Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Not even accurate. I'm sure that title rightly belongs to someone in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

So, in a rare moment of people actually talking about relevant stuff on FB, I saw a friend's friend trying to convince him that a minimum wage hike to $15.00 would cause fast food prices to rise precipitously. This link was provided:

http://dailysignal.com/2014/09/04/wage-hike-fast-food-prices-infographic/

And the infographic in question for those who don't want to click:

Note the Heritage Foundation attribution at the bottom. My friend responded by saying he doesn't trust anything out of the Heritage Foundation and that the math is specious at best.

How much bullshit is this whole thing? How much bullshit is dailysignal.com, and what might I be able to add to show how full of poo poo the Heritage Foundation really is?

I love it when these assholes use Big Macs. That makes it so much easier to refute.

$16.88 minimum wage in Australia. Big Mac literally one cent more expensive

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

There's this paragraph right after that lovely bar chart:

That seems like assuming a worst-case scenario all around. Am I misreading it?

Ah, yes, raising your prices as a response to decreased demand in a market with tons of alternative products. That is a smart thing to do and doesn't conflict at all with the most basic supply and demand graphs these people love to point at.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

I think the standard response to this would be that all fast food places would be raising their prices as well, so they would remain competitive in that sense. Sounds like a weak argument, but I'm not sure how to refute it.

Somehow I doubt a universal raising of prices (if it even happened) would change the demand for food very much. People tend to need it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

Funny how none of you seem to be addressing the loss in hours worked.

Have fun working half the hours with your new higher minimum wage, assuming you still kept your job.

If those businesses could operate with less hours or less employees then they would already be doing so.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

WOMP WAHHH

The last part is especially funny. Yes, I'm sure Congress will be even more likely to pass immigration reform next year.

They'll pass immigration reform next year, but not the good kind like you want.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

computer parts posted:

There's still the filibuster, and they might be wary on ditching that since it's likely that they'll lose control of the Senate in 2016.

I think the filibuster will stay if the GOP ends up with 51 or 52. There's still enough old school guys in there that wouldn't want to see it go.

The problem is going to be budget bills and ridiculous attachments to standard poo poo that the government needs to operate. With both houses the GOP will pass the most outrageous budget they can and blame Obama when the shutdown occurs because he'll be the only person in the way of funding the government. It's going to be really bad.

I'm still holding out hope that some of the Republican senate candidates will say something incredibly stupid between now and the election.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember reading something a few months back about businesses in London installing spikes on the ground to prevent homeless people from sleeping there.

Hadn't heard of this so I looked it up and holy poo poo how did they ever get to the point of installing them without thinking about the huge legal liability issues.
(It was an apartment block and they've been removed since)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Amused to Death posted:

Also what exactly is the point in bottle deposits in an era of widespread curbside recycling?

Turning the homeless into roaming janitors?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I would have preferred chicken entrails, but I guess we all need to make compromises sometimes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Except that if the Democrats try to do something like the Tea Party they definitely shouldn't come up with a name like that for it. I still can't believe that the "Tea Party" is a real thing that we have to take semi-seriously.

(and yes, I'm aware that some idiot tried to start the "Coffee Party")

Yeah it sucks cause I really like tea and hate coffee.

Oh well guess I gotta hate the gays now

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Oklahoma State Rep. and Professor of Comparative Religion (probably?) John Bennett has some thoughts he'd like to share about the differences between Islam and Muslim.

If this is confusing you, are you going to include it on the exam, Professor Bennett?

Glad to see my 'anyone who uses air quotes is a douchebag' theory hold for another day.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Yessssssss, they've finally released the full list of coalition partners.

No Palau this time, but nice to see Andorra helping out. I wonder if we'll catch any flack from Greece about their coalition partner Macedonia (rather than FYROM).

Good, they didn't forget Poland

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Of course he was some crazy left wing climate change activist. Not sure why anyone would have ever guessed otherwise.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Technically one of them must be an illegal immigrant so better to grab them both and sort it out later.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Obama is a naturally likable guy who had a good team and the perfect climate for a victory in 2008 in both the primary and general. He's also not especially liberal and isn't a great negotiator, at least when dealing with people acting in bad faith.

It's not like any of this is some huge mystery at this point.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

computer parts posted:

I'd argue this was true at the beginning of his term but it's hard to argue this has been true since 2012. People do change over time.

Yeah, sort of. I think he's gotten over thinking or at least pretending that the other side is acting in good faith. I think he's more willing to take actions unilaterally where possible to sidestep negotiating.

I don't know if he's actually gotten better at the negotiating part, though, or if it would even matter if he did in the current political climate.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zoux posted:

Filmmaker and inveterate piece of poo poo Dinesh D'Souza is going to Jail Jr. for eight months.

He's the guy that made the movie about how the country would be destroyed by Obama if he got a second term.

"[Dinesh D'Souza's] purple belt karate skills"

lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ErIog posted:

Yeah, fat people don't feel enough shame! That's the ticket.

You also talk about how it relates to class in the US, but then double down on it. It's hard not to read that as overtly supporting classism.

Classism? More like massism.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

Welp not everybody has a thyroid condition(sure most don't) turns out fat people are all lazy and your'e not a dick for mocking them.

This. But pretend it was said unironically by someone who isn't loving Zeitgueist.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Pohl posted:

Shaming people simply because they are fat seems rather pointless since it obviously is a social thing, not a personal fault.

In >99% of cases it's both

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

You talk and ask.

I would love to hear the phrasing of that question.

As usual I think people here are just talking past each other again. I don't think anyone is advocating for harassing fat people on the street but it's hard not to develop some preconceptions about people based on their appearance. Maybe that person has a rare glandular condition that they have no control over... but they probably don't. Good thing I have basic human decency and can resist acting on every nasty impulse that pops into my head. Well except for when I'm posting in the Internet at least

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You could try, and this is crazy, just like, not being a dick to people, fat or skinny? Like, just try treating human beings ok regardless of stuff?

Man, it's hard enough to keep from acting like a dick to most people. You gotta leave me at least one commonly occurring out group I can vent on

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Didn't Phil Robertson say that he didn't see the problem with marrying teen girls or something like that?

"Look, you wait 'til they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that's going to take place is your pocket. You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks."

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Maybe not the best idea for an image and slogan to go along with Dallas. :shrug:

Of course they put it on the door so his head splits open with every stop.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Xibanya posted:

Today my boss said that our elite amazing secret service agents deliberately let the guy through because they hate Obama so much they can't wait for someone to off him. (Worship of secret service agents apparently approaching ARE TROOPS levels.)

I didn't bother to ask follow up questions like, if Obama is so evil and manipulative, why can't he surround himself with loyal secret service agents? And if they want him dead so bad, do they think President Biden will be any better?

Oh who am I kidding, he probably thinks if Obama dies we'll then be in the glorious reign of President Putin, the preferred head of state of true Americans.

This theory kind of falls apart when you know that Obama wasn't even in the building

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

LolitaSama posted:

'feckless'

This is my favorite Luntz GOP word of the day calendar entry since Obama became president.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP's much better at actually planning poo poo out and not relying on the other side simply being terrible enough.

Maybe the first half but the second half is the democrat's main specialty.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also I've been reading that SS got hit hard by sequestration, and I remember not that long ago they said that they were ending lifetime protection for future presidents.

Lifetime protection was reinstated last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Apparently that guy who set fire to the FAA radar center and forced thousands of flight cancellations was trying to make some kind of political statement. Not sure even he knows what that statement was supposed to be, though, since he was hella stoned at the time.