Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you want to restore an old iPhone backup to your new iPhone, that's the way to go, but you won't get the Galaxy stuff on your new iPhone unless it's stored on a server or your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That could probably be used by apps, didn't Garageband do something like that where it used the motion sensor to sense how hard you hit the keys?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

With my iPhone 5, I could just start a wifi connection (as in tethering) from my iPad Air, but with the 6+ that's not possible anymore. All devices are on 8.0.2, what's the deal with that? Is there a setting I might've missed? The 6+ was restored from an iCloud backup of the 5, so it should be set up exactly the same.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, I considered that, too, but that didn't do the trick. I just noticed that iCloud keychain isn't working on both devices, but I can't activate it because it won't send the activation code to my iPhone. Guess I'll call support tomorrow morning.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, I get those and also sometimes notifications won't go away when I change orientation, or, actually, orientation will not change and the notification will still be there. Basically holding phone in portrait mode, notification pops down, turn phone to landscape, notification is stuck and phone still displays as portrait (or changes to landscape and notification stays in portrait mode, I don't remember). I'll have to actively swipe the notification up/left for it to disappear or hit the home button or something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Just take it back already.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

How do they know you bought that thing, though? If they check you you can show your receipt but they usually don't check. It feels so weird.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, that probably drains the battery fast because chances are you'll be going through areas with lovely cell reception. Using the internet during train rides would kill the battery something fierce from what I remember.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Here's what red looks like, about 2 months in:

http://imgur.com/crEHncN

Zwille fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 15, 2014

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I dropped mine a couple times already. Unless it lands on the screen or you forcibly throw it down, it's relatively safe, the leather is about 1 mm thick..

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Have you tried Dashlane?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yep, that's on iCloud keychain now. Enter a new wifi password and the login gets synched to all devices.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Minidust posted:

Are the people in the anti-plug crowd just never offloading their videos? I'd have run out of space a long time ago if I wasn't plugging the phone to my computer now and then.

Or they have a 128 GB phone. :smuggo:

I'd probably run out of iCloud space well before that so it's not very well thought through on my part, yeah.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Then you'd have to have mixed race families too. Somebody do the math on that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Did you try iCloud backup?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to remove certain news outlets from the iOS 9 beta spotlight search? It's got a terrible local tabloid which I'd really like to avoid seeing while searching. Barring that, is there a way to remove news from spotlight altogether?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

robodex posted:

This is likely Beta jank but if you're in a Non-US country the news app doesn't install, which is fine except you still get news popping up in search and tapping stories does nothing :downs:

Switch the region to US and reboot - you should have the News app then. I'm not sure but I think you couldn't tap those stories even with the app active. File it as a bug.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Riven posted:

Me. Don't miss the iPad except for the occasional game that is iPad only.

Kaizoku posted:

I had, and then PDFs reentered my life at a frequency never seen before.

Same. I only miss it for the occasional PDF and XCOM. Reading PDFs on either iPhone 6+ or a MacBook just doesn't cut it. If given the choice I'd probably switch back to a regular 6/s and get a new iPad come Wednesday.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

In Germany you are lucky if you get 1GB of data with your contract.

At least one provider in Denmark offers 100GB of data (usable all over Europe), that costs something like $60/month.

What's stopping people from getting a Danish number/SIM?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Figured as much. Although the EU has been relatively good at lowering text message prices, here's hoping they force everyone to offer similarly generous data plans. O2 Germany already has country agnostic (within the EU) data plans, but still just single digits for €30 or something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

robodex posted:

Honestly, getting a case really helps that. I had the same problem with my 6+ but once I put a case on it that wasn't as "slippery" it was fine.

Either that or Grip Tape? :v:

That's not going to make it any smaller or more comfortable to tuck away. I've come to terms with it until the 7 drops, but I kinda regret having the 6+. It's just too big.

If grip is the major complaint a case is gonna help a ton though (and it's not gonna be better at a smaller size because the smaller one has the same dumb curved edges).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Etrips posted:

Is that because it doesn't fit in your pocket or? I am still trying to decide if I want to get the 6s or 6s+ with the portability thing being the main deciding factor.

It's ok with most pants (I'm a tall guy though) in that it fits, but depending on the pants it can limit your flexibility. Sometimes it's difficult to ride bikes or tie shoes, for example. I've just accustomed myself to take it out whenever possible. If you want a portable phone get the regular 6s.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

robodex posted:

Yeah, I admit the 6+ is pretty loving massive but I'm used to it and couldn't imagine going to a smaller phone in the future :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, it's the perfect size to hold in both hands, portrait mode and type away with, but it's not the right size for most pants.

I dread relearning muscle memory with a smaller phone. Can't even type on 5-sized phones anymore so I hope the new small size - if they'll even make a small phone :v: - isn't too small next year.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

nwin posted:

I like You Need A Budget (YNAB)-it syncs across devices and is pretty easy to use.

Yeah, YNAB owns. Read/watch the tutorials though and try the trial. If you're still in college, it's free too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

I mean, I guess, but YNAB'S budgeting engine seems more robust than Mint's. Maybe I should try out Mint's budget thing.

Do you seriously input every purchase you make on a given day/week?

Yep, that's how it's supposed to work, I think. If I do bulk inputs I invariably lose some bill or forget to enter it. It gets faster if you shop at similar locations/shops over time. I like the aspect of having to enter the numbers manually, and seeing the budget shrink or drop in the red, it's made me sensitive to how much I spend.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wouldn't recommend using YNAB unless you used the PC/Mac version to set your budget though. That's one thing the mobile app lacks. The iPad can set budget figures, but it's more cumbersome than just doing it on a PC.

Don't you need a PC/Mac to initially set it up anyway? I prefer the iPad for setting budgets, it feels super smooth and simple.

Though if you wanna set up new categories you'll need to use the PC/Mac version which can be a bit annoying but on the other hand you're not supposed to create categories willy-nilly.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No clue since I set mine up on PC. But if you can't create categories on the iPad, then yeah I'm willing to bet you have to do the initial setup on PC.

The PC/Mac version is absolutely required to even get started. iOS versions basically are just client versions and can't do poo poo unless you have set up your budget on a PC/Mac version.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

saihttam posted:

Anyone know how the red leather ages?

It's nice for a couple months but after one year it sort of becomes smudged. You can see it in this picture, the original color is similar to what it still looks like on the inside. The picture was taken with the case about 2 years old, though I feel like it hasn't gained much since the first year.

These days I'd probably pick brown or black leather. They age the same but it doesn't look as terrible compared to the original bright red. My iPad Smart Cover in red wasn't affected by age nearly as much.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I lost all my health data when starting a fresh iPhone install from scratch because of some obnoxious bug that couldn't be fixed by a restore. Would there have been any way to transfer the health data over?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ah, so not even an iCloud backup would've carried health data over? Good to know. Meh.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/07/26/new-cochlear-hearing-implant-tech-will-stream-directly-from-iphones-other-apple-devices

Oh goody I am old so I can throw all my garbage Bluetooth headsets into the garbage once this is out on the market

Guess I have to ram my head against the wall three times to reset it if I get a new iPhone. :v: :bang:

I hope this works better than their current bluetooth solution where you have to charge an extra dongle to get BT functionality with your CI sound processor. If you so much as look at it wrong, it'll lose connection. I wonder if the sound processor is gonna act like a full fledged headset now.

Though personally I'm more stoked about the possibility of an iPhone acting as a CI remote. That's gonna own hard but my health insurance provider is gonna hate me when I apply for yet another CI upgrade. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

This seems to be Apple's current philosophy and is my biggest worry about my future with iPhones. Siri still struggles with my accent and I usually take a minimum of three tries to either get what I want or give up and do it myself. There really shouldn't be anything that Siri can do that I can't do by myself.

In iOS 11 there's an accessibility setting that lets you type Siri commands instead of speaking them :buddy:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

E: it's probably the "convert" that throws Spotlight off.

You don't even need to add "to ft" to that. Works with temperatures too and with time and currencies. Now if I could remember that sort of stuff... I already use Spotlight as a calculator but whenever I need to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius I bumble around until I find a website for that instead of just using Spotlight.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Those prices for texting another European country were like 80 cents a message. Sending MMS in-country cracked the 1 Euro barrier unless I'm mistaken. No wonder WhatsApp took off.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

There was an app called Hue disco which tied color changes to the beat and even had a strobe function. It was pretty dope. Another thing that was supposed to be a thing was syncing with tv shows for added atmosphere or something but that never really took off.

Other than that I have no idea.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Doesn't work on my 6+. Man.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

After playing around with the X for a bit in store I gotta say the fast app switching with the home bar is more of a draw to me than the camera or the design or whatever else there is. It's so buttery smooth!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Uh, since when does iPhone work with Apple Pencil? Or is this something else?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s how it’s supposed to work. Only your watch alerts you, the phone stays dark unless you wake it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Gunder posted:

O2 recycle gave me £195 for my 64gb 6S. Surely the 6 Plus wouldn't be THAT much less money?

Yeah 50 bucks or pounds for a 6+ seems weird. Mac2sell has it at 450 or something, so even taking 200 off that it’s really low.