Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Any thoughts that they might do some sort of a tie-in with what's going to happen with the new Avengers movie? Season 1 being infiltrated by Hydra was pretty consistent with the Captain America movie.

Avengers 2 is going to happen at the very end or after the end of season 2, but it's going to involve an AI that was meant to be a peace keeping replacement for SHIELD/superheros that goes rogue and tries to destroy humanity, and will probably be pretty close to successful considering it will be summer movie blockbuster stakes, so yeah I would guess they will touch on it for at least an episode or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I think Agent 33 is just Agent 33. Or will be a much more minor character. She seemed really weak after Whitehall died. She's like Ward, she needs someone to follow, she's not a leader, I don't think she has Madame Hydra potential.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Except Mad Men does it so much better because it doesn't boil sexism down with child-like simplicity. Its easy to say it was wrong to toss women out of the workplace and blah blah blah, but the question is: was it really? World War II took an unprecedented toll on this country. Nearly every eligible man had to put his life on hold for years, risk life and limb in a strange land, and experience unfathomable trauma only to come home and.. what? Be told he still can't start his life because there are no jobs? How is that fair to the men who did their duty and made that sacrifice? And, more importantly, what happens to this country when there are millions of unemployed, disaffected young men running around? Everybody has to make sacrifices in war. Men put up their lives, women put up their careers. Yes, it sucks, but that's life and its disingenuous to portray the social cost of war as "men are all mean sexists, rah rah tough female spy!"

Hahahahahahahahahshsbshshsgsdkfkcj

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Ratings-wise, nope. It's down from last season's so-so numbers, with a decent possibility that they'll decline further when it returns from the break.

I still think it's more likely than not to eke out a third season, but live viewership remains the most important ratings metric and its numbers there can't be called "fine."

The Civil War movie has the potential to change the show the same way Winter Soldier did, but in a theoretical third season of SHIELD, they would only be able to get like one or two episodes tied in since it comes out May 2016, so I hope they at least get to four seasons. Like, if they do get that far, I'd just about guarantee that that's all the show will be about, the SRA and emergent Inhumans and how Coulson's new SHIELD fits in with all that morally. And I'd kinda like to watch that if they handle it as well as they handled the Winter Soldier HYDRA changes.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

Who are they setting up to inherit HYDRA now? Von Strucker?

I was surprised no one said anything in the thread at the time but they mentioned him in that first scene around the hydra table with wine, but the guy said it with a heavy accent so I almost didn't catch it.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Not-Nightcrawler took her to Not-Genosha, remember?

Xtanstic posted:

I guess you forgot the part where he literally told her to go kill herself

I actually rewatched that episode tonight and wondered why if he's going to assemble a group of supervillians in just an episode or two, why would he tell a powered person begging him for direction to gently caress off and then just go find a bunch more.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Martout posted:

Sam Jackson is significantly less surprising than RDJ and I can't believe I have to spell that out for you.

I don't disagree, but if dude had two spare seconds while they were filming AoU to shoot one scene where Bobbi and Mack walk up to a desk talking about their findings and the camera pans up to show Tony and he says "very good" and they throw it in as a stinger at the end of an episode it would still be enough for people to flip. They wouldn't even have to show him again, follow up episodes could just be "omg I can't believe you were working for stark all along, why?"

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Coulson, Hunter, and Fitz are in blue, Deathlok in the back, and the red looked like Ward, agent 33, and Cal to me.

Edit: yeah Bakshi makes more sense

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
You guys are making me excited for a runaways show that probably won't happen, stop :(

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Isn't runaways about a bunch of teenage kids of previously established supervillains? Of which there are very few in the MCU and most are dead anyway?

Super villains yes, pre-established no. They were out on the west coast instead of New York and their parents were new characters that were a shadowy cabal. Except for Victor, he was Ultrons "son".

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Does May ever get... not the way she is? Glowering and then very occasionally kicking someone but glowering harder about it?

A little bit. Just in the last couple episodes there's been a lot of focus on humanizing her. Especially once she comes to terms with Triplett being 3-D Man.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Wait, you haven't caught up yet, right?

He's watching for the first time and has kinda been doing the equivalent of live tweeting his reactions, he seems to be around where Trip and Garrett first show up.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

How many episodes until the finale?

Tuesday's episode and then the two hour finale on the 12th.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

Also september for season 3? This year?! Back in my day we had to wait at least a year for resolution on crazy cliffhangers :argh:

Are you referring to something that's just going completely over my head? Because the traditional TV season has been from September-May for like...ever.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

swickles posted:

Captain America and IM 1 and 2 were on netflix until about a year or two ago.

Avengers was there for a while too. And I think one of the Thors at one point.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

The only thing that worries me is that they already have a pretty big cast of characters, if the showrunners are going to be able to juggle having a secondary team on the show and how they'll interact with Coulson's SHIELD.

I feel like this is probably why they initially conceived the spinoff that they ended up balking on, one of the shows would be agent stuff and the other would be secret warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

seaborgium posted:

DId no one else notice the most important bit at the end of that clip? Coulson had two working hands

I don't think it was ever in any doubt that would happen. Out of nowhere Walking Dead comic/show spoilers: Rick loses his hand in the comics and Kirkman has said that's one of his biggest regrets because even in the comic medium it's such a hassle to deal with portraying him without one hand yet still having him be action hero protagonist. It would be even harder on film, and the show wisely transferred some amputations to other characters. Having to always film Coulson with a prosthetic or cgi out his hand yet still have him be a bad rear end would have been a ridiculous constraint, he'll just always have a Michael Jackson glove from here on out and they'll call it a starktech hand or something.

• Locked thread