Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gold iPhones look tacky as gently caress to me, but if you've got a case on it (like you should), then the gold will probably be hidden and you'll never see it anyway.

Right. I don't know about the 6/6+ yet, but the only way my 5S looks different from a white one in the official case is the ring around the home button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

jackpot posted:

So make the models go 32-64-128, since memory is cheap.

The nerve of them getting rid of 32 GB and offering 64 at the same price. They should just sell everything at cost!

So the incentive to get more space is extra high this time. The reason I never get the base model isn't so much that I really need all the space, I just don't enjoy having to manage the space every week or so. I had to do that maybe twice on the 5S with 64 GB. And if I suddenly need major amounts of space, I can just jettison some space-hogging games or whatever.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

16gb extra storage on the base model would be a few dollars for Apple. You can go ahead and say "they're not running a charity :smug:" but the fact is that the base model is really limiting unless you do everything on the cloud and janitor your phone. It's just plain dumb and if I upgrade I'm definitely swinging the extra for 64gb.

The bigger display on the 6 plus probably also doesn't cost them $100 more. I agree about the base model being limited, but people who can pay their phone bills can afford $100 for more storage over the 1 or 2 years that they keep that phone. It's nothing compared to the phone bills over that time.

kitten smoothie posted:

So they still have a 16GB model for the super price sensitive, but for everyone else, they've made sure you'll spend that extra C-note.

Honestly, I doubt there would have been this much whining if they had just staid with the previous 16/32/64 pricing and added on 128 for an extra $100.

So they're making money. Good for them.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

loving dick loving

Not in my loving 2014! I demand that my luxury articles follow my pre-ordained pricing pattern! loving poo poo!

What if some of the other parts that nobody thinks of went down in cost? That'd be a oval office move!

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 15, 2014

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

jackpot posted:

All anyone's saying,
No one's saying anything stupid

I fully agree. I'm actually still evaluating additional non-stupid things to say that are in line with yours. So far I've come up with the fact that cases should be free, because Apple could surely afford that. Additionally, apps should also be free, because they're just copies of a file each.

I think it's time to call this a "-gate", because that's what original people do on the internet if something's fishy. Storage-gate.

Mahoning posted:

I was going to say "I can't believe that people actually think that 16GB is insufficient for a vast majority of iPhone users" but this is from the same people who were probably like "2GB of RAM or I'll pass".

I was also going to say "Do you understand that you're not even close to the average user?" but that is repeated over and over to these type of people and they never listen so what would be different this time?

Buddy, you can't tell me that the 128 GB I'm getting is not average because I know what's up. Also, if the forums say that gold is tacky and nobody would get that, then there's no two ways about it. It's not popular with my friends either, and those are all regular people. Also, most people will show up at the store on Friday morning.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

You are consistently the worst poster in Apple threads. I wonder what that's about.

It's about you. I'm sorry that I'm not sharing your exact opinions on every little thing.

(So since you're emphasizing "consistently", I guess it also wasn't okay to bring up recently that I want more than 16 GB in a Mac Pro, even though I supported that need with data. That must also have been a bad post, for which I apologize.)

If what I'm saying bothers you so much, just ignore my posts. Interestingly, you had already announced a little while ago that you'd do that. So please actually do that now.

carry on then posted:

You know how this ends dude, just ignore him if his posts annoy you.

:agreed:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Gio posted:

I would rather have a thicker phone without a protruding camera. In terms of design I think it's bleh

Since you hate the design anyway, just cut out some cardboard in the shape of the phone, make a hole for the camera, and superglue it to the back. No more protruding camera.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I wonder what is selling more, iPhone 6 or 6+. The Apple Store was completely out of 6 cases, but they had a full wall of 6+ cases. Best Buy had a 10-15 different iPhone 6 cases, but no 6+ cases.

People are cheap. The 6 plus costs $100 more. It's also in shorter supply. Last but not least, people are also conformist, and the only "reasonable" choice that gets rammed down everybody's throat by some of the loudest people here is 6/64/Space Gray. "Oooohhh, my hands and pockets are too small" :qq: (it fits in my 501's front pocket even when sitting down, without any issues, but whatever.)

So :iiam:

To get real numbers, I'd wait at least until both are available in the same quantities. At least some people are going for the 6 because the 6 plus is hard to get.

Meanwhile, I'm immensely enjoying my 6+/128/Gold, with the Product Red case to boot.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I got a 6/64/Space Gray but not because the thread said so. In fact, I'm not sure that was the consensus recommendation of this thread, though 6/64 is the most logical of the options.

Good for you if it's the most logical choice for you, but the amount of tribalism from some people here about this is really annoying.

It's too much work now to find the "consensus recommendation" here (which could only be a majority recommendation anyway), but subjectively I'd think the pro-6 comments outnumber the pro-6-plus comments here by about ten to one.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

lelandjs posted:

To be fair, the 6 is large enough that it simply doesn't make sense for everyone. But I wanted a giant screened iPhone and I'm glad that apple was able to provide one.

I agree and I'm glad too. I think the 6 plus has some real usability and feature advantages over the 6.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Bugs wise, I've noticed the following issues:

-3rd Party Keyboards sometimes come up, other times the default one will pop up
-Some notifications will "stick" at the top of the screen until I act on them

I've had the empty spotlight search. But I remember that iOS 7.0.0 crashed and rebooted lot more for me than 8.0.0. I haven't had that with 8 yet.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Tribalism about iPhones?! :monocle:

Between them... that's the new thing.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

on a 6 it's thoroughly unnecessary and stupid.

Then don't use it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Feenix posted:

Hey all of you with SixPluses. How are you liking it after a few days? Adapting to the largesse? Able to use it efficiently? Bought a wheelbarrow for mobility? Do tell. :)

Really great for movies (compared to the 5S, not the iPad Air) and much better for some light work than the old phones. Games are also great, scaling is not much of an issue there. I've started a game of GTA San Andreas, which is really good on this. Some apps which haven't been updated yet have that "Jitterbug" look, but I guess that'll fade over the next few weeks.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's a good thing ghosts don't actually exist or Steve Jobs would be loving their poo poo up right now.

Whoever released this file needs to be tarred and feathered.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I just hate how this 8.0.1 event is going to make the "I'm still on Tiger/iOS 2.0.3/Atari DOS 2.5" laggards feel oh so smart when in reality they're just holding up progress by forcing everyone to support their old crap.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Millstone posted:

There have got to be some seriously pissed off individuals right now.

They really need to test their releases. It would have been enough to enable this OTA update an hour earlier for final internal testing only. This would have been obvious.

I wonder why they keep having these fuckups like this and others (iPhones "currently unavailable" on preorder night). Even Apple seems to have C-grade people in some positions of power.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Feenix posted:

You think they didn't test this? More logical is it got accidentally released too early, or the wrong build?

Giving limited access to internal testers before a full release is part of final testing. It's testing whether the update process for 8.0.1 is set up correctly.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Bricked device means something far far more serious than just losing cell service.

"Bricked" is the dark cousin of "Awesome" in that everything that's not total poo poo is "Awesome" and everything that has a little issue is "bricked" now.

Oh my god, the SA forums app font size is bricked!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

nate fisher posted:

You can add "Hack" to this. Everything from DDOS to rooting a phone to the very annoying idiots who post from another person's Facebook "Bobbie Sue You Been Hacked!", because the person left their Facebook logged on.

The 8.0.1 up-gate(!) hacked an awesome brick today!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

eames posted:

Listen up, Ive pushed this update so the media would stop talking about bent iPhones. It worked. Because they are now bent iPods.
Still restoring.

Now the people are getting bent out of shape. :toot:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

So here we are about 6 hours into that 8.0.1 situation, and nothing has happened yet. As Steve Jobs or Tim Cook, I'd have given the people responsible an hour to make a revert to 8.0.0 available OTA (no iTunes BS). I'd also like to see an official statement by Tim Cook.

I'm really wondering if anyone is minding the store.

In the future, there needs to be a "revert" option.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Dewgy posted:

"Make iOS do something that it literally is designed to not do, officially. YOU HAVE ONE HOUR."

Ooh yeah, the official policy. Very important when the phone isn't able to make phone calls. We must stick to our policy, and if it takes all our business with us.

Also, it is "literally" designed to run updates over the air, "literally". Take 8.0.0, relabel it 8.0.2, 8.0.1a or whatever, and push it real good.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

decypher posted:

scratch my head and wonder just what the gently caress those assholes are doing up there in Cupertino.

I am not being dramatic or cliche when I say Steve would not have allowed this to happen.

cough cough MobileMe rollout cough cough stolen iPhone 4 prototypes cough cough

This changes nothing for me, I just want to see them fix it quickly.

blugu64 posted:

There's probably not an upgrade script/rollback script/however they do it under the hood.

We can of course speculate, but I'm sure they have some procedure in place. I just think it needs to work faster.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

perpetual outrage machine.

I'm not outraged and this only inconveniences me marginally, I'm just cringing at the crap that I'll have to read/see all over the news etc.

OMG STEBE WOULD NEVER OFF OF DON THIS

I just want to have fun with my new phone, and this is a stupid detour.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm always afraid to selling something like this on Ebay because the buyer can just be a total dick.

I believe "LOLOLOL sold for $XXXX" stories when I see certified records of the transaction. Too much fraud going on. Besides, this only an offer, and hearsay at that.

Anyone "intelligent" enough to take that story at face value should buy a bridge. On eBay. You won't regret it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

iCloud hack

It's not a "hack" if your password is "123456", your wife's name or something of similar quality and then someone miraculously accesses your account, but that'll never become common knowledge.

Kobayashi posted:

what I except from Apple.

The stories of decline and impending doom are as old as the company. Whoever is the leader of anything gets 99% of the scrutiny and the news share.

Every single thing you and the person you quoted brought up is the kind of BS that applies to any person, company, movie or whatever if you dig deep enough. Apple is just under the magnifying glass.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Do not do a carrier wireless plan contract in 2016. Use the iPhone Upgrade Program to purchase an iPhone for the same amount that would be tacked on to your carrier plan anyway.

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

I don't know about that. I'm very happy that I didn't go with that. They thoroughly botched it this year (the first year that it mattered). People who went with the program were only able to order from the limited stock that the stores had. Apple has a history of using their C-Team for the website and other things related to iPhone rollouts.

What Apple should do with this program is let people outline what you want before the release even happens ("I want the next top of the line phone, for carrier XYZ, in whatever new color you happen to introduce"). You then don't even need to deal with selecting features if you don't want to (but can if you need to), and the phone gets delivered one day before general launch day as a little bonus. I'd be all over that.

In any event, even if they won't follow my brilliant suggestions, I'd have to see this work flawlessly 2-3 times in order to even consider it after what happened this year.

I do fully understand that rollouts are difficult, but this was an easily avoidable situation.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, you never sign up for services offered on sites or apps through Apple.

Yeah, and iTunes gift cards that are 15-20% discounted don't exist, and paying with store credit isn't possible, right.

Those discounts and what MrBond said are the main reasons to do it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The price is 30% more expensive through Apple !

The price for what? Netflix? I thought this was a general discussion about paying things through Apple.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Who wrote this garbage?

Yes, grandpa, please post more stories of you going out of your way to have the worst possible experience. No iCloud, no iTunes Match, syncing everything through iTunes, looks promising! I'd try using the 30-pin cable or jamming a USB-C cable into lightning!

:allears:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's just funny how Apple built an empire on that program, and now it's a rusted out jalopy in the front yard with weeds growing out of the engine bay.

Yeah I can't wrap my head around how Ford one day had the Model T and now they don't! Make up your freaking minds, guys!

xzzy posted:

Grandma keeps griping to have it sent to the scrap yard but pops just never gets around to it.

I think there's a rational justification for something like iTunes, some people (like me) are really spergy about curating their music and doing it on a computer is way more convenient than doing it in Music.app.

I just have all my music in the cloud, problem solved. I think iTunes Match still exists for those who don't want to subscribe to Apple Music.

There is such a thing as the spirit of an age, or a product. You'll have the best experience if you just go with it. The alternatives are going to require more work or be less convenient, so be prepared for that.

For the record: I've actually used iTunes a few times over the last few days for backup and restore on iPhones, and it worked for me.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I hate these fucks, it shouldn't take me an entire evening to restore a phone from back up. I'm just now almost done un-syncing and re-syncing individual artists until I don't have greyed out songs

I was like oh boy! 128gb I can finally put all my music on the phone and not worry about flawlessly streaming them from my Onedrive space through the Microsoft Groove app with my unlimited data. Turns out just putting them on the phone was the more difficult option.
:wtc:

I seriously suggest you try out some alternatives (I'm sure those other guys will have everything to your liking) and switch to those. It'll make everyone happier.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I get what you're saying USE ALL THE CLOUDS. But honestly in 2016 shouldn't just "mash a button to reliably move things over a physical wire" be an option?

I don't know which button you've mashed. Consider contacting Apple support.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I bet you they've figured out transfer data over USB.

Don't try and be a smug prick too, I've had iphones for 10 years now.

Splendid, so don't deal with Apple and us idiots, just go with the other guys!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

What if you don't have AppleCare+?

Then you better not scratch unless you know someone else who can fix it for $25.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does Apple even support iTunes for Windows anymore?

Absolutely not, so you should switch to something else.

Completely unrelated: What's the point of just posting angry grandpa issues 24/7 that you could easily fix if you googled for them?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

MrBond posted:

Huh? iTunes for windows is obviously still being made and actively supported.

It might not be *good* but that's a different problem.

Edit: don't we have a dedicated iTunes thread in SHSC? They might be a better place to ask simpler iTunes questions.

Welcome to SA, Mr. Bond! This must be your first mission or something, so let me show you around and tell you about a concept called "sarcasm".

So to lay it all out for you in non-sarcastic terms: A few abrasive curmudgeons here are about 5 years behind the times and unable to shut up about their issues related to syncing their iPhone music with iTunes. It got a little repetitive and annoying after a while and started dominating the discussion here with the usual comments people give in these situations ("OH I THOUGHT WITH APPLE EVERYTHING 'JUST WORKS', SO WHY CAN'T I USE IOS 1.0 ANYMORE, HUH?"), so some people, me among them, tried to tell them to buzz off. That's why I posted that iTunes for Windows isn't supported anymore. It was A JOKE. I hoped they'd get the hint. Looks like they might have, but you didn't.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Weedle posted:

There was no humor or indeed anything at all in your post to indicate that it was a joke rather than just someone giving inaccurate information, and writing a paragraph calling someone an idiot for not getting your non-joke just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Welcome to SA to you too!

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm a grandpa that still syncs music via iTunes, but it works fine for me so I've never looked into a different way.

I'm guessing you can just sync through iCloud?

There are of course ways to make syncing through iTunes work, such as updating everything, letting iTunes manage your collection and a few things I forgot, but with some people you hit some weird resistance when you mention them. Also I think there used to be a dedicated iTunes thread.

There's no iCloud syncing per se that I'm aware of, I've used iTunes Match and now Apple Music, which means I don't need to bother with syncing anymore.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Hdip posted:

A year ago I buy my wife an iphone 6s.

Is it at all possible you bought the phone from someone else (i.e. a person, not Apple)? Or did someone else have it for a while?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Is it somehow bad voodoo to simply move the old SIM from my old X to my new XS Max? It seems to be working and I'm able to make calls.

I'm on AT&T and didn't want to go through the process of moving the activation on their abysmal website that for some reason insists my phone has my wife's number and vice-versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

e.pilot posted:

That’s all I did with T-Mobile, I don’t know why it’d work differently than any other GSM phone ever, unless it’s trying to use the e-sim.

MarcusSA posted:

No that’s how I do it with Verizon and it’s always worked fine.

Thanks guys. On phones that are locked to AT&T, you're basically forced to activate the new one immediately, but since I got an unlocked one and didn't bother registering it when I ordered it (so as to not slow down the precarious and fragile ordering process), the phone didn't even ask me anything about activation as part of the setup.