Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Get the 5.5'' iPhone 6 Plus so that when a woman asks you how you fit it into your pocket you can say "i'm used to having 5.5 inches in my pants."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Out of curiosity, which cases are people planning on grabbing for the plus?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

I don't really get this line of reasoning because I have normal khaki pants and a 4.7" phone fits there with plenty of room (I expect a 5.5" one would be fine too).

The more expensive pants are the smaller pockets tend to be. Normal khakis should be ok, since in theory aren't they designed to hold like 4 golf balls?

Edit, ugh.. people advocating for belt clips. Are you a middle aged white guy who also uses a bluetooth headset while grocery shopping?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea, if the lines are going to be 12 hours, then just drive an hour to a store that isn't crowded or something. Like if I lived in Palo Alto, I would drive to some crappy Verizon store in Boulder Creek than wait in line.

In the end, each year the wait is like 30 minutes because of this strategy, but I only drive 15 minutes now

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Or you could get the light pink leather case which is, according to the photos on Apple's site, the same color as the gold backed phone.

At least I hope so. I'm comfortable in my sexuality but not quite enough to be carrying around a pink case.

Or just get a totally clear (or 80% clear, excepting the sides) case that won't really protect like an otterbox but keeps scratches from the sides and back.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

$300 for any model 5S? Shiiiiit yes, I may not be selling this one on Craigslist after all.

How is that better than craigslist where they sell for 400 to 500?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Because they usually don't really sell for that much unless you come across some sap who can unlock phones for free and will flip it for profit.

I mean I wouldn't think its hard to CL off a 16 gig one for 350 or more. A 32 gig one should easily get 400.. 300 seems like a flat out ripoff

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Well multiple outlets are reporting now that the 6+ will have 2GB of RAM, so that's nice. Maybe they are full of poo poo and this is echochamber stuff? It seems pretty reasonable.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

In terms of space, you could always invest 100-200 in your own personal Cloud storage device. Recent updates to WD MyCloud have really improved the quality and speed of the applications and I like it better than other cloud storage options.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Just download more if you need them

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

vyst posted:

You need to learn that everyone ITT is a power user and thinks that they are the norm with filling their phones with animes and movies to watch at all times because you never know when you need a selection of 25 HD movies to choose from.

Your arguments are culturally insensitive. Anyone with asian relatives or friends knows they will fill up a 16 gb phone with pictures alone before they leave the store.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I mean you have choices.. Do you want:

1) A slightly thicker phone whose sole purpose is to conceal the small lens bulge OR
2) A slightly thinner lens that takes worse photos and videos while maintaining the thinness of the phone

Making the phone thicker doesn't seem like an option in a year where they are enlarging the screens and need the extra 'hand hold feel.' As one benefit, I can have another method of finding which side of the phone is the top when I pick it up in the dark or from a bag.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I mean what if I don't take photos with my phone? Can I replace the camera lens with RAMs?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

The verge is an alright site to me. They get called Apple fanboys in the comments of their articles pretty frequently

Does this even matter? There are many people it seems whose job in life right now is to 'nail' anyone saying that the 6 is a good phone. So many that the comments sections are entirely irrelevant.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

My update is almost done installing, I started at 1:09

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

My update is almost done installing, I started at 1:09

Annnnd I am on iOS8. Total elapsed time: 90 minutes exactly

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Dave posted:

Interesting, it took a guy at work about 25 minutes total right when iOS8 went live.

How can that be? I mean from the very start to the very end, which includes of course installation of at least 25+ minutes

I should mention I did the entire thing from the phone

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 17, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

aBagorn posted:

I'm not getting it in search results. Boo

Me either

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I've used Swype as well as other keyboards on android/windows devices before, and now that I am using them again I find myself thinking I would prefer the normal iPhone keyboard (in iOS 8) so long as it's on a bigger screen. So good thing for the 6 I guess.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Feenix posted:

I'm still not seeing this on iOS App Store. :/

Here is how to find it. Type Swiftkey. You'll see Swiftkey Note. Open it, scroll to the bottom and hit Developer Apps. Boom, it's on that list.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

You know you're an iOS fanboi when you don't download SwiftKey because looks fugly.

It is, until you change the color theme to the light version :P

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I think there are, oddly enough, a great many consumers of phones who purchase the smallest phones (16gb or otherwise) out of some strange guilt for buying new and expensive technology. In some cases it's almost self-punishment, or a signal that they are austere or that even though they have a smart phone "they don't ever play games, take many pictures, store movies or music" etc. They are mainly boomers or older and there are a great many of them. It's not simply that people don't have money or have no use for space.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Kinda bummed that family sharing shares a single payment method. My partner and I like the idea of it, but we keep discretionary spending like music or apps separate from each other.

I mean if there is significant overlap in paid media used, then it makes a lot of sense to lose a bit of personal freedom for the sake of adding a mutual bank card as the master account. In my family's case, the overlap is probably 40%, which is still at minimum 50-100 a year in saved money. Well worth the inconvenience of having charges on my card.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Gmail app is the best option.

I've been using myMail and it is excellent. With a bigger screen, the jury might be out though, but for now I might say it's the best mail app

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Where the heck is the setting for adding people for family sharing? I skipped it when setting up the phone until my GF got iOS 8, but now that she's updated I can't find the option anywhere.

Does it work yet or not until Yosemite?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Some interesting benchmark articles are coming out (hint, the iPhone 6 is fast)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6-benchmark-results,news-19584.html

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Someone who has never set foot inside of a gym recently spotted.

Yea ripped dudes make armbands look like friendship bracelets anyway

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

iPod shuffles were made for the gym. Not bringing my phone around heavy plates and sweat.

You're small bruh, smull, brull smuh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So reachability chat, I think it's great on the regular 6, even though I claw grip the back to get access to the whole phone most of the time

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Anand tech benchmarks are out and let's just say the Android patrol is in hiding

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

Non-snarkily: is a screen protector necessary anymore?

This is the first time I am not getting one ever. I still have a clear case mate case though

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe showing a tiny shrunken moronic patch for baby fingers could be a triple tap on the home button.

Quadra tap the button to start playing my sick new EDM mix

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The 2 hour one or the 24 hour one?

Tap 24 times for the 24 hour jam.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

"What is the word I'm looking for? Quadrant? That can't be it. Quadra! Hmm, that can't be right either – whatever."

Quadruple

It really depends on how much League of Legends you play

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Solution: Case Mate or other super slim ultra clear case

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Pretty much every bend photo there is a result of an impact with, say, a car door. I personally bent an iphone when I closed the door on one, and that's how it looks. Those aren't pants bends

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Slap Happy posted:

I don't understand the forces involved in bending a phone in your front pocket. Back pocket I can understand because of a round butt exerting force. How does it get bent in the side pocket? Is there a helpful diagram?

Be fat, wear pants too tight

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I am working on a graph right now. While I am able to find obese people, I am unable to find skinny jeans people. So I need more data.

Any jeans can be skinny jeans if you're fat enough

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Are people putting the iPhone 6 plus in their pickets sideways?

Some people just don't treat their property well, and expect their cellphones to stand up to the same poor handling as all of their other personal belongings with scratches, bends, dings and knicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Jesus Christ I just visited the denim thread. The first few pages seemed fine (I could care less about selvedge jeans) so I skipped to the end, and I swear to God some Goon is wearing his jeans in the bathtub to get them to fit. You got me on that one.

The worst part is that his cell phone is in his back pocket

Watergate