Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm not going to measure my thumb but I can do all of those things and palm an NCAA basketball.

Seriously if you have anything above average sized hands it's not an issue.

Then Apple made reachability because....? And people have rightly complained about huge Android phones being hard to use one handed because....? No one is saying you can't hold it in one hand and scroll around on web pages. But you're being extremely silly arguing that a 5.5" iPhone is somehow totally easy to use one handed, just like a 4" iPhone!

Or here, this seems somehow relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

Jmcrofts posted:

I can't hit the top left corner, but I'm not sure why I'd have to, the back button is right by my thumb.

iPhone doesn't have a back button right by your thumb, though. Navigation buttons in apps are by design all along the top. It makes the problem of a huge phone and one handed use somewhat worse in iOS than in Android. It'll still be totally fine to use two handed, better than smaller iPhones even.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

Then Apple made reachability because....?
Because not everyone has above average sized hands?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Big City Drinkin posted:

So what's the story with the "c" line? Is the idea that it only comes out in tandem with "s" releases, so the current 6 will be the 6c in a year? Maybe they'll just scrap the whole thing.

It's meant to make producing an older phone cheaper; they haven't discontinued the 5s probably because of the nerd rage you're seeing now but I would expect it to make a reappearance with NFC chips and stuff next year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Radbot posted:

Have the people bitching about the soft buttons in Android actually, y'know, used 4.4.4?
Considering how slowly Android updates get rolled out, probably not!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Because not everyone has frying pan sized hands?

:bahgawd: Bah gawd.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Because not everyone has above average sized hands?

Please watch the video I linked, I think it will be helpful.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:golfclap:

That was good but the disappearing soft buttons have been a thing since 4.0, so late 2011.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

Please watch the video I linked, I think it will be helpful.
That's a commercial.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

iPhone doesn't have a back button right by your thumb, though. Navigation buttons in apps are by design all along the top. It makes the problem of a huge phone and one handed use somewhat worse in iOS than in Android. It'll still be totally fine to use two handed, better than smaller iPhones even.

iOS7 implemented "swipe to go back" in all 1st party apps so that people wouldn't have to reach the back button if they couldn't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RVProfootballer posted:

No one is saying you can't hold it in one hand and scroll around on web pages. But you're being extremely silly arguing that a 5.5" iPhone is somehow totally easy to use one handed, just like a 4" iPhone!

Why do you hate people with big hands? Are you jealous?

\/ They added reachability for people that can't operate it one handed. That doesn't mean that noone on the face of the Earth can reach the top of the screen without it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 10, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's a commercial.

It's right, though. Big iPhone will be great for a lot of things, and I'm personally ok with not being able to use it one handed too easily because it'll be better for internet and reading and lots of other stuff. I just don't get the need to insist that there aren't compromises with making it bigger. Hah, anyway, I'll shut up now :)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, I use a Moto G and I got 4.4.4 a few days behind the Nexus devices?

I mean I guess you're trying to make a sick burn, but immersive mode existed years ago. Shouldn't you be making some sort of joke about jorts and Android phones? Or would that be a bit ironic now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Radbot posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, I use a Moto G and I got 4.4.4 a few days behind the Nexus devices?
Congratulations on using the only good Android OEM. Moto's been spectacular on updating their latest devices. Most other vendors (Samsung, LG, HTC) have not.

Radbot posted:

immersive mode existed years ago
You asked about 4.4.4. :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Maybe that Jelly Bean is still a majority of Android devices and Ice Cream Sandwich + Gingerbread still make up almost 1/4 of devices?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bottom Liner posted:

\/ They added reachability for people that can't operate it one handed. That doesn't mean that noone on the face of the Earth can reach the top of the screen without it.

Unfortunately they forgot to make a normal phone for people who aren't NBA hall of famers.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

Maybe that Jelly Bean is still a majority of Android devices and Ice Cream Sandwich + Gingerbread still make up almost 1/4 of devices?

What's wrong with cheap phones, anyways? Besides the fact that JB has soft buttons, if you're still using a Gingerbread phone, it's likely the only smartphone you can afford.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I hope the iPad Maxi gets released soon cos my giant hands can't operate the Air.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if the 6 uses the same sim as a 5s? Will make upgrading a lot easier for me if it does.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does anyone know if the 6 uses the same sim as a 5s? Will make upgrading a lot easier for me if it does.
Presumably yes. I mean there's no smaller standard for them to go to at this point, is there?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Picosim?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Unfortunately they forgot to make a normal phone for people who aren't NBA hall of famers.

YOU try reach your thumb across a huge device while dragging Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
What's the best way to prepare for placing your order right at 12AM PDT? Is there any way to have your order ready (color/size/account/payment/etc) and then hit "place order"? It always feels a bit frantic trying to punch in all my information right when orders open up.

EDIT: I guess that did sound crazy. Thank you for the subsequent advice.

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 10, 2014

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

What's the best way to prepare for placing your order right at 12AM PDT? Is there any way to have your order ready (color/size/account/payment/etc) and then hit "place order"? It always feels a bit frantic trying to punch in all my information right when orders open up.

Take a xanax?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

You don't need to get it in right at 12:01 AM.

But I guess if you want to prep, make sure your shipping address and credit card information are already associated with your store account, and maybe load up the Apple Store on one of your iOS devices (if you have one already).

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
It's not like it used to be with Apple's website crashing and hanging. The last few years of ordering online from Apple have been super smooth.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CoasterMaster posted:

It's not like it used to be with Apple's website crashing and hanging. The last few years of ordering online from Apple have been super smooth.
And even if it is, the Apple Store app has been the way to go since that never seems to crash and burn during preordering madness.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So as it turns out, I'd forgotten that I'm on AT&T Next now and am eligible for an upgrade if I lease the new phone for...I think either 12 or 18 months? So now I'm debating selling my 5S and using the money to upgrade to the 6.

In some ways the 6 Plus seems pretty cool since I don't already own an iPad or any other tablet, but then I also don't know if I'd be able to operate it one-handed, so that kind of turns me off of that. Plus it may or may not fit in my pocket easily, so it's probably a better idea to just stick with the 4.7".

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Did anyone else see this mentioned on Apple's site?

Apple posted:

And silence incoming calls by covering Apple Watch with your hand.
http://www.apple.com/watch/features/

That's pretty cool and a lot of people's automatic reaction to something making noise.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So as it turns out, I'd forgotten that I'm on AT&T Next now and am eligible for an upgrade if I lease the new phone for...I think either 12 or 18 months?

BTW, you can just make 6 more months of payments and keep the phone. The guaranteed buyback is more of a bonus feature than anything else.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Thread moved on without me while I was asleep. How rude. Resurrections from a couple pages back:

Ragingsheep posted:

From the WSJ article that BI sourced:

Corrections & Amplifications: The new EMV credit card system the U.S. is set to migrate to by October, 2015 will use microchip-enabled credit cards, but still allows customers to sign for their payments. Banks can choose to issue cards that require a PIN number instead of a signature, but the switch to PINs will not be required in October 2015 as reported in an earlier version of this article.

Interesting; too bad they're not willing to go all-in on the pin part. But regardless, retailers still have to upgrade to support the new system. Hopefully that's good news for NFC.

Boris Galerkin posted:

But like Mr. Artisanal Mayo guy a few pages back, all this is moot for me (and I understand I'm an edge case as well) cause I only shop at farmers markets and small boutiques that are either cash only or use Square. I don't understand how this would work at restaurants either. Do I just give them my phone?

Square has already announced they'll be compatible with Apple Pay (though they didn't say how; probably through an app on your phone, at least until they release their new chip+pin compatible dongle). I would expect NFC to work in restaurants the same way chip+pin does (non-US goon can confirm, but I gather they bring a portable reader to your table).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smackfu posted:

BTW, you can just make 6 more months of payments and keep the phone. The guaranteed buyback is more of a bonus feature than anything else.
Ah, so by default with AT&T Next, after the 12/18 month period of leasing the phone, you couldn't sell the phone yourself because you don't technically own it? You have to trade it back into AT&T? I'm not totally sure how the whole AT&T Next thing works, just that it said I'm eligible to get the new iPhone now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ah, so by default with AT&T Next, after the 12/18 month period of leasing the phone, you couldn't sell the phone yourself because you don't technically own it? You have to trade it back into AT&T? I'm not totally sure how the whole AT&T Next thing works, just that it said I'm eligible to get the new iPhone now.

Yeah with a lease you're just renting it with an option to buy at the end of the period, just like a car lease.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GutBomb posted:

Yeah with a lease you're just renting it with an option to buy at the end of the period, just like a car lease.
Gotcha. Well I guess not being able to sell it myself after the lease period wouldn't be a big deal if I can just upgrade to the new model right away/in a few months with the Next plan. Or I could just keep paying on it a few more months after the lease period ends and then own it and sell it myself.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Next 12 works by splitting the phone cost into 20 monthly payments.

After 12 months, you have the option to trade in your phone for an upgrade. Or you can continue making the last 8 payments, and keep the phone. Once paid off, you basically are on a month-by-month BYOD plan which is a low monthly rate compared to contract plans.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So .. if Stevie were alive today, would he still use the "you're holding it wrong" line?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

No; it's basically a 0% loan with a guaranteed buyback. AT&T doesn't care what shape the phone is in or who has it as long as they're getting paid.

If you want to sell the phone, you sell the phone. You can either then continue making the installment payments and run the loan out (which is weird but perfectly allowable) or pay it off immediately and get a new loan.

The added benefit is that, like some cars today, there's a guaranteed buyback written into your loan. If you decide you want a new phone in 12 or 18 months, AT&T says "No problem; bring back the phone and we'll say it's worth whatever's left on your loan." With iPhones, this will almost certainly be less than you would make on the open market, but you literally walk into a store and walk out with a newer model.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Molten Llama posted:

No; it's basically a 0% loan with a guaranteed buyback. AT&T doesn't care what shape the phone is in or who has it as long as they're getting paid.

If you want to sell the phone, you sell the phone. You can either then continue making the installment payments and run the loan out (which is weird but perfectly allowable) or pay it off immediately and get a new loan.

The added benefit is that, like some cars today, there's a guaranteed buyback written into your loan. If you decide you want a new phone in 12 or 18 months, AT&T says "No problem; bring back the phone and we'll say it's worth whatever's left on your loan." With iPhones, this will almost certainly be less than you would make on the open market, but you literally walk into a store and walk out with a newer model.
That owns. So basically now that I'm on this plan, I can get every new model iPhone as they come out (or not too long after they come out) instead of being tied to it until the next numbered/S model comes out?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That owns. So basically now that I'm on this plan, I can get every new model iPhone as they come out (or not too long after they come out) instead of being tied to it until the next numbered/S model comes out?
Yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AT&T Next 4 lyfe then :c00l:

Guess I'm getting the 6!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I was totally on board with Next until I realize that it costs the same amount as my plan now with a subsidized phone with an off contract phone, the only difference is I get unlimited text and voice minutes instead of 650 voice and the 1,500 texts I have now. I have never gone over my text or voice roll over minutes.

Which, okay, same price. Off contract, if I switch plans and get a 2 year subsidy or a Next phone it costs me like $20-40 more a month or I can just keep my current plan and get a 2 year subsidy.

• Locked thread