Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does the native iOS Mail app have push for Gmail yet? I heard a while back that Google was going to let third-party non-Google apps use push again but I can't seem to get it to work as there is no option to enable push in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheQat posted:

push data for mail.app is on Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data

idk if it works with gmail, i assume it does though. Be warned that it supposedly craves battery, sweet battery, only battery forever and ever
I've had Push on since always for the Gmail app I've been using but below that setting there are separate settings for data fetching for iCloud, Gmail and a... Holiday Calendar, and only iCloud has Push as an option, Gmail just has "Fetch" and "Manually" and choosing the former seems to not mean Push. I guess it's still only for iCloud and not Gmail. :saddowns:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kaizoku posted:

Google blocked push for non Google Apps users from services and apps not run by Google themselves like a million years ago. Some were grandfathered in but it was attached to their device, upgrading disabled it. Perhaps this is related.

Also no TheQat, it doesn't work for Gmail due to the aforementioned reasoning.
Yeah, I remember when they did that and I had to stop using the iOS Mail app because of it but then I found this article and unless I'm reading it completely wrong, that means they've enabled it again?

Ochowie posted:

Actually, there is now a Gmail API with push support. However, it hasn't been implemented by Mail.app at this point.
Ahh there we go. This is good to know, hope they get to it soon. Cheers.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why don't they have adblockers for 32 bit devices? That's bullshit.

E: Also iTunes Match just shat its pants.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 13, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Croc Monster posted:

It seems all of their login servers have. App store on OS X keeps bouncing me out from doing updates as well, even though it's showing up as working on the status page.
iTunes keeps reminding me every 10 seconds with a super obnoxious pop up that it can't access iCloud Music, even when I'm not playing music and all the music is actually on my HDD currently.

E: Seems sorted now.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 13, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had a problem with iTunes Match and my iPhone since early iOS 8, which is that the downloaded songs can't be managed in any way. The Music app never shows up under Storage or whatever it is and the only way to clear local Match songs is to disable and then re-enable Match on the iPhone which is less than an elegant solution and takes ages. I clearly remember being able to pick and choose which downloaded songs I want to delete or just delete them all to get some space, but can't seem to anymore. I can't do it from the Music app itself either.

I've heard some people say I should just let iOS manage it all for me which would be all well and fine but the thing still whines about lack of space and shows like 20MB remaining with no way to clear it apart from restarting Match. :saddowns:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dutchbstrd posted:

If you go to settings->general->storage->manage storage, you definitely get an option to selectively delete an entire artist, album or song. Just swipe left on whatever you want to delete.
That's what I'm saying, I definitely do not get that option. It hasn't been there since very early iOS 8. The Music app won't show up on the list of apps taking space. Even after I've downloaded a gig of music off Match by listening to the songs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I think I'm pretty overdue on that anyway with "Other" taking like 2GB of space. Hopefully that'll fix it if it comes to that but I'm still pretty curious as to the cause and a possible solution to this problem.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That sounds reasonable, but I've had that for over a year now, and I'm not subscribed to Apple Music. Could have something to do with iTunes Match though.

E: Yeah backup/restore did absolutely nothing, Music still not showing up in the storage management nor did I get any free space. In fact, I've seemed to have lost an additional hundred megs in the process :suicide: In fact, the iPhone's says there's 803 Megs available and iTunes says there's 1,72GB available. Whaaaa

E2: iPhone now says 797 MB available. iTunes saying 1,48GB. I did nothing. This is what it must be like to watch someone eat their own head.

E3: Boy oh boy I'm dumb. Did a factory reset and then a restore instead of just a regular restore like before and hey, 3,2GB of space now! Tops! though I did lose all my BlueReader ebooks and Music is still not appearing in space management so back to square one. :saddowns:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 1, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a dumb question, is FaceTime free? Basically I'm looking for a Skype alternative (because Skype is poo poo) and weirdly trying to find out if using FaceTime costs to use gives conflicting answers. If I call someone's Apple ID it's the same as doing an account-to-account Skype call? I'm on an unlimited data plan/WiFi so bandwidth usage isn't an issue, but is there a chance that FaceTime suddenly starts using normal call mode and actually charge me as though I made a normal call? Just wanna be 100% clear on this before I start hitting up friends internationally.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Facetime itself is 100% free
Sweet, gotcha. Thanks!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm making moves towards proprietary apps (fuckin' no Gmail push for Mail.app :argh:) and I'd love to ditch Skype forever a million times over. Bloated unreliable piece of garbage that most of the time doesn't even ring when people try to call. The tricky part is trying to convince friends to leave their comfort zone and actually use FaceTime instead of Skype.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

e.pilot posted:

If they already have FaceTime logged in and set up, just start calling them with FaceTime, their phone will ring like normal.

That or even Facebook messenger is better than Skype these days.
It's weird, calling them isn't the problem, it's not having them use Skype to call me that's the problem. A lot of people still think (like I did earlier) that using FaceTime costs or it involves a lot of fiddling and even though neither of those things are true, it's enough to keep people using Skype, even when making a FaceTime call is exactly like making a regular call which they do every day. Basically regular phone call functionality (plus video calls) just over the internet is exactly what I want, and knowing, I mean knowing that my phone will ring when someone calls is already a huge jump up from Skype which randomly decides if it wants to accept calls. I can't speak enough of how bad it is. Like oh hey thanks for the missed call notification just now for a call I missed four days ago. How the hell is it also like 150MB?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I mean FaceTime DOES cost if you're using your cellular Data connection.
That has nothing to do with the fact that I have an unlimited internet connection? How can I know whether or not it'll use that instead of, say, WiFi? Can that be disabled as an option altogether so it's forced to use an online connection?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hm, I'll have to give it a go a few times and see how it does things. Just basically trying to avoid happily FaceTiming away and ending up with a huge gently caress-off bill for international calls all of a sudden that FaceTime turned into regular calls instead of WiFi or 3G calls.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you have unlimited data, then go nuts with facetime over cellular.
That makes sense, just wanted a concrete answer just in case. Cheers.

nickutz posted:

If I have the option I almost always call with FaceTime audio because I like being able to understand what the other person is saying.
Regular calls have decent quality over here and Skype at its best is pretty clear but since it's peer-to-peer it's really drat susceptible to glitching out at the drop of a hat depending on the other person's signal and can drop down to a stuttery robotic mess. FaceTime uses an Apple proxy server between callers, right?

POCKET CHOMP posted:

FaceTime can't just turn into a regular call.
Sweet, that's good to know.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Another cool thing I recently discovered about FaceTime is that you can set it up on your Mac so you can receive normal iPhone calls on your Mac as long as they're on the same WiFi network. I often charge my iPhone using a socket on the other side of the room and not having to rush over to answer a call while I'm on my Mac is dang sweet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As hit/miss as it can be, it's weird to use Siri when she manages to get completely what you want her to do and does it instantly, if it then says something else or asks if there's anything else I need and opens the mic it's hard not to thank her and then feel dumb for thanking your phone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

e.pilot posted:

It doesn't switch to a normal phone call if the FaceTime connection drops, it just fully drops the call.

I've actually started using FaceTime voice with everyone I know that has an iPhone, the call quality is just magnificent.
That's good to know, I was reading into it before and there were quite a few people saying using FaceTime caused them to suddenly have huge phone bills for international calls because the FaceTime call "suddenly dropped down into a normal call" which seemed suspect enough but it's good to have confirmation.

Not that it matters because the person I most frequently had to use Skype with just today switched to Android. Skyyyypeeee :argh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

It's hosed up because I'm like 90% sure it used to tell you what song was currently being heard through the headset like Shazam does
That's exactly what it still does for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jesus, what did this Marco guy do?

For the record, the iOS Podcast app works great for me since it was revamped and I use it a few times a week with zero issues.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what's up with Siri suddenly not being able to do online image searches? My iPhone's language is different from Siri's English (Siri isn't available in my language) and if I try to do an image search it says it can't do it because it and my iPhone are in different languages. Eh?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was cleaning out a closet earlier and found an old Nokia 7110 and that thick motherfucker is a million times more comfortable to hold than any iPhone ever. Who wants their phone to be super thin anyway?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think that technology already exists and will probably be a thing in a few years time. I was just surprised how comfy a thick phone from 1999 felt compared to an iPhone.

On another note, I did a full backup and restore after 9.2 came out and since then the battery percentage has been off constantly. After a full 100% recharge it suddenly drops to 80 or 90 percent once I unplug it from the charger. A restart fixes it until the next recharge but I'd rather not do that every time. I just let the battery drain completely and recharged but that didn't work.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My SE seems to have a bit of a problem with its headphone jack. Whenever I plug them in, it automatically starts an audio app like Podcasts or iBooks (not sure how it chooses which one) as it detects headphones, and sometimes starts playing automatically for some reason. Intended?

Also a more severe issue is that if I make a call with the headphones in, after the call the headphones go dead. I can't hear anything through them. The play/pause and volume buttons still function normally. The microphone also stops working so no sound either way. A reboot solves this but clearly this isn't supposed to happen.

While the headphones work (after a reboot), if I make a call through Siri it still works afterwards though. It's only through manually making a call that it seems to screw up. I'm still under warranty so is this fixable by some simple way or do I have to take it in somewhere?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone else not getting notifications after the latest update? I only get some, but others just aren't showing up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

withak posted:

I downloaded 15.7 before I noticed that it was the wrong thing. :argh:

I did too :argh: :respek: :argh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can't agree to the new app store terms and conditions so no updating apps for now I guess. It just gives a non-specific error.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

haptic keyboard, baybeeeee

It's really nice, and the photo object cutting thing is kind of unbelievable. And having my lock screen be a basic version of the weather app (with a dynamic background!) is awesome.

SlowBloke posted:

Same server as the os download services so it's getting slammed. Wait a few hours.

Yeah I figured as much.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The weather lock screen is cool but it's a shame, and this is a nitpick, that the animation is a bit off. It's short, which is fine, but it starts somewhat janky and ends abruptly before the screen fades back off. Would be nice if it were more consistent but otherwise it's really cool and handy.

Of course now it's just been grey and cloudy since yesterday so it's not terribly exciting to look at. :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My third pair of Lightning earbuds broke like the others and I've had it. I'm not going to spend 100+ euros on Bluetooth earbuds but there are plenty under ranging from 7 euros (yeah those are sure to be great) to like 49 euros that I'd be willing to go for instead of the 19 euro Lightning pieces of garbage. What am I in for with the cheaper stuff? I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobooks but wouldn't mind using them for music and phone calls. Aside from the Apple tax, why is the price gap so huge?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Grab the 10€ lighting to 3,5mm adapter, use whichever wired earbuds you like? The audio codec inside is proper good.

I have a 2nd Gen SE so 3,5mm means nothing to me, and the reverse is pointless because the lightning is the primary issue to begin with. It loving sucks rear end. Three lightning headphones and all of them have failed within a year. At this point I'd rather go with bluetooth, I just don't get why the price range is so ridiculously huge.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah the point is the adapter plugs into your lightning port and gives you a 3.5mm jack you can plug any headphones you want into.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMX62ZM/A/lightning-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

That's what I meant by reverse, I don't trust the lightning port for audio anymore. Like I said, I've had three, THREE official Apple lightning earbuds fail on me. It's not the port on the phone because it charges fine and I've not mistreated the earbuds at all but after six months they start activating Siri on their own, maxing out the volume on their own or speeding up podcasts. They're crap. I'm done with wires, especially lightning wires.

I've been using a 2011 iPod Nano with 3,5mm Apple earbuds for podcasts instead and it works fine, by the way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

I adored both pairs of AirPods I owned, but they suffer from the dumbest engineering flaws which I am convinced are intentional so they get to sell a lot more than they might otherwise.

So, I got these: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless-Advanced-Cancelling-Earbuds/dp/B09HLCJ844. I love them. I got a refurb pair and Jabra does it right. They were like new and one year in are still going strong. Excellent sound quality and decent ANC. Not as good as Apple, but close, and I expect they’ll last me another year or two at least before they crap out, better than Apple in that respect for sure. Good luck!

Those go for about 150 euros over here and that's a bit too rich for my blood. I'm looking at a pair of 40 euro ones currently which have had some decent reviews; I'm sure they're not top of the line obviously but more in line for something I'd use every couple of days for a few hours for podcasts mostly.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you tried cleaning out the lightning port on your phone? It’s very odd that 3 pairs of headphones would die on you like that.

Yeah, pressurized air and all. The port seems to work fine, charges fine, transfers data fine, even the headphones "work", just they inevitably start going nuts on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I think the lightning port is much worse for headphones, the way the connection works makes it susceptible to the stresses of movement.

Yeah, it's weird because it feels secure enough.