Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I got a new red 11 non-pro a few weeks ago and was mildly displeased that Apple didn’t sell leather cases for it - both my 6+ and 8+ went a couple years on Apple leather cases. I did find a red leather case on Amazon, branded ‘Jisoncase’ for about half price compared to the Apple case.

It’s not too bad, has real metal volume/power buttons rather than the lovely ‘bumps’, but it’s a little thicker than Apple’s case. I’d rather have the OEM case, but this one is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

TraderStav posted:

For imprecise keyboards, turn off swipe. Apples implementation of it is garbage and doesn't transfer well over to regular non-swipe typing. You start 'slurring' your keypresses.

Holy poo poo, thank you for this. I thought I was having a neurological breakdown, since my typing was getting noticeably worse after 8 years of iPhones even though the phones themselves were increasing in size.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I really liked the 5/5S form factor and kept mine for longer than usual before upgrading to an 8 then an 11, but recently I had to use my dad’s 5S* and holy shitballs is it miserable to use now.

Either UI’s have changed or I just got used to a larger screen, but I can’t imagine using that small of a screen for anything but the most basic of phone functions. I just can’t see very many people going back to a smaller phone after having more screen real estate, and yes, I understand the small hands/pockets, etc. issue.

*I was setting up a 6S for the old guy - after insisting his old phone was ‘fine’, he now prefers the 6S’s size.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

realbez posted:

I think I still have every lightning cable I’ve ever gotten and none of them are damaged but my mum has at least 3 that I can think of that are held together with tape.

Same here with my GF.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

TheManWithNoName posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but is anyone else getting lag when opening up Messages? I start typing and the text takes a few seconds to show up on screen.

Yeah, I’ve been seeing that on my 11 as well.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I’ve used a leather case + glass screen protector for the last five years or so(6s plus, 8plus and 11) with good results - no breakage or significant scratches/dings. It keeps the thickness reasonably thin, and I’m fairly careful with my phones.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've honestly simply used the apple leather cases because of the combination of good feeling in the hand and good protection (including a lip so the front glass doesn't touch the surface it lays down upon) without being hugely bulky. They have saved my iphones from drops even onto concrete ever since I had a 5.

:same: here. Decent protection, not much extra thickness.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I found that the impedance of car AUX input(and even home stereos) varies quite a bit and often require the iPhone to have the volume cranked up almost all the way to get a listenable volume. Which fucks up the sound, as the iPhone’s sound goes to hell when approaching max.

I built a small $20 preamp from a kit and hooked it up inline between the aux input and the iPhone or the BT receiver, and the difference is amazing. Running the iPhone at about 1/4 to 1/3 volume seems to give the best sound, I just adjust the preamp’s gain to achieve that. The only issue is now you have more crap plugged in all over that needs to be powered by usb, but I’m going to take the console apart and hide it all inside the car’s dash, so it’s undetectable.

I had previously tried a headphone preamp, but that didn’t have enough balls to do the job.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have a fair amount of the same issue where it just won’t boot into CarPlay until I restart the car and I never know if it’s the car, the port, the cord or the phone.

I have that happen sometimes and it’s persisted through three different iPhones and three different cables including one brand-new Apple cable. I went to the dealer to see if they had a firmware update available, but no. :(

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

I pick up my phone and use it and then put it down when I’m done

I think I’m on the same rolling backup from the iPhone 4

Likewise.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I’m just imagining my phone processor added to the bottom of this comic.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

turns out the test for depression, anxiety, cognitive decline and autism is simply looking up whether you have awful.app installed on your phone

:hmmyes:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Normally I adapt pretty fast to Apple’s changes in UI and control mechanism but the one thing I still long for is TouchID.

Prolly doesn’t help that I use an old 8+ as a music player and backup shitposting/doomscrolling device when my newer phone’s on the charger, and having a Home button w/touchID just feels right.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Vegetable posted:

As someone with a blue iPhone 13 pro, I have to say it was unexpectedly hard to find a case that complements the phone. None of the official Apple cases work. I ended up just buying a slim case in a darker blue.

I had exactly the same issue; I went with a Mujjo blue leather case which seems to fit as nicely as the official Apple case, but it was also nearly as expensive as the official Apple case. :(

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I never type with my phone flat on a surface. I always pick it up. I guess everyone is different.

:same:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Laserface posted:

Car play is extremely underwhelming and does not get enough attention to improve it.

My aftermarket wireless CarPlay head unit will not launch to the Apple CarPlay interface unless you acknowledge the "don't watch movies while driving" warning message. It also won't do the above if you:

- didn't leave an app running CarPlay full screen
- used your phone at any point between turning the car off and turn into it on again

Despite numerous support tickets with Pioneer, this is apparently expected behaviour despite every single other wireless CarPlay device automatically launching correctly.

It also uses what feels like a 100mhz cpu for its native OS so it's sluggish as gently caress to do anything, like say launch CarPlay manually (about 15 seconds total spread over 2 taps on the screen, despite the audio source on the head unit playing from CarPlay, so it is automatically connecting.

The head unit cost nearly as much as my iPhone 12.

I have a cheapie Pioneer wired CarPlay reciever that works great, but when I added an aftermarket wireless kit(claimed compatibility with my head unit) to it, it did most of the same bad behavior as yours does and I just deal with plugging it in every time.

I think many of the aftermarket wireless CarPlay receivers and dongle setups are just not ready for prime time, it seems like it’s just not able to get enough throughput over Bluetooth to be responsive enough.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 24, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Hmm, interesting. I can kiiiinda see a difference, but I would never in a million years have noticed it if I wasn't trying incredibly hard.

Yeah, that was my impression on my 13Pro as well. I've just heard so many people say OMG 120HZ IT'S LIFE CHANGING, YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK, but obviously my eyes and/or brain never got the memo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It is unfathomable how jealous I am of people that can’t see the difference in >60hz refresh rates. When I got my 144hz monitor a few years ago everything just looked like trash, I couldn’t unsee the jerkiness. I would be so much happier aiming for 60fps rather than needing 100+

The biggest advantage right now of having a defective brain/eye combo that doesn’t notice high refresh rates is it saves so much money on video cards.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

this exists, but it alerts your stepbrother

Well played, I cracked up out loud and my dogs are looking at me quizzically.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I got a wireless CarPlay adapter (Carlinkit) and it works well enough except Waze makes it lag something fierce. Music or any other screen and it’s pretty good / responsive but if I leave Waze on the screen after 5-10 minutes there will be a 20+ delay on what the screen is showing and where I actually am.

I bought the same product and had the same thing happen, but I usually don’t use Waze, I use Apple Maps, and it’s tolerable for that. Still not great though, I went back to a wired setup after a couple weeks.

Edit: I’ll try changing those settings, thanks.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 30, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

iTunes on windows has always been godawful, even compared to the macOS version when it existed. It’s actually surprising Apple was happy to have people’s first impression of Apple stuff be that awful.

Yeah, it was pretty terrible when iPods were 5-20gig max, but when iPhones got larger in capacity, it really became miserable. I spun up a Hackintosh back in the day just to be able to use the Mac version.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

LionArcher posted:

There's a great guy who builds new iPod classic's for reasonable prices for what they are, with new batteries, sd cards, new front cases, the whole nine yards.

I just got a green one from him last month, and have been loving it.

be warned, the gold colored one is closer to bronze though, a friend got it and doesn't like the front.

https://eoe.works

I use it at my home desk on a dock. I've had a blast ripping cd's from the library at higher bit rates, and my old music library and going through it. Sounds so much better than Spotify.

Yeah, you can buy new copycat front and rear iPod Classic cases pretty cheap on fleabay - I redid a couple of old iPod Classics, a 30gig and 160 gig with new batteries, big fast SD cards and new shells, they look new and work better than new.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

I would assume most that aren't super thick would work? The 13 Pro Max is the only iPhone that needs an adapter to fit

Not trying to be ‘WELL ACHUALLY”, but the standard 13 Pro also needs the adaptor - the massive camera bulge is the culprit.

Source: waited for 6 weeks or so to get my adaptor so my 13 Pro worked correctly.

OP: I tried a couple of cases when I had my 11(which I think is the same form factor as the XS), and the Apple leather case worked, but barely. Being as thin as possible seems to be the key.

My 13 Pro has to be naked to fit the Backbone, there’s just not enough room.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 14, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

xzzy posted:

I've always been jealous of people that could walk around with earbuds and actually use them to listen to stuff. Whenever I put them in they were one stray head turn away from completely falling out.

Same. I don’t know how they fit on normal people so they stay in, but I’ve never been able to wear earbuds and such.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m kinda the opposite; I want to buy the last lightning iPhone so that I can avoid being in a position where I need 2 different connectors for as long as possible.

Same here, I have way too much stuff that uses Lightning and adaptors are a PITA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

peanut- posted:

Gmail doesn’t have one, Google announced Lock Screen widgets but they haven’t been released yet.

The only ones that seemed to last OK are the OEM Apple ones. The ones on Amazon all suck, even when they claim to be Apple-manufactured.