Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

Hey guys, since the chances of me using a Verizon 4S on AT&T are small as hell, what is my cheapest option? Is there some Verizon branded data plan I can throw some money at for a single month of usage? I'm only in this for data. I can live without talking to people for a few days.

PagePlus. A prepaid MVNO that runs on Verizon's 3G network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

flosofl posted:

Nope.

You have to make sure the phone is no longer on subsidy, but the carriers HAVE to unlock your phone now if you ask.

That law only made it legal again for consumers to unlock phones themselves using a third party service. There is no mandate that carriers unlock customer devices.

There was a separate "voluntary" agreement by the CTIA for carriers to unlock devices that meet certain criteria, but that doesn't go into effect until February or March 2015.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
So my replacement iFixit screen I installed in my iPhone 5 has developed a crack without any sign of impact/shatter, and they're not cooperating re: replacement.

Can anyone personally recommend a iPhone parts seller on Amazon, Newegg, or similar that's selling iPhone 5 screens for much less than iFixit ($60+shipping)? I just need a cheap replacement so I can trade it in to Sprint.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
It happened to me at the grocery store. I saw the Visa PayWave terminal light up blue, and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket it was already on and at the ApplePay screen asking for my fingerprint.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint iPhones (5c, 5s, 6, 6+) can now be fully Domestic SIM Unlocked, rather than just International SIM unlocked for foreign travel.
  • Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

These Sprint iPhones have all the LTE bands that the Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile versions have plus a few more.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Disable calling directly with your carrier. Most will let you disable incoming, outgoing, incoming & outgoing, long distance, etc.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Monoprice Lightning cables are Made For iPhone licensed and come with a lifetime warranty. We've had two in my house for about 2.5 years that seem to last about 6 months, but they keep sending us new ones for free.

Also, 3 feet is too short. Get 6-footers.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Jesus, a mount that goes in your CD slot? How deep into the drive does it go?

I have the iOttie for the iPhone 6, and that suction cup will stick to anything--dusty surfaces, textured plastic and vinyl dash coverings. I could see it causing damage if you really torque or pull it trying to remove it. Use a soft prying tool and it'll be fine.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
If you don't want to spend the money on a ProClip, iOtttie makes a good mount with a great suction cup that will stick on even a dusty, rough-textured dash.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Since you're on Sprint with Ting, I'd eliminate the 5 completely and try and find a 5c or 5s. That generation got more LTE bands than the 5, including LTE band 26 (850mHz) which offers a wider coverage area and better building penetration. The 5 only had band 25 (1900mHz). I immediately noticed a huge improvement in coverage when I upgraded from a 5 to a 6 (which is Sprint Spark tri-band with 850, 1900, and 2600). My 6 is always connected to LTE without falling back to 3G because it can bounce between the higher and lower LTE bands. My 5 would constantly fall back to 3G and take a few minutes to reconnect to LTE because the polling interval is much higher on iPhones than Android phones, at least on Sprint.

The 5c and 5s are also fully SIM-unlockable by Sprint, whereas the 5 is only foreign SIM-unlockable.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Offer a cash reward for your "lost" phone on the Lost Mode screen. Meet in a public place and take it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Housh posted:

Cheers! I was wondering if the vent clips were good. I like that it secures to the thing. I hate my old suction cup mount because it would always fall off during weather fluctuations.

If ProClip is too expensive, iOttie makes a great suction cup mount that will stick to anything. I installed it on a dusty, textured plastic dash and had a hell of a time prying it up to reposition it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Are there any Genius Bar employees or goons that have experienced stress fractures and are familiar with Apple's coverage for screens that have one single crack under x" length? It's not through to the surface as you can't feel it with a fingernail. No shattering or sign of impact.

It's frustrating because it's a $300+ Out-Of-Warranty Replacement iPhone 6 that's only a few months old. AppleCare Checker Tool shows that it came with a full 1 year warranty rather than the remainder of the original phone's, so it may be brand new, too. Or do the Out-of-Warranty replacements come with 1 year even though they're reconditioned?

I don't live near a store to plead my case in person, so I wanted to have my argument sound before I arrange the mail in service.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

The Casualty posted:

So my girlfriend managed somehow to slam her car door on her iPhone, totally obliterating the screen and putting a giant bend in the frame:

Amazingly, this thing still runs and charges and she managed to back up her files onto her Mac. I know screens can be replaced but do you think anyone will be able to repair a bent frame? I'm sure if I took it to an Apple store they'd just tell me that she has to buy a new phone but I'm trying to avoid that. Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm kinda rushing around at the moment.

Apple has an Out of Warranty replacement for $299 for accidentally damaged phones what don't have AppleCare+.
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about unlocking? I'm trying to switch networks (from virgin mobile to metropcs) in the US and both carriers have been generally incompetent and unhelpful. I just want to know if I can use my iphone 5s that I purchased from virgin mobile, on the metropcs network. I get a different answer from everyone I talk to and google hasn't yielded any definitive answers either. I guess my question is, how do I tell if my phone's unlocked without a SIM card? If there's a better thread for this I can take my question there.

Here's VM's unlock policy. First link by Googling "virgin mobile sim unlock." They'll unlock it after 12 months of activity.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/unlock/

Googling "iPhone LTE bands" will show you that the Sprint/Virgin iPhone 5s has all the same LTE and GSM/UMTS bands as the US GSM model, plus a few extra.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Biodome posted:

Sprint will only activate phones from Sprint.

This is not correct. Sprint has a Bring Your Own Phone program now.

Eligible devices include: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s (Verizon only), iPhone 5c (Verizon only), Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors), Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black and white), Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black, white and red), Nexus 5X (all versions), Nexus 6P (all versions), HTC One A9 (Sprint version only), iPad Air 2, iPad Air (Verizon only), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Verizon only) and iPad Pro

Considering how few phones from other carriers even support Sprint's unique combination of LTE bands (25, 26 and 41) and CDMA, this list is pretty generous. For example, I don't think the Tmo/AT&T iPhone 6 has Sprint's high frequency "Spark" band 41, yet they still allow you to bring it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
IPhone SIM Unlocks (at least for Sprint) can get pushed over the air now without requiring an iTunes restore. Since it's Apple that handles the activation process and maintains an unlocked iPhone whitelist, I assume that's true for all carrier locked phones getting an unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

This is accurate.