Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
College Republicans try their hand at reaching young, female voters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOppsQJtL2M

Pohl posted:

Haha, where is that from? He sounds like a Liberal. I want to see how he qualified his remarks, however. Except for that ISIS part, obviously.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/09/29/foxs-ben-carson-ap-history-curriculum-would-mak/200933

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pohl posted:

Haha, where is that from? He sounds like a Liberal. I want to see how he qualified his remarks, however. Except for that ISIS part, obviously.

Pretty sure he's complaining about it being actual American history, instead of jingoist praise for the Founding Fathers. Also a shoutout to MLK to prove he's not just a Tea Party clone.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Eh, the ad takes 'You are your own brand' to its rational conclusion. However, it confuses the issue: are they selling me a wedding dress, or a candidate?

Further, what demographic group of white women is most likely to get married "right after graduating"? Not one likely to vote.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if there's any chance of politicians using the Ebola thing to fight for universal healthcare. Y'know, the uninsured are much less likely to go in to get checked up on minor symptoms. Then, oops, it's loving Ebola and it's too late and they've now infected people they've come into contact with. Appeal to people's sense of self-preservation. You can't even handwave it away as "they deserved it" or "they should have used the ER" because while symptomatic they're infecting other people.

I imagine it's also a great argument for increased paid sick leave.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of politicians using the Ebola thing to fight for universal healthcare. Y'know, the uninsured are much less likely to go in to get checked up on minor symptoms. Then, oops, it's loving Ebola and it's too late and they've now infected people they've come into contact with. Appeal to people's sense of self-preservation. You can't even handwave it away as "they deserved it" or "they should have used the ER" because while symptomatic they're infecting other people.

The hospital really hosed up by not asking if the patient had travel history to west africa. Now if you're uninsured and present with febrile symptoms, and answer 'yes' to the high-risk ebola screening question, you'll get personalized attention.

Is the government going to pay for this? If not, why would someone with ebola go to the hospital? Maybe its time for Obama to care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brannock posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of politicians using the Ebola thing to fight for universal healthcare.

Since there are virtually zero American politicians who have ever fought for universal healthcare, I'm going to go with "no".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Since there are virtually zero American politicians who have ever fought for universal healthcare, I'm going to go with "no".

Rahm Emanuel.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Brannock posted:

HAHAHAHA, you are funny, you think that US Corporations give a crap about the health of their employees. Have of em die to an ebola outbreak? Meh, hire some more college graduates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah if anything Repealing Obamacare is the Only Way™ to stop Ebola from getting your kids. Did you know Obama has a greater genetic similarity to most Ebola patients than most Americans?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brannock posted:

If those people worked harder, they would have earned the right to not die horribly in an epidemic. Duh.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Talmonis posted:

Pretty sure he's complaining about it being actual American history, instead of jingoist praise for the Founding Fathers. Also a shoutout to MLK to prove he's not just a Tea Party clone.

I know who he is, I just wanted the context of his remarks. The video is pretty awesome.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Brannock posted:

Much like Sandy Hook the right is doing the exact opposite of the reasonable response. In this case instead of "We need to improve healthcare" it's "If someone is sick they should be abandoned to die."

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 1, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Joementum posted:

Click here to see Jim McDermott (D-WA) dressed up in a Bruce Lee yellow jumpsuit.

realtalk Jim McDermott owns bones and I am so happy I get to vote for him

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Do you find it hard to type so much with only 9 fingers?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

If those people worked harder, they would have earned the right to not die horribly in an epidemic. Duh.

I know you're being facetious here, but the thing distinguishing the Ebola thing is that by not covering the uninsured sick or potentially-sick you're putting your other hard-working employees and God-fearing American citizens at risk. This is less of a "Sucks to be you" situation, which is why I originally wondered if it could be a strong political argument for universal coverage.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do you find it hard to type so much with only 9 fingers?

You want a more specific answer? America has universal healthcare. In 2009, I heard from Durbin that single payer was DOA in the Senate despite what the house may propose. Rahm was pro-universal healthcare, Durbin was against universal healthcare. However, universal care passed the house, passed the senate, and is now law in America.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brannock posted:

I know you're being facetious here, but the thing distinguishing the Ebola thing is that by not covering the uninsured sick or potentially-sick you're putting your other hard-working employees and God-fearing American citizens at risk. This is less of a "Sucks to be you" situation, which is why I originally wondered if it could be a strong political argument for universal coverage.

The problem with your argument is assuming that evidence, logic or cause-and-effect can sway ideology.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

The problem with your argument is assuming that evidence, logic or cause-and-effect can sway ideology.

Indeed, death to America, dehumanize yourself and embrace cynicism.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

You want a more specific answer? America has universal healthcare. In 2009, I heard from Durbin that single payer was DOA in the Senate despite what the house may propose. Rahm was pro-universal healthcare, Durbin was against universal healthcare. However, universal care passed the house, passed the senate, and is now law in America.

:it is a you are rahm emanuel joke:

He lost a finger from an infection after cutting it working at Arbys

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Further, what demographic group of white women is most likely to get married "right after graduating"? Not one likely to vote.

I don't know, there is a surprisinngly high proportion of young women who both care about politics and go to college looking for an MRS degree.

These already vote Republican, however.

Brannock posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of politicians using the Ebola thing to fight for universal healthcare. Y'know, the uninsured are much less likely to go in to get checked up on minor symptoms.

Probably not.

I am curious as to how this will affect national approval ratings as we hit the midterms and gear up for 2016 primaries, though. Republicans will hammer away with "flaky Dems failed to close borders and quarantine brown people, exposed America to pestilence", while the Dems should be able to spin "POTUS has commited more resources to stopping this disease than any ten governments combined, would have done more if he did not have to worry about a Republican HoR holding the purse strings".

Gonna be a PR battle if more cases turn up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

America only has universal healthcare in the states that opted into the medicare expansion and even then America only has universal healthcare on paper.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't know, there is a surprisinngly high proportion of young women who both care about politics and go to college looking for an MRS degree.

These already vote Republican, however.

Probably not.

I am curious as to how this will affect national approval ratings as we hit the midterms and gear up for 2016 primaries, though. Republicans will hammer away with "flaky Dems failed to close borders and quarantine brown people, exposed America to pestilence", while the Dems should be able to spin "POTUS has commited more resources to stopping this disease than any ten governments combined, would have done more if he did not have to worry about a Republican HoR holding the purse strings".

Gonna be a PR battle if more cases turn up.

Yeah, those demos already turn out and lean heavily R. If its an add targeting that base demo, sounds like they have a base turnout issue.

More cases will turn up. Its a matter of time and probability. How this Texas situation is handled, sets the tone for future cases: if you bankrupt the family, what incentive will future cases have to seek treatment?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tender Bender posted:

Much like Sandy Hook the right is doing the exact opposite of the reasonable response. In this case instead of "We need to improve healthcare" it's "If someone is sick they should be abandoned to die."

On that note some nutter called in a bomb threat there today.

I'd put money in it being a Sandy Hook Truther that did it

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

And the great thing about that "Culturally Relevant" ad is that its one size fits all. That's right, the ad is culturally relevant to Tom Corbett, Rick Snyder, Bruce Rauner, Bob Beauprez, Asa Hutchinson and Rick Scott.

quote:

CRNC national chairman Alex Smith told the Wall Street Journal that the ads are geared toward experiences young people have every day.

"How do you reach the generation that has their earbuds in and their minds turned off to traditional advertising?" she said. "It's our goal to start the conversation by presenting ourselves in a culturally relevant way."

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Didn't a judge just decide that Obamacare was illegal in states that didn't have their own website? The argument was that government subsidies were not legal in a situation where..... I don't even know what the argument was, it was so dumb. I'll find it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/judge-rules-against-white-house-on-affordable-care-act-111474.html
Yeah, he used the IRS as an excuse as to why it was 'unfair'.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 1, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pohl posted:

Didn't a judge just decide that Obamacare was illegal in states that didn't have their own website? The argument was that government subsidies were not legal in a situation where..... I don't even know what the argument was, it was so dumb. I'll find it.

Yes, I believe there's a circuit split over this, but I might be confusing an appeals decision. Basically the argument is that if you read only the section about the subsidizes it doesn't mention the federal exchanges only the state exchanges. Now sure, in the section on the Federal exchanges it says that the federal exchanges are the replacement for the state exchanges. Its a gotcha style argument that congress really intended the federal exchanges to get no subsides, please don't ask the bills authors though...

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

More cases will turn up. Its a matter of time and probability. How this Texas situation is handled, sets the tone for future cases: if you bankrupt the family, what incentive will future cases have to seek treatment?

One thing to take into account is that, unlike in Africa, survivors and their stories will be all over the American national news.

If one of them complains about long waiting lines and bureaucratic inefficiency, it will be a PR blow against government-run healthcare. If one of them complains about not going to the doctor earlier because they could not afford it, it will be a PR blow in favor of healthcare expansion.

Particularly with the first case being a non-American in Texas, I'm sure Texan candidates are already planning to rope it into anti-immigrant platforms.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

USPol October: Obama Brought the e-BALLA Virus

USPol October: Airstrike Them Harder (no not THEM!)

Also I'm taking notes of all the pro-Hillary folks in here so I can quote you back at yourselves when she continues Bush's Middle East first strike/war on everyone policy.

.... Ok?

Cause her likely foreign policy is noted as a plus by who, exactly?

She won't be worse than a R there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

One thing to take into account is that, unlike in Africa, survivors and their stories will be all over the American national news.

Only if they are white.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

If one of them complains about long waiting lines and bureaucratic inefficiency, it will be a PR blow against government-run healthcare. If one of them complains about not going to the doctor earlier because they could not afford it, it will be a PR blow in favor of healthcare expansion.

Particularly with the first case being a non-American in Texas, I'm sure Texan candidates are already planning to rope it into anti-immigrant platforms.

Especially if the schoolchildren contract EVD because of the hospital fuckup, and then one dies. Greg Abbott prevents their parents from sueing the hospital. Wendy Davis favors sueing hospitals when they done hosed up so bad. Why do you want your children to die of Ebola?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pohl posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/judge-rules-against-white-house-on-affordable-care-act-111474.html
Yeah, he used the IRS as an excuse as to why it was 'unfair'.
What is the makeup of the 10th circuit? Would they be expected to strike down the subsidies or not?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Now I'm just kind of wishing Lil Jon would end up as a hype man for political speeches.
:v:: America's tax and educational systems desperately need reform.
:whatup:: Yeah!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

My Imaginary GF posted:

Eh, the ad takes 'You are your own brand' to its rational conclusion. However, it confuses the issue: are they selling me a wedding dress, or a candidate?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

You know, the Mormons. I could completely see that ad here in Utah, but wtf Florida? Oh wait, Florida.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SubponticatePoster posted:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

You know, the Mormons. I could completely see that ad here in Utah, but wtf Florida? Oh wait, Florida.

So the ad isn't really aimed at young women voters; the ad is aimed at geriatric women to pressure them that they're uncool if they vote democratic.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

McAlister posted:

Edit:

Also there is no possible way we could have refused coverage based on intended use because we have to process a claim in two seconds of the pharmacy submitting it and we literally didn't have that information in the database. According to my training it would have been illegal to collect or store that info for us as we have no need to know it. Now rear end in a top hat doctors absolutely can refuse to provide RX's based in religion but that's out of scope.

No. The initial claim is refused. The doctor can then submit for prior approval, indicating a medical need for the medication. There would be some clinical staff making these decisions somewhere within the company you work for or the insurance company you contract with.

Phone posting here, but a quick read of the rest of your message insicates that you're largely in agreement with me - many insurance companies don't provide meaningful coverage for these meds.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Nate RFB posted:

What is the makeup of the 10th circuit? Would they be expected to strike down the subsidies or not?

Last time this came up, the likely next step was to have all 11(?) circuit judges review the ruling and the consensus was that the sane ones would outnumber the nuts and reverse the finding and re-harmonize the circuits so the SCOTUS wouldn't have any (valid) reason to want to review it.

At least I think that's the case I'm remembering.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Munkeymon posted:

Last time this came up, the likely next step was to have all 11(?) circuit judges review the ruling and the consensus was that the sane ones would outnumber the nuts and reverse the finding and re-harmonize the circuits so the SCOTUS wouldn't have any (valid) reason to want to review it.

At least I think that's the case I'm remembering.
That was for the DC court of appeals, with the expected result you just stated. The recent ruling was from a district judge in Oklahoma which would get appealed to the 10th circuit. If the 10th circuit strikes down the subsidies there would be a circuit split between Virginia's circuit (don't remember the number), the 10th, and the DC court. Which would astronomically increase the likelihood of SCOTUS making a ruling.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Secret Service director is resigning per the NYT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

The Warszawa posted:

Secret Service director is resigning per the NYT.

Good. Hopefully this will lead to even more hilarious/horrifying leaks about what else they've screwed up the last few years.