Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm not saying fanfiction creators actually believe that they are superior to the creator, but they are tacitly doing so when they rewrite the original story. If you write a story where Kirk and Spock gently caress, you are rewriting the context of the show to suit what you 'wanted' to see. This extends to cross-canon fanfiction, there are simply better reasons why Yugi and Goku never met than normal.

The Lego comparison doesn't quite work. Lego is a constructive thing designed for creative freedom. A show is a necessarily complete story that people are rewriting by introducing new characters.

Fanfiction tends to be more rife in communities where the work has a very powerful effect on a specific group and a new subculture forms around it. 'Team Edward/Team Whoever' etc and the prevalence of Twilight fanfictions are part of the same thread of fandom. First you think someone else 'should' have ended up with Bella, then you simply write a version where that happened.
youre basically writing fanfiction about the rwby fanbase so what does this all say about you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're not going to be able to explain the philosophical concept of patricide and how it relates to writing/re-writing to the anime forum posters dude. You're just gonna get defensive posts and accusations of equivalency.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh it already started.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Endorph posted:

youre basically writing fanfiction about the rwby fanbase so what does this all say about you

By the same metric, you are writing fanfiction about me. Again, this is a cynical way of looking at things and I reject it.

I'm just discussing the show and its reception in the relevant thread. You are welcome to disagree with me and provide your own. But fanfiction doesn't exist for no reason and discussing its prevalence is interesting to me and highly relevant in a discussion about an Anime Show made by a man whose central deal has been making animesque fanfiction his entire career, working for a company that got famous from halo fanfiction.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You're not going to be able to explain the philosophical concept of patricide and how it relates to writing/re-writing to the anime forum posters dude. You're just gonna get defensive posts and accusations of equivalency.

A man can dream, Gnarlacious. A man can dream.

And then write the dream down and make millions.

e: lol 'i dont care' - but you care enough to write fanfiction about me. Try to care a little more or a little less!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

By the same metric, you are writing fanfiction about me. Again, this is a cynical way of looking at things and I reject it.

I'm just discussing the show and its reception in the relevant thread. You are welcome to disagree with me and provide your own. But fanfiction doesn't exist for no reason and discussing its prevalence is interesting to me and highly relevant in a discussion about an Anime Show made by a man whose central deal has been making animesque fanfiction his entire career, working for a company that got famous from halo fanfiction.
that's fair enough

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 26, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if playing psychologist with fanfiction writers is the best idea

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Why? Are you afraid of psychologists?

Tell me about your mother.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ferretts posted:

Building a Lego set with variations from the instructions isn't necessarily asserting your superiority.

I got what you said about the Plinkett reviews, but I don't see the connection.

RWBY isn't made of LEGOs though, it's made of poo poo. Though piling poo poo on top of poo poo in different variations isn't really a good basis for a metaphor, I guess.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

RWBY isn't made of LEGOs though, it's made of poo poo.

:lol: I was more or less defending the way my mind always makes Pacifica die in Scrapped Princess. Is it fan fiction if you don't write it down?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Ferretts posted:

:lol: I was more or less defending the way my mind always makes Pacifica die in Scrapped Princess. Is it fan fiction if you don't write it down?

Why did you want Pacifica to die so much?

In art, sometimes things happen that you don't like. You can interpret it, or inspect your own reaction and learn something about yourself, or you can simply declare it a problem, and think badly of it for not doing what you wanted (and maybe go one further by rewriting it).

For example: I don't like the absence of cool fights in Gatchaman Crowds. But Crowds is heart and soul a story about the wrongness of 'heroism' and the idolising of heroic figures who protect society with explosions of violence. It didn't give me what I want and made me reassess my own ideas of how things 'should be,' forced me to decide upon my own desire. Crowds is Art.

So is RWBY, but for precisely the opposite reasons. That's what makes it interesting.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Why did you want Pacifica to die so much?

Don't get me wrong. Pacifica was great and I'm still impressed how they balanced her spoiled nature and heavy angst in a way that kept her consistently so drat likable. It just didn't seem to make sense considering the circumstances. I'll buy that in their future that kind of a mortal gut wound may be treatable. But who/what did it? Did Zephy unlock her combat medic suite when the walls fell?

I say this because I'll admit to putting considerable thought into how to adapt that show into a two part movie. Everything else is mostly dialog/scene/style tweaks and some backstory and... oh god. I am writing fan-fiction. :smithicide:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferretts posted:

Coming from someone who doesn't recognize the comedy gold that is RWBY.

The most ironic loving poo poo yet. "Hmm, have you considered that I have superior taste? Pass me that moldy dog turd, sir, I'm in need of vittles."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't get SA's insane aversion to fanfiction to the point where literally "speculation of any kind whatsoever about a creative work" is considered fanfiction. So, what are we supposed to discuss exactly? Basic, first-order questions clarifying what happened in a particular chapter or episode?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I don't get SA's insane aversion to fanfiction to the point where literally "speculation of any kind whatsoever about a creative work" is considered fanfiction.

When did this happen? I thought we were talking about actual, straight from fanfiction.net fanfiction. What post is slipping my memory?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I don't get SA's insane aversion to fanfiction to the point where literally "speculation of any kind whatsoever about a creative work" is considered fanfiction. So, what are we supposed to discuss exactly? Basic, first-order questions clarifying what happened in a particular chapter or episode?

It's more of a tongue in cheek thing, people post a long descriptive speculation and then its "oh my god I've just started my own fanfiction"

This thread in particular has problems because RWBY is so heavily copied from other popular series is basically Anime Fanfiction: The Original Series, which means its bland and generic at best, and a confused mess at worst, so the topic of fanfiction comes up as RWBY is wildly people with the same people who write the stuff and so it has a huge internet fanbase for a youtube series.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

This thread in particular has problems because RWBY is so heavily copied from other popular series is basically Anime Fanfiction: The Original Series, which means its bland and generic at best, and a confused mess at worst, so the topic of fanfiction comes up as RWBY is wildly people with the same people who write the stuff and so it has a huge internet fanbase for a youtube series.
And also the issue that rooster teeth and monty oum have done nothing but produce fanfiction for their favourite video games since day one. I have nothing against it, like I said, I find it interesting. Watching someone wrest control from its creator is actually incredibly satisfying in its own way. Death of the author, BUT REAL.

If it still exists, I recommend everyone read the (parody??) fanfiction 'what if ron found a helicopter in the chamber of secrets' or the one where harry potter gets possessed by megaman. I feel that the joke of these kinds of fanfiction is that such massive changes take place in the story that the 'creator' basically wished Harry Potter had been Airwolf, or basically wrote their own completely new piece of original loving Art but felt more comfortable doing so in a familiar Universe.

DrSunshine posted:

The work itself, its implications, what you like/dislike about it and why? Also Subtext game? When you're just saying what should have happened instead, you're not discussing the show, you're pitching a different one - asking why it was different or what your feelings of the show say about you are fun and can be quite the learning experience. I don't think anyone, besides people who like an excercise in futility, is actually trying to destroy fanfiction by banning it. Why would you want to? It's fascinating.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Hbomberguy posted:

'what if ron found a helicopter in the chamber of secrets'

FFnet review by Potter Fan, Apr 30, 2012 posted:

I like the concept of Ron Weasley finding a helicopter, but I kept wanting Ron to fly in the helicopter more. What if Ron flew the helicopter to Chicago, or to a circus? What about a scene where Ron waves to Harry and Hermione from the helicopter as he flies away from Hogwarts forever? Ultimately, I think the story would have benefited from more scenes of Ron actually flying in the copter.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Hbomber's hit the nail on the head with the fanfic thing. It practically stems from stuff like "What if Harry and Hermione got together instead?" or "What if the Goblet of Fire was written entirely from Cedric's perspective?". Those 'what if' scenarios are what leads to people branching off with their own ideas and (shocking truth!) create fiction based on the established setting that they are fans of.

There's a line between discussion of alternatives to a plot point an outright fanfiction, and I think the line starts when someone creates what they believe is a 'suitable' chain of events that whatever changes they propose will create. Stuff like "why didn't Gandalf get the Great Eagles to fly the ring to Mordor?" is discussion, "Gandalf takes off on a Great Eagle with the hobbits, and they they get attacked by Nazgul mid-air and are forced to detour to Murkwood..." is fanfiction. You might not have intended to come across as a strawman in your post, but that's how it looks.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well, I for one thought the recent episode was pretty good. Nice bit of character introspection and fleshing out of the world with some well done action.

Also I just got into this series so hi?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Well, I for one thought the recent episode was pretty good. Nice bit of character introspection and fleshing out of the world with some well done action.

Also I just got into this series so hi?

I guess it's some signs of world building but it does look like our heroes are essentially causing Grimm genocide because they look scary. But I found team RWBY real reason to be hunteress flimsy and at least even the characters themselves admit it.

But I have to wonder why Ruby didn't have to answer too?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Alder posted:

But I have to wonder why Ruby didn't have to answer too?

I'd assume we're going to find out next episode, or at the very least by the end of the season.

I also liked this episode. One of the biggest complaints I had about season 1 is that we had all these characters and a pretty interesting world, yet we never really explored them. Coupled with the longer episodes, it looks like RT is learning from the mistakes they made in S1.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
You know, this really reminds of Kung Fu Jimmy Chow.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I have a problem with the latest episode. Ruby gets caught and brought to Torchwick. WBY and Oobleck go to find her and comes across the hole Ruby fell in. Oobleck goes into exposition mode about the failed city. I feel that, instead, they should have ended the episode immediately after realizing Ruby fell into the hole and then in the next episode, have Oobleck deliver the exposition while they trek to the underground city. I think it would have flowed better.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Srice posted:

Even tho using something besides Poser would probably be a net gain for the animation, I think it'd still suffer from clunky direction and poor choreography even if it wound up being technically better.

Yup. Pipeline and workflow are so important for animator productivity and thus the end result of a production. Using an old version of Poser instead of Maya or 3DS Max is like giving a traditional animator a rock instead of a pencil.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Can I just say that I absolutely hate the delivery of Speedy Professor-man? I can barely understand a thing he says and his rushed delivery just sounds so FORCED. Couldn't they have simply recorded him using a decipherable reading, then sped it up or something? Ugh.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Then he would just sound artificial rather than a motormouth.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
You have to really write and perform that kind of thing carefully, rather than just making a wordy paragraph and shove it in front of someone and ask them to perform it quickly and expect to have it sound organic.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
That character trait seemed pretty reasonable actually. He gets his point across thoroughly as to ensure no misunderstanding, while speaking so quickly that he causes misunderstanding. Given that he drinks a ton of coffee and is an intellectual, it makes sense to me.

I also loved how Ruby went in for the punch, but was totally ineffective. It's the sort of thing that should happen when a teenage girl hits an adult guard, but I was expecting her main-character-ness to allow her to fight back.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
fwiw I do agree that Joel's motormouthing usually sounds like poo poo in this and that the concept is lazy and definitely could stand to be a bit more subtle (like pretty much everything else in this show) I just think that him talking at a normal rate and the VO getting sped up after the fact would sound even shittier.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It seems fine to me, but then again how much of that is me knowing its Joel having fun colours my perception I don't know.

Last episode before this one also showed us that there' grimm out there so powerful they're borderline sentient. No wonder they're civilization is teetering on the brink of doom.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

KasaiAisu posted:

I also loved how Ruby went in for the punch, but was totally ineffective. It's the sort of thing that should happen when a teenage girl hits an adult guard, but I was expecting her main-character-ness to allow her to fight back.

Eh, I thought Ruby is/was a decent or above average fighter even w/o her scythe? It felt OOC but I guess she is surrounded by a group too. I mean, doesn't she have super-speed or reflexes but it only works when she has her weapon at hand?

It's kinda like seeing a superhero level character being captured by a group of faceless mooks when you know in the last episode they fought tons of other supervillains.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Speed she might have, but she's without her weapon and Ruby seems to see her value as a reflection of that and so without it she probably just panicked and goofed.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Alder posted:

Eh, I thought Ruby is/was a decent or above average fighter even w/o her scythe? It felt OOC but I guess she is surrounded by a group too. I mean, doesn't she have super-speed or reflexes but it only works when she has her weapon at hand?

It's kinda like seeing a superhero level character being captured by a group of faceless mooks when you know in the last episode they fought tons of other supervillains.

Remember that your superpowers in this show are basically powered by your confidence (by focusing the Soul Energy/aura) so If she's startled whoops suddenly her powers don't work.

Also the fact that I remember this scares me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Umbrella girl's fighting was pretty rad.

Also poo poo hit the fan, as people who've seen Attack on Titan can attest.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

Last I check, Cardinal, Coffee, and Sun aren't colors?

My crayons lied to me

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Also the fact that I remember this scares me.

Thanks I thought their powers were always "on" if that makes sense like mutants?

CrazySalamander posted:

My crayons lied to me

Everyone knows childhood is one giant lie perpetrated by companies :10bux:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I know the series doesn't get much love around here, but that was an awesome episode, I definitely think the show is strongest when they do these big action set pieces. I think Coco is my new favourite character and the music when Team CFVY are doing their thing is one of my favourites too, and really like a lot of the music in this series.

That was the end of this part (Series? Chapter?) of the show, isn't it? I hope they work fast on the next batch of episodes.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2014

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
It's an alright episode, but as a season finale, that was poo poo.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Pictured: RWBY At Its Strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

theCalamity posted:

It's an alright episode, but as a season finale, that was poo poo.

Even compared to how tensionless the series already has been, I'm amazed by how little tension this episode had.

I'm not saying make everything grimdark and bloody, but this was the show's big chance to finally show why the Grimm are considered so dangerous. So naturally, our heroes curbstomp them without a hitch. Then their goofy best friends do. Then their teachers and the faceless robot mooks do. Then the MAIN VILLAINS do, because why not. Then the random upperclassmen out of nowhere because we really need more characters I guess.

I dunno, it was some pretty good action spectacle. But christ these fight scenes are more indulgent and one-sided with each episode.

Also with Giant Bird and Giant Scorpion turning into total jobbers this fight, I guess the new candidate for best mook is Man With Chainsaw.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread