK8. "We've got a poo poo load of characters to unlock!" And most of them are the unforgettable koopalings from Super Mario World, followed by baby versions of regular characters and your own avatar. I love the game, but I have no desire to unlock the rest of the characters.

Koopalings are from best game ever Mario 3, actually :eng101: I would totally play Lemmy all the time if he's a character in Smash, except if Shulk is going to actually make it in.

Whether they read them or not, my Nintendo survey for why I buy Smash will need to just have "Shulk" as every answer.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I have save data for Xenoblade and SSBB on my Wii. I'd like to move only the data for Xenoblade to my Wii U and leave the SSBB on my Wii so I can continue using my GameCube controllers to play it. What's the easiest way to pull this off?

I posted about this in the old thread and then never followed through, and now I can't find it. I'm sorry for being an rear end in a top hat and asking again.

Homebrew your Wii, so that you can back up its entire memory onto an SD card. Do the transfer process, then use your homebrew to restore. Never reconnect your Wii to the Wii shop or it will erase any shop games you have.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

For all five of you who are following my Mario playthrough...

Finally beat Mario Bros 3 properly! Well, if by properly you mean "with a walkthrough next to me for the last half of the game and using some of the 1up tricks other goons mentioned".

Still, I felt like a goddamn boss getting to the final world. And weirdly enough, the final world isn't all that tough. Looks way more imposing than it actually is. But world 7? With all the plants and mazes and goddamn tricky rear end levels? Yeah, that's what stymied my childhood.

And while I just worked a 15 hour shift (last day of the summer job) and don't feel like rambling out a review - I will say that it is easy to see why SMB3 is still so beloved. It's not the most balanced mario game out there, but it is absolutely exploding with new ideas and items and gimmicks and themes.

There's something awesome about them putting in so many items for the hell of it. I frankly much prefer super mario world's One Item storage box, but holding onto over 30 powerups in SMB3 feels gamebreaking in the very best sort of way.

And while I still wish more levels had more opportunities for mario to power up within the level itself, the level design really is impeccable. For most of the game, the developers do hand you the things you want - if you know where to look. So if you're playing as super mario and there's a secret pipe you have to fly to, there's a good chance somewhere in the level is the racoon leaf.

About to play Super Mario world for the first time in nearly a decade - but this is one game I've already beaten. Never did find all the exits or beat all the star road levels though.

Congrats. Did you get all the whistles? The game has a built-in speedrun catapult once you have two of them, which you can get in the first world relatively quick. If you warp while on the warp screen, it takes you to the final world.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse? Because that is how I feel about the Wii U after having it for less than a week.

I love this console. 3D World feels like a game I will still want to play once in awhile years from now. Between that and Link Between Worlds on the 3DS I am very pleased with Nintendo's games lately.

Another satisfied customer.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Morby posted:

So is Mario Maker basically a spiritual successor to Mario Paint? Please say yes.

They already showed the little flies exist, and talked about adding music creation at e3 from what I remember. Maybe I am talking out of my rear end but I think that plus more game style options were things tezuka(?) mentioned.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, he said he wants to add more visual styles as well as elements from outside of the Mario universe. The version shown at E3 was really very basic.

I can't loving wait to create my own Zelda 2 levels with Piranha Plants.*

*Was not confirmed to actually be possible but I can dream

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

The final boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze is impossible and goes on for way way way too long. Been stuck on it for over 2 months now.

Never ended up beating the DS DK game either because it was some bullshit, after the rest of the game was a piece of cake. Now you've got me worried about this new game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Are NES Remix Pack and Ultimate NES Remix just the other two games packaged as one game?

The NES Remix 1+2 retail combo is the two games together (16+12 NES titles). Ultimate is 16 NES titles, don't know what pool they're drawing from.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

whaley posted:

It's been a while since I played my copy but doesn't it only have two attacks per weapon?

My preferred weapon (dual swords) have something like twelve or thirteen attacks, two operating modes, and three infinite-attack chain options.

The starter sword and shield has less offensive options but easy/safe infinite chains, can block, and can use items whenever. Each weapon's going to feel different.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

First time playing Xenoblade you should do all the quests.

Do not skip one.

Don't listen to this guy, trying to do all the quests will reap your taint. When you reach Alcamoth that's a great time to get choosy with your sidequests.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

axleblaze posted:

I think the biggest problem I had with Xenoblade (outside of it just being too big) was I rarely saw a point in not using Shulk/Reyn/Sharla. It's just the perfect combo of Attacker/Tank/Healer and I rarely found use for anyone else. I did also enjoy playing as Melia and thought she had the most fun gameplay but party wise it still just didn't fit together as well. I'd experiment with other party combos but every time I'd switch back things would just always go way smoother.

How's this for a reason: Sharla is the worst. You shouldn't need to be stuck with a healer unless you're trying to support a speed-tank setup versus bosses way above your level, and in that case, Reyn doesn't belong at all since he'll draw aggro and die regardless of defense and health between your healing application.

I mean if you had fun with it, great, but you missed out on a lot of great mechanics and chatter. Seven/Rikki/Melia is absurd, hope you like chain attacks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

BexGu posted:

So I picked up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate from the Capcom Wii U Sale. This is my first ever Monster Hunter game, any suggestions?

Try everything, and read the manual for the weapon you're trying.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

For MH3 do enough singleplayer to know what you're doing and not make a total rear end of yourself, then maybe play some online networked stuff for a while (talk to Neko Means Cat on the western side of the village). You can have people help you try some different things out, the stark majority of pubbies expect to take turns picking quests, are either confused about what they should do next, or don't mind letting you volunteer to pick something that appeals to you.

You can hop back to singleplayer whenever, or do any multiplayer stuff solo, and all your gear stays the same. Exceptions are special arena quests where you pick from pre-set loadouts and do a time trial thing, these can be a good way to experience different armors/skills/weapons but the fights can be rough if it's your first time against a monster.

Anyhow we've got a thread!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Did you ever play Motherload back in the day? It's like that, with a thin plot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Policenaut posted:

What's kind of why I loved Metal Gear Rising, because that game's approach to plot is like 9/10ths anime power worship set to heavy metal and it doesn't waste a whole lot of time on the specifics. Those specifics are still there, as the game has an absolutely ridiculous amount of codec calls you can hear, but generally the cutscenes revolved around Raiden loving people up and doing cool ninja stuff.

I hosed up and missed all the non-mandatory codecs until I beat the game and was going through my unlocked abilities, concept art, and all that when I stumbled across the codecs section that apparently has hours of chatter I skipped :negative:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

New Super Luigi enables a character who is invulnerable to enemies and can steal powerups from other players. Perfect for co-op or counter-op.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I vaguely recall something where Kirby or Metroid or another game was part of that 30 cent promotion that happened right after being offered for 200 points, and everybody who grabbed it got their points refunded.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

All this talk about Kirby has made me go download it :toot: 200 coins well spent.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This Captain Toad thing looks pretty good, I want to try this volcano level.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zelda 2 described as "Greatest Game Ever."

e: "I learned this trick from Scott's mom"

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 12, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bill Cosby disguised himself as Link in a hoodie and is playing as the antagonist from Skyward Sword in Hyrule Warriors.
e: And is talking Zelda timelines to mock people who care about that thing

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Don't you dare play with my heart this way.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

So here's a glitch, if I open "MarioKart TV" in MK8, it now stops working and tells me my USB storage is bad. Is this a known issue with a fix? Is there some data I can delete that's not my race/unlock data?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the real issue with GameStop is their other lovely business practices like opening up games, handling the discs (potentially lending them out to employees in the process) and still selling the game as "New" because it wasn't a trade-in.

Don't forget with Xenoblade, opening up actually-new games to then explicitly sell as "used" for a markup instead of for the original price since they had an exclusive deal with Nintendo for distribution.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm not buying another widescreen TV unless it has buttons and joysticks lumped on the sides.

We've got a TV at work that has a buttons-and-joystick control for its menu system. It's loving awful.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

They literally say KATANA in the older Wario Ware game for the Wii if you had that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Let's just hope it turns out better than the last original Star Fox game.

One of the endings was "Fox and Falco get sick of this poo poo, and turn their ships into fzero racers instead"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

I like Miyamoto but he really needs to stop re-inventing the wheel. Sticker Star was George Lucas levels of not understanding the appeal of your product.

I heard that one was in response to club Nintendo survey feedback. Probably an overcorrection for Super Paper Mario, which is too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's okay. There's a decent selection of indie stuff, a smattering of crap like Meme Run and a big list of games that are supposed to come out but never do.

Wait, that's real?

• Locked thread