Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ilor posted:

Is it just me, or are their heads disproportionately tiny?

No, not just you. The heads would be small even if they weren't helmets. Given that the helmets have heads inside, presumably, these guys are total pinheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goatface posted:

That is a very small assault boat.

I still have three of these, unpainted, from just before I gave up hamming at secondary school. I genuinely like the models.

E:

spectralent posted:

Wait does it have a twin-linked plasma cannon turret that can't elevate? :psyduck:

Presumably the whole vehicle changes angle in order to elevate/depress the turret.

Far worse is the fact that the plasma gun turret appears to fire BARELY over the head of the front gunner, if at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hooman posted:

The space marine driving that thing can see like, above horizontal forward, and to his left and that's it.

God help him if anything is slightly below him and ahead or to his right, he's never going to see it coming.

TBH, he;s wearing a hypertech helmet, I always assumed that SM pilots had the feeds from hullmounted camera just piped directly into their eyes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My immediate thought was to wonder why they've modelled their battlenun shooting herself in the head with her own rifle.

THen I looked harder at what was going on with the hands.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dragon Ogre legs and torso, lictor arms, scrunt face, handmade wings I think? Perfect for this thread.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nurgle has worked sometimes when they've incorporated more of the aspects of corruption, not to mention insects etc. But it was always meant to be rot, disease and corruption of the living rather than just death and decay. But yeah, they really missed a trick not having nearly skeletonised marines with their armour hanging off them and stuff.

I've always thought Slaanesh works best when it's just excess. It's gluttony to the point of bursting. It's beauty to the point of surgeries that make you look like a frog. Or Joan Rivers. It's poopsocking because you can't stop playing your favourite game. For that matter, it's not buying your kids juice so that you can buy the latest jewel-like objects of wonder... It's... a goon a while back posted a story about a traditional game around Cinco de Mayo time I think where there's a kiss-cam type thing, but the person on camera is expected to flash, and if they don't, the crowd goes loving insane until they do. That's not telling it well, but the way it was told... that's Slaanesh.

The sex demon bit is just tame, it's not thinking deeply enough about what being the corrupted god of pleasure, hedonism and excess should be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My feel with SC marines has always been that they just have their arms crossed inside the chest piece and hold the controls for them there.

They are, however, not as stupid as you might think:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...iw=1600&bih=737

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Are these from the new movie?

Sadly not. The new movie is sorely lacking in cool spaceships.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

So is that post

Uglies rule I will fight you

(Some of those do look p bad though, and it staggers me how much money people have spent making them. Presumably they had bought ridiculous amounts of stuff they didn't need for a tiny number of cards they wanted.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

X-Wang uses dice for attack and defense and everyone who's played it with any regularity probably knows what it's like to roll five green dice for defense as someone shoots your valuable-but-fragile ace pilot from extreme range through an asteroid and you wind up getting all blanks while he one-shots you, but a huge part of X-Wing is essentially bound up in risk mitigation or in other words the best defense is not getting shot at in the first place, so the answer there to "what am I supposed to learn if the dice keep loving me?" is learning how to outmaneuver your opponents and leverage your ships' actions to maximize your chances to shoot at them while not being shot at in return and that's where the meat of the game is, not in rolling fistfuls of dice back and forth until someone gets bored and concedes. There are good ways to utilize randomness in games and bad ways. GW unsurprisingly utilizes it in bad ways because they're a poo poo company that makes awful games.

Also, X-wing's dice are a lot simpler than most games' and a lot easier to predict as a result, plus dice manipulation (at least on the attack, on the defensive less so) is a lot easier to achieve than in most games. I feel like a lot of dice combat games would benefit from having custom dice rather than relying on standard d#s.

Nonetheless, the dice are the worst part of the game for me, and I wish they had used a more deterministic method of combat resolution.

But I still enjoy playing it, so anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jodai posted:

Aren't custom dice just a way to sell extra stuff for the game? Would it be different if instead of "roll 3 attack dice, look for bursts" it was "roll 3 d8, 7 hits, 8 crits"? Focus is just rerolling 1s etc. I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky because I always wonder if there's really a point to custom dice beyond adding flavor to a game.
This is true. But I've found that there's a lot of temptation when you're writing a system with d#s rather than custom dice, to try to use the numbers in stupid ways. If all you have on your die is hit/crit/focus/miss you'll be a lot less tempted towards dumb design.

That being said, yes, they are a way to make you buy more stuff. Most obsessed x-wing players wind up with at least two core sets, because they don't actually give you enough dice to play the game in one of them. That's the other reason the dice bug me.

Fortunately, they're the worst part about an otherwise excellent game, and they're not as bad as they could be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Melta Ogre is mechanicus as poo poo.

None of that is actively bad; the Volus Tuck is a little unskilled, but I think it's unfair to put it in this thread.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JcDent posted:

Notice the drilled holes, sublty loving the model into unusability.

This makes me genuinely surprised no-one's done a trypophobia-themed Nurgle army.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

You know what we need? Southern apologia about the "Northern War of Aggression." From Facebook...

http://imgur.com/a/xNzr0

The conversion work on the scopedog looks nice, but seriously whythefuck? Of course, the comments on the Facebook thread are about what you'd expect, with one loan warrior of truth trying to speak to the MRW menace about states rights and otherwise being a slavery apologist.

This is sad, because that Dreadknight conversion actually doesn't look dumb AF like most dreadknights.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yet another one of those posts where I admire the talent but despair at the content.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GW's early paints had a REALLY good greenskin ramp which made painting greenskin skin a dream.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Uh... Thank you imgur frontpage ?

http://imgur.com/gallery/xi45K :nws:ish

drat, those are some big...

hands.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb posted:

I wonder what the mood was like in Russia when AoS was announced?

It's not like they haven't been recasting the whole of warhammer in Russia for a decade, they probably didn't care.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm guessing X-wing's mostly flat surfaces leads to much better prepainted minis than typical humanoid figures because I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't look like rear end.

I've seen ones that aren't THAT terrible though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JcDent posted:

That would make sense, because the limbs look robotic to me. It's either that, or rowboat has Slenderman limbs.

EDIT: Photoshop finds a use for Girlyman

And a pretty good use it is too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JcDent posted:

That's basically the reason I was given why I can't have a bloody powerfist.

Though I always understood power fields as weakening the target matter for the actual -sword or -fist to then cut or crush, rather than being literally lightsabers.

Most of them are.

Eisenhorn had the literal-lightsaber variant for a while though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sadly, pin-ups on ships are pretty common in x-wing.

Some people seem to be doing it ironically or in reference to classic WW2 bomber paintjobs.

Others are just creepy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

"I know how paint a snake perfectly but not a woman's body"

This is not really surprising TBH. He;s equally bad at painting both, we're just a LOT better at recognising human skin than we are snake scales.

If you were a snake you'd probably be saying the opposite.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

I would entirely believe it if you told me that was a looted ork vehicle.

This was my immediate thought, compounded by the gun thingy on the very top having an ork green part, which in the thumbnail I assumed was an ork sticking his head out of the turret.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That doesn't look terrible?

It's better painted than an awful lot of 'pro painted' stuff on ebay, but it's weathered and subdued rather than being vibrant and poppy, and the photography is not so well done.

The freehand is a bit poo poo though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Just to try to make a teachable moment out of enamel hell: the correct way to do eyes is to make them black and put white over it, rather than white and try to make the eyeballs line up, right?

You can do it either way, but if you wind up with buggley eyes like these paint some flesh tone over the xposed whites top and bottom.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I noticed that in the announcement article. FFG have had some goofy loving sculpts in Imperial Assault, but Legion is supposed to be better.

That is... not.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LashLightning posted:

Possible that they just don't want to pay Harrison Ford for his likeness, and thus we get a duff model.

I'm pretty sure Disney have the rights to Harrison Ford's likeness as Han Solo in Star Wars. It's not like the card art sucks balls.

And the are the license holders.

It's just a poo poo mini. Even the IA Solo is better. It's a little derpy but it's recognisable when painted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Is it weird that I can respect the skill involved and the "dissolving" effect, but utterly hate the model?

Wasted talent is my most common complaint by FAR in this thread.

I have a lot more respect for people who are earnestly trying and loving up for lack of skill, than I do for people who are AMAZING artists and choose to paint hideous poo poo like the infamous eldar rape diorama.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

All I see is "Sltit"

This, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be 'slut' with the cross on the T for some reason crossing the U as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's just a haunted armour thing?

It's cool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

..column golem?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yah, confederate flags on disgusting rat people seem apt.

Though I'm assuming the guy who lovingly painted it didn't think of it that way...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

None of these comparisons make any sense.

The Confederacy was a gentlemen aristocracy living on slave labor plantations and used racist and religious arguments to justify themselves.

Skaven don't justify poo poo to anybody and plot world domination from inside a goddamn sewer. They're a conspiracy theory come to life.

I'm not talking about what the confederacy WAS - they wouldn't have worn their flag as a cloak, for one thing.

I'm talking about what people who wear the confederate flag are currently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This goes all the up to middle/upper class people tho, don't buy into the typical stereotypes

Middle class people can be disgusting rat people too. Indeed, the ones who wear and fly the confederate flag mostly are.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I thought the service studs were a marine-only thing?

I don't think so. I've seen them on other Imperials - and it'as not like 40k lore is remotely consistent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb posted:

No I've seen a couple if things and gone no deeper. That one made me wonder though as the shell is clearly a suit of armor, even if she does have horns.

Where did this thing start anyway? Deviant art?

Nintendo. It started at Nintendo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb posted:

Also, The Big Bang.

I mean, yes, but genuinely the Bowsette thing started with an official Nintendo product featuring said character.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

No.

It started because they gave Toadette a poerup that turned her into a version of Peach with Toadettes hair and hat called Peachette. Twitter immediately started recycling horny Peach art where she had Bowser trappings and inaccurately called it Bowsette. There is no official Bowsette.

THE INTERNET LIED TO ME.

I am 100% shook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Haha I thought it was holding blueprints

Ditto