Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

RWBY: Produced by Rooster Teeth (Red vs Blue) and created by Monty Oum (Dead Fantasy). I came for the fight choreography and stayed because well... it can be fun if you manage to get passed the obvious issues.

What's Dead Fantasy you ask? A continuous animated death match of the Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive universes on an increasingly ludicrous scale. It takes about 40 minutes to watch the whole series (1-7), or you could just skip straight to these two:
Tifa vs Hitomi
Tifa vs Ninja Army

Now to be honest, the fight choreography in RWBY often falls short of Dead Fantasy, but here are clips of what they can pull off:

Red Trailer - Ruby Rose in the riding hood... with an absurdly over-stylized rifle-scythe thing

Yellow Trailer - Yang enforcing DeadMou5's trademark... and does a lame kiss gag thing

You might notice from those that the music is pretty awesome. Much of the show screams "amateur" and "unpolished," but there is a portion of this production that's legitimately well done, and it seems to be getting better with season 2... for the most part. Getting back to the music, here are the two OPs:
Season 1 - I bet you can't guess what's up with that girl's bow...
Season 2 - Where it rains rose pedals and cosplay

So that's the gist of how it can look and sound. Now here are some cases against RWBY:
-The 3D animation style is clunky and distracting (The lead animator makes everyone use Poser and is apparently strongly opposed to change. I have no animation experience, but I hear that Poser is not well suited for this kind of thing and the animation quality suffers from that.
-Some of the characters suck copious amounts of derivative rear end (Jaune at least seems to be getting better in season 2)
-Some of the character designs look like rear end.
-Some (most) of the jokes fall flat and the dialog can be more cringe inducing than Michael Scott. That isn't to say if you like Michael Scott variety cringe you'll like this. Nobody likes this kind. But there are fairly well scripted scenes here and there.
-Early character interactions are extremely forced, fake and kind of awful, but they do become more real as they find their footing.
-This is the amateur's tribute to derivative anime. Just about everything embarrassing about anime is here and it's all up to 11. So don't look for subtlety here.
(This is an incomplete list. See the following pages for much of the rest.)

My case for RWBY:
-The voice talent does a decent job and can play well of each other.
-Though I came for the fight choreography, the characters and humor have me looking forward more to the episodes without rifle-javelin and shotgun-fist-to-the-face fight scenes.
-Nora and her pink friendship hammer.
-It doesn't take a significant time commitment to plow through it. Just a strong stomach, and an iron resolve to enjoy yourself in the process.
-Plenty of jokes hit (Nora vs the Ursa, Blake vs the laser pointer) and the character dynamics grow more natural.

In the first draft of this OP I gave RWBY a good deal more praise than it had earned, so I've edit this to something more resembling sanity. That said, for most people, it is still far too much praise to even recommend it in the slightest. It seems to take a special kind of person to enjoy RWBY, quotation marks probably belonging around the operative word there. But I'll include myself among them. It's an intensely bad show, but there are things to enjoy if you want to find them.

So I'll wrap this up with Nora's flying rocket sledgehammer salute:

RWBY is being simulcast by Crunchyroll.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I think it'd go well in GBS, the appropriate home for completely terrible things.

I wouldn't worry too much. I can't imagine this thread lasting long past the initial shock responses of how it managed to appear in the first place (since I'm apparently the only one who watches this).

I can't defend it against any criticism, because the show's begging for it all. But I am going to shield my mind. Because yes it's terrible... in every way described, but I like it and I like liking stuff.

But with all else being shameful, at least I can be proud of the thread title. :colbert:

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

KasaiAisu posted:

well scripted conversation
"Did you steal my binder?"
"I am not a crook" *poses like Nixon*

OK... that quote was terrible, truly it was. But it's not from the script he was talking about.

KasaiAisu posted:

instead I got yang/ruby backstory and a well scripted conversation between yang and blake.

Some of the timing and visuals from that scene were off (Yang going slight-saiyan and shoving Blake just didn't have the impact that they should have pulled off), but the conversation was solid. And it started off with the laser pointer, so bonus points to Yang all around.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Well that was a thing. Let's see...

Hold
My
Punch
A point there for Ruby.

And one for Penny breaking it down (requesting gif)

Plus two for Jaune for miraculously ceasing to suck rear end.
Also for this. Granted I really should have seen it coming... and what is going on with his forearms?

And team JNPR takes the win at halftime (definitely needs a gif).

So RWBY knocks off para (was that para...para?) from their lengthy anime inspiration list.
At some point I expect them to start collecting and training rare Grimm beasts to fight in their tournament and reveal that Nora is Ren's cousin or sister-not-related-by-blood.

And now after typing that out... I sincerely hope it happens.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 12, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

RWBY is like Mai-Hime and Elfen Lied. There were plenty of very irritating issues with both that could have kept me from enjoying them. But I stomached the problems, focused on what they did well and was plenty paid off for it. I'm admittedly biasing myself because I went in wanting to like RWBY, but it's already paying off with characters that are seeming more fun and real as they interact (Weiss and Jaune don't suck anymore).

I'm not sure it should be winning any awards though...

Takoluka posted:

It might not look that great, but creativity should be applauded where it exists. There's a ton of potential there.
It's like finding that youtube channel from a guy that produces music about Starcraft commentators and Disgaea. Sure it might be lame and rough around the edges, but it's also odd and creative and the kind of thing I want to encourage. And maybe I'll even pay $2 on Bandcamp to help out...

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been debating on and off now about starting a thread that would've been even more downplaying and apologetic but I am now pretty relieved OP did it instead, you're a brave man sir! :)

Yes. Tempered in the ridicule of 300+ navy submariners for being the only guy to watch My Little Pony. At least here RWBY deserves it, while MLP of course... did not. :colbert:

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

All that, and where's your medal?

for shame, Obama

In retrospect, that does read way more pathetic than intended...

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Just catching up here...

ninjewtsu posted:

Please explain to me how ripping off your capslock key and f1 key to save time 1. saves time and 2. is not a sign of mental illness
Like seriously, he could just not push those keys. Why does he need to rip them off? That's just plain crazy, and a definite sign that something is not right with that man
I don't think ripping keys off your keyboard because they "slow you down" is common

Butt Ghost posted:

Maybe the guy's a loon.

Hbomberguy posted:

Maybe the key slowed him down because it got covered in greasy sweat and/or cheeto dust, or got broken from the sheer pressure of being violently mashed at incredible speeds.
I agree there are mental issues being revealed here, but not Monty's.

Hbomberguy posted:

It's 'common' to do this very troubling thing, so let's not complain about it!
Exactly. Complaining would just make you come off like a narrow minded asshat...

HiveCommander posted:

[sarcasm]
B...but that's what makes Monty such a special snowflake! He doesn't conform to using programs made for rendering like the sheeple masses, which makes his work as wonderful and unique! Can't you people see that he is a creative genius? Monty's just misunderstood, like all great artists.
[/sarcasm]
Like this guy, making GBS threads on someone for making a creative effort. Nevermind that other people find value in it, regardless of their "mental age" and even if nobody at all valued it. What is your justification for making GBS threads on Monty Oum for making RWBY? Did he beat out your superior animated production at the Streamys? If he did, you might have a justifiable beef with the judges, not him. This is being wretched, not critical.

Sure, I'm going to be poo poo on for this, but while reading the last page did anyone else feel like they were in some corner of a school cafeteria listening to a group of mean spirited children talk poo poo about the fat and awkward kid just because they could?

beaner69 posted:

Dude literally pushes 55 on the microwave instead of 100 to save a button push.
As everyone should. :colbert:

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

question one's own assumptions.
Yes. Do more of this.

I didn't ignore the other 5 pages of posts. I read them, and agree with most.
I'm not comparing/condemning the whole thread. I sited specific posts. There were maybe five?
I made this thread for criticism/discussion of a show that has much to criticize/discuss. I do have a problem with communal poo poo-canning of a person's character because his work is significantly flawed.

boom boom boom posted:

Sometimes creative efforts are really terrible and deserve making GBS threads on.
Yes. The effort.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Also you can't stop people who attack people's characters by calling them meanyheads (or in your case, calling them children with mental disorders). It's better to try and raise the discussion than lower yourself to it.

Yes. It's usually a stupid move to pick fights with people on the internet for being mean. Sorry to derail.

Concerning ep 7.5, this show keeps screaming with the video game vibes. Also, if only their were 12 kingdoms...

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

This is why relatively straightforward critique... is being imagined as school bullies... with mental disorders... picking on a kid in the cafeteria... :words:
You make a staunchly level headed assessment and sound arguments. You win. :cheers:

So the same criticisms keep rolling in. If I tallied them up, itemized and added them to the OP would that help people to chill out just a bit?

If this thread must become a support group for people who feel... no, can objectively prove that they/the world/creativity/competency has been fundamentally wronged by Monty Oum or those that find something to appreciate in his projects... yeah, I can't do a drat thing to stop you. Keep at it. You're doing great. :jerkbag:

I might be crazy for thinking this is all being taken way too seriously and way too far, 'cause I'm just looking to occasionally talk about this stupid show that I like watching.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

No, I don't like his garbage loving defense of "Good job, guys, you said mean things, what a bunch of douchebags AM I RIGHT???" instead of growing a pair and standing up for himself and the things he likes. If you're going to say something about people talking poo poo, say something, don't just do this pissy bullshit where you whine about how mean people are.

How easy do you think it is to satisfy the sensibilities of all the perspectives and personalities posting on this thread? Not possible? If it is possible, it's not worth the time to perfectly formulate the words that can't possibly be misinterpreted or misrepresented by anyone else.

As for my defense. I've mentioned it before. I recognize the problems. I'm not blind or stupid. But I'm not going to convince you that Ruby's little exchange with Jaune over the punch bowl was a solid start to the last episode, and I'm not going to try. Your focus is elsewhere. It's not wrong. It's yours. I'm focusing on things that I can like. I see the awful animation scenes, but I guess I've grown a thick skin for this. You're also probably not going to convince me to drop it. So let's just call this a matter of taste (yeah yeah... bad taste, got it). But still.

So I'm an rear end in a top hat... you're an rear end in a top hat... but this is the internet so it really ain't that at all. And I just can't help it so... Keep firing assholes!

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Cool so stop doing the sanctimonious horseshit like you're so loving put upon because people are discussing how the thing you enjoy is garbage.

I can make no such promises.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Seriously dude, nobody really cares that you like it.

Well a few are getting plenty worked up over something, that's for sure.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Yes over the show being bad. Because it is. This doesn't make it an attack on you or even about you (please note I've never called you out for liking it, only for doing this smug horseshit like you're so much better than the people complaining) and you conveniently managed to not actually address my point do kudos to you for continuing the mealy mouthed bullshit for babies who can't handle the things they like being criticized.

I'm probably missinterpretting this like everything else here ever, but if you're admitting to being made angry because a show is bad, you might reflect on that for a bit. :horse:

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

I'm working on Team LWNY, but so far I only have Wemwe Duff with more of an earth-tones color scheme. He wields a blunderbuss/full silverware set and is scarcely noticed by others except for his rhotacism... until the day he murders Velvet.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

Last I check, Cardinal, Coffee, and Sun aren't colors?

That color stuff is just imagination limiting nonsense. I'd try to make up some absurd commonality to build a RWBY team, but I can't beat what's already cannon: JNPR is made up of legendary characters who at some point went crossdressing (Thor/Achilles/Joan of Arc/Hua Mulan).

So colors? gently caress that. Make a team based on gender swapped Mister Clean, Scrubbing Bubbles, Brawny Man, and the Jolly Green Giant. Teams like MSBJ could be fan-fic-loving-fantastic.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Take out the gender swap part and we'll talk.

Alright, then we'll replace Scrubbing Bubbles with Ronald McDonald and call the team MRBJ. Ronald will of course struggle with diabetes induced dirt poor endurance, while Mister Clean develops clearly epic combos with Brawny Man. However, Brawny will be forced to call them all out adding to the internal strife following Dr. Ozpin's choice of a mute as team leader.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

And then when someone said this, Monty apparently said "gently caress you!" verbatim, which isn't exactly the most tactful way of admitting you're wrong.

Definitely not. Later the guy he told to gently caress off went and switched the 'v' and 'w' characters on his keyboard as a kind of layered payback and you know what happened? Monty went to the guy's house and shot his Labrador.

The dog is fine now, fully recovered and being a Labrador still loving loves Monty, but it's still messed up if you think about it.

Oh. And about episode 8... That was pretty awful, not gonna lie.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 26, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

pentyne posted:

after that "joke" you must have the media taste equivalent of a gutter palate if you thought anyone would find that amusing or funny in the slightest.

Coming from someone who doesn't recognize the comedy gold that is RWBY.

FYI: I edited the OP to be more reasonable and less insane. For what it's worth, thanks for the albeit brutal reality check.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 26, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

"This show would be perfect if X happened instead" is the central conceit of fanfiction - a simultaneous admission that one likes, or wants to like, the show but that they are a better creator than its originator

Building a Lego set with variations from the instructions isn't necessarily asserting your superiority.

I got what you said about the Plinkett reviews, but I don't see the connection.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

RWBY isn't made of LEGOs though, it's made of poo poo.

:lol: I was more or less defending the way my mind always makes Pacifica die in Scrapped Princess. Is it fan fiction if you don't write it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Why did you want Pacifica to die so much?

Don't get me wrong. Pacifica was great and I'm still impressed how they balanced her spoiled nature and heavy angst in a way that kept her consistently so drat likable. It just didn't seem to make sense considering the circumstances. I'll buy that in their future that kind of a mortal gut wound may be treatable. But who/what did it? Did Zephy unlock her combat medic suite when the walls fell?

I say this because I'll admit to putting considerable thought into how to adapt that show into a two part movie. Everything else is mostly dialog/scene/style tweaks and some backstory and... oh god. I am writing fan-fiction. :smithicide:

• Locked thread