Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Wow, no wonder doctors and nurses are striking. I doubt those bio-suits are built to withstand a physical confrontation.

Also saw an article talking about food prices surging in many of the affected countries. Hungry, angry and scared patients escaping from understaffed hospitals is going to become increasingly common. At what point does it all crumble and hospitals close down and stop admitting ebola patients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I don't get how so many health care workers are getting infected with a virus that is transmitted by body fluids. I know that protective supplies are low but you'd think that gloves, a face mask and goggles would be enough to keep the whatever fluids might fly your way.

Also surprising to see that so many western doctors as well as accomplished African doctors are getting infected. I can undertstand how underequipped nurses get infected but how are these all star doctors getting infected as well? Are these hospitals covered in blood and vomit? I get that everyone else gets it through preparing/eating bushmeat and unsanitary funeral practices but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all the HCW infections.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unfortunately, its doing so at a time when its control efforts were expected to be allocated for the pre-Ebola FY16/17 WHO budget. Now, if Dengue and chikamungya (apologies spelling) become endemic in US while EVD remains exponential in Africa....simple mistakes may allow for nosocomial issues.

I'm working in the Caribbean and it is amazing how fast Chikungunya spread. Everyone I have talked to says it is incredibly painful and dengue pales in comparison to it. Joint and muscle pain can last for months to years after you recover. It's not deadly, but I can see the CDC focuses on it due to how much long term pain it can cause.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What is the situation in Venezuela? I'm living in Grenada right now which is only a stone throw away and there is a lot of cooperation between the two countries. Local Grenadian radio stations have picked up on the story but are only reporting what was shared in this thread a week ago.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

AA is for Quitters posted:

What's the current news on EV-68 and Chikungunya? At the moment, i'm far more afraid of those and West Nile than I am of ebola, especially as Chikungunya and WNV are both mosquito spread, and aint no stopping those things.

I'm a current peace corps volunteer in the Caribbean and Chikungunya is everywhere. It seemed like every other person on the island had it at some point in September. I don't think I've gotten it yet, but if I did it was super mild. It's not really something to worry about. Yea you'll be in a lot of pain but it usually stops after a week. It only really sucks for older people who can have muscle and joint pains for weeks or even years after recovering from the disease. Also, I've heard that once you get it you can't get it again, which is nice. So a part of me just wants to get it over with so that I can stop thinking that I'm about to get it every week.

Also, the people on my island are going crazy about ebola. There is a large medical school here with a small amount of African students and professors. Apparently a Nigerian guy landed on the island yesterday and all sorts of stupid rumors are spreading about him possibly having ebola. The chances of anyone coming over with ebola are super low but this tiny island would have a really hard time dealing with it if it did somehow make its way over.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Is it possible to make a dog sized level 4 containment suit for the dog? Then it could go outside and play while not posing a risk to others when not in isolation. Dogs have rights like people, join the movement. Cats should be culled immediately, they will be like the rats of the bubonic plague.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I don't care if prematurely killing the dog is a bad decision, it's a very, very unimportant decision.

I don't think you have thought about the consequences of a dog being infected with ebola AND rabies. Killer ebola dogs running around the streets would destroy American society.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
If this spreads to wealthy nations (or just japan) I guarantee we see a ton of money invested in robots capable of performing the basic functions of nurses and anyone else that has to regularly come in contact with potential ebola patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

joeburz posted:

I bet she can't wait to get home and see her dog.

You mean they haven't told her that they murdered her dog? They would never get away with that here in the States.

• Locked thread