Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

TotalBiscuit posted:

Ok, need a little bit of assistance on this one. I've got a bit of background in UK law but this involves someone in the US.

I put together a Youtube video a few days ago with a view to it going viral and promoting my site and other projects. It did, however someone decided it would be good to take a chunk of the footage, unaltered and create a 'parody' video. Now to the best of my knowledge, he does not qualify for protection under parody law or fair use. He did not alter the footage, he did not credit the footage, he did not ask permission to use the footage and I own the footage in full. There was no 'parody' going on, it was just a 20 or so second chunk of my footage, including my unaltered voice, cut into a piece of his work.

I filed a copyright claim, on the basis that this guy actively went out of his way to taunt and harrass me about the video, so hey, why not? Protecting my IP is entirely reasonable right? I informed him before doing so that I could in fact 'do poo poo to him' contrary to what he claimed and that his video did not qualify under US parody law.

This dumbass has filed a counterclaim with Youtube, which means I'm now obliged to go after him and file a court action under the DMCA. In counterclaiming, he perjured himself and provided his full name and address for the purposes of filing.

I don't see any reason to let this guy get away with his behaviour, particularly when he went so far out of his way to try and rub it in my face. So the question is two-fold.

1) Is my understand of US copyright law correct? Is using a chunk of unaltered footage, without permission protected by parody law or not?

2) How would I file such a thing? I live in the UK, this guy is in Alabama.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I'd also like to know how much it would cost to file. I'd imagine he will back off when that happens so I won't need to go any further.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Motherboard.com posted:

various prominent figures in the video game industry, including a writer at Kotaku.

lol

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

um Im not sure that pic is allowed in gibbis

otoh, it is hilarious

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I just went to google so loving hard because I wanted this to be true but in my heart I believed it wasn't and lmfaoooo

https://twitter.com/reverendanthony/status/465308791165030402

what a loving loser holy poo poo.

holy poo poo.

jackyl posted:

who is this guy besides a loser?

ahahahaha holy poo poo he is the brother from Hey Ash Whatcha Playin?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

uh oh, is 4chan getting hacked now?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Biggie Shorty posted:

How does all this stem from one homely Z-tier game dev wanna be? It's mind boggling! No pussy can be that good!

...can it?

you will have to cuck her bf to find out

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Baller Time posted:

That thing on her temple? That's the button that activates her vibrating pussy.

It must be the button that opens up the fat suit so the woman that men would actually want to gently caress can step out of it

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I thought the nudes were proven to be fakes?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

"I beat the Gamers and will move on to my next challenge: New Gamer+" -Zoe 'Cuckmaster General' Quinn

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lobster Harmonica posted:

people willingly spend their money on nothing in order to get some lights to flash a certain way on their screen

:ironicat:

how is this different from AAA titles?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

MizPiz posted:

The fact there are over 10,000 posts in this thread makes you all more pathetic than literally anyone actually involved in this story.

the fact you have a newbie av makes you more pathetic than literally anyone with a real avatar

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

oh great how many AA batteries is it gonna take to get him

man those 90's, they were a time.

psp uses a rechargeable battery

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

zen death robot posted:

Zoe Quinn just cheated on her boyfriend so the term "cuckold" or "cuck" is being misapplied here. Good work GBS.

wrong-o

"Cuckold historically referred to a husband with an adulterous wife and is still often used with this meaning."

They are not married, but whatever it still applies.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

this is their job

I am a Games "Journalism" Journalist and my medium of choice is the general forum of a defunct pay-to-post forums website that few people outside of its active users even pay attention to anymore. I get payed by the page.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

rizuhbull posted:

And before patreon? What did Quinn do then? She's made a couple of lovely free flash games. Does she have a day job?

hooker

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

who the gently caress pays their rent in cash, let alone carry it all on them

people born during/right before the Great Depression? although I guess they dont have to carry it very far to get from mattress to landlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

rainy day posted:

People at Kotaku and The Escapist go to parties hosted by EA and get free, one-of-a-kind videogame swag and no one gives a poo poo.

swag really can't hold a candle to sex though

• Locked thread