Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReindeerF posted:

I will sell my vote for $72,999.

I'll do it for $72,998!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeitgueist posted:

Consider it a side effect of the general shittiness of the mainstream media these days. Actual stories are ignored in favor of whatever the entertainment value/narrative is.

Most likely someone will be writing a news story on this stuff. It will come out in a month or maybe after the trial and people will be like "hey why didn't we hear about this sooner".

It's been like this for years now.

Ah yes, those glory days of most mainstream media focusing on real stories such as: and of course:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mooseontheloose posted:

Housing 2.0, Web 2.0, Student loans and hopefully it hits in year one of President Paul's presidency.

Web 2.0's bubble was 15 years ago. Also, housing's barely moving, and student loans don't prop up any companies major to the stock market or economy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pacerhimself posted:

15 years ago was the original .com bubble.

Web 2.0 bubble is bullshit like Airbnb being valued at $10 bln (who even loving heard of this company?) http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/morning-agenda-airbnbs-10-billion-valuation/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Uber getting 1.2 billion dollars in funding and being valued at $18 bln.

WhatsApp getting purchased by Facebook for $19 bln.

And the original dot com bubble was the web 2.0 bubble. The web 2.0 term was being used then to compare new things like javascript sites and full color iamges and flash to "web 1.0" text with a few still pictures of the early and mid 90s.

Also all of that stuff is not affecting the greater market at large. Many of them don't even have purchases going through, it's things like some idiot with too much money at his corporate control tossing in $10 million for a stake that works out to "the company would have to be worth $18 billion for me to be making sense" and the like

Fried Chicken posted:

And the web 2.0 points didn't come close to covering the most egregious valuations of the "app economy". That is such an obvious bubble I have to wonder how many are really just scams to embezzle money and dodge taxes. Never mind AirBnB, how is Yo! worth 10 million?

It makes me wonder about things like Twitter, which hasn't turned a profit but as we've seen has a lot of social value (great for getting information out from the ground and mobilizing the voice of communities). Bubble pops, then what? Hopefully someone will develop a version that can last as freeware that doesn't need the central infrastructure, like what pirate bay has done with their stuff.

Right but those valuations aren't being securitized and reversed and all that poo poo to prop up people's portfolios.

You need a central infrastructure for a Twitter because decentralizing it is incoherent, especially with all the ways it ties into phone systems and the like. You don't want the internet having to share copies of All Of Twitter or even Twitter's Last 3 Days and keep it in sync in order to access it!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elephant Ambush posted:

I will still never understand "unlawful assembly". Unless you're hurting people or barring access to a place I don't understand how peaceful sit-down protests are not protected by the 1st amendment. I'm gonna guess this is just subjective enforcement or something?

If it was impossible to ban gatherings of a certain size in a certain area due to the first amendment, you couldn't have legal fire code occupancy restrictions in buildings among other things.

So presumably these laws are written off a basis claiming to demonstrate a public safety need similar to that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

The dotcom bubble was poo poo like blueridge(?) ecards, a site that sold for several hundred million dollars despite not being worth anything close to that. A current comparison is the absurd valuation of companies like Uber or King.com in the 10-20 billion range. The term "Web 2.0" has nothing to do with the dotcom bubble bursting.

Except that stuff was all what was being called Web 2.0, especially the stuff all these companies were claiming to do if you just gave them another 500 million in investment.

It's funny that people have continued calling "current" internet stuff web 2.0 for years, sure, but it'd be stupid to really consider stuff now web 2.0. poo poo like MySpace has been "Web 2.0" through 2 major redesigns and site collapses for christ's sake.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sleepingbuddha posted:

Has there ever been a university that refused to take money from anyone?

There's actually a few small ones around where tuition is never charged, usually with a requirement that the students accepted spend a certain amount of time per week working for the school. There used to be a lot more around in the same areas where the few remaining ones are, which is mostly the border area between the South and Midwest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nonsense posted:

Somehow fast food workers wouldn't be working like dogs, and will only be working like mules.

I like that this graphic indicates workers would make about 32% more money each week due to the reduction in hours being more than compensated by increase in wages.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hasn't Walmart taken a hit because they did just that: cut poo poo job hours so much their sales tanked due to poo poo service?

To be clear, Wal-Mart did that in only some sales regions, and as a result it was easy to see that in the sales regions where they didn't do it the stores were just fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why are militias patrolling the border okay in any way, shape or form, anyway? I mean I get it, they have the right to carry firearms and to get together in a group, but their expressed purpose is to threaten to shoot certain kinds of people who they encounter, right?

Because most of the time they don't get close to doing anything but stumble around in the dark like a bunch of drunk idiots. That ain't illegal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Waco compound was in fact set on fire from the inside and there were a ton of bodies found in there that were shot at close range from within the house.

I don't think we can expect the new militias to have the balls to go out that way in a standoff, not least due to lack of actual religious fanatics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Domestic terrorism.

They're not doing that 99.9% of the time when they drive around a desert thinking they see evil mexicans but it's actually just a tumbleweed.

420DD Butts posted:

Surely brandishing weapons at innocent people and detaining them for any amount of time is breaking some sort of law, no?

Right, and them actually doing that? Fortunately very rare.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

I got a question that's been bothering me for a good while. Why do we have a cap on SS taxes for around $108,000?

Because the current laws would otherwise also continuing scaling up the payouts received by high earners. Capping income taxed was a compromise reached to avoid that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unlawful assembly charged by local police, offer a plea for no jail time with a ban from federal property, have the names passed onto Federal authorities who can then charge with trespassing on federal property if they ever come back.

Unlawful assembly is essentially something that has to be charged right when the thing's happening and the people dispersed or placed under a formal siege-type situation immediately. You don't get to just declare that you're going to charge people with unlawful assembly months on, unless you're already putting them up for some other crime.

Also I'm pretty drat sure ban from federal property is not a valid plea bargain offering for any crimes involved.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheRamblingSoul posted:

You forgot the biggest piece:

No education? gently caress you, enlist.

It really is horrifying to think that our social safety net for the worst off pushes you into joining the military. If someone told me that about a random country, I would be thinking of a second/third world autocratic shithole.

A lot of the countries you probably think are so great either still have mandated "peacetime" conscription for everyone, or only stopped it within the past few years.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just look at the differences between the states that have a lower bottle deposit than Michigan. California recovers 82% of the bottles with a deposit, Massachusetts 72.3%, New York only 66%. Michigan meanwhile has a 97% redemption rate, over 10% greater than any other state with a similar program. Even a minor economic incentive is often enough to encourage people to follow certain behaviors-in this case, taking their cans and bottles back to the store as opposed to merely throwing them out.

You know New York also has functioning curbside/buildingside recycling programs in most of the most populated areas of the state right? Deposit programs are primarily a relic of the time before municipal recycling programs really were a worth a poo poo. Who gives a poo poo that people are putting their recyclables out in the recycling bin rather than wasting time taking them to a store?

It's really quite telling that you phrase it as if deposit-eligible items not taken back to a store must be going into the trash.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They don't like Reaganomics now that they actually have to live with the consequences of their state going completely hog wild on it, I'm guessing.

It's this. Kansas has had nothing in the way of Democratic leadership to blame, or any anti-full-reagonomics barriers to take blame either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Killer robot posted:

That's the funny thing. Even with subsidies, HFCS isn't really cheaper by dry weight than global prices for cane sugar, just the US's sugar tariffs make it cheaper here. Given soda's so heavily profitable even in the US, I wonder what the margin in countries with higher prices is.

HFCS is about the same price on a use basis as regular refined sugars are, hovering between -5% and 5% of the price consistently over the past like 20 years - so it's not even actually cheaper a lot of the time. The funny thing about it all was that the high sugar tariffs and import restrictions were supposed to support and grow beet sugar production, but it turns out sugar beet production is really hard to expand!

Incidentally, HFCS use has been declining since 1999.

That said, uh, you realize agricultural subsidies almost always are about making things cost more right? That's how the farmers are primarily subsidized, the government drives up the effective prices so they make more money. Corn in particular gets ubsidies mostly in the forms of price raising measures, without subsidies it'd be cheaper at current production amounts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JT Jag posted:

Make federal elections (both midterms and presidential) national holidays. Make voting mandatory, any registered voter who fails to vote without an excuse is levied a small fine.

At least do the first part.

National holidays don't give people days off who most need a day off to vote. Making voting mandatory and fining people over it needlessly punishes people both for being forced into situations where they can't vote and for being morally opposed to voting.

Beyond this, the Uniform Monday Holiday Act would tend to indicate that we'd move election day to a Monday. This would create a new three day weekend, and likely encourage many people to take trips or otherwise celebrate in ways that will make voting in person less likely.

There's also that where does mandatory voting stop? Is it all elections at all levels? That would seem to allow localities to harass people by scheduling frivolous elections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Australia's had compulsory voting for decades and there has never been an instance of "localities harassing people by scheduling elections".

Australia's had unenforced compulsory voting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Family Values posted:

I don't even know how you censor school bullies anyways, it's not like you can throw them in jail.

Have you seriously never heard of in-school suspension, or detention held during class time?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Amergin posted:

We're going to start suspending kids because they parrot their parents' religious beliefs?

What do you mean start? It's already been going on for 15 years.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Family Values posted:

School bullies: widely known for their fear of being pulled out of class.

Why do they have to fear it? You're not making sense.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Don't monkeys and apes who don't know better practice it? Probably some manner of old instinct behind it.

Though not long ago, a few centuries back apparently, it was way too common for children to be beaten extremely severely as punishment and it be socially accepted. At least I heard that on the "Suffer the Children" ep of hardcore history. Maybe people have just finally been getting less violent.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

joeburz posted:

Uh...21st century war would be the entire city is a pile of rubble from missiles.

Sorry, that was the 20th century dude. Learn your history.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

joeburz posted:

Ah yes, the rampant use of nuclear arms in the 20th century in which two total strikes literally ended a war, not started it. Thanks for the useless sperg injection.

No, you child, We're talking about things like the NATO air strikes on Serbia in the 90s, or the tons of cruise missile strikes Bill Clinton and George HW Bush ordered outside of wars.

Were you too young to remember them or just so willfully ignorant you never bothered to learn about them?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chard posted:

Are you serious? People driving and bussing to a protest has a completely negligible effect compared to stuff like power generation and transnational ocean shipping.

The protest has 0 effect -> the extra resources used to show up are a waste.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HootTheOwl posted:

And drop meets bucket?

Like, people are protesting the fact that people are meeting about climate issues. It doesn't seem like it's something a protest can acheive any good out of.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just calling yourself a whistleblower doesn't make you one! Hope this helps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AmiYumi posted:

So, as always, the solution boils down to "abolish First Past the Post, implement Alternative Voting". A.k.a. "the US is hosed forever."

Do you people seriously not realize that most countries with other voting systems also have terrible governments in place now?

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What's to stop Democrats from pushing a left-wing effort to primary out centrist and right-wing Democrats? It seemed to work for Republicans bringing candidates further to the Right, so why not for Dems as well?

Voting base not actually leftist. Note that briging candidates further to the right lost the Republicans multiple seats they otherwise could have easily won (see: rape guys, "not a with" lady).

Family Values posted:

Is anyone else a bit uncomfortable at the use of the familiar 'Hillary' instead of 'Clinton', as we do for male presidential candidates? 'Cruz', 'McCain', 'Obama', 'Biden'... 'Hillary'? I'm not a Clinton supporter, I'll be voting for someone else in the primary and, depending on how it goes, in the general (I'm in CA so I have that luxury), but I think it would be cool if D&D adopted the habit of referring to her in the same way as we do her male opponents.

I'm not looking to spark an 8 page derail on this, if you disagree there's no need to respond, just continue to refer to her by her given name.

It's a rare case that a candidate's out there that has the same name as a previous candidate to the point there would be confusion. See also "W".

Also people love to say Diamond Joe.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowsbeak posted:

I am not calling for the far leftism talking about movements for improving general welfare like the working families party.

Soooo liberal reformism.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ogmius815 posted:

Nice casual anti-Catholicism bro.

Mentioning that JFK was the last non-Protesant president: somehow anti-Catholic to you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why do people always exclude Clinton and Obama from that count?

Ah yes, the well known Catholic sect of the Baptist church that Bill Clinton belonged to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

My Imaginary GF posted:

I may be unleashing a firestorm here, I label baptists as non-Protestant denominations. Plus, first Jewish president?

Baptists are explicitly Protestants. I think you might be confusing "evangelical" or "fundamentalist" with "protestant" here, they're not the same thing. Also there hasn't been a Jewish president yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Oracle posted:

Isn't there some pipedream in the works on behalf of the Pope and the Grand High Poobah or whatever you call the head of the Orthodox church about getting back together? I seem to recall this being big news for awhile there under Palpatine, like the Orthodox guy co-hosted Easter or some such thing.

That's still in the works. Of note is that even once it happens it's not like the Eastern Patriarch or the Pope would now be in charge of the newly communioned church, they'd still operate separately, in the manner the two churches were operating while "together" during the Roman Empire and aftermath.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What's up with the catholic love of Mary anyway. I was raised catholic and it was never explained it was a thing that just was.

Christ's mom was chosen by god to get knocked up which is a pretty important role.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

effectual posted:

How do we know they don't have a chance if they're never tried?

Politicians are capable of talking to each other to ascertain support and make decisions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah I agree, people are way too hard on Obama for not even attempting to do basically anything he said he was going to do while campaigning.

Maybe you should have paid attention to the campaign. "Hope" isn't a policy prescription.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What exactly counts as 'years past' when you're 19? Isn't it illegal to use most web services including twitter until you're 18 or have parental consent?

You're probably thinking of 13, and no it's not illegal for you to use it but the service provider is liable if they know you're under 13 but let you use the service anyway. see http://www.coppa.org/coppa.htm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Family Values posted:

We have FPTP voting, with all that that implies. No one is ever going to have a political party that perfectly represents their views in such a system. It's always been this way. Are people really just now waking up to this fact?

For that matter political parties almost never perfectly represent people's views in other voting systems either.

Not to mention that no matter how fancy a voting system is involved, you still end up needing at least 50% of a legislature or whatever to agree to pass something - meaning that compromises still have to be made in views because Party That Represents My Views Exactly only gets say 40% of the chamber and has to make up the next 10% with Parties That Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know why this is?

The Green Party is frankly not very together. You can see it in what they put together for a platform too.

It also doesn't particularly help that many local level elections are legally nonpartisan, and so even if they get elected it goes down as a nonaffiliated person unless you can dig up that they're a green party member separately. Doesn't do much good for building momentum.