Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Binary Badger posted:

The next iPhone should have two pixie tubes embedded in the bottom plate that constantly display battery percentage while consuming 35% of the battery capacity

Nixie tubes :)

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pixie tubes would be cooler though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That reminds me there is (was?) an app that puts you in one of 100 random chat rooms depending on your battery percentage. As your battery wore down it would switch to the other chat room to talk with other strangers at 37% or whatever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FCKGW posted:

That reminds me there is (was?) an app that puts you in one of 100 random chat rooms depending on your battery percentage. As your battery wore down it would switch to the other chat room to talk with other strangers at 37% or whatever.

Hahaha I love that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Question Mark Mound posted:

What's the process for actual transparency?

I dunno if it's because i use an iPhone 11, but i can't simply
tap and hold on image > copy > paste in text field > send

That just gives me the white background.

I have to

Tap and hold on image > share > target app > target person/thread in app > send
And even that won't work in fb messenger because zuckerberg has never heard of .png

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 13, 2022

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that Corgi is moldy or something on the bottom.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The search being right there is legit kinda annoying.

It just seems so out of place

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MarcusSA posted:

You can turn it off in Settings -> Home Screen

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My third pair of Lightning earbuds broke like the others and I've had it. I'm not going to spend 100+ euros on Bluetooth earbuds but there are plenty under ranging from 7 euros (yeah those are sure to be great) to like 49 euros that I'd be willing to go for instead of the 19 euro Lightning pieces of garbage. What am I in for with the cheaper stuff? I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobooks but wouldn't mind using them for music and phone calls. Aside from the Apple tax, why is the price gap so huge?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

It's the change in dismissal behavior that's super annoying. Before you could swipe up anywhere to get rid of the search view. Now you've got to swipe up from home bar.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Stare-Out posted:

My third pair of Lightning earbuds broke like the others and I've had it. I'm not going to spend 100+ euros on Bluetooth earbuds but there are plenty under ranging from 7 euros (yeah those are sure to be great) to like 49 euros that I'd be willing to go for instead of the 19 euro Lightning pieces of garbage. What am I in for with the cheaper stuff? I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobooks but wouldn't mind using them for music and phone calls. Aside from the Apple tax, why is the price gap so huge?

Grab the 10€ lighting to 3,5mm adapter, use whichever wired earbuds you like? The audio codec inside is proper good.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

.Z. posted:

It's the change in dismissal behavior that's super annoying. Before you could swipe up anywhere to get rid of the search view. Now you've got to swipe up from home bar.

You can still tap in the limbo space instead of swipe up to dismiss. But yes, it is inconsistent.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Inner Light posted:

You can still tap in the limbo space instead of swipe up to dismiss. But yes, it is inconsistent.

I ran across this one trying to find the Lock Screen setup yesterday, it’s one of those little change for change-sale things Apple passes off as innovation, because I did use the screen changer there. How many users know you can change that back, or how to?

Another tip if you use dictation a lot- the keyboard changes are nice, but you can turn off the auto-punctuation feature in your keyboard settings. The code is seemingly (Hear a pause? Flip and a coin and add a period or comma) and it was bad enough in the beta I finally got feedback from my feedback to test it out more. Once that was done I tried it for 5 more minutes in the latest beta before turning it off again.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but not one of the pictures I’ve taken since the update can be used with the Lock Screen depth effect.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I ran across this one trying to find the Lock Screen setup yesterday, it’s one of those little change for change-sale things Apple passes off as innovation, because I did use the screen changer there. How many users know you can change that back, or how to?

Another tip if you use dictation a lot- the keyboard changes are nice, but you can turn off the auto-punctuation feature in your keyboard settings. The code is seemingly (Hear a pause? Flip and a coin and add a period or comma) and it was bad enough in the beta I finally got feedback from my feedback to test it out more. Once that was done I tried it for 5 more minutes in the latest beta before turning it off again.

Yep when using dictation with Siri I always said “period” “comma” etc. instead of letting AI figure out what I mean. AI has its place, for example with spelling corrections it works well, but I like to say where I want my commas and what gear I want my PRNDL car in :-)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Grab the 10€ lighting to 3,5mm adapter, use whichever wired earbuds you like? The audio codec inside is proper good.

I have a 2nd Gen SE so 3,5mm means nothing to me, and the reverse is pointless because the lightning is the primary issue to begin with. It loving sucks rear end. Three lightning headphones and all of them have failed within a year. At this point I'd rather go with bluetooth, I just don't get why the price range is so ridiculously huge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but not one of the pictures I’ve taken since the update can be used with the Lock Screen depth effect.

It has to do some processing in the background first, I assume running the copy subject function on every photo in your library. In my time fussing with the feature, it really only works on photos that get added to the "featured" category when selecting a wallpaper photo. New photos don't make it into that list (and I'm not sure how long it takes) so my assumption is you have to wait until the phone gets around to doing the processing.

(having any widgets active disables depth effect too)

edit - the photo might have to fit into the people/pets/nature categories too. Oh and zooming in at all disables depth effect as well.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 13, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I have a 2nd Gen SE so 3,5mm means nothing to me, and the reverse is pointless because the lightning is the primary issue to begin with. It loving sucks rear end. Three lightning headphones and all of them have failed within a year. At this point I'd rather go with bluetooth, I just don't get why the price range is so ridiculously huge.

Yeah the point is the adapter plugs into your lightning port and gives you a 3.5mm jack you can plug any headphones you want into.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMX62ZM/A/lightning-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You can turn this off in Settings > Homescreen

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Is there a way to launch an app or Shortcut from a widget on the lockscreen? Google led me to an app named Launcher which should be able to even if I'm struggling to figure out exactly how. I'm wondering if there's a built in option I'm missing, or if anybody has widget app to recommend.

edit: Lockflow seems to be better free alternative, still lacks a few features I'd like such as custom icons for Shortcuts.

mrking fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 14, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rafikki posted:

Thanks!!

.Z. posted:

Yeah this too.

Skeezy posted:

You can turn this off in Settings > Homescreen

Thanks!!

Another issue and this happens all the time in the settings is I tried to search for the term “search” and the option above didn’t come up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah the point is the adapter plugs into your lightning port and gives you a 3.5mm jack you can plug any headphones you want into.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMX62ZM/A/lightning-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

That's what I meant by reverse, I don't trust the lightning port for audio anymore. Like I said, I've had three, THREE official Apple lightning earbuds fail on me. It's not the port on the phone because it charges fine and I've not mistreated the earbuds at all but after six months they start activating Siri on their own, maxing out the volume on their own or speeding up podcasts. They're crap. I'm done with wires, especially lightning wires.

I've been using a 2011 iPod Nano with 3,5mm Apple earbuds for podcasts instead and it works fine, by the way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I post an image to this forum, now, the iOS asks me every time if I really want to paste from my clipboard. Anyone know how to turn this off?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

When I post an image to this forum, now, the iOS asks me every time if I really want to paste from my clipboard. Anyone know how to turn this off?

Don’t think this can be turned off. At least Apple doesn’t allow users to set trusted apps so you don’t have to see it constantly yet.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Stare-Out posted:

I adored both pairs of AirPods I owned, but they suffer from the dumbest engineering flaws which I am convinced are intentional so they get to sell a lot more than they might otherwise.

So, I got these: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless-Advanced-Cancelling-Earbuds/dp/B09HLCJ844. I love them. I got a refurb pair and Jabra does it right. They were like new and one year in are still going strong. Excellent sound quality and decent ANC. Not as good as Apple, but close, and I expect they’ll last me another year or two at least before they crap out, better than Apple in that respect for sure. Good luck!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

I adored both pairs of AirPods I owned, but they suffer from the dumbest engineering flaws which I am convinced are intentional so they get to sell a lot more than they might otherwise.

So, I got these: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless-Advanced-Cancelling-Earbuds/dp/B09HLCJ844. I love them. I got a refurb pair and Jabra does it right. They were like new and one year in are still going strong. Excellent sound quality and decent ANC. Not as good as Apple, but close, and I expect they’ll last me another year or two at least before they crap out, better than Apple in that respect for sure. Good luck!

Those go for about 150 euros over here and that's a bit too rich for my blood. I'm looking at a pair of 40 euro ones currently which have had some decent reviews; I'm sure they're not top of the line obviously but more in line for something I'd use every couple of days for a few hours for podcasts mostly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

This is a security feature because so many apps were stealing user's clipboard contents. They should implement a way to turn it clipboard pasting on permanently for specific apps.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

Worth noting that the little search icon still acts like a quick scrub shortcut between your home screens if you drag your finger over it.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

MarcusSA posted:

rafikki posted:

This bothered me but I didn't realize it--thanks to you both. Maybe Apple knows that swipe to search is highly undiscoverable/unused. But once you know that gesture the search button is just an eyesore.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Worth noting that the little search icon still acts like a quick scrub shortcut between your home screens if you drag your finger over it.

I usually only have one home screen to have the app library one swipe away, so I'm glad I have the option to remove it. But I wonder what the hell Apple is doing with its search tools/gestures. By default in iOS 16 tapping the search button, swiping to search, and swiping for app library all overlap in functionality somewhere between 80-100%.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

AT&T people - when you upload your ID to prove you're an actual person who wants a new phone, does it always take forever for them to update the order status page saying they'll cancel your order unless you comply within 24 hours? I did it on Friday minutes after I got the email/text, and it's still saying it today. If I click the link again it says it's already been done, is it too much work for them to update the page to say it's been received and just waiting to be validated? Hell the order doesn't even appear on my existing AT&T account for my fiber.

Ugh, so there is a problem and nobody so far seems to know why or how to fix it. I’m sure this bodes well for me getting my phone at launch!

How they’ve managed to overcomplicate buying a phone from a phone company is beyond me, but here we are.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I usually only have one home screen to have the app library one swipe away, so I'm glad I have the option to remove it. But I wonder what the hell Apple is doing with its search tools/gestures. By default in iOS 16 tapping the search button, swiping to search, and swiping for app library all overlap in functionality somewhere between 80-100%.

And who says Apple doesn’t give you options.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: whoa wrong thread, please disregard

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The way album art takes over your lock screen, including colour, is a bit annoying/ugly IMO.
I'm a commuter, I listen to podcasts, the improved controls are good but the BIG loving PICTURE is obnoxious.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

~Coxy posted:

The way album art takes over your lock screen, including colour, is a bit annoying/ugly IMO.
I'm a commuter, I listen to podcasts, the improved controls are good but the BIG loving PICTURE is obnoxious.

Tap the album art

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

I actually wish there was a padlock widget, since one of my authenticators forces you to biometric before accepting a prompt.

I just noticed that the padlock does actually still exist, it just goes away after a second of "being unlocked".

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Finally updated to 16, turns out I couldn’t go past 15.7 because I had forgotten to remove the beta profile for iOS 15 last year.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Tap the album art

I like that this is an option now, I love the big art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Tap the album art

Oh my god