Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I thought there might be some kind of legit strategy reason for Josh's Baylor vote that I couldn't think of when I was watching, but after reading this thread it just seems like he was overthinking and overplaying it. Wonder if Baylor will figure out it's him and will turn on him for it?

Nadya was pretty dumb. Even if she didn't realize that saying the whole "one of the girls" poo poo might offend Josh, there was really no reason for her to say it again at Tribal and let all the guys know who the betraying vote would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like the edit is set up for Jeremy to do himself in because he gets too pissy about his wife

lol if he's gonna act like he's totally outraged about Rocker's past when he was willing to be a season long ally with him the day before

Also, Val hosed up by saying all that idol stuff before Rocker even had a chance to let her know about the deal with her hubby

savinhill fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 2, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The worst was when Rocker told her about the vote splitting plan and how she had to play an idol after and she still maintained the lie. Did she not understand that she was definitely getting voted off at this point without her imaginary idol?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Rocker did not seem shocked by the 4-4 tie and blamed Val for not playing her idol, which makes me pretty sure he was in on the strategy.

This was because it was the plan that just about everybody knew about and had agreed upon, including Val. There was a scene where Rocker told Val about this plan and said she needed to play her idol before the revote and Val chose not to tell him the truth, preventing any chance of a new plan being made to save her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man I hope Rocker makes it far. He's the kinda rear end in a top hat I enjoy watching and rooting for. Kenny loving Powers!

JakeP posted:

I want rocker to win it all

Yeah, I totally agree with both of you. He's the most interesting and entertaining person so far this season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

If I was on the show, I'd wait until about 30 seconds after Jeremy got really excited and then remind him that his wife is now locked in isolation with John Rocker for the remainder of her time there.

lol, yeah.

With Rocker gone there's noone left I really like on this season. I liked Jeremy before but he comes off as such a big dumb baby and hypocrite after tonight's episode, and Josh is hard to like with the edit he's getting when most of the strategy he discusses makes no sense or contradicts itself. Hopefully someone else steps up and gets more airtime next episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Jeremy is developing into my early favorite but I started not liking him so I don't think I'm biased. I thought he was overplaying early but he seems like he might have a good handle of this game. But it's hard to tell since we've seen so little of his tribe. Next week should shine more of a light on them judging by the preview.

But yeah, unless I completely skipped a segment of the episode the idea that he assumes Rocker voted out Val because she's black is entirely fantasy and/or speculation. Jeremy was pissed Rocker broke his word. You can call that petty or short sighted or whatever but I never heard him make it about race.

And the Rocker defense is bizare, especially since people seem to be missing the fact that his own tribe was upset at his behavior and his #1 fan Wes called him "a virus." Hell, his girlfriend was yelling at him to shut the gently caress up. Rocker is a bigot and a terrible Survivor player but above all else he's an rear end in a top hat. How shocking that being one doesn't get you far in Survivor. Lord knows that's not a lesson we've learned time and time again on this show.

And again, he admitted to his alliance that he had been plotting against them to honor a side deal with Jeremy and Val. And then told them he had an idol he'd been keeping secret. Even if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat he still had proven himself untrustworthy and a bad ally you'd have to,be worried about down the line.

While Jeremy didn't say that Rocker shafted his wife cuz she's black, he definitely did try to play it off like it may have been a factor to his tribe and acted like he was all morally outraged about Rocker when the episode previous he was willing to have a season long alliance with him. Assuming he did actually believe it is about as valid as people buying into the whole Rocker being some huge corrosive influence on his tribe narrative that it benefited the tribemates blindsiding him to establish. I don't remember any scenes of him causing drama with his tribe, the only time he said anything confrontational to anyone was when the other tribe relentlessly attacked him. I don't see the producers leaving any Rocker drama footage on the cutting room floor, they'd be all over that poo poo. So, what, the cameramen missed all that stuff?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
drat, what a crazy episode, so much chaos in that tribe it woulda made Kass proud.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

I liked how that tribe broke down, because it gave everyone a fighting chance to stay in the game.

I was surprised Jaclyn sided with Baylor and her mother considering that Baylor kind of screwed her, but I guess Jaclyn and Dale were also on opposite ends of the camp, and Dale and Kelley are bigger threats than Missy and Baylor.

I thought it was the wrong move for them. Dale and Kelly seem much more likely to stay loyal and Jacklyn knows that Baylor is in tight with Josh, adding all types of uncertainty for post-merge. Dale being annoying is a bonus, you already got a prepackaged excuse if you need to jettison him and he's probably the least threatening player in the game.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

DaisyDanger posted:

Yeah, considering they won't let anyone die of starvation, they will need to go in with an offer that won't be refused. I'm guessing shelter gets taken away as it did in Australia, though that is boring.

Edit: I also liked Kelley, but that's only going off of the poo poo with Drew. Unsurprisingly, there wasn't much else of her shown!

She had potential. She seemed as perceptive and strategy-smart as anyone else this season, and judging by how blunt & honest she was about her father, could've been good in the confessionals if she got far enough to actually have a decent amount of screen time devoted to her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

This was a fairly boring episode, but I'll always treasure Alec telling us he's a meat collector :allears:

Jeremy's on notice for me because of his tsk-tsking the gays showing affection. That seemed icky to me.

We almost got the white guy winning the challenge due to superior rhythm, but Missy hosed that up.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Probst giddy about what fantastic TV it was then throwing out a vague threat about if people do it again seems pretty weak to me. Even if they did implement a stiffer penalty like sending them to tribal it's still a good deal for all but one member of that tribe.

They won't let someone starve and die on the show, so there isn't any serious danger. Unless they avoid tribe shuffles entirely they can't really punish a tribe too harshly for actions taken place before half of them got there.

It would be unfair but I think it would be great for the show, bringing all types of potential hate and resentment that normally wouldn't be present into the mix.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
John and Jackylyn are so dumb if this is the time they decide to jump alliances.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Maybe it was just the editing, but it was really weird that Josh was the only person in his alliance trying to do anything to salvage their numbers. It's not clear that Wes, Keith, and Alec are even aware of the trouble they're in, and if Reed's plan consisted of anything other than "hope Josh wins back Baylor" we certainly didn't see it.

They've been doing a lovely job of showing players working their strategy(or even talking about it in confessionals) unless it directly affects that episode's tribal. Like the first words out of Josh's mouth tonight were about how badly he needed Jeremy to get voted off and they never bothered showing anything from Josh before this that might hint that he felt so strongly about Jeremy. They probably do it to make the show more unpredictable or whatever but I'd rather see peoples' strategies displayed more openly all season.

Same thing with Keith, I had no idea that he'd feel this betrayed by Missy cuz they never really showed anything to indicate that they were supposed to be tight allies.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 6, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Ignore this if you mean it's only dumb now that Julie quit.

Because otherwise, not really. If they stick with Jeremy, they'll think they're in great shape in his alliance because 2 pairs = 4, which outnumbers Natalie/Jeremy/Julie. And there's no way Jeremy lets that group stay around until F7 when the alliance has to target itself and he goes home because the 3 singles are outnumbered. He'll recruit the 2 remaining singles in at F9, and we'll get a 5-4 #Blindside with one of the pairs going home. After that he'd be in great shape as part of the 3-2 majority within his new alliance. Vote out Missy and with Josh gone he may even be lucky enough that Baylor will understand why he had to get rid of her mom, leaving him safe until at least F5.

I think the chances of them being targeted are much higher, and would happen earlier, on the Josh team. There's really noone there that they have any strong ties to. Wes and Alec have been tight with Josh from the get-go, Keith feels betrayed by them after the latest tribal and knows John voted for him once before that too, and Reed is basically an extension of Josh game-wise. It's also telling that neither Josh, Wes or Alec even brought up the idea of approaching Jacylyn for flip talk.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Jeremy's alliance management is poo poo, and he essentially let his own alliance-mates poo poo on Julie when he absolutely needed her not to quit. He should have had a person on her 24/7 to make sure she felt loved and important as soon as he noticed she was starting to fade. Also, it may be the editing, but the motherfucker will not stop complaining. I watch this show with my wife, and she went off to get a drink right after the immunity challenge ended and Jeremy came on to screen and apparently she was able to tell he was bitching again just from the tone of his voice.

I love this season, and Baylor is going to end up on the Final Three because the universe always picks the comedy option.

Yeah, Jeremy and Natalie have hosed up from the get go with Julie. I think Missy was the only one to try to console Julie and make it so she didn't feel completely alienated from her tribe/alliance when all the Rocker stuff went down.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The only thing I really liked about Josh was that he at least tried to play the game but he wasn't really any good at it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I liked Josh because at least he was trying to play the game... or so I thought. But I don't understand how he made absolutely no attempt to make Jaclyn feel more welcome or anything at all with Alec acting like that and Keith/Wes only making the situation worse.

He was busy chasing Baylor about what she "owed him" even though he didn't need her and had no chance of getting her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

He got voted off 6-5. He needed her.

Well he wouldn't have if he actually paid attention to the person who he had already gotten to agree to flip

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Jeremy's questioning of John was such a dumb play. He was talking in the confessional like he was being all subtle and tricky, but he made it into such an obvious interrogation that even John was able to easily see through it all.

Fast Luck posted:

Hmmm...

Natalie/Reed/Alec/Wes/Keith = 5
Missy/Baylor/Jon/Jaclyn = 4

Yup, I'd say Missy/Baylor/Jon/Jaclyn pulled the blindside trigger too early, they really should've waited til they whittled the numbers down a bit more. Out of everyone in the old majority alliance I'd say Natalie does have the best chance to pull those guys together as a temporary alliance. She's played a good social game and has seemed to be one of the few people not to take sides and alienate anyone whenever any poo poo is being stirred.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
As soon as Reed said his whole misdirection spiel about Wes I knew the vote was gonna get hosed by either Keith or Wes saying something stupid in response, fuckin annoying. Then they all vote how it was supposed to go anyway and Nat gets John to play his idol after saying she wanted to get revenge and get rid of him all episode, even more annoying

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

xbilkis posted:

If Natalie lets Jon get voted off without the idol, then Wes/Keith/Alec/Reed have equal numbers to the people Natalie has been the closest with all game, and there's incentive for Baylor/Missy to team up with the only other pair left in the game. She was right when she said she needed to wait another round to make her move.

Anyway that immunity challenge + tribal council was hilarious and it's good that we finally have an answer to the question 'is Keith kind of an idiot savant at this game or just really dumb?'

Mainly I just want the goofy prick gone but he's probably gonna win now after surviving such a close call. Natalie wouldn't have gotten any hurt feelings if it happened last night either, she would've still had the three other women on her side and the game's biggest threat to win it all gone, instead of a non-entity like Wes. Chances are she won't get such an easy opportunity to get rid of John again, especially now that J&J won't be so overconfident and complacent.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 27, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I had high hopes for Reed this episode. I thought this move was going to be a top 10 in Survivor history. Kieth hosed that all up.

Same here, thought I was going to have someone to root for that I liked and had an actual chance to win, but nope, we're getting the John show from here on out.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I wonder if people are going to be lobbying to get sent to Exile next week

Or if the dominant alliance members on the winning team will be smart enough to avoid sending someone they'll be voting out soon.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I don't get why people seem to be expecting Natalie to ride this five down the line. She was scheming last week with Baylor to take a shot at Jon this Tribal or next. As far as we can tell she has every intention to turn the tables on him, but she just wanted to shore up numbers first. So as crazy as last week's Tribal was it worked out more or less exactly as she hoped. So I assume the plan is still to lead Baylor on a revolt and to try and take out Jon one of these two episodes.

And of course there's Reed who will keep dancing and throwing people under the bus to save his rear end. And Missy who was weary of how easily Jon turned on Jeremy and has her daughter scheming to betray him.

I'd be very surprised if we just get a straight Pagonging tonight.

I hope you're right but I got the impression from last week's episode that Natalie has no intentions of even thinking of working with Reed and he seems like the best out of the three stragglers to work a plan with.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Absolute Zero posted:

That was an awful move by Natalie. It did nothing but throw shade on her and put Jon on the defensive (and ready to play his idol) and next TC. I was finally getting my hopes up that we might have a deserving winner in Natalie, and she had to go and blow it on that nonsense move :-(

Yeah, it was such a stupid move and coupled with some other things, like letting John go to exile and get an idol, letting him off the hook last week, and just seeming complacent about making a move til it's too late proves to me that Natalie isn't a good player. She does some smart things socially and is good at reading people, but she just doesn't think well strategically from what's been shown so far. We lost the last good, deserving player with Reed tonight, he really deserves to come back on another season just based on the past two weeks.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I gotta say Keith's idiot-savant-like gift for the immunity challenges is a welcome and funny surprise and makes what is usually one of the more boring parts of an episode more entertaining to watch. I would definitely be alright with him winning the whole thing, it would actually be perfectly fitting for the biggest idiot to be The Ultimate Survivor when there's nothing but idiots left.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

lol are you serious Natalie is a dolt

Another reason that her gameplay's bad is that as far as the jury can see she hasn't really done much yet. There's really no moves she can point to as her's yet, time is running out, yet she's passed up the opportunity two weeks in a row to remove the one person who is perceived by the jury as this season's biggest force, as well as not even thinking to remove his partner. Everything good gameplay-wise she's done is stuff that isn't apparent to the jury and she's running out of people to make her move with.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Met posted:

According to Alec on his exit interview on RHAP, Drew and Kat "how can I be date-able if I don't make the merge" Edorsson are "hanging out".

I liked the Reed interview. For those who haven't heard it, the Jeremy blindside started with Reed approaching Missy and pitching the idea to her, not with John or however it was presented on TV. Also, something about how that was supposed to help set up his plan for the next tribal with the vote-split betrayal.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I like Reed the best out of all of them so he's responsible if he says so

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I don't think Baylor's that bad either, her mother is way too overprotective though and hurts both of them when she overreacts like she did with Reed's "brat" comment.

Binary Logic posted:

I think it would an advantage for a single to be in F3 against J and J.
1. Their multiple flips have backstabbed (or front-stabbed) several jury members.
2. They could split votes between them.
3. They could start bickering at final tribal council. Or reveal what the other one said about some players, making them both look bad.

Natalie vs. J + J would probably win.
Natalie vs. Missy and Baylor at F3 would also probably win, since Missy has few fans on the jury (Jon will be butthurt bitter after she votes against him) and Baylor only has Natalie as an ally and maybe gets one vote from Alec.

Keith could potentially win against Missy and Baylor since he has former allies and his son on the jury. Reid would probably not vote for either of those 2 ladies because Baylor is a brat - and Missy defended her.

While Jeremy, josh and Reed may be mad or annoyed at J&J, they all seem like huge fans of Survivor and I think it's less likely for a fan of the show to let bitter feelings dictate their jury vote. Based on that, I don't think Natalie stands a chance against John at final tribal, she might be able to beat Jax if the jury views her as having just followed her boyfriend's lead.

Missy and Baylor, Baylor she beats. Missy's a tougher call. Do the jury members view Missy as one of her alliance's leaders, was she instrumental in bringing & keeping it together, or how much say did she have in the alliance's strategies? Does the jury perceive Nat as having just been a floater in the alliance like Baylor?

Nat should be able to beat Keith just by her tribal speech.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Milovan Drecun posted:

I think Josh and Jeremy (at least very early on) both liked Keith as a person, maybe Reed as well. But those are all dudes likely to vote on game play which is not going to help him.

On his RHAP interview Reed seemed to like Keith and had a sense of humor about "stick to the plan", so you're most likely right about his jury career.

I think Jaclyn is the best goat left in the game. The jury's probably not going to give her much credit strategy wise and she also has plenty to be targeted for by a bitter jury.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shakugan posted:

Disregarding meanness or pettiness or whatever, I absolutely adored Reed's speech. It was delivered so amazingly well, I couldn't believe it. He must have spent forever rehearsing that thing, because he delivered it flawlessly.

Dude clearly hates Missy, but he also did a good job of saying "hey, you should bring me back as a returnee". Because it is definitely going to happen after that evisceration.

Yeah, I loved that speech too even though I didn't think Missy deserved being singled out like that and felt really bad for her and Baylor. I thought Reed was one of a few people that might be deserving to come back just based on his play during his last couple of episodes, after that speech I'd say he's far and away the most deserving to return out of all this season's cast.

My favorite part of the finale was Keith's practice session and how it looked like he was talking to the monkeys at the beginning of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, his story would seem more reliable if it wasn't framed with that thing that never made any sense to me. The Baylor thing makes Josh sound deluded and like he can't really see beyond his perspective. So that doesn't speak well for "Missy was terrible to my boyfriend."

Now if Jeremy or someone else says it? Then that will lend some credibility to it. But Josh hurt his credibility with that Baylor thing.

I mean, even Reed said "Missy's a good person, I was just talking about her game." So Josh now saying "actually she was a horrible person who said nasty things about homosexuality and religion" seems to run counter to that.

Yeah, I agree. Also, if Missy was saying nasty stuff like that I don't see them editing it all out, especially on a season like this last one that didn't have any clear villains or as much drama.

• Locked thread